Does our board have the guts to sack Laidley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Money shouldn't come into it, if he is the wrong man for the job that is all that matters.

But if you are going to sack a coach (and eat a contract) you have to be sure, and it was less than a year ago that our coach overachieved, IMO by a large amount. For that reason I wouldn't be considering sacking him unless their were things going on behind the scenes that made his position untenable.

There would be a very thorough review of the football department at the end of the year though, and Laids would be left in no doubt as to what is expected of him in 2007.

And BF posters wouldn't be allowed near the coaching box ... ever.

His biggest failing IMHO is that he has not managed our expectations at all well. We began the year expecting to play finals and redeem that PATHETIC finals performance from last year and then as the wheels began to fall off we suddenly began to build for the future. WTF??

We all watched in horror as we began playing this appalling brand of football. Why 'in horror'? Because it was obvious to almost all of us that we simply we don't have the skills to play that style. I think it was the Melbourne game where we shut up shop with about 20 minutes to go and lost the game with turnovers.

And all of this while we've had a fantastic run with injuries.

He has coached very well at times, especially against the Dogs and we should have caned Brisbane, so he can coach. But I'd have to say overall I'm very disappointed with the year and how we're likely to go next year. Unless Hamish and Hale really leap ahead over summer and become elite players we're going to be challenging the Blues for wooden spoon favouritism.

If this is the position the board is prepared to tolerate until the contract runs its course then I'll be very disappointed. They'll probably have a review of all coaching positions at season end and we'll see what happens.

Mr Reliable said:
His biggest failing IMHO is that he has not managed our expectations at all well. We began the year expecting to play finals and redeem that PATHETIC finals performance from last year and then as the wheels began to fall off we suddenly began to build for the future. WTF??

I had no problems with him expecting us to play finals. We were in the finals race in his first two seasons and we made it last season.

This season has been a disappointment, but there was nothing wrong with the goals he set.

Mr Reliable said:
We all watched in horror as we began playing this appalling brand of football. Why 'in horror'? Because it was obvious to almost all of us that we simply we don't have the skills to play that style. I think it was the Melbourne game where we shut up shop with about 20 minutes to go and lost the game with turnovers.

But on this point, I do agree with you. Our style of football is dreadful.

Nevbuster said:
I'm worried some other team will nab Carey as senior coach before we do. There was already talk of Collingwood getting him if Malthouses ticker can't keep up. How would we feel if Wayne goes to another club and wins a flag ? Just picture wayne on the premiership podium surrounded by Magpies ? The entire world would be out of balance. Don't wait for another year, finishing on the bottom on the ladder in 2007 will kill us off faster than Laidley's contract.

This was the same reason why Collingwood gave Tony Shaw the coaching job. Carlton wanted to take him on as an assistant and they were worried that a favourite son would find success as a coach at a hated rival. But Shaw ended up stuffing Collingwood.

There is little to say that Carey would make a good coach. He says the odd thing with his media commitments, but he doesn't actually have to back what he says with his coaching moves. He had little impact when he did some coaching work at Carlton, and the jury is still out with his work at Collingwood. I also doubt his commitment to coaching.

Shinboners said:
and the jury is still out with his work at Collingwood. I also doubt his commitment to coaching.
Earlier in the season they were praising the work he's done with Tarrant and Rocca.Well, not a lot of time on from that Tarrant had his yearly dummy spit and walkabout, and Rocca's been playing like a dog with little interest for the best part of a month preferring to adapt Richardsonesque blaming of teammates.Again, nobody has any idea what sort of coach he'd make and until he's had at least three years in a full assistants role, I wouldn't even be contemplating him for the senior position.Kneejerk reactions have rarely if ever resulted in long term stability or success.

Shinboners said:
I had no problems with him expecting us to play finals. We were in the finals race in his first two seasons and we made it last season.

This season has been a disappointment, but there was nothing wrong with the goals he set.

But on this point, I do agree with you. Our style of football is dreadful.

I had no problems with him expecting to play finals, Shinners. Hell, I expected we'd play finals. But somehow around round 5 or 6 (?) we went from expecting to play finals to re-building the team, as if that was the plan all along and we all should have known that we were never going to play finals this year. This dramatic change of plan by the coach remains unexplained to this day. Maybe he has no explanation.

Mr Reliable said:
I had no problems with him expecting to play finals, Shinners. Hell, I expected we'd play finals. But somehow around round 5 or 6 (?) we went from expecting to play finals to re-building the team, as if that was the plan all along and we all should have known that we were never going to play finals this year. This dramatic change of plan by the coach remains unexplained to this day. Maybe he has no explanation.

