Draft: Michael Hurley

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that Swift's results were awesome.

I continually remember that Swift blitzed the under 16's in both inside and outside midfield results and that he was rated superior to Rich.

I don't think you guys realize that Hurley played 90% of his junior footy as a key forward (chf,ff). Have watched him a fair bit and would love him at Bomberland, he is capable of playing in all key positions is strong overhead and is a beautiful kick on either side of his body.My son played against him and rates him highly.

TBH i am a bit sick of going for KPP's with our first pick, not that they have been bad choices necessarily.
It is just that to miss out on a A class middy could be a big mistake. Personally I would be happier with a rusty, ziebell, hartlett or even swifty..
However I would look as hurley if somehow we could pick up another relatively early 1st rounder so we could have a finger in each pie, ie. hurley then one of the above mentioned....

I don't think you guys realize that Hurley played 90% of his junior footy as a key forward (chf,ff). Have watched him a fair bit and would love him at Bomberland, he is capable of playing in all key positions is strong overhead and is a beautiful kick on either side of his body.My son played against him and rates him highly.

He played forward for Macleod?

I have been contemplating alot over wheter we go for Hurley or not, the thing that has continaully come back to my mind, is the fact that the midfielders in this draft, only run so deep, ie, top 10 mids are good, then a massive gap, but then the talls run a little deeper in this draft, even if we do not get one of Hurley, Lisle, Trengrove, we could still be happy with a Riley Milne, Tom Simpkin or even a Zach Sengstock, the possibilites of a Key position backmen do not stop at just Hurley and Lisle, I for one would love Swift, as I am really beginning to think that he is fast over coming his injuries from his juniopr days, and rated ahead of Rich is a huge compliment, a massive one infact, he has had injuries in his younger years, but their have been many players in this scenario, just a few things to ponder over....

What I like about the prospect of Hurley is that his strengths and weaknesses complement Ryders'. Any target that Hurley is not suited to Ryder takes. If there is no target which he is suited to (unlikely) then he can be switched forward.

I for one think we should go for Hurley -- Our midfield started to sholw signs this year. I think we should ensure we have as good a defense as we can put together for the future. The argument that the midfield depth isn't as good this year doesn't hold with me as midfielders tend to develop quicker -- If we use our first pick on a mid next year it should work out for us in the end.

I have been seriously thinking about a couple of things in the last couple of hours,

1) We should rookie Andrew Lee, 3 - 4 years of development for nothing, one more year wont hurt,
2) Tom Swift was a better prospect than Rich at under 16 level,
3) Talls run deep in terms of quality, mids dont.
4) we could possibly pick up a tall defender with a traded pick for Lovett.

just a few things we have to ponder....

Who we take with pick 5 will all depend on whether we get pick 12. If we do get pick 12, I think Swift/Sidebottom/Ziebell will go at pick 5. If we dont get pick 12, I think we should get Hurley at pick 5. Of the teams between picks 5 and 12, only Carlton and possibly North would be looking to draft a KPP defender IMO. Therefore we might be able to get someone like Trengrove/Johnston. I have a feeling one of those two will slip to pick 12, but not having seen any TAC footy, it is only a gut feeling.

The way I see it, there are only about 20 or so good quality key position backs in the league while there are alot more quality midfielders.

That's why I'd go Hurley but I wouldn'tbe too distressed if we don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having played with and against Hurley i would love him at essendon. He finished his U13 season as a genuine left footer and next season he was kicking on his right foot. Mind you he was kicking it 50m back then aswell.

i think most are forgetting he can play forward too, i remember him kicking 6 in a match once last year

I will openly state this is a friend of a friend thing so take it how you want.

A mate at work (who I have been badgering for a while as he knows the Hurley family) just came back from leave and told me that Essendon have told Michael that they will take him if he is available. They have given him a weights program and a diet.

I am a little torn on this; I trust my work mate so I am not skeptical of the quality of the information but as an Essendon supporter the speed thing has me worried reading through the previous posts. If he is doing anything above 3.05 it's a bit of a worry. I suppose a question that comes to mind is what did Pears run last year at the camp? He doesn’t seem to be that quick to me and everybody seems to think he is a future full back.

End of the day this means little as I have heard on a number of occasions where clubs have made a promise, something changes and they don’t follow through. Just say from some insane reason Rich falls to 5, the bombers would be very torn then.

Any thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft: Michael Hurley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back