Draft Combine v Year 12 Final Exams

Remove this Banner Ad

Esky Lid

Senior List
Jul 2, 2007
Out Bush
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What happens when a Young 17 Year Old who is pretty good at School and Football ???

Hyperthetical : A 17 Year old has been invited to Draft Combine .. but its four weeks from his final End of Year 12 exams. He is a Kid trying to earn a Place in University , but he is a Talented footballer as well.

Does he Chose to go to the Draft Camp ?
OR can he say NO to the Draft camp to stay home to Study ?

Do AFL Clubs Recognise this ?

Will it seriously affect him being drafted ?

Or do clubs already know what he is capable of ... and encourage him to follow though on his studies , because has his head screwed on. Draft him knowing that he is capable of playing AFL and Completing University Studies ??

If its the choice of missing one day of study and attending the draft combine, they would be stupid not to go. One day of study is going to make negligible difference to your final exams this far out, and if they feel it is, well why not just smash out some big study days either side.

If its the choice of missing one day of study and attending the draft combine, they would be stupid not to go. One day of study is going to make negligible difference to your final exams this far out, and if they feel it is, well why not just smash out some big study days either side.

I thought the Draft Combine was 5 Day in Melbourne this year. Previous years in Canberra. :confused:

If a student is serious about his studies, then he will have studied everyday of the year. Therefore taking some time off really wont make much of a difference.

Both Ayce Cordy & Luke Ball scored in the high 90s for their VCE, I don't recall them skipping any of the draft camps though

This topic tends to feature in a lot of the local newspapers. In most cases, the individual knows which path he is going to take before the decision needs to be made :thumbsu:

I recall reading an article saying a lot of them bring their study with them. I think they said there might even be a designated study area for when testing/interviews aren't being held.

I'm in yr 12 at the moment and I would go to the draft combine any day the week. My ATAR is predicted to be reasonably high as well. I'm assuming many people would be like me

Year 12 exams are the most overrated thing in the word.

You can drop out in year 10 travel the world for 2 years or whatever then go to tafe and get in any uni course you want as a mature age student if your smart enough. They have to have a certain amount of mature age students in each course anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can drop out in year 10 travel the world for 2 years or whatever then go to tafe and get in any uni course you want as a mature age student if your smart enough. They have to have a certain amount of mature age students in each course anyway.

This, 2 years after VCE your ATAR/ENTER means nothing.

Also with half reasonable school results you don't even need to go through tafe, can go do some other entry test for Mature Age, is called STAT in WA, and is incredibly easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Combine v Year 12 Final Exams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back