Werent we on the 5 year plan to win a flag as of 2003 or 2004 a bit like the Alyett/Barassi 5 year plan.

rooboy_88 said:
Werent we on the 5 year plan to win a flag as of 2003 or 2004 a bit like the Alyett/Barassi 5 year plan.

People used to say of Ron Barassi at Melbourne when they were languishing near the bottom of the ladder: "he's 8 years into a 5 year plan to revive the club."

I loved Ron Barassi as a footballer and as a coach, but everyone has a 'use by' date I guess.

Mr Reliable said:
I had no problems with him expecting to play finals, Shinners. Hell, I expected we'd play finals. But somehow around round 5 or 6 (?) we went from expecting to play finals to re-building the team, as if that was the plan all along and we all should have known that we were never going to play finals this year.

I thought the talk of rebuilding from Laidley didn't happen until about round 10 or 11. After round 6, we had 2 wins from 6 games, and I think the coach and players still felt they could turn their form around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King Corey said:
To answer the original question - no.

They won't do it now, but they might at year end if we suffer a few more thrashings. The Duffman is a pretty tough operator from what I've seen of him.

Shinboners said:
I thought the talk of rebuilding from Laidley didn't happen until about round 10 or 11. After round 6, we had 2 wins from 6 games, and I think the coach and players still felt they could turn their form around.

Spot on - that was proof to me the coach had lost it. To take such a drastic position change like that means he must think we are all fools and forgot the statements at the start of the season.
Admitting that he had misjudged the change of the game was enough to say goodbye for mine. It was a major setback for the club and should have resulted in a change at the top.

gokangas said:
Spot on - that was proof to me the coach had lost it. To take such a drastic position change like that means he must think we are all fools and forgot the statements at the start of the season.

I don't have any issue with him changing his position as the circumstances have changed. However, the key for me is whether he follows through with it. If we are rebuilding for 2007 and beyond, then he has to give the kids senior games and the responsibilities that go along with that.

gokangas said:
Admitting that he had misjudged the change of the game was enough to say goodbye for mine. It was a major setback for the club and should have resulted in a change at the top.

That is one worry for me. When the rule change for kicking in after a behind was made, Laidley said that we would be one club that should profit from it. Of course, we haven't (the Bulldogs have been the biggest beneficiaries, and lo and behold, they can kick accurately). He does seem to have a pattern of saying one thing to the public (we'll play the kids, the axe will fall on the mid-range players, best option footy, etc), but his actions seem to be the opposite.

Shinboners said:
This was the same reason why Collingwood gave Tony Shaw the coaching job. Carlton wanted to take him on as an assistant and they were worried that a favourite son would find success as a coach at a hated rival. But Shaw ended up stuffing Collingwood.

There is little to say that Carey would make a good coach. He says the odd thing with his media commitments, but he doesn't actually have to back what he says with his coaching moves. He had little impact when he did some coaching work at Carlton, and the jury is still out with his work at Collingwood. I also doubt his commitment to coaching.

Heres the problem :

There is a possibility that we could improve with a new coach. I agree, Carey is unproven and nothing in his track record says he is a sure winner as coach.
The problem is, if he did have an excellent record as coach, he would stay where he is because most clubs are in a position to bank-roll him and not us. The only way we can afford him, or any other coach on the minimum wages we offer is to get someone untried. Then it comes down to gut instinct. Apart from a track record, what else could he bring to the club. A bucket load of motivation, a winning attitude and recent on-field leadership experience. His semi-retirement at the Crows would help his experience too. If we aren't the first club to give him a go, we'll never get him because we can't pay the $500k+ wages top coaches ask for. Try to paoch Neil Craig from the money bags at Adelaide ?

Nevbuster said:
Heres the problem :

There is a possibility that we could improve with a new coach. I agree, Carey is unproven and nothing in his track record says he is a sure winner as coach.
The problem is, if he did have an excellent record as coach, he would stay where he is because most clubs are in a position to bank-roll him and not us. The only way we can afford him, or any other coach on the minimum wages we offer is to get someone untried. Then it comes down to gut instinct. Apart from a track record, what else could he bring to the club. A bucket load of motivation, a winning attitude and recent on-field leadership experience. His semi-retirement at the Crows would help too. If we aren't the first club to give him a go, we'll never get him. Try to paoch Neil Craig from the money bags at Adelaide ?

Carey might have become a brilliant coach in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s when champion players could turn into champion coaches based on their attitude and inspiration.

