Strategy CEO Thread - Jennifer Watt - Started Jan 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Once Tassie deal ends would love for the club to play the following home game split.

7 Marvel
3 MCG
1 sold game - Cairns

With the MCG games, request that they are against big drawing clubs like Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton, scum.
Request that our home game on Good Friday be switched to the MCG against Carlton.
Would love for us to play more than 1 game a year at the G. This would be so beneficial for our youngsters if we end up playing 3-4 games a year there. Also, I would expect an increase in membership numbers given that our supporters would see more value in the membership by not selling 4 games a year to another market.
It’s time that we bring these games back to Melbourne.
We can still sell 1 game a year to Cairns to make some money.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

All clubs are investing into non football related revenue. The big boys are playing the straight bat with them and buying into childcare centres. That sort of investment just won't work for us we don't have meaningful enough capital.

They are, and we'd love to do similar, as you say though, we don't have enough capital rn.

I think you look at where NMFC has an unfair advantage to monetise our assets, exposure, membership base, goodwill, network and renovate an existing business or explore a start-up that can capitalise on these.

Good points - areas like this are?

Getting a business that replaces that Tassie money in yield within 4 years is achievable IMHO.

I can guarantee you if there was something this easy just lying around, they would have done it by now.

St Kilda's "improvement" means they're still years behind us despite largely copying us lolololololol

This is true. They have Funky Carl over there borrowing from the playbook he held onto when he left Arden St. The Danny Frawley Centre funding model is taken liberally from our Huddle, for example.

This is true. They have Funky Carl over there borrowing from the playbook he held onto when he left Arden St. The Danny Frawley Centre funding model is taken liberally from our Huddle, for example.

Precisely. The reason they still have a fair chunk of debt is because they stopped selling games to Tassie the idiots.

Precisely. The reason they still have a fair chunk of debt is because they stopped selling games to Tassie the idiots.

That was unbelievable hubris on their part, thinking that with "Kosi" and "Rooey" flying high and the team stringing together a decent "streak" of wins, they were never again going to be a struggling club.

Here’s my take looking at Sonja and the current board along with Jen.

Pros

-110% committed to us being a Melbourne based team.

-Don’t interfere with the football department. Some of the calls on here, on twitter lambasting Sonja and Jen about our on field performance while barely mentioning Clarko and not mentioning Viney at all were ridiculous.

Reality is we are back on track because Clarko has compromised on the game plan he wants us to play to one that suits our list now. It’s was and is all on them.

-Run a tight ship, show reasonable consideration for supporters and appear to be good people in it for the right reasons.

Cons

-we have lost the theme of innovation, and risk taking at a board and corporate level. The days of Ron Joseph, Greg Miller, Bob Ansett are gone.
There is no entrepreneurial spirit, no let’s think outside the box.

-the only way for NMFC to get away from being the lowest rev club in Melb is to be spectacular at building Non Football Revenue. That’s it, without finding ways to make more money than our competitors off field we will always need to sell the most games.

This is where the innovation comes in, my read is the C suite and certainly the board don’t have the skill sets or disposition to create and build.

They are there to maintain and govern.
That’s ok, but with that at best we will balance the books.

It’s evident by the balance of the skill sets at board level there is no appetite for us to try and be exceptional off field. Rather acceptable.

Fundamentally we are electing to play a straight bat. It’s up to each NMFC member to decide if that’s what they want I guess.

With innovation there is risk but also potential reward.

Just a small point but if we're going to talk up the innovation of Greg Miller in context of this discussion about seeking a secondary market aka selling home games, it was of course, one of Greg Miller's major innovations as CEO to launch the Travelling Kangaberries in the first instance.

Once Tassie deal ends would love for the club to play the following home game split.

7 Marvel
3 MCG
1 sold game - Cairns

With the MCG games, request that they are against big drawing clubs like Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton, scum.
Request that our home game on Good Friday be switched to the MCG against Carlton.
Would love for us to play more than 1 game a year at the G. This would be so beneficial for our youngsters if we end up playing 3-4 games a year there. Also, I would expect an increase in membership numbers given that our supporters would see more value in the membership by not selling 4 games a year to another market.
It’s time that we bring these games back to Melbourne.
We can still sell 1 game a year to Cairns to make some money.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I could not read the articles as behind pay wall but a few weeks ago I saw a couple saying both saints and Carlton pushing for more mcg games. Why not us as well

Games at Pork Barrel Stadium have been touted for a while now but I'm not sure how serious an opportunity it is.
They would not let western united play there apparently so doubt it. Seem to want to keep it for the cats despite the gov money that went into it.

