Does Izak Rankine have the highest natural talent in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

dude, he's kicked like 2 more goals than Windsor who doesn't even play in the forward line. And good luck comparing Watson to the real Wizard who kicked 9 goals in a half, took marks of the century contenders, goal of the years and almost 500 goals over a long career.

Correct, he didn't give himself the nickname. But people shouldn't be calling him that. It's disrespectful to an all time great. Or do we start calling Grainger-barass the 'G-train' while we're at it?

The point is that you are trying to compare the first year of a kid's career to the best performances of a 240 game player.
Farmer was a star over a long period of time, but at the start of his career he was no better than Watson.

Can Watson reach those heights over his whole career? Maybe. He is only 11 games into it ffs.

You want to make comparisons between Watson and Windsor?

Sure, Watson only has 2 more goals than Windsor, but he's also played 7 less games. In fact, Watson averages twice as many goals per game.

Pretty poor of Windsor as a midfielder to only average 4 more disposals per game than a small forward in Watson.
Windsor averages 2 more clangers per game than Watson as well, so I guess we can make that only two 'useful' disposals per game more than Watson.

Watson averages the same amount of tackles and marks per game, which are much harder to come across in the forward line as well.

At the end of the day, Windsor looks like he'll be a solid 200 game player.
But if you gave the 18 clubs the option of taking Windsor or Watson, I can guarantee that almost all of them would pick Watson.

The point is that you are trying to compare the first year of a kid's career to the best performances of a 240 game player.
Farmer was a star over a long period of time, but at the start of his career he was no better than Watson.

Can Watson reach those heights over his whole career? Maybe. He is only 11 games into it ffs.

You want to make comparisons between Watson and Windsor?

Sure, Watson only has 2 more goals than Windsor, but he's also played 7 less games. In fact, Watson averages twice as many goals per game.

Pretty poor of Windsor as a midfielder to only average 4 more disposals per game than a small forward in Watson.
Windsor averages 2 more clangers per game than Watson as well, so I guess we can make that only two 'useful' disposals per game more than Watson.

Watson averages the same amount of tackles and marks per game, which are much harder to come across in the forward line as well.

At the end of the day, Windsor looks like he'll be a solid 200 game player.
But if you gave the 18 clubs the option of taking Windsor or Watson, I can guarantee that almost all of them would pick Watson.
he plays on a wing. not exactly inside mid. Watson roams high up the ground. I'm more than happy with Windsor. I think Watson will be a very good player but at this stage he hasn't shown the elite finishing that he was recruited to do. Will he in time? he'll definitely improve. i just think the nickname is cringe.

he has been a good player, before this year. in defence. you think Adelaide would've offered 2 first rounders for a guy that had shown nothing? Petty will be fine with an injury free pre-season

Your mob offered two first rounders for the chance to draft Watson lol.

The Wiz is a freak. Very much deserves to be discussed in this thread.

I would say Rankine and Daicos. Both guys are just absolute naturals.

Your mob offered two first rounders for the chance to draft Watson lol.

The Wiz is a freak. Very much deserves to be discussed in this thread.

I would say Rankine and Daicos. Both guys are just absolute naturals.
which part is he a freak? his goal kicking has been awful. that's just a fact I'm sorry.

THere's only 1 Wizard and that's Jeff Farmer. What have you seen from nick Watson? Horrendous accuracy in front of goal. Hell he even missed a shot from the goal square when Sicily yelled at him.
It's freakin hilarious how triggered people get by the stupid "Wizard" nickname. Freo fans and Dees fans seem to be the most bent out of shape about it due to Jeff Farmer being called the Wizard some 20 years ago.. 🧙‍♂️

It makes sense that the two AFL fanbases who have had the least to cheer about would care so much about trivial shit.

Watson's "Wizard" monicker was the handiwork of Cal Twomey on AFL.com which all of the tv commentators have decided to run with. His mates have taken to calling him Wizard as a joke. Nobody cares, dude...

Watson himself just smirks and shrugs it off. He doesn't give a rat's arse what people call him or say about him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Watson's football ability and output, I think it's great that Hawthorn have plucked a legit star from the national draft who will become the gun forward that Melbourne fans dreamed they had after they'd drafted Kysaiah Pickett.

Which reminds me... There's only one "Kozzy" and that was Justin Koschitzke... How lame was it by the Dees fans to give the "Kozzy" nickname to a young gun named Kysaiah? (Worst. Nickname. Ever.)

I'm surprised that Kozy Pickett hasn't been mentioned more times in this thread...

Now there's a player with more natural talent than almost every other player in the AFL... which we rarely see.... unfortunately... He's played 100 games, but only been awarded Brownlow votes in 5 of those.

