Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No they aren't that's up to the government. They haven't decided which plan to go ahead with yet. This is only taking over current ownership.

The report I just read on fox sports says the plan is to invest 300 million into it. Can only quote what I just read. If the AFL own it then I am not sure the government will be paying or have a say.

No they aren't that's up to the government. They haven't decided which plan to go ahead with yet. This is only taking over current ownership.

It was reported earlier this year that the league is planning a $300 million revamp of the precinct which is likely to include a new waterside gateway, open-air bars, parks and a running track.

The report I just read on fox sports says the plan is to invest 300 million into it. Can only quote what I just read. If the AFL own it then I am not sure the government will be paying or have a say.
Regardless of who owns the stadium the state and federal governments are always lobbied for the lion's share of construction funding. That's why it's important if they agree or not

AFL buys Etihad Stadium for $150-200 million

Date October 7, 2016 - 11:09AM

FIRST ON 3AW

The AFL has officially taken ownership of Etihad Stadium.

The AFL would have taken ownership of the stadium for just $30 in March 2025, but decided to jump early.

Just a few weeks ago, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan told 3AW that plans were in the works to make a move.

"There's a chance. There was a chance six months ago and a chance a year ago," McLachlan told Neil Mitchell.

"We just keep chipping away."

And early on Tuesday, The Rumour File predicted the sale would be completed imminently.

The price is believed to be between $150 to $200 million.

It is hoped tenant clubs St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Carlton, Essendon, and North Melbourne will benefit from the deal.

Current deals with the stadium require these clubs to reach a crowd of around 26,000 to break even, a much higher threshold than other grounds.

North Melbourne Chairman James Brayshaw once branded the deal the "worst in the history of world sport".

I pay my $500 a year for redlegs membership and when Melbourne play a home game at etihad stadium I have to go to level 3 or cram into some spot at level 1. I would say this is the main reason Melbourne supporters don't go to etihad home matches.
Plus Melbourne never win a game there. Pig of a ground. I was hoping it would be converted into apartments. I was going to buy one off the plan and first day of settlement set fire to it. That's how much I dislike this place.

You know, if Eddie so desperately needs a new stadium, then just build a new one on the site of the existing Etihad Stadium ... oh no ... of course that'll never fly cause Eddie couldn't have a players race running under Swan Street directly from the Holden Centre to his club's spanking new home ground.

That's the real agenda, lets's be politically incorrect and call a bloody shovel a spade!

I don't believe Ed's stadium concept was ever genuine.

IMHO it was all part of a coordinated negotiating tactic by the AFL to buy Etihad. That and talks of building a new boutique 25,000 seat stadium in Melbourne / upgrading Princes Park / upgrading Whitten Oval.

You watch, all talk about any of that stuff will now fizzle (for about 10 years anyway)

Ed's real agenda? Moving any Collingwood home games out of Etihad and over to the MCG probably would have been one part of it.

I don't believe Ed's stadium concept was ever genuine.

IMHO it was all part of a coordinated negotiating tactic by the AFL to buy Etihad. That and talks of building a new boutique 25,000 seat stadium in Melbourne / upgrading Princes Park / upgrading Whitten Oval.

You watch, all talk about any of that stuff will now fizzle (for about 10 years anyway)

Ed's real agenda? Moving any Collingwood home games out of Etihad and over to the MCG probably would have been one part of it.
I suspect you are bang on the money here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus Melbourne never win a game there. Pig of a ground. I was hoping it would be converted into apartments. I was going to buy one off the plan and first day of settlement set fire to it. That's how much I dislike this place.

Dees not playing well there (despite losing everywhere else in years passed) and your club's memberships not being set up well for Etihad is a strange reason to criticise it. Both seem like the club's problem.

Dees not playing well there (despite losing everywhere else in years passed) and your club's memberships not being set up well for Etihad is a strange reason to criticise it. Both seem like the club's problem.
ASADA.

Is that a "hurr hurr your club" jab to duck from a discussion? If you don't want to respond then don't. I mean, the petulant response wasn't needed. I wasn't trolling your club.
The ban for drug cheating is lifted and you come out and point out problems with other clubs within a month. I wasn't being petulant but your response is the arrogance and ignorance that I have come to expect from Essendon supporters. You are in the glass house until the last of those involved has left the club. Until then, put the stones away. Cheers.

The ban for drug cheating is lifted and you come out and point out problems with other clubs within a month. I wasn't being petulant but your response is the arrogance and ignorance that I have come to expect from Essendon supporters. You are in the glass house until the last of those involved has left the club. Until then, put the stones away. Cheers.
"Until the last of those involved have left the club" Is that why your pathetic club pays overs for our "drug cheat's"?

I pointed out that Melbourne haven't won much in general over the last few years. Which is true. Why attack me? My team has nothing to do with it. Did I say Essendon had been superb in the same time span? No, I didn't, because they haven't been much chop either. Way to overreact.

imagine if AFL did sell it off for developments and invested that money into the tenant clubs home grounds so they could play home again. Even if each stadium had 25-30k. Four more boutique stadiums for four teams, Melbourne would be a buzz each round.:D

anyway, onto the renovation to get it looking great.

A stadium pretty much in the CBD with close access to every bit of public transport imaginable including Melbourne's biggest railway station. Bourke Street and many other pubs/bars close by, anyone who thinks Etihad should be knocked down just because their club can't win their is stupid. Melbourne haven't won many games in general over the last 10 years so your premise has massive holes. Compared to other stadiums I've been to in the world, it's far and away in one of the best locations and one of the better facilities. Do you want a stadium at your door? Ffs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back