Opinion Don't mention the war (a.k.a. The same old arguments)

Remove this Banner Ad

This was Stevie's efforts in round 23:
8 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 2 inside 50s & 2 frees against - no goals or behinds and no goal assists.

How many after that match declared we made the wrong decision to let him go or at that time was it the right decision?

Seems that it's only ever after a good performance that the same old arguments get pulled out about how we made the wrong decision to let a player go. But let's be honest, if Stevie was still playing in the hoops when he put in his round 23 performance, the calls around here would be for him to be dropped from the team as he would be a liability and there would be questions about why he was still on the list.

Hell, after his poor performances were still have people questioning why we didn't take the non-existent 2 first round picks trade offer from GWS. Of course it then makes sense that some will question the decision to let him go after his odd good performance.

Totally ridiculous

8 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 2 inside 50s & 2 frees against - no goals or behinds and no goal assists.

How many after that match declared we made the wrong decision to let him go or at that time was it the right decision?

Seems that it's only ever after a good performance that the same old arguments get pulled out about how we made the wrong decision to let a player go. But let's be honest, if Stevie was still playing in the hoops when he put in his round 23 performance, the calls around here would be for him to be dropped from the team as he would be a liability and there would be questions about why he was still on the list.

Hell, after his poor performances were still have people questioning why we didn't take the non-existent 2 first round picks trade offer from GWS. Of course it then makes sense that some will question the decision to let him go after his odd good performance.

Totally ridiculous

The game was done and dusted when Stevie got his first goal last night too.

given the reasons for dropping menzel and the fact that johnson had those same short comings its clear now he was dumped because of lack of defensive pressure.
Gerard Whately (who is pretty well connected with the club) straight out said this time last year Johnson was let go because the players and coaches were exasperated by his refusal to follow instructions on and off the field. I don't think it could be justified by on field output - hence Steve Hocking's 'well, stats can be made to say anything' interview on the ABC when the decision was originally announced. Hard to keep up the 'he's a champion of the club and we respect him' angle if you also admit publicly that he's pissed off the entire coaching staff and leadership group to the point you're willing to get rid of him.

FWIW I don't think the decision was justifiable based on SJ's on field output in 2015, but let's not get carried away with his alleged potency this year either. He's averaged 15 disposals and 1.2 goals a game and while kicking 6 in a final is pretty great in 2017, the R23 game was pretty important and he played an absolute shocker.

Totally ridiculous
Umm. Linc McCarthy(aka Toby Greene) career average
Disposals. 11
goals. 0.9
Tackles 2.5
That was a very poor Stevie J performance (like many this year) but a decent McCarthy performance. Plus even now Stevie J can get on the ground every week.
Don't even wanna find out our other small forwards averages are.

Umm. Linc McCarthy(aka Toby Greene) career average
Disposals. 11
goals. 0.9
Tackles 2.5
That was a very poor Stevie J performance (like many this year) but a decent McCarthy performance. Plus even now Stevie J can get on the ground every week.
Don't even wanna find out our other small forwards averages are.
Not the fairest comparison - McCarthy is at the start of his career and so invisible performances in his first ten or so games will drag that down - and he's only going to improve.

Have we had anyone capable of kicking six goals once this year though. Even playing a crap team

Danger kicked 5.6 on one leg. Kicked 4.3 in the first half this week before playing a bit more in the midfield 2nd half.

Taylor has 2 bags of 5.

Hawkins kicked 6 against the Blues and 5 on the Dees

he kicks 40 goals the next season and was stiff to not be nominated for the all australian squad and then two seasons later kicks 6 in a final. how could you still possibly say he was cooked two years ago? i mean seriously? its a ridiculous comment that shows unbelievable cognitive bias. just admit you were wrong.
He has struggled in a lot of games this year and while picking six off a dead Eagles carcass was fun, it wasn't exactly a high-pressure game. Some of that marking in the second half was farcical. He has good weeks and bad now.
I don't agree that he was totally cooked two years ago, but he needed the move. His 2016 was far better than his 2015 was, but now he's gone on a year too long.

Did anyone watch the game or just see that he kicked 6? GWS were 41 points up before SJ kicked a goal. Game was over. Come back and sook if he does it against Richmond.
Was coming to post the same... against us he was invisible.. when the game was some form of a contest last night he was invisible. He cashed in when the eagles gave up... I'm glad he got to have one last fun game though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be honest despite it dredging up old arguments it was great to see SJ get to have a high before he is done, much better than him just vanishing being dropped after not being able to have any impact anymore.

Not the fairest comparison - McCarthy is at the start of his career and so invisible performances in his first ten or so games will drag that down - and he's only going to improve.
Kinda is fair though. We gave him away for nothing to replace him with nothing.
Not sure McCarthy will improve. Hope I'm wrong but I think he'll retire this year or next.
Im never gonna think it was the right thing to do. But it's done now, and was great to see him get a bag before he's done.

I haven't looked but given this thread got bumped.. I'm gonna bet some one went the SJ at geelong sook and it all for moved here..

Let's see..

Go Catters

He'll be at the start of his career forever with the injuries he's had. How long has he been on the list, six year? Should be well into his career now but he's only been able to stay fit for the majority of one season.

Cattery I suggest you read Jester's comment above. Corroborating evidence for the Hocking interview you were sceptical to believe.

Also did lol when I saw this up the top of my watched threads list. Predictable. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back