Flogstradamus Does Norf have a better player than Bernie Vince?

Remove this Banner Ad

Being tagged =/= being matched up.
Jones had no impact on the game (neither did Murphy) thus proving that taggers are a waste of space.

Being tagged =/= being matched up.
Jones had no impact on the game (neither did Murphy) thus proving that taggers are a waste of space.
Sig Worthy

Being tagged is the same as being the tagger- if the tagger makes a bigger difference to the game then they have won quite comprehensively.

Sig Worthy

Being tagged is the same as being the tagger- if the tagger makes a bigger difference to the game then they have won quite comprehensively.

Like I said, Jones and Murphy both had negligible impact on the game. Murphy, by being tagged, also took away Jones (the "elite" mid) from the game and allowed a B-grader like Curnow to lead the possy counts. Yes we lost the game but sadly that's not how we judge individuals.

That is true to an extent, but you realise you're conceding that Jones averages more then 28 disposals and a goal per game? That makes him elite.

Like I said, Jones and Murphy both had negligible impact on the game. Murphy, by being tagged, also took away Jones (the "elite" mid) from the game and allowed a B-grader like Curnow to lead the possy counts. Yes we lost the game but sadly that's not how we judge individuals.
LOL.."negligible impact on the game". Let's see who gets the 3 votes.

I can tell you now who it will be: N Jones.

That is true to an extent, but you realise you're conceding that Jones averages more then 28 disposals and a goal per game? That makes him elite.

How am I conceding that?
I'll concede the game is an anomaly because Carlton were shit.

LOL.."negligible impact on the game". Let's see who gets the 3 votes.

I can tell you now who it will be: N Jones.

Simpson or Curnow were BOG.
Frawley for Melbourne.
Be a shame if taggers started polling votes.

How am I conceding that?
I'll concede the game is an anomaly because Carlton were shit.

Simpson or Curnow were BOG.
Frawley for Melbourne.
Be a shame if taggers started polling votes.
Yes I'm sure a Carlton player will get the 3 votes in a fairly convincing loss.

It will be Jones or Frawley, and my tip is Jones.

He's not a tagger. He just runs both ways and is capable of having an impact offensively and defensively in equal measure. I can understand how this confuses you with your bunch of peahearts in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taggers are allowed to poll votes when they get goals and give match-winning performances. It was one of the few Melbourne games I've seen where Jones wasn't clearly BOG.

You're conceding that Murphy and Jones both shut each other down, yet Jones still got 28 disposals and a goal. Usually his possessions are more contested then they were that game, and that's why I found him less impressive that game.

Jones isn't a tagger btw, but he did a good job on murphy that game (Although I think his effectiveness on murphy was a bit overhyped by the media saying it was a "ingenius" by Paul Roos and stuff)

You're both embarassingly wrong.
The Carlton/Melbourne game was an anomaly/shouldn't count. Like Riewoldt's 11 goals vs GWS.
He shines because he's surrounded by numpties. The same effect that led Adam Goodes to be a dual Brownlow medallist, only Jones will never achieve that because he's about 4 or 5 tiers below the elite of the competition.

The Carlton/Melbourne game was an anomaly/shouldn't count. Like Riewoldt's 11 goals vs GWS.
He shines because he's surrounded by numpties. The same effect that led Adam Goodes to be a dual Brownlow medallist, only Jones will never achieve that because he's about 4 or 5 tiers below the elite of the competition.
You need to stop posting now.

lol if you want to call it an anomaly, lets grab another one. I promise jones will be one of the best in any game this year.
That being said, I'm out. I cbf arguing with someone who recons Jones would be traded/delisted by most teams.

And for how many years now have you considered yourselves contenders for the 8? Given you were actually in the 8 the year before Scott took over.
We've been contending the 8 for virtually my whole lifetime of following the club. The only years we really fell away were 01, 06 and 09. Other than that we have generally either just snuck in or just missed out. I'd much rather be contending for the top 4/premiership every year of course, but nonetheless am proud that my club never bottoms out for long periods of time. We have too much pride for that.

lol..yeah, it's a little hairy.

"Contenders" doesn't mean contenders for finals genius. If you're not top four, you're not a contender. You got comfortably beaten by the team that just lost by 110 points to an actual contender.
Yeah and we also beat the team that beat the contender by 110 points by 40 points who lost to GWS by 30 points. Wow I'm dizzy.

