Review Doggies take the foot off the gas but still belt the Druggies 103 - 71

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s beautiful watching Jake Stringer sprint 20 metres and then stand there out of breath for 5 minutes.

I think you have to be pretty happy with that performance. Ineffective at times but got some strong performances from the bigger names. Thought Dunkley was unbelievable, Dale and Daniel controlled the game off half back. Naughton had an almost game, seemed to make a lot of contests but a rare game that he didn’t have sticky fingers so didn’t cash in. Ridley played an excellent game on him to be fair, one of their few good performers. Naughton still had four goal assists though.

The opposition was poor but our defensive pressure was good also. Don’t think they’ll be winning too many games this season if that is their standard.

It’s beautiful watching Jake Stringer sprint 20 metres and then stand there out of breath for 5 minutes.
The second I saw him in the pregame it seemed pretty obvious he’s put all the weight he lost last year back on.

Will always like him for his efforts in 15-16 but he’s reverted to the mean.

The second I saw him in the pregame it seemed pretty obvious he’s put all the weight he lost last year back on.

Stringer and Macrae were consecutive picks in the same draft. Their trajectories are so interesting to compare because Macrae has done everything and Stringer is still running on potential.

Also anyone who thinks McComb will change with time obviously haven’t watched him at VFL level - he’s a butcherer at that level, that’s just what he brings - it’s not changing not at AFL level especially.

It’s not even just the kicking, he can’t hit a simple target by hand and is a fraction off the pace which makes him sloppy when trying to link up - the amount of chains that broke down due to him either not taking the ball cleanly or just straight up coughing it up yesterday was huge. He genuinely made our team worse by being on the field yesterday and that’s even with a 20 disposal/2 goal game.

Does he have some good attributes? Yes, and look at a team whose crying out for someone who can win a hardball like Essendon then sure maybe he could bring something, but how on earth is he bringing anything that this side needs right now?

There's something to work with with McComb. He ran to the right spots, read the plah and actually looks decent cliches and congested stuff - hard at the ball, bounces off tackles, seemed to have a quickly processing mind when under presssure. Errors can come with a lack of composure - especially from a bloke who has never had the game played at that speed out when he has to make decisions. Age aside, there's not many players that can win the ball 20 times in their second game. He didn't loom fundamentally out of place unlike say Butler earlier this year.
Agree. The difference in the speed of the game between VFL and AFL is vast. This can require a lot of adjustment for a player who has spent his whole career at the lower level. No doubt his disposal yesterday was very poor on several occasions and I'm not convinced he's a long term proposition by any means, but if he can feel more comfortable at the level we may see improvement in his disposal. There was enough good in other elements of his game yesterday to keep his place in the team for now. At the very least it's good to know we have a player who can come into the side, work hard in the contest, give us 20+ disposals and kick a goal or two if and when the need arises.

With the imminent return of Keath and the resultant reshuffling of the back 6 we may see Williams struggle to hold his place. Not only does he look tentative in contests but he seems to have lost a yard and a half in pace. Others have suggested a move to the wing to replace either Roarke Smith or Scott (on return) but unless we see some improvement in both leg speed and ball-handling that option may not eventuate.

Also anyone who thinks McComb will change with time obviously haven’t watched him at VFL level - he’s a butcherer at that level, that’s just what he brings - it’s not changing not at AFL level especially.

It’s not even just the kicking, he can’t hit a simple target by hand and is a fraction off the pace which makes him sloppy when trying to link up - the amount of chains that broke down due to him either not taking the ball cleanly or just straight up coughing it up yesterday was huge. He genuinely made our team worse by being on the field yesterday and that’s even with a 20 disposal/2 goal game.

Does he have some good attributes? Yes, and look at a team whose crying out for someone who can win a hardball like Essendon then sure maybe he could bring something, but how on earth is he bringing anything that this side needs right now?

47% efficiency over two games.

That helps offer some insurance in case one of Dale or Daniel ends up going elsewhere.
The ones that leave tend to be those who aren't getting a chance and haven't for a while. I'm thinking West falls into that category. Stalwarts of the club don't just up and leave for a bit more money, it's regular game time they want more than anything.

Yes, I certainly can't bring myself to join the chorus of boos when Jake plays us. I said to my Essendon supporting friend at the game, we've had 42 premiership players in our history, and Jake is one of them. He is up on my wall at home (not the pool room, but a version of it).

Whatever else Jake might have done, I hope for his continued maturation and wish him well. I wouldn't even mind if he did a Brett Montgomery and came back to the kennel near the end of his career - wiser, and more responsible than his younger, impetuous self.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched this game and thought Dunkley played a lot more forward than usual.

Do you think this will continue to be his role for the team?

Sat behind this bombres supporter who in the first half was happy to pile onto his own players but then plot twist in the second half as we turned the screws decided it was the umpires who were gifting us enough frees to get a substantial lead.

Kudos to you my friend :poo:
Bomber supporter behind me piled into the Essendon players for the entire game after 1/4 time......lol

I watched this game and thought Dunkley played a lot more forward than usual.

Do you think this will continue to be his role for the team?
It’s a shuffling act to fit 6 genuine star onballers into 3. It seemed like Bont’s return to more midfield time came at Dunks expense but he still managed to have a huge impact on the game.

Without knowing exactly, I feel like those two were almost directly swapping at full forward with each other. They started a lot of centre bounces in the square.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Doggies take the foot off the gas but still belt the Druggies 103 - 71

Remove this Banner Ad

Back