Don Dale Centre videos on 4 corners: treatment of children in custody (Northern Territory)

Remove this Banner Ad

The hood causes minimal discomfort whilst protecting officers from assault. There isn't physical harm caused. Not sure what the age of the offender has to do with it. Either the hood causes pain/injury, or it doesn't. It doesn't, hence why it is approved for use. If it caused pain/injury I wouldn't agree it's use on adults either.

Different story if they are attempting to use it as a psychological device. But that isn't it's intended use.

You speak of physical injury only. Hooding someone with a history of trauma (like many in the youth justice system) would cause immense psychological pain

You speak of physical injury only. Hooding someone with a history of trauma (like many in the youth justice system) would cause immense psychological pain
Getting put into detention would cause emotional distress. It doesn't mean it isn't justified.

Would you agree with the use of a spit hood on someone spitting who hasn't had a history of emotional distress? All I'm arguing is the use of a spit hood does not automatically amount to torture. Regardless of how much you want to over blow it

Getting put into detention would cause emotional distress. It doesn't mean it isn't justified.

Would you agree with the use of a spit hood on someone spitting who hasn't had a history of emotional distress? All I'm arguing is the use of a spit hood does not automatically amount to torture. Regardless of how much you want to over blow it

Not kids, no

Which do you think is more emotionally stressful? Sitting in a spit hood for 30 minutes or being locked in Juevenile detention for 12 months?

Remember, I'm not talking about the specific case but the inherent properties of using a spit hood for its intended purpose.

Which do you think is more emotionally stressful? Sitting in a spit hood for 30 minutes or being locked in Juevenile detention for 12 months?

Remember, I'm not talking about the specific case but the inherent properties of using a spit hood for its intended purpose.

Don't ask me, I was never *******ed as a kid.

You can shove the spit hood up your blurter for all I care. When I've worked in Juvie detention we DID NOT REQUIRE THE USE OF A SPIT HOOD!!!!

Finally got a chance to watch the footage causing the uproar.
Pretty damning.

Really a disgrace what our nation has come to since we've fallen in to line with US ways of doing things.
I'd much rather go back to the British method.

We are supposed to helping these kids become better people.

Obviously a large swathe of our "experts" on such social issues are anything but.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey GreyCrow
Threads not about you
Clearly people,as do I, find this distressing
I watched the show with my little boy asleep on my lap
It made me feel ashamed that these thugs are employed in our justice system , regardless of what the offender supposedly did
The whole point of our justice system is to prevent this violent behavior, not replicate it

This was actually OLD news http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4511291.htm

NT and Federal Governments knew about it, they just didn't give a shit.

i said that last Wednesday

The sickening footage we saw on Four Corners on Monday evening has been around for years and it’s more than a coincidence that the ABC decided to release the story on the eve of the NT elections where the current Country Liberal Party under Adam Giles is already in deep shit. Well done ABC, your political slip is still showing.

Beatin' 'em up's gonna reduce their chances of recidivism?

Are you speaking to a point you imagined, or pretended I made?

I'm expressing my lack of surprise that the state employs big thugs to handle smaller thugs. It seems like a normal situation in all kinds of conflict. I'm surprised that people are surprised. I wasn't speaking as to the righteousness of what happened, nor was I speculating about the after effects.

Regarding the use of the spit hood - a man has just recently been put in prison for spitting on a McDonalds worker, indicating that it is something that is (and should imo) be taken seriously:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/j...teenage-mcdonalds-worker-20160802-gqizzz.html

Spitting at people is ****ing disgusting (at best), so I don't have really have an issue with the use of a spit hood per se when used correctly i.e. when workers are at risk of being spat on. From memory though, the Four Corners report mentioned that Voller was left for hours alone in the chair with the spit hood on which suggests to me that in that case it was more being used as a punitive measure rather than a worker safety one.

I agree with what someone said earlier though - I am surprised that so much attention has been placed on the use of the restraint chair and the spit hood. The beatings, tear gas (including hosing them off afterwards to the point that they couldn't breath - pretty much water boarding) and the stripping were far worse imo.

I've always found the status of spitting withing the legal framework to be puzzling and can only assume that it is perception that sees it treated so seriously. I mean, I know it's disgusting, and there is some risk of communicable diseases. But you can be charged with assault because of spitting.I don't see how it can compare to being punched in the face. Disgusting, sure. Contemptuous, of course. but physically damaging, surely not.

I've always found the status of spitting withing the legal framework to be puzzling and can only assume that it is perception that sees it treated so seriously. I mean, I know it's disgusting, and there is some risk of communicable diseases. But you can be charged with assault because of spitting.I don't see how it can compare to being punched in the face. Disgusting, sure. Contemptuous, of course. but physically damaging, surely not.
You can be charge with assault for just yelling at someone (creating fear in the mind) and I feel that spitting is well and truly many levels up from that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don Dale Centre videos on 4 corners: treatment of children in custody (Northern Territory)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back