Yeah that's why we've beaten Sydney, Freo and Port. :rolleyes:
Theres no use trying to use facts and stats when discussing Melbourne. I for one dont like comparing our clubs (8 years since theyve beaten us, 20 goal loss in 2013, Jack Watts etc) so to cheer you Melbourne folk up I have come up with a rap sheet of just how BAD you have been and how surely the worse is behind you :)
After all you have suffered enough and it surely couldnt get any worse- could it?
The decline of the Melbourne football club! for all to see! credit to Joshen for finding this

2007: Brock McLean, spoken as the next captain of the Club, breaks his foot in Round 1
2007: Melbourne beings the season with 0 wins, 9 losses after starting the season as one of the Premiership favourites
2007: Melbourne chokes in games against Port Adelaide (5 points), Western Bulldogs (6 points) and North Melbourne (1 point) in the space of four weeks
2007: Neale Daniher - the Club's third longest-serving coach of all time - and Melbourne announce they will part ways after Round 13
2007: Round 13: Scott Lucas kick a goal with 11 seconds left to see Melbourne lose by 2 points - its fourth loss within one goal in eight weeks
2007: Melbourne loses to Collingwood in David Neitz's 300th match. Neitz is the only Melbourne player to reach this figure in more than 150 years
2007: Melbourne finishes the year placed 14th (of 16) on the ladder with 5 wins, 17 losses - statistically its worst season in a decade
2007: Chris Judd chooses Carlton over his childhood club Melbourne, citing Melbourne's poor facilities as a contributing factor
2007: Dean Bailey appointed as Head Coach for 2008 and beyond over competitors including four-time premiership coach Kevin Sheedy
2007: Melbourne chooses Cale Morton (#4), Jack Grimes (#14), Addam Maric (#21), Kyle Cheney (#53) and Tom McNamara (#66) over over Patrick Dangerfield (#10), Harry Taylor (#17), Scott D. Thompson (#37), Cale Hooker (#54) and Kepler Bradley (#69) in the National Draft

2008: Melbourne 'celebrates' its 150th year (est. 1858) with losses of 104 points in Round 1, and 95 points in Round 2
2008: Melbourne enters Round 3 against reigning premiers Geelong as with some of the longest odds in AFL history
2008: AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou labels Melbourne's brand as "meaningless"
2008: Hawthorn President Jeff Kennett pushes for Melbourne to be relocated to Queensland
2008: Club President Paul Gardner overrun and replaced by Jim Stynes
2008: Melbourne goes through the entire season placed last on the ladder
2008: Melbourne finishes the year placed 16th (of 16) on the ladder with 3 wins, 19 losses
2008: Melbourne 'wins' the wooden spoon for the first time in 11 years
2008: Club games, goals and games captained record holder David Neitz retires following a neck injury
2008: Adem Yze and Jeff White - All-Australians who had played 271 and 268 games respectively - are forced into retirement
2008: Melbourne chooses Jack Watts (#1), Sam Blease (#17), James Strauss (#19), Jamie Bennell (#35), Neville Jetta (#51) and Rohan Bail (#64) over Nic Naitanui (#2), Dayne Beams (#29), Daniel Hannebery (#30), Rory Sloane (#44), Michael Walters (#53) and Shane Savage (#75) in the National Draft

2009: Melbourne starts the season with 1 win in its first 13 games (by 8 points against Richmond, who finished the season above only Melbourne)
2009: Melbourne scores just 34 points against Adelaide at the MCG in Round 5
2009: In the same match, Melbourne hosts the lowest crowd (14,129) at the MCG in fifteen years
2009: Club President Jim Stynes announces that he has been diagnosed with cancer
2009: Melbourne finishes the year placed 16th (of 16) on the ladder with 4 wins, 18 losses
2009: Melbourne 'wins' the wooden spoon for the second year running
2009: Shaun Burgoyne meets with Melbourne but decides to be traded to Hawthorn instead
2009: Brock McLean leaves the club, requesting a trade to Carlton
2009: Russell Robertson, who had played 228 games, is forced into retirement
2009: Melbourne chooses Tom Scully (#1), Jack Trengove (#2), Jordan Gysberts (#11), Luke Tapscott (#18), Max Gawn (#34) and Jack Fitzpatrick (#50) over Dustin Martin (#3), Nathan Fyfe (#20), Jake Carlisle (#24), Luke Ball (#30) and Matt Maguire (#91)