He's pretty much teased us all with brief flickers of his amazing match-winning capabilities. Imagine if/when he ever puts it all together for a whole season ???? Wow! Wouldn't that be something?

My guess is now that Melbourne's Golden Goodwin Dynasty has died in the arse after 1 flukey Covid/Perth flag and 2 straight sets finals exits, it will become inevitable that Pickett will want to go back to WA.

Read this article from the Dees website. Kozzy elaborates about his brief visit back home to WA with his young baby daughter. You can tell how much it meant to him.

“I grew up there, all my family live there, my mom's side of the family, my mom, my nanna,” Kysaiah said. "I learned how to play footy there actually, and basically did all my primary schooling there before I moved over to Adelaide. That's probably where most of my favourite memories are. I had a lot of friends, a lot of my family members were going to school with me. To see my family, my mum, my nanna, my little sisters, that's why I love it.”

Kysaiah has spent many hours in and around Quairading with friends and family over the years, from pre-seasons running along the road to the Toapin Weir to campfires at his Nanna’s. But no visit has been quite as special as his most recent in May. Having welcomed his first-born baby Belleny with partner Ardu in April, the three made the long 3,000km trip to the Western Australian town to introduce their new baby girl to the family.

“Going back home is always pretty special for myself, it’s my relaxing place,” Kysaiah said.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kozzy Pickett would have the fastest twitch fibers in the league, its awesome to watch

Charlie Curnow is a bit of a freak with his pure athleticism

It's freakin hilarious how triggered people get by the stupid "Wizard" nickname. Freo fans and Dees fans seem to be the most bent out of shape about it due to Jeff Farmer being called the Wizard some 20 years ago.. 🧙‍♂️

You do realise this latest Wizard tag was the handiwork of Cal Twomey on AFL.com which all of the tv commentators have decided to run with? Watson's mates and teammates have taken to calling him Wizard as a joke. Nobody cares, dude... Watson himself just smirks and shrugs it off. He doesn't give a rat's arse what people call him or say about him.

Anyway, on the subject of his actual football ability and output, I think it's great that Hawthorn have plucked a legit star from the national draft who will become the gun forward that Melbourne fans dreamed they had after they'd drafted Kysaiah Pickett...

Which reminds me... There's only one "Kozzy" and that was Justin Koschitzke... How lame was it by the Dees fans to give the "Kozzy" nickname to a young gun named Kysaiah? The. Worst. Nickname. Ever.

--------------------------------------

I'm surprised that Pickett hasn't been mentioned more times in this thread... Now there's a player with more natural talent than almost every other player in the AFL... which we rarely see.... unfortunately... He's played 100 games, but only been awarded Brownlow votes in 5 of those. He's pretty much teased us all with brief flickers of his amazing match-winning capabilities. Imagine if/when he ever puts it all together for a whole season ???? Wow! Wouldn't that be something?

My guess is now that Melbourne's Golden Goodwin Dynasty has died in the arse after 1 flukey Covid/Perth flag and 2 straight sets finals exits, it will become inevitable that Pickett will want to go back to WA.

Read this article from the Dees website. Kozzy elaborates about his brief visit back home to WA with his young baby daughter. You can tell how much it meant to him.

“I grew up there, all my family live there, my mom's side of the family, my mom, my nanna,” Kysaiah said. "I learned how to play footy there actually, and basically did all my primary schooling there before I moved over to Adelaide. That's probably where most of my favourite memories are. I had a lot of friends, a lot of my family members were going to school with me. To see my family, my mum, my nanna, my little sisters, that's why I love it.”

Kysaiah has spent many hours in and around Quairading with friends and family over the years, from pre-seasons running along the road to the Toapin Weir to campfires at his Nanna’s. But no visit has been quite as special as his most recent in May. Having welcomed his first-born baby Belleny with partner Ardu in April, the three made the long 3,000km trip to the Western Australian town to introduce their new baby girl to the family.

“Going back home is always pretty special for myself, it’s my relaxing place,” Kysaiah said.
lol. what are you banging on about. What are you even saying about Kozzie Pickett. He's a very good player obviously so no idea what you're talking about. Pickett has kicked 40+ goals twice in a season, with 37 last year. Not bad for a guy that only just turned 23.

Maybe wait until Watson becomes a good player before comparing him to a great player.

lol. what are you banging on about. What are you even saying about Kozzie Pickett. He's a very good player obviously so no idea what you're talking about. Pickett has kicked 40+ goals twice in a season, with 37 last year. Not bad for a guy that only just turned 23.