But coaching has now become a more analytical exercise. Laidley might not be performing well as a coach, but there is no doubt that he puts in at least 60 hours a week of preparation - that is not only analysing and developing the team, but studying the opposition. You talked about Neil Craig - he's taken the Crows to the top by using more scientific analysis. I just don't think Carey wants to put in that amount of time for a job that won't pay as well as what he gets in the media. Even the likes of John Worsfold, Rodney Eade, and Paul Roos served apprenticeships. They wanted the job and they were prepared to do the hard yards to get there.

Sheedy, Malthouse, and Matthews will probably be the last coaches that went from playing to coaching without doing an apprenticeship inbetween. The last people who tried that, Tim Watson, Tony Shaw, were both big failures.

Shinboners said:
Carey might have become a brilliant coach in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s when champion players could turn into champion coaches based on their attitude and inspiration.

But coaching has now become a more analytical exercise. Laidley might not be performing well as a coach, but there is no doubt that he puts in at least 60 hours a week of preparation - that is not only analysing and developing the team, but studying the opposition. You talked about Neil Craig - he's taken the Crows to the top by using more scientific analysis. I just don't think Carey wants to put in that amount of time for a job that won't pay as well as what he gets in the media. Even the likes of John Worsfold, Rodney Eade, and Paul Roos served apprenticeships. They wanted the job and they were prepared to do the hard yards to get there.

Sheedy, Malthouse, and Matthews will probably be the last coaches that went from playing to coaching without doing an apprenticeship inbetween. The last people who tried that, Tim Watson, Tony Shaw, were both big failures.

I've got no doubt Laidley eats and sleeps preparing for games. The crows were a treat to watch last weekend. Their kicking for goal was spot on. If a crow was tackled, he just hung onto the ball for a second and another crow would run past. They roved the ball from marking contests perfectly and moved the ball forward fast to beat any flooding. I'm sure Laidley prepared the game to death, but it was the skills the made the difference. I think back to the reign of the mighty Lions and couldn't imagine Leigh doing anything better than Sheedy or Malthouse in tactics. He just got his champions, put them in their positions and they had the skills to deliver. There's somthing big missing in Laidley's coaching and I just can't put my finger on it.

Nevbuster said:
I think back to the reign of the mighty Lions and couldn't imagine Leigh doing anything better than Sheedy or Malthouse in tactics. He just got his champions, put them in their positions and they had the skills to deliver. There's somthing big missing in Laidley's coaching and I just can't put my finger on it.
I don't think Matthews is a bad coach but I agree with your point in theory.The same thing happened at Collingwood when he was there.As soon as the top players drifted away, so did Collingwood.Wasn't much he appeared to be able to do about it.

If lasts weeks game vs the Camry's is anything to go by then many of the posts here are correct in saying that worrying about 250k will mean squat if we have a 10k membership base. That pure and simple was rubbish...Anyone who attempts in any way shape or form to defend it has no concept on what constitutes support of an AFL club. I think i am speaking for all in saying i want to see the Roos 'attempt' to win every game, not 'attempt' to lose. Big difference between the two, not on paper, but in the head. That is our current problem, the woe is us - no money, crap coach, poor facilities etc etc. 21 on on 21 as far as i was aware and i am sick and tired of the same ole crap excuses being chucked up. Desire counts for plenty and some other clubs have it in bucket loads, we alas have a teat pippette worth. Loses can make motivation difficult but shag me a tomato if these propped up, prepped up, tanned up mannequins aren't embarrased by some of their efforts. The answer to how we change this is burried in a tomb alongside Bin Laden somewhere in the Afghani desert...

Originally Posted by Dogboy21
If lasts weeks game vs the Camry's is anything to go by then many of the posts here are correct in saying that worrying about 250k will mean squat if we have a 10k membership base. That pure and simple was rubbish...Anyone who attempts in any way shape or form to defend it has no concept on what constitutes support of an AFL club. I think i am speaking for all in saying i want to see the Roos 'attempt' to win every game, not 'attempt' to lose. Big difference between the two, not on paper, but in the head. That is our current problem, the woe is us - no money, crap coach, poor facilities etc etc. 21 on on 21 as far as i was aware and i am sick and tired of the same ole crap excuses being chucked up. Desire counts for plenty and some other clubs have it in bucket loads, we alas have a teat pippette worth. Loses can make motivation difficult but shag me a tomato if these propped up, prepped up, tanned up mannequins aren't embarrased by some of their efforts. The answer to how we change this is burried in a tomb alongside Bin Laden somewhere in the Afghani desert...

Very poetic and passionate post there Db :thumbsu:

T'toes

Remove this Banner Ad

Does our board have the guts to sack Laidley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back