Dons players could launch legal action to end investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect there is probably an understanding that they all stick together or all go down.
Maybe, maybe not.

I thought it was interesting a month or so ago when it was mentioned in an article that 12 players admitted to ASADA being administered Thymosin. That probably means others didnt admit it.

And they wouldn't if there wasn't threats?

There are things called loopholes. Drug cheats, criminals etc use them all the time to get off. People break the law all the time and get off on technicalities. ASADA are probably making sure every loophole is closed down for when they reveal the extent of Essendon's drug use, so the club can't slime their way out of it.

Someone is leaking information, Who?
Why tell Essendon anything if ASADA has suspicions it's them?
Leaks are more likely to be coming from the AFL now than anyone. Little has no problem in coming out and saying what he thinks and as President it should be him too, past history though has shown the AFL leaks information faster and more often than politicians with an axe to grind.

As for the story itself, most likely has come from some lawyers want to start something to earn more money, don't believe for a second there is any substance to it and no chance of it happening. If the players did take this action the Essendon season would quickly go from being on the skids, as it is now, to a complete train wreck all for the chance of geting a favourable court decision and a slim chance is all it is.

Again, I'm talking more about the players - I'm not sure who has suggested they have not cooperated

The absence of information doesn't support any conclusion on that matter. I'm ready to accept the hypothesis that the players told the whole truth, or what they believe to be the truth. I'm also ready to accept that they told some porkys. And to accept that some of them fall into column A and some fall into column B.

We have no data.

Leaks are more likely to be coming from the AFL now than anyone. Little has no problem in coming out and saying what he thinks and as President it should be him too, past history though has shown the AFL leaks information faster and more often than politicians with an axe to grind.

As for the story itself, most likely has come from some lawyers want to start something to earn more money, don't believe for a second there is any substance to it and no chance of it happening. If the players did take this action the Essendon season would quickly go from being on the skids, as it is now, to a complete train wreck all for the chance of geting a favourable court decision and a slim chance is all it is.

It is in the AFLs best interests also to discredit the process. Vlad the instigator is all but gone anyway. The AFL have lost control, and I'm thinking they don't like it very much.

Armchair Critic was suggesting there was a precedent. Thank you for correcting him.

The Little statement is clearly directed at ASADA and the Minister - it's the only way he can communicate with them. Both are refusing to take calls from him. ASADA and the Minister now know that the players and officials remain united and that none of them will offer a no fault plea, which ASADA may have been hoping for.

Yeah, reckon ASADA are now shaking in their boots and will immediately abandon any plans for show cause notices. After all we have already seen the EFC bare their teeth in the courts, wait a minute, maybe this hasn't happened despite constant threats to do so.

I may be a tad naive but I'd suggest that, if ASADA proceed with show cause notices, they will do so with full confidence that whatever evidence they have will hold up in any court. If this threat is, indeed, enough to discourage ASADA then we will be able to truly say their incompetence is without precedence from an investigative body.

But you go on believing that a barrage of empty threats will alter the course of history. Me, I'm prepared to let the system run it's course without trying to forecast the future of this saga.

The absence of information doesn't support any conclusion on that matter. I'm ready to accept the hypothesis that the players told the whole truth, or what they believe to be the truth. I'm also ready to accept that they told some porkys. And to accept that some of them fall into column A and some fall into column B.

We have no data.

Fair enough - it has been a necessity of late to be a 'glass half full' guy ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so David Grace QC, CAS Chair and head of WADA compliant Athletics Australia is representing the Essendon players. Very interesting

Robbo's article is a bit misleading (shock horror I know). Grace has been retained by the AFLPA, not the Bombers, and has been on the case for more than a year.

Essendon's players are being represented by the AFLPA's in-house lawyers, Bernie Shinners and Brett Murphy. David Grace, QC, has also been engaged.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...says-lawyer-20130427-2ilok.html#ixzz32OzC87pu

It is in the AFLs best interests also to discredit the process. Vlad the instigator is all but gone anyway. The AFL have lost control, and I'm thinking they don't like it very much.
Vlad is trying to rock the boat on his way out to try and make it out that his last few years have not been as terrible as they really have. Gill has actually no real reason to try and do anything here, he will be judged on how he handles any fall out, not anything to do with the saga up until now.

The AFL want closure, but they want ASADA to close it not the courts. If they let it get into the court system before ASADA hands done its final findings and any suspensions then the whole issue will drag on for a few more years, which means the AFL won't be able to move on from it, which is what they really want. Suspension or no suspension, once that is decided by ASADA then the AFL move on and it is issue closed as far as they are concerned, anything from that point on is a personal issue between players/club and ASADA

There are things called loopholes. Drug cheats, criminals etc use them all the time to get off. People break the law all the time and get off on technicalities. ASADA are probably making sure every loophole is closed down for when they reveal the extent of Essendon's drug use, so the club can't slime their way out of it.

How fierce. So you agree with him, ASADA wouldn't be closing loopholes if Essendon hadn't threatened legal action.

The AFL were never in control. We are all so used to the AFL doing deals that we only think in that context. There was never a deal to be made. ASADA were going to investigate with or without AFL assistance. The AFL cooperated in an attempt to mitigate the damage.

Paul Little doesn't understand a world where he can't pick up a phone and make a deal. He has been used to making offers to unions, governments, competitors and lawyers and thinks everything has a price, everything can be settled.

The entire point of an ASADA is that it is created it such a way, with WADA oversight and tight regulations, that it can't do deals. Otherwise every doping body in every nation would excuse all its athletes.

Similarly the talk about ASADA running scared and not wanting to lose is too influenced by our sporting / competitive mindset. ASADA is a government bureaucracy. It will do its paperwork, submit its reports and follow its processes. If they lose, they will shrug their shoulders and move onto the next case.

more likely

I've been casually observing this whole saga for some time, and everytime some new information pops up where essendon claim complete innocence, I come back to one question....."If you haven't done anything wrong, then why would you self report to ASADA?"

It doesnt make any sense to have a program with no records, and then self report the fact that you are oblivious to what was taken.

1 year and a bit years ago it was pretty clear, when essendon said dank went rogue which turned out to be false with in 24 hours essendon basically admitted guilt, not to mention hundreds of contradictions following.

Many logical people would have drawn that conclusion themselves it doesn't matter what essendon or AFL say to try and change the guilty image it won't change people's minds..

Essendon and AFL Have already lost, if by some miracle essendon find a grey area and weasel their away from ASADA essendon will forever be known as drug cheats.

So really there is no point in arguing with each other because it's not going to change anything no matter how much spin.

The whole ASADA is taking too long is just the last leg to stand on in essendon's eyes even though it makes them look stupid that defence strategy will only trick stupid people because it is quite simple.

ASADA has no case to answer to anyone, not the AFL not the fans nor essendon, ASADA is done when it's done simple as that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dons players could launch legal action to end investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back