Maybe wait until Watson becomes a good player before comparing him to a great player.
LOL

Pickett isn't a great player. He has barely scratched the surface of his talent. He's been a full-time small forward in a top 4 team... A team with a dominant midfield but without any key forwards to speak of. He's played 101 games, but only kicked more than 3 goals in 5 of those games. That isn't great output from a bloke who averages barely 10 touches per game.

One of the most talented individuals I've seen in my decades of following AFL/VFL footy. Yet so unbelievably inconsistent. He dominates for 5 minutes and then disappears. It's like he doesn't even realise how good he can be.

Melbourne fans will probably never get to see it unfortunately. He will go back home to WA and play a few seasons for Fremantle or West Coast.

Hopefully, he can put his full talent on display for one or two seasons before he loses interest and drifts away.

LOL

Pickett isn't a great player. He has barely scratched the surface of his talent. He's been a full-time small forward in a top 4 team... A team with a dominant midfield but without any key forwards to speak of. He's played 101 games, but only kicked more than 3 goals in 5 of those games. That isn't great output from a bloke who averages barely 10 touches per game.

One of the most talented individuals I've seen in my decades of following AFL/VFL footy. Yet so unbelievably inconsistent. He dominates for 5 minutes and then disappears. It's like he doesn't even realise how good he can be.

Melbourne fans will probably never get to see it unfortunately. He will go back home to WA and play a few seasons for Fremantle or West Coast.

Hopefully, he can put his full talent on display for one or two seasons before he loses interest and drifts away.
HAHAHA.

Pickett has kicked 152 goals from his first 101 games.

Cyril Rioli 140 goals from his first 106 games.

Put that in your pipe.

I would argue that athletic ability and skill execution is the differentiation here, not the race of the player or your implication that posters like myself are asserting that indigenous players aren’t hard workers (point to where anyone said that)

Do you think that Nasiah, K Pickett, W Rioli and L Ryan are not freak talents? Nasiah hits the hardest kicks at his best, K Pickett has an innate ability around goal, W Rioli is amazing on both feet and is so quick hand to foot and Liam Ryan has a leap and incredible foot skills

No more than any other players. I think some including yourself discount Aboriginal players hard work for "natural ability".

Lachie Whitfield's field kicking is that due to hard work or natural ability?
Luke Bruest's innate ability around goal, is that due to hard work or natural ability?
Steele Sidebottom ability to kick both feet and quick by hand is that due to hard work or natural ability?
Jeremy Howe's leap and incredible foot skills is that due to hard work or natural ability?

I don't doubt that all the players mentioned have a level of natural ability but just cherry picking a bunch of Aboriginal players and saying they have the highest natural ability is disrespectful to the hard work put in by them to be AFL footballers.

There are players who are great because of their work rate and discipline, and then there are players who are just natural freaks. Cyril Rioli, Eddie Betts, Darren Jarman type players.
As it stands, is Izak Rankine the most naturally talented player in the AFL now?.
It's not about where he sits now, it's about his freakish talent.

Who else is up there?
No.

Id have to say Curnow is the best 'talent'

Best contested mark in the comp, strong, good runner, huge leap, extremely good 1 on 1, probably the best KPF once the ball hits the deck and can kick it 60m off a step. And that's all after almost 3 years of repeat knee injuries.

He’s the best in the league at getting BS free kicks awarded too.

No more than any other players. I think some including yourself discount Aboriginal players hard work for "natural ability".

Lachie Whitfield's field kicking is that due to hard work or natural ability?
Luke Bruest's innate ability around goal, is that due to hard work or natural ability?
Steele Sidebottom ability to kick both feet and quick by hand is that due to hard work or natural ability?
Jeremy Howe's leap and incredible foot skills is that due to hard work or natural ability?

I don't doubt that all the players mentioned have a level of natural ability but just cherry picking a bunch of Aboriginal players and saying they have the highest natural ability is disrespectful to the hard work put in by them to be AFL footballers.
I highlighted more than a few indigenous players champion, I am by no stretch suggesting that those indigenous players I had mentioned did not work hard for their skill

I am just highlighting the players I think are the most naturally talented in the league

Just so happens that a lot of indigenous blokes have some incredible traits that lend themselves really well to a sport like AFL. Doesn’t mean they don’t work just as hard as the bloke next to them. I’d suggest Ed Curnow is the hardest worker in our clubs history but I’d not have him in the top 100 players, whereas Eddie Betts would’ve been a decently hard worker and in our top 20. Fev was not a very hard worker and is easily in our top 20 too.

Charlie Curnow is a shout. What he has going for him, you can’t teach. His bag of tricks may not be as big but I’d take him over Rankine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Izak Rankine have the highest natural talent in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back