Strategy CEO Thread - Jennifer Watt - Started Jan 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Given that the AFL now owns our home stadium we can only assume the deal for us is much improved (dreaming). On that basis we should be looking at returning two games to our members and two games interstate. That would send a message to us that our patience and support is being rewarded. Jenn was appointed on the basis of her commercial acumen - show us your skills please. If you are merely thinking that you will sell the Tassy games to the highest bidder you are failing the members. And please, tell us members first what your plans are before just dropping it in the media.

I find it very hard to believe this would ever get ticked off, particularly with all the other clubs having access to zones there already. Seems to me another Tom Morris bullshit slow news day story.

We need a zone with Tassie coming in as we will be zoneless.

Most AFL clubs get more out of their suburban Melbourne zones than NT, they won’t want their territories in VIC carved up.

Can you imagine how much it will cost to run?

It’s got enormous potential obviously as a large portion of NT’s best players are indigenous.

It will be very interesting if the NT government have a boosted sponsorship arrangement for games to fund the NGA Academy and NT development pathways.

I pay ~$700 ea for home memberships now, will happily pay whatever extra for 4 more games.

I've never been one for microwaving memberships or packing in my game day patronage but I gotta say, I've been hanging out for the Tassie games to return to Melb for too damn long. I'll be equal parts angry and upset if we don't return to 11 at Marvel. I understand our commercial challenges but 7 games does my head in.

If this young group gets to any heights and we don't give our Vic supporters a decent crack to grow the bandwagon via 11 home games at Marvel, we probably won't get that chance again.

James Brayshaw and Eugene Arocca couldn't get 11 home games in Melbourne to work and had to go looking for a secondary market, even with all the goodwill and passion following the Gold Coast relocation rejection. Granted, there was a massive debt to overcome which is no longer the case but the core business challenges remain the same.

The thing is, how does the club gain momentum with its supporters if the home games are so far apart?

This year, we went from round 6 to round 14 without a home game in Melbourne. Horrendous fixture. Bottom team or not that's nowhere near good enough.

You need to give an additional two home games in Melbourne to fill that gap. It's ridiculous.

The thing is, how does the club gain momentum with its supporters if the home games are so far apart?

This year, we went from round 6 to round 14 without a home game in Melbourne. Horrendous fixture. Bottom team or not that's nowhere near good enough.

You need to give an additional two home games in Melbourne to fill that gap. It's ridiculous.

No argument, that gap sucks. My personal fallback position would be two home games sold to **** knows where (Darwin, Alice Springs, Perth, wherever) and the other two within driving distance of the Melbourne GPO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People will flock when there's value. Right now, the 7 home game deal isn't much value and only the fanatic rusted on go for that.

If you offer 9 home games for the same price there will be more people at the footy. The club went too far with the alternative revenue streams. There was an issue with attendance (to combat) but it was worsened by allowing 4 games in Tassie. You've essentially given ammo to people that were on the reserved seat membership to downgrade or cancel to just watch with a Kayo membership. Pissed away 400 odd per person (or 700 if they cancel altogether). That adds up.

You can't go to extremes to chase money and then allow such a long time between Melbourne home games. It's deflating to look at the fixture and realise the next home game is miles away.

I pay ~$700 ea for home memberships now, will happily pay whatever extra for 4 more games.

I've never been one for microwaving memberships or packing in my game day patronage but I gotta say, I've been hanging out for the Tassie games to return to Melb for too damn long. I'll be equal parts angry and upset if we don't return to 11 at Marvel. I understand our commercial challenges but 7 games does my head in.

If this young group gets to any heights and we don't give our Vic supporters a decent crack to grow the bandwagon via 11 home games at Marvel, we probably won't get that chance again.
l would even take 3 of our Tassie home games in Bendigo and 1 in NT..

No argument, that gap sucks. My personal fallback position would be two home games sold to **** knows where (Darwin, Alice Springs, Perth, wherever) and the other two within driving distance of the Melbourne GPO.
This could work too. I'm happy to travel to Gippsland lol.

Just give us some consecutive homes games or keep them close enough.

I bet you the memberships will increase substantially if the Melbourne homes games had 9 with two either interstate home games or community-driven country home games.

North is a very marketable organisation and has been for years. Jen has a lot of untapped potential in front of her to harness.

Thats more an issue with the fixture. Its far to compromised fitting in "traditional" rounds like anzac day and rubbish whims like gather round.

This could work too. I'm happy to travel to Gippsland lol.

Just give us some consecutive homes games or keep them close enough.

I bet you the memberships will increase substantially if the Melbourne homes games had 9 with two either interstate home games or community-driven country home games.

North is a very marketable organisation and has been for years. Jen has a lot of untapped potential in front of her to harness.
The cheaper vline pricing definitely makes commuting to the footy better, at least when the trains are actually running. The busses completely suck though.

Sorry if this sounds crazy but if it’s only $2m a year to find in additional revenue why don’t we just bump up the 50000 memberships we sell each year by an average of $40 on a sliding scale and get the 4 games back? I for one would be happy to pay the extra fir the 4 extra games. Also maybe if we win say 3-4 games a year we might even add to those 50k in the first place.

I’m a full member and live in Adelaide, if you Vics actually went to the games at marvel we wouldn’t need a second home.
Have a look at what our club is charging its members for a 7 home game reserved seat and then look what another tenant club at Marvel is charging for the same seat but for 11 home games.

Team form and various other things play a part in crowd numbers at games.....but more than a 3rd of the home games being interstate and what members are charged for the remaining 7 is a huge factor and an issue that doesn't get raised nearly enough around here.

Given that the AFL now owns our home stadium we can only assume the deal for us is much improved (dreaming). On that basis we should be looking at returning two games to our members and two games interstate. That would send a message to us that our patience and support is being rewarded. Jenn was appointed on the basis of her commercial acumen - show us your skills please. If you are merely thinking that you will sell the Tassy games to the highest bidder you are failing the members. And please, tell us members first what your plans are before just dropping it in the media.
I'd push hard for only 1 but feel 2 is a fair middle ground compromise.

I find it very hard to believe this would ever get ticked off, particularly with all the other clubs having access to zones there already. Seems to me another Tom Morris bullshit slow news day story.

Oh this would be glorious..
How long before the usual suspects in those clubs (and others) as well as the media begin the outrage and push back for this proposal.
It would be nice to wave the #$&# finger to all of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy CEO Thread - Jennifer Watt - Started Jan 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back