Games at Pork Barrel Stadium have been touted for a while now but I'm not sure how serious an opportunity it is.
Devil would be in the detail. What made Princes Park such a poor home ground for the tenant clubs was Carlton charging an arm and a leg yet refusing to provide the members and corporate facilities. Geelong would almost certainly retain sponsorship, signage and pourage rights so the benefit of playing there rather than Docklands would be highly questionable. And obviously, no tourism authority is offering us money to play a game less than an hour up the freeway.

They are, and we'd love to do similar, as you say though, we don't have enough capital rn.

Good points - areas like this are?

I can guarantee you if there was something this easy just lying around, they would have done it by now.

Mindful of the time I can take out of my day running my own business to properly answer this question 🤣, but off the top of my head we have:

• Extensive marketing team
  • Content and video team
  • Database of 100k potential customers
  • Business owners through the North Network
  • Hospitality events like NMCF breakfast etc

So maybe you look at, let's say, a digital agency offering content and media buying services. You partner with an owner of a digital agency ideally who supports the club. Let's say you go 50/50. You create a subsidiary of his company, so "Kanga Digital," but he absorbs the day-to-day - staff, invoicing, etc.

They run the day-to-day of the biz. What's in it for them is access to our network, government influence for tenders, access to our content machine which we outsource to the business, access to our board members' advisory, events etc.

So now you have a digital agency which takes very little in terms of setup, a motivated operator, a product to market. This is an asset you build, generates cash distributions etc.

This is the first of a catalogue of businesses you build out, just a low-risk start.

Excuse the example of the product/service we would be best offering. Just a 2-minute idea. There are a million. Key is to keep them capital and time light and monetising our assets and building out a system we can replicate across other industries.

People are doing this every day Australia-wide, building businesses from very little with a lot less competitive advantages than we would have.

Other clubs are not doing it because its easy to just put their massive amounts of cash into 5-10% yield driving investments. Gotta think outside the box and get the right people on board.

Last edited:
I think 9 Marvel + 2 games sold is where it will land, and i'd be onboard. One home game sold to WA looks likely, and perhaps a regional secondary market.

Well we are behind other clubs in regards to football departments, facilities etc.

We do need to continue to re-invest into making our football club stronger and if that means have to sacrifice a few home games outside of Melbourne to help generate further cash then so be it.
Those are cop outs.

Footy departments are capped and our facilities are fine.

No one complained during the 90’s when we had rusted weights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right I've caught up with this thread and I will organise a teams meeting for 8 July, and this will be your time to shine. You can put forward your RRP. Revenue Raising Plan.

We will have a panel of amateur experts from BF and they will decide on what plans we put forward to the club.

Notable notes as per below

1. we're 2 million short pa from 2028.
2. So far we've sucked 20 odd mil out of the Isle.
3. How do we suck more out of another 'partner', on the pretense we're doing them a huge favor.
4. Coffee cart ideas can GTFO - you'd need to sell 447,143 * $4.50.
5. Huddle is the key
6. Why is the huddle the key
7. It gives us access to cheap labour.

Chop, chop campaigners !

Those are cop outs.

Footy departments are capped and our facilities are fine.

No one complained during the 90’s when we had rusted weights.
And this isn’t the 90’s anymore, catch up with the times.

If we're a much better side by the time Tassie comes, maybe the degree of difficulty to find an alternative is less daunting.

But she needs to get in more sponsors as a start. We are a very marketable organisation with so much community influence.

And this isn’t the 90’s anymore, catch up with the times.

Yeah anyone planning to stage a boardroom coup and also expecting they can attract and keep top end playing talent with rusty weights and asbestos portables on the basis that it was good enough for the 90s might need to rethink their campaign strategy.

Helps create the Pink Lady Game, Big Freeze at the 'G, and a thing called AFLW.

"Doesn't know anything about innovation."

YES!

So much upside to this. North having a strong aboriginal culture and history paired with community backing will make NT a much better prospect for AFL football.

Not only that, it would be a huge injection of revenue and community driven projects for struggling areas. I like this so much.

Hopefully we get some awesome talent through the door as well (just selfishly 😎)

We got 11 home games l'd buy my $700 m'ship back again. Wouldn't be the only one.
I pay ~$700 ea for home memberships now, will happily pay whatever extra for 4 more games.

I've never been one for microwaving memberships or packing in my game day patronage but I gotta say, I've been hanging out for the Tassie games to return to Melb for too damn long. I'll be equal parts angry and upset if we don't return to 11 at Marvel. I understand our commercial challenges but 7 games does my head in.

If this young group gets to any heights and we don't give our Vic supporters a decent crack to grow the bandwagon via 11 home games at Marvel, we probably won't get that chance again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back