Do you support a night Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

A night GF just wouldn't feel the same.

Even last year's Saturday night PF didn't feel the same, should always be a Saturday Arvo PF at the G and same with the GF. Try everything they want, Sunday twilight football, Monday night football, whatever, but keep Saturday Arvo PF and GF sacred .

bloodsports said:
I'd love a night granny. The show should go from about 3 pm to 11.00 pm with some state of origin reserves match as a televised curtin raiser !!
Except that the momentum of the buildup will be lost for half an hour while they go to the news.
And because of the time zones it'd be a disaster for WA viewers. They'd probably not get it live because the game time would interfere with the news. And unless Sydney or Brisbane were playing, it might not be shown live in NSW or Queensland.

Will happen by the end of the decade, and theres nuthin youse can do about it. I dont care actually having to wiat another five hours for a game is nuthin new, I dont buy this saturday afternoon tradition rhetoric spouted by old schoolers in the AFL. Cos if that was the case why is saturday afternoon programming so ordianry these days.

It would feel like you are winning a pre-season night premiership!
I agree with the consensus; it would feel very strange. I guess you would get used to it eventually but if it were Collingwood, for example, who won the inaugural night one...of course I would be elated but on the other hand it almost wouldn't feel the same in a strange kind of way. I don't know. It's hard to really pinpoint my emotions on this one. I can understand the arguments both for and against but I guess I just love the whole long-standing traditions of the day itself and everything that comes with it.

I am with the majority here: daytime.

Lmfao

8485, Alberton_Magpie, Beaussie, bergkamp_scores, bloodsports, bricon, brilliant pies, Cat_flying_high, crows98, cyberdog, Dan26, deck, docker_azza, Dooky, finders, Fraz, hartog, Hicham, jackd, Korn, martink, metallichris, morax, Niall, Ninety4, penga_swans, Planck, power_86, Taylz, Tormented Tiger, Truetiger, weagles_fan, wezza, yob

The entire structure of a night grand final would have to be fully investigated before I could ever support it.

The day itself is the starting point.

We all know the levels clubs go to in having grand final day functions. Breakfasts, brunches, after-match functions. These take, in some cases, a 12 month period to plan for, including ensuring the venue they want is available.

Then it comes to the match. Players probably wouldn't want to make changes to their pre-game set-up, which on the day, is often a lot different to the standard match.

Often as fans (or in the media), we lose sight of these things, important to the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheSheik said:
Since when did the AFL hand over control to the networks ??
Since when they paid the AFL $500M.

And to take the argument of '1M extra viewers', would this really be the case? Or just 1M more tv sets? (And remember that these ratings are based on a small proportion of tv's and then extrapolated accordingly.) Instead of 20 people at a bbq standing around watching it, whilst their kids went ballistic around the joint (as is the case with my friends), a significant proportion of these people would be at home because it'd be too late to take the kids out.

Whilst I can see that the game moves with the times and that a straight 'tradition' excuse can't be the be-all and end-all, I can't see how a night will benefit the game - it will benefit the clubs and the players through additional TV revenue, but how will it benefit the experience of the fans? Dan, if you want to dismiss the 'tradition' excuse as a no for the night GF, then we should remove the $$ reason as the benefit - because outside of this it appears that there is none. Fireworks?

My response is still unquestionably no.

Im a supporter of modern day football, and a Night Grand Final is thumbs up for me, I mean it started in the day because we didn't have the technogoly to host many night games 100 years ago.

A Night Grand Final is long-overdue.

Think how good the pre-game entertainment would be a night, than during the day, when the sun is shining in your eyes and hardly see anything anyway...

Footyboy said:
Think how good the pre-game entertainment would be a night, than during the day, when the sun is shining in your eyes and hardly see anything anyway...
In the words of John McEnroe....You Cannot Be Serious! Yep, the reason for me liking the GF is the pre-game entertainment. The Kath & Kim dancers, the inflatable Wayne Carey who "couldn't get it up"...

Great ******** take though.

This is a two year old thread.

Do you think no-one has changed their opinion or anyone new has signed up to BF in that time?

I think I know who the noob is. :eek:

But if the noob had have done a search he would have found it, saves so many threads on the one subject, like Anzac day, Good Friday & clash jumpers, to name a few. :p

I voted "Yes."

Having the game at night would be better for TV ratings, thus better for the AFL, and thus better for Australian rules football.

I think the "tradition" argument is pretty lame unless you are actually attending the match in person... and even then there are a ton more people watching the game on TV than there are at the ground.

As for BBQs, there is nothing to stop people from still having an afternoon BBQ (perhaps a twilight BBQ rather) and get pissed before the game starts.

And because of the time zones it'd be a disaster for WA viewers. They'd probably not get it live because the game time would interfere with the news.

The match starts at 12:30pm AWST (2:30pm AEDT) currently. I can't speak for anyone else in WA, but this West Australian would much prefer to see the game at 5:30pm AWST (7:30pm AEDT, which is probably the time the match would start).

They wouldn't delay the game in WA for the news :rolleyes: They would just have the news at 4:00pm in WA (and they would have the news at 6:00pm in VIC, NSW, QLD, TAS & ACT and 5:30pm in SA & NT).

And unless Sydney or Brisbane were playing, it might not be shown live in NSW or Queensland.

Ludicrous. Do you think old British sitcoms or old movies is going to rate higher than the Grand Final in NSW and QLD?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you support a night Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back