FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

i enjoyed it. The “messages” were delivered like a stiff blow to the head, but RTD doesn’t do subtle.

Similar to last week, the story doesn’t hang together particularly upon reflection, which I guess is something we now just need to accept.

I would say putting two 'Doctor-lite' episodes back to back may not have played too well for some people

It is frustrating in such a short season. At least in the era of Blink and Turn Left they were part of a 12 episode series. Gatwa is the best part of the show right now by a mile, so getting short changed in two of eight feels like there should have been another way.

Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 5.28.21 PM.png

I really hope this is the case. Some of my criticism may be premature if they do something to bring these things together.
They directly cited it in this episode. The old lady was in 73 yards and Boom.

i enjoyed it. The “messages” were delivered like a stiff blow to the head, but RTD doesn’t do subtle.

Similar to last week, the story doesn’t hang together particularly upon reflection, which I guess is something we now just need to accept.

It is frustrating in such a short season. At least in the era of Blink and Turn Left they were part of a 12 episode series. Gatwa is the best part of the show right now by a mile, so getting short changed in two of eight feels like there should have been another way.

View attachment 2008705
Isn't it a ten ep season?

Fantastic episode, although was funny watching ruby become Clara instead of rose.
Heard on the Big Blue Box Podcast that this was an episode originally written for Capaldi and Coleman - its why Millie gave off very strong Clara vibes as she was approaching the Doctor and the Mine

Heard on the Big Blue Box Podcast that this was an episode originally written for Capaldi and Coleman - its why Millie gave off very strong Clara vibes as she was approaching the Doctor and the Mine
Also explains the reference to the moon and the presidents wife, a line capaldi uses in another episode.

Just watched the Hand of Fear again tonight before the footy.

My God, it's absolutely boring, lifeless tripe despite Sarah's emotional exit

By a considerable margin the worst story of the Hinchcliffe era.

Bob Baker and Dave Martin are two of the worst writers in Doctor Who history.

The only story they script wrote that was half way good was The Claws of Axos

Just watched the Hand of Fear again tonight before the footy.

My God, it's absolutely boring, lifeless tripe despite Sarah's emotional exit

By a considerable margin the worst story of the Hinchcliffe era.

Bob Baker and Dave Martin are two of the worst writers in Doctor Who history.

The only story they script wrote that was half way good was The Claws of Axos
Piss off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliant episode this week.

I think it's my favourite of the Ncuti era yet.

A delight from start to finish..

Definitely a homage to Grimm (another sci-fantasy show I am a fan of)

Jonathan Groff was bloody brilliant as Rogue and definitely will be back at some point.

10/10 an instant classic

Quite enjoyed it but not my favourite of this series. Still enjoyable enough.

I'm sure there will plenty of critics re the romance element though.

I still want to know how Rogue managed to push Ruby out of the transporter, given that her foot was seemingly glued to the ground when the transporter activated. I get the one-out-one-in thing, and that he was sacrificing himself for her. I just don't get how he physically knocked her out of the transporter triangle, short of amputating her legs at the knee.

I still want to know how Rogue managed to push Ruby out of the transporter, given that her foot was seemingly glued to the ground when the transporter activated. I get the one-out-one-in thing, and that he was sacrificing himself for her. I just don't get how he physically knocked her out of the transporter triangle, short of amputating her legs at the knee.

I can only think that he stepped on first which released her, but yes that was a bit of a head scratch moment.

I can only think that he stepped on first which released her, but yes that was a bit of a head scratch moment.
The current series has had far too many of these head-scratch moments. The previous episode (73 Yards) made almost no sense at all, if you actually stopped to think about things.

Essentially, the last 2 episodes have only been resolved by Deus Ex Machina (machinery of the Gods), not by anything which can be explained logically - not even in Doctor gobbledegook.

The current series has had far too many of these head-scratch moments. The previous episode (73 Yards) made almost no sense at all, if you actually stopped to think about things.

Essentially, the last 2 episodes have only been resolved by Deus Ex Machina (machinery of the Gods), not by anything which can be explained logically - not even in Doctor gobbledegook.

73 yards I saw a few good explainers (some might have been in here?) and the unanswered questions are more a deliberate choice than a plot hole IMO (e.g. did the PM still rise to power?)

73 yards I saw a few good explainers (some might have been in here?) and the unanswered questions are more a deliberate choice than a plot hole IMO (e.g. did the PM still rise to power?)
I was thinking along the lines of:
  • What did Old Ruby say, which made everyone run away in terror, and refuse to have anything further to do with Young Ruby?
  • How did Old Ruby manage to blur her image in photos? I get that 73 yards is the point at which the human eye, unaided, loses the ability to focus on details - but that shouldn't apply to anything other than the unaided human eye.
  • How did Old Ruby manage to keep getting ahead of Young Ruby? For example, Young Ruby kept seeing Old Ruby standing in the side streets, while Young Ruby was riding on the train. How did she keep getting ahead of the train?
  • How do they explain the paradox, created by Old Ruby preventing The Doctor from treading on the fairy circle? If The Doctor doesn't tread on the circle, then Old Ruby doesn't end up standing there warning him, resulting in him treading on the circle.

... and that's before we even think about the PM.

some of these are deliberately unanswered questions - e.g. what Old Ruby said. The rest of it was just RTD being lazy, leaving gaping logic holes, hoping we wouldn't notice because it was a nice character-driven story.

I was thinking along the lines of:
  • What did Old Ruby say, which made everyone run away in terror, and refuse to have anything further to do with Young Ruby?
  • How did Old Ruby manage to blur her image in photos? I get that 73 yards is the point at which the human eye, unaided, loses the ability to focus on details - but that shouldn't apply to anything other than the unaided human eye.
  • How did Old Ruby manage to keep getting ahead of Young Ruby? For example, Young Ruby kept seeing Old Ruby standing in the side streets, while Young Ruby was riding on the train. How did she keep getting ahead of the train?
  • How do they explain the paradox, created by Old Ruby preventing The Doctor from treading on the fairy circle? If The Doctor doesn't tread on the circle, then Old Ruby doesn't end up standing there warning him, resulting in him treading on the circle.

... and that's before we even think about the PM.

some of these are deliberately unanswered questions - e.g. what Old Ruby said. The rest of it was just RTD being lazy, leaving gaping logic holes, hoping we wouldn't notice because it was a nice character-driven story.

I think a lot of that can be put down to the magic of the circle the Doctor interrupted and what it did to Ruby. I think the theme of this season has been the bleeding in of magical elements that haven't previously been prominent in Doctor Who, but were caused by Tenant/Toymaker plot.

I think a lot of that can be put down to the magic of the circle the Doctor interrupted and what it did to Ruby. I think the theme of this season has been the bleeding in of magical elements that haven't previously been prominent in Doctor Who, but were caused by Tenant/Toymaker plot.
They have 2 episodes left, and it's possible that a lot of answers will be provided - once we finally discover Ruby's origin story.

I don't think we'll ever get an explanation for Old Ruby's ability to teleport herself, or Rogue's ability to push her out of the teleporter triangle while her feet were effectively glued to the ground... and that's both disappointing and sloppy writing.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

Back