Coach Do you support the contract extension of Chris Scott

Do you support the 2 year extension of Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much like the knocks on Scott, Lyon creates game plans that get you there but don't get the job done at the pointy end in September. Really hope this isn't the way we go.

Since we seem to be going all in, again, then I like the idea of Lyon being there because love him or hate him, one thing Ross can do is get the most out of the foot soldiers / role players.

For the sake of winning a flag, St Kilda should have had us put away before half time in 2009, it was poor execution by their forwards, kicking points instead of goals. They were a bad bounce to Steven Milne away in the 2010 draw and in 2013, the likes of Fyfe and Pav shit the bed in the first half and kicked them out of it and Ballantyne shit the bed all day, Jack Gunston saved Hawthorn by kicking straight.

Since we seem to be going all in, again, then I like the idea of Lyon being there because love him or hate him, one thing Ross can do is get the most out of the foot soldiers / role players.

For the sake of winning a flag, St Kilda should have had us put away before half time in 2009, it was poor execution by their forwards, kicking points instead of goals. They were a bad bounce to Steven Milne away in the 2010 draw and in 2013, the likes of Fyfe and Pav sh*t the bed in the first half and kicked them out of it and Ballantyne sh*t the bed all day, Jack Gunston saved Hawthorn by kicking straight.
Hard to disagree to be honest and the same could be said of Scott the way we shit the bed in last years grand final and were overcome by Dusty kicking low percentage goals out of his arse to turn the game on its head. We also dropped a couple prelims in 2014 and 2019 against the eventual premiers that we arguably should have won as well.

Really sometimes footy comes down to luck and momentum that all the good game plan and design in the world can’t combat.

Last edited:
No, but not for the same reasons.
I wanted the club to see until next year what direction to take, if we end up doing the same as usual (finishing high but shitting the bed in finals with a style and list that doesn't stand up) and we lose a few players to retirement (Selwood almost certainly, perhaps 1 or 2 more might pull the pin early) I think it's worth doing a hard reset. You cannot do that with an established coach whose been there for 13 years and has close relationships/bias with certain players, it needs a fresh voice.
Well the club just took away that opportunity.
It seems to me we are constantly just looking to play it safe.
Why waste another year when the evidence is abundantly clear
I thought after being embarrassed finals at least the club would now realise time is up on this and yet here we are squandering another year

Why waste another year when the evidence is abundantly clear
I thought after being embarrassed finals at least the club would now realise time is up on this and yet here we are squandering another year

Contracts.
That and once Selwood, Danger, Hawkins retire the club can no longer look to top up to be "competitive" because they simply won't be competitive in the first place.
Can't do much about next year now, that horse has bolted, but beyond still had question marks that deserved to stay open, and the club closes it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid thread.
Because it doesn't matter.

But yep. Although I'm ambivalent.

I don't think it matters much at this point as the list is too far gone to win the flag. There is just no way the midfield can compete with teams like Melbourne or the Dogs at the business end. Better off Scott making finals for a couple of years and the new coach stepping in for the long haul on the rebuild post Selwood, Hawkins and Danger.

the-office-michael-scott.gif

You’re probably the only “no” that I’d be interested in understanding why CC.

hey I just wanted to post that gif!

I'm pretty moderate in most ways, Cats-wise, CE.

I like Chris Scott, and when I weigh in on this kind of stuff I always feel compelled to make the disclaimer that its nothing personal and that I have no interest in denigrating him or insulting him; he's a premiership coach for our club (a rare breed) and has steered the club with dignity for years now.

I stood next to him in the outer at Preston City Oval probably 5 years ago now and we both had our at-the-time young girls at the game, and he and I are roughly the same age etc. He's a good enough dude, as evidenced by his magnanimous decision to take a huge pay cut last year for the benefit of the club's employees.

But I've probably been a(n increasingly less) mild 'no' for quite some time now. I wasn't particularly vocal, but I wasn't happy when the club opted to extend his last contract ahead of his final contracted year.

A lot of it comes down to list management decisions, which of course isn't entirely Chris Scott's department - I've thought for quite a while now that a listing a group of younger, hungrier players, having all developed together to form the core of a side, is the best recipe for a Finals assault - you've refuted my thoughts on list building more than once in the past though CE, so I know we're at odds on that.

In some ways Melbourne's success this year reinforces my feelings on this - although I'd allow that Richmond didn't really follow that ''core of goldilocks zone demographic'' method, they having a far more piecemeal approach (skewing younger than Geelong though).

There was an article during trade week in the Age (I think) within the last week or so that mentioned a club wanting to emulate Melbourne's approach in hitting a couple of drafts hard and getting together a young core of players who could develop together - that was our method!! (I couldnt find the article to link unfortunately).

I enjoyed the first 7 or so years of Chris Scott coaching Geelong, but at a certain point it became a chore to sit through games, barring a few here and there - I'm happy to concede that is on me and my psychology as a supporter as much as anything else.

Just to make this post even longer - funnily enough I thoroughly enjoy watching the women's team even though they barely ever kick a goal, but that's another story.

Former Cat Matthew Egan in line for coaching role at Geelong

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Has it actually been confirmed by the club that he's been re-signed? I can't find anything other than what was reported.

A lot of it comes down to list management decisions, which of course isn't entirely Chris Scott's department - I've thought for quite a while now that a listing a group of younger, hungrier players, having all developed together to form the core of a side, is the best recipe for a Finals assault - you've refuted my thoughts on list building more than once in the past though CE, so I know we're at odds on that.

In some ways Melbourne's success this year reinforces my feelings on this - although I'd allow that Richmond didn't really follow that ''core of goldilocks zone demographic'' method, they having a far more piecemeal approach (skewing younger than Geelong though).

Not a stupid idea by any means. It only worked for Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond and now Melbourne.

Not a stupid idea by any means. It only worked for Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond and now Melbourne.
Are you seriously trying to tell me that players past their best that come to wind down their careers on the Surf Coast and buy a nice house aren't as hungry as these young players that have come through together and play for each other?
Big call.

NO. What's the point of having a coach who can get you in to the finals only to be flogged regularly once you get there? It defies logic.

In many finals Scott couldn't even pump the team up enough to remain competitive until quarter time! This is an indictment of his motivational skill, you would think, as much of his understanding of what is required in modern finals footy.

He is bright enough and quite articulate but too given to repeating rubbish like "our best footy is good enough to beat anyone" ( yeah right) and "we want to be playing our best footy t the end of the year" (if only).

So NO NO and NO.
This sounds like the height of ignorance. You comment on a coach who was able to win a flag, played in a 3-peat era under Leigh Matthews, and has been able to get his team into contention a record number of times, and suggest he lacks motivational skill and what it takes to succeed in finals.
Until such time that he is dismissed, given that SHocking has now replaced Cook, he remains the best person for the job. Let's examine the actual list more closely- that's what needs overhauling, but that is the most difficult challenge, given that the best in the job in S Wells believes we are still top4 worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back