Draft camp 08

Remove this Banner Ad

This article's from today's Herald Sun ;

Herald Sun said:
RECRUITERS feverishly scribbled on notepads, coaches chatted and the players buzzed around them. Then, it all stopped.
Nicholas Naitanui was stepping up for the running vertical-leap test. The basketball centre at the Australian Institute of Sport fell silent.
Such is the hype surrounding the West Australian teenager of Fijian descent that a crowd surrounded court 2 before he had taken a step.
Even fellow draft hopefuls, who should have been in other parts of the building twisting, turning and sprinting, gathered to watch the 197cm Naitanui do what he does best - jump.
Reminded of where he should be, North Adelaide's Phil Davis said: "I'm injured. Call it the benefits of being injured."
Naitanui, 18, jogged five steps and took off. Onlookers literally gasped.
The dreadlocked ruckman's fingertips reached a peg 3.62m off the ground. His vertical leap measured 102cm, giving him a share of the bragging rights with Brisbane Lions utility Jared Brennan as the biggest in draft camp history.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24438491-19742,00.html

Liked the look of him at the carnival, I guess people were thrown off with the 189cm height which is wrong anyway.

2nd round for me, would like it if he's there for ours.;)
Yeah, he looks the goods doesn't he?

Noticed that at draft camp he's being classified as a forward, but he's more a tall midfielder yeah?

Yeah, he looks the goods doesn't he?

Noticed that at draft camp he's being classified as a forward, but he's more a tall midfielder yeah?

Not sure, haven't seen a lot of him. Some of the SA based people may be able to help.

But at the carnival he was pushing up the ground in a lead up CHF role. Thought he played as well as Johnston during the carnival, just 2 diff type of players

true, but i think he certainly 'underperformed'.

Yeah i tend to agree. He was on radio here, on SEN, and he said that he had a bit of a bug and that he didn't sleep much Tuesday night.

I'm not sure if he was just making excuses trying to take pressure off himself or if it's genuine, but it may explain his decent but not exceptional results.

Yeah i tend to agree. He was on radio here, on SEN, and he said that he had a bit of a bug and that he didn't sleep much Tuesday night.

I'm not sure if he was just making excuses trying to take pressure off himself or if it's genuine, but it may explain his decent but not exceptional results.

He sat out of the beep test so could well be true.

Naitanui jumps to it at camp

Emma Quayle, Canberra | October 3, 2008

ELEVEN years after he became Hawthorn's No. 3 draft choice, Trent Croad's little piece of history remains intact.
While Nick Naitanui yesterday equalled the running vertical jump record of 102 centimetres set by Brisbane's Jared Brennan at the 2002 draft camp, he fell five centimetres short of Croad's 83-centimetre standing jump record, set in 1997.
His thunder was stolen by West Australian teammate Stephen Hill, with the skilful wingman a likely first-round draft choice, completing the agility run in 7.77 seconds. He broke the record set by Danyle Pearce, picked up by Port Adelaide in 2004, of 7.79 seconds.
In all ways, though, Naitanui confirmed what the recruiters knew well before this week — that he is tall and quick, with a very big spring.
The best of his three 20-metre sprint times was 2.86 seconds, and he ran under three seconds each time.
He completed his testing under enormous pressure — with at least five cameras and about a quarter of the people in the Australian Institute of Sport's gym following him from test to test.
He had also arrived at the camp suffering from a virus and ran a repeat speed test on Wednesday night, running six 20-metre sprints in 25.10 seconds, equal fourth at the camp behind Ryan Schoenmakers (24.82), Sam Blease and Matt De Boer (24.97) and equal with James Strauss (25.10).
Naitanui was even rounded up by a group of kids at the end of his running jump test, and asked to sign some autographs.
Jack Watts, Melbourne's likely No. 1 pick, also proved that what he has shown in some quick leads this season was no fluke, running a 2.82-second sprint. He followed up with a 13.6 beep test last night, Eastern Ranges midfielder Rory Sloane posting the best score, of 14.8.
The teenager was the fastest non-indigenous player in draft camp history until Ashley Smith, who played for the Dandenong Stingrays in last Friday's TAC Cup grand final, notched a 2.80 run.
Tyrone Vickery was another stand-out in the speed testing — the ruckman's best time was 2.94 seconds, while Shaun McKernan, the brother of former North Melbourne player Corey, ran a 2.95.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Malthouse said that other than the interviews and getting all the guys in the one place the draft camp had no bearing on who he would pick up as the Scouts should have done their work well before the camp. Makes sense.

Interesting that Malthouse said that other than the interviews and getting all the guys in the one place the draft camp had no bearing on who he would pick up as the Scouts should have done their work well before the camp. Makes sense.

Surely if 2 players were rated bordeline that a more impressive draft camp would push one in front of the other?

on the issue of running vert leap test... my cousin was telling me he went to the VIC state screening in 2003 and there was a guy there who did 105cm!! Some guy from Northern Knights, didn't get drafted though. Name started with 'M', smallish midfield type. Apparently the pegs on the pole only went up to 100cm and they had to rejig it so they could get a register on his leap! so maybe Jarred and NicNat don't have the all-time draft camp/state screenings record after all??

hey shouldnt the bulldogs be saying stuff like we wont take cordy in our first round pick in the media and stuff so then other teams that just want to make us get him with our first might not bid on him coz they might not want him for the pick there offering

thats not even that good. i ran a 16.1 beep test and im not even an athlete

BULL****

So your saying, you not an athlete, and you run a better beep test than cale morton (15.2) and rhyce palmer (14.8)

you know that the beep test length is 20m?
I mean if it was 10m or 15m you were doing it off then yeh thats possible

otherwise you would be pro at athletics or even AFL....

hey shouldnt the bulldogs be saying stuff like we wont take cordy in our first round pick in the media and stuff so then other teams that just want to make us get him with our first might not bid on him coz they might not want him for the pick there offering

I don't think AFL teams are in the business of bluffing.

If a club makes a bid they'd be happy to take him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft camp 08

Remove this Banner Ad

Back