Domestic Violence Epidemic

Remove this Banner Ad

Just if anyone’s interested and hasn’t seen it, there’s a documentary about Angela Barker (who was 16 when bashed by her partner) on YouTube called ‘loves me loves me not.’
It highlights the early warning signs of dv and the different types of dv including coercive control.
It’s very sad but Angela did survive to tell her story.

Last edited:
A man has been charged with the murder of a woman whose body was found at a waste management facility in Melbourne's north last week.

Her body was found by staff at the facility in Epping on July 3.

Investigators believe the 67-year-old's body was inside a bin that was picked up outside a property in the nearby suburb of Coolaroo.

Homicide detectives arrested a 45-year-old Coolaroo man in Glenroy on Tuesday.

He's due to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court on Wednesday.

Police believe the man and the deceased woman are known to each other.

Man allegedly set fire to Hackham West house while woman and three children were inside​

A man has appeared in court charged with setting fire to a house in Adelaide's south while a woman and her three children were inside.
The man is accused of pouring petrol on the home's front door before setting it alight on Sunday afternoon.

The man was refused bail and will return to court in October.

The alleged arson occurred just hours after an unrelated incident in the Sydney suburb of Lalor Park, where three children were killed in a house fire allegedly lit by their father.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07-09/man-charged-over-hackham-west-house-fire/104075060

A man has been charged with the murder of a woman whose body was found at a waste management facility in Melbourne's north last week.

Her body was found by staff at the facility in Epping on July 3.

Investigators believe the 67-year-old's body was inside a bin that was picked up outside a property in the nearby suburb of Coolaroo.

Homicide detectives arrested a 45-year-old Coolaroo man in Glenroy on Tuesday.

He's due to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court on Wednesday.

Police believe the man and the deceased woman are known to each other.
I'm pretty sure he is a old mate of mine from Primary and High school.

That must be a bit of a shock.
It was indeed. As soon as I saw the name and age I thought shit. Did some googling and the info pointed towards him.

Although the court drawing doesn't look exactly like him it is close enough to believe it is him with the other info I have.

Another 2 potential DV murders (if not a mother/disabled 13yo teen daughter murder suicide) in Sydney Metro today.
A case with what appears to be Police taking out an AVO to protect the deceased mother earlier this year.

Edit: ''The mother and daughter's bodies were found in separate bedrooms and had no signs of injury.'

'A crime scene has been established, and detectives have commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident. '

'Daily Mail Australia can reveal that Ms Carrig had an apprehended violence order taken out on her behalf earlier this year.

It is currently before the courts. It is not suggested that those subject to the AVO proceedings played any role in the deaths.'

Last edited:
The Daily Telegraph has a 'special report' series of articles on DV today.
Here's the first part of it.
Here's the 2nd part
which includes an article (p5) that was started in the 1st part (p4)

Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 1.18.29 pm.png
Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 1.14.44 pm.png

He threw toilet water on her and urinated on her face to get a reaction off her. One of her hands is crippled.

In short:

Daniel William Huish subjected his former partner to a brutal sustained attack in November 2021, which only ended which she pretended to be unconscious.

The Supreme Court was told Huish believed the woman had cheated on him and the violence started when she would not tell him the pass code to her phone.

Today he was sentenced to 15 years in prison, but with time already served he will be eligible for parole in 2034.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07...led-attempted-murder-former-partner/104098138

Another 2 potential DV murders (if not a mother/disabled 13yo teen daughter murder suicide) in Sydney Metro today.
A case with what appears to be Police taking out an AVO to protect the deceased mother earlier this year.

Edit: ''The mother and daughter's bodies were found in separate bedrooms and had no signs of injury.'
A bit of an unexpected twist in this yet another tragic case.

'Police initially revealed that the pair's deaths were not being treated as suspicious.

Sources have since revealed that detectives are also investigating whether the deaths may have been the result of a murder-suicide.'

I found this an interesting article from the Saturday Paper about the roll out of Our Watch, the federal governments domestic violence prevention program, which appears was hobbled from the start. Events over recent years would suggest it has not been effective.

“I was asked to remove the data on alcohol, and I was surprised by that because the data around the contribution of alcohol to domestic and sexual violence is very strong. And there was also the data on the socioeconomic gradient in domestic and sexual violence. As we know, domestic violence is a common pathway for women into poverty, and once they are in that position, they are more vulnerable to violence and the impacts of violence are greater because they have fewer resources to ameliorate the impact.
Salter says he refused to remove either and claims that – as a consequence – the review was effectively taken off him and “re-written” by other researchers...."

"....Data from Giorgi’s foundation highlights that alcohol is involved in between 23 per cent and 65 per cent of all police-reported family violence incidents. When perpetrators are drinking, it also increases the severity of violence, leading to higher rates of harm and injury. Australian evidence shows greater access to alcohol increases the risk of violence – and the largely unregulated explosion in online sales and delivery has only made this worse."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found this an interesting article from the Saturday Paper about the roll out of Our Watch, the federal governments domestic violence prevention program, which appears was hobbled from the start. Events over recent years would suggest it has not been effective.

“I was asked to remove the data on alcohol, and I was surprised by that because the data around the contribution of alcohol to domestic and sexual violence is very strong. And there was also the data on the socioeconomic gradient in domestic and sexual violence. As we know, domestic violence is a common pathway for women into poverty, and once they are in that position, they are more vulnerable to violence and the impacts of violence are greater because they have fewer resources to ameliorate the impact.
Salter says he refused to remove either and claims that – as a consequence – the review was effectively taken off him and “re-written” by other researchers...."

"....Data from Giorgi’s foundation highlights that alcohol is involved in between 23 per cent and 65 per cent of all police-reported family violence incidents. When perpetrators are drinking, it also increases the severity of violence, leading to higher rates of harm and injury. Australian evidence shows greater access to alcohol increases the risk of violence – and the largely unregulated explosion in online sales and delivery has only made this worse."
I'm not surprised they directed to remove the correlation with alcohol use.

Not surprising at all.
Similar with problem gambling (leading to financial hardship often leading to DV) which the Gvt make millions from but then plug a small percentage of money back to the community for counselling services ...a bandaid approach to solve the problem.

Not sure I believe this bloke when he says he didn't go to kill his ex-wife. Previous perpetrator of DV, he breached court orders going to the house, wore dark clothing, a hat and gloves, armed with a hatchet, a jimmy bar and a 10-litre can of petrol. She sustained 35 separate injuries before succumbing. He is alleged to have hit his child. He is claiming self defence. I suspect it will go as well as Greg Lynns

Not sure I believe this bloke when he says he didn't go to kill his ex-wife. Previous perpetrator of DV, he breached court orders going to the house, wore dark clothing, a hat and gloves, armed with a hatchet, a jimmy bar and a 10-litre can of petrol. She sustained 35 separate injuries before succumbing. He is alleged to have hit his child. He is claiming self defence. I suspect it will go as well as Greg Lynns

Mr Desmond the defence lawyer’s ravings defy belief. Self defence my a$$

It's not believable imo, particularly not with 35 separate injuries including defensive.

Domestic Violence Epidemic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back