2010: Melbourne is again demolished in Round 1, losing to Hawthorn by almost ten goals
2010: Ricky Petterd drops a mark in the goal square with 1 second left, meaning that Melbourne loses to Collingwood by a solitary point in Round 2
2010: Melbourne finishes the year placed 12th (of 16) on the ladder with 8 wins, 1 draw and 13 losses
2010: James McDonald - an All-Australian who had played 251 games - is forced into retirement
2010: Following McDonald's treatment, Cameron Bruce, who had played 224 games, walks away from Melbourne into the pre-season draft
2010: Melbourne chooses Lucas Cook (#12), Jeremy Howe (#33) and Troy Davis (#50) over Jack Darling (#26), Luke Parker (#40) and Paul Puopolo (#66)

2011: Melbourne continues its run of being winless in the first two rounds in Round 2, when it gives up a three goal lead at half time to lose by 45 points
2011: In the second biggest defeat of any team, of all time, Melbourne loses to Geelong by 186 points in Round 19
2011: The following day, Dean Bailey is sacked as Head Coach of Melbourne
2011: Melbourne loses 6 of its last 7 games to miss the final 8 for the fifth successive year
2011: Melbourne finishes the year placed 13th (of 17) on the ladder with 8 wins, 1 draw and 13 losses
2011: Mark Neeld appointed as Head Coach for 2012 and beyond
2011: Austin Wonaeamirri is delisted after the death of his father sees him return to the Northern Territory
2011: Former #1 draft pick Tom Scully leaves the Club after just 31 games, signing with new expansion club Greater Western Sydney on a multi-million dollar deal
2011: Melbourne chooses Rory Taggert (#36), Josh Tynan (#52) and James Sellar (#54) over Tory Dickson (#57) Lachie Neale (#58) and Cameron Sutcliffe (#71)

2012: Colin Sylvia is suspended by the Club
2012: Mark Neeld replaces Brad Green with Jack Grimes and Jack Trengove as Captain(s). Trengove becomes the youngest captain in the history of the VFL/AFL
2012: Liam Jurrah charged for an alleged machete attack in Alice Springs
2012: Club legend, ex-President and ex-player Jim Stynes dies at the age of 45
2012: Grant Thomas suggests that Mark Neeld racially discriminates against his Indigenous players
2012: Melbourne cuts ties with its new, multi-million dollar sponsors Energy Watch following racist comments posted online by its CEO Ben Polis, leaving the Club with no major sponsor
2012: Melbourne starts the season with 9 consecutive losses
2012: The AFL launches an investigation into the Club's 2009 season in regard to allegations of deliberately losing to gain higher draft picks, following statements by ex-player Brock McLean
2012: Melbourne records just 1 win against a non-expansion club for the entire year
2012: Melbourne finishes the year placed 16th (of 18, ahead of only Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney in their 2nd and 1st years respectively) on the ladder with 4 wins, 18 losses
2012: Best and Fairest winner Brent Moloney leaves the club under the new free agency rule and signs with Brisbane
2012: Jared Rivers leaves the club under the new free agency rule and signs with Geelong
2012: Liam Jurrah is de-listed following numerous legal charges
2012: Leadership group member Clint Bartram is forced into retirement due to a degenerative knee injury
2012: Melbourne chooses Jimmy Toumpas (#4) over Oliver Wines (#7)

2013: Melbourne is fined $500,000, and Dean Bailey and Chris Connolly are suspended, in regard to tanking allegations in the 2009 season
2013: Melbourne records its biggest ever loss at its home ground, losing to Essendon by 148 points
2013: Following the Round 2 loss, Club CEO Cameron Schwab is sacked
2013: Club President Don McLardy, who took over the role when Stynes became too ill, resigns
2013: Mitch Clark severely injures his foot in Melbourne's first win of the season, against Greater Western Sydney
2013: Allegations arise that Stephen Dank has been involved with Melbourne players and they may have been subject to banned substances
2013: Ex-Coach Neale Daniher diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease
2013: Melbourne finishes the year placed 17th (of 18) on the ladder with 2 wins and 20 losses
2013: Melbourne records its worst win tally for a season in 32 years
2013: Melbourne records its worst percentage in a season (54.07) in 107 years
2013: Jack Trengove gives up captaincy of the Club

2014: Ex-Coach Dean Bailey dies of cancer, aged 47
2014: Melbourne loses its first two games of the season, meaning it has not won in either Round 1 or Round 2 for nine consecutive years
2014: Leadership group member Mitch Clark retires from professional football due to clinical depression
2014: Melbourne sat at the bottom of the ladder after the first three rounds before getting its first win of the year over Carlton

So, so, so, so much shitness in so little time. How can a football club be this bad and get it so wrong EACH time?? But hey, youll always have Nathan Jones. And Watts! Dont forget Watts. And Roosy lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Flogstradamus Does Norf have a better player than Bernie Vince?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back