Dream Time game in Darwin a nightmare for locals

Remove this Banner Ad

Can the government not just compulsorily acquire the rights to the flag? Waiting until 70 years after the guy has died and it goes into the public domain doesn't seem like a great solution.

I would have more sympathy for the creator / owner if he wasn't on-selling said rights to some particularly unsavoury companies.

I don't have a problem with the creator getting financial benefit but having ongoing royalties seems problematic for a flag.

Something stinks about this arrangement.

It's a cracking flag.. so pity to see it at the centre of a dispute..

Probably more chance of money getting to those that need it while he has the rights rather than the government getting their filthy mitts on it, wouldn't trust the NLC either(unless they've cleaned up their act)

Also, now that race has been mentioned im sure some white knight moderator will shut this thread down to show what a good boy they are to their other moderator friends.
BF does have female mods.

Racism, sexism... this thread is only missing ageism to complete the trifecta!

The Aboriginal flag is recognised under Commonwealth law as "the flag of the Aboriginal peoples of Australia and a flag of significance to the Australian nation generally", but copyright of the design is held by Indigenous artist and land rights activist Harold Thomas and he must approve its use.

Harry designed the flag.
The rights to use the flag on clothing are owned by WAM Clothing. They've threatened to sue if the AFL put it on the jumpers.

Probably more chance of money getting to those that need it while he has the rights rather than the government getting their filthy mitts on it, wouldn't trust the NLC either(unless they've cleaned up their act)

Does he own the rights though? Or is it WAM? The government wouldn't charge people to use it...

If you’re on the money this would also be a weekly thing outside Optus Stadium given the sizeable indigenous support base that don’t get access to tickets unless they’re members.

So which is it?
Have you been to Darwin?

Perth and Darwin are basically completely different planets that's how different they are.

Not good enough from the AFL.
Where did you get this info from?
Would have thought the media would have been all over this.
Like the media would give a shit about Darwin, the rest of the country gives crazy amounts of stick to the NT for seemingly no reason. You lot can't even give places like WA, SA or Qld some media love when it comes to AFL. As if you'd even glance at the Territory.

Then there's clear undertones of racism throughout this thread and accompanied by pure utter condescending bait like 'thats racist of you to assume indigenous people are poor'. If you lived up in Darwin you'd know that it's a fact the inequality, and it's something that needs to change, that takes time, that needs strategies to bring the local community into employment, to bring the country areas greater opportunities. But southerners just say blatant crap such as 'we all get treated equal'. You truly don't know what goes on up here.

Regarding the topic? Absolutely seats should have been held for the community, it would have been a true opportunity to really celebrate indigenous culture, in a part of Australia that pays more respect to indigenous culture than down south does. It's eradicated down there.

Instead it's just going to go to paying fans as if it was just another game, not a Dreamtime in Darwin game. Not the worst thing, but it's definitely not what it was marketed as.

Like the media would give a sh*t about Darwin, the rest of the country gives crazy amounts of stick to the NT for seemingly no reason. You lot can't even give places like WA, SA or Qld some media love when it comes to AFL. As if you'd even glance at the Territory.

Then there's clear undertones of racism throughout this thread and accompanied by pure utter condescending bait like 'thats racist of you to assume indigenous people are poor'. If you lived up in Darwin you'd know that it's a fact the inequality, and it's something that needs to change, that takes time, that needs strategies to bring the local community into employment, to bring the country areas greater opportunities. But southerners just say blatant crap such as 'we all get treated equal'. You truly don't know what goes on up here.

Regarding the topic? Absolutely seats should have been held for the community, it would have been a true opportunity to really celebrate indigenous culture, in a part of Australia that pays more respect to indigenous culture than down south does. It's eradicated down there.

Instead it's just going to go to paying fans as if it was just another game, not a Dreamtime in Darwin game. Not the worst thing, but it's definitely not what it was marketed as.

Try reading NT.Thunder posts and then start again.

The Aboriginal Flag was originally designed for the land rights movement and has been embraced as a symbol of the Aboriginal people of Australia. ... In a notice sent to manufacturers, WAM Clothing says it is the authorised agent for Harold Thomas, the owner of the flag's copyright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know they are located on the same planet.
Of course I do, but the point still stands. It's sheer big city arrogance to assume that they're in any way shape or form comparable to each other in almost anyway. Unless someone's been to both places (which is unlikely for most), then they really shouldn't be commenting on the social issues without beginning to get close to understanding any context.

Of course I do, but the point still stands. It's sheer big city arrogance to assume that they're in any way shape or form comparable to each other in almost anyway. Unless someone's been to both places (which is unlikely for most), then they really shouldn't be commenting on the social issues without beginning to get close to understanding any context.
It's good to get your daily rant out of the way early in the morning.

So you’re blaming the AFL, Richmond and Essendon for the reduced capacity that is obviously an NT government decision? Best to take it up with your local member. And I’m not talking about the paid up members you are so outraged about attending this game.

Did the NT government schedule this game in Darwin?

No. They didn't.

The AFL did. And unfortunately they didn't do a lot of thinking about how it may pan out with severely restricted crowd numbers at 1/3rd capacity. TBH neither did the NT Government. They are obviously hoping to get an uplift at the polls on Saturday's election by hosting these games.

I was talking with a police officer yesterday who I know, he is on roster for both Friday and Sat night games. They are concerned about the number of people who will be outside the stadium who can't get in and are expecting a lot of fence jumpers, more so Sat night.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Did the NT government schedule this game in Darwin?

No. They didn't.

The AFL did. And unfortunately they didn't do a lot of thinking about how it may pan out with severely restricted crowd numbers at 1/3rd capacity. TBH neither did the NT Government. They are obviously hoping to get an uplift at the polls on Saturday's election by hosting these games.

I was talking with a police officer yesterday who I know, he is on roster for both Friday and Sat night games. They are concerned about the number of people who will be outside the stadium who can't get in and are expecting a lot of fence jumpers, more so Sat night.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
I last lived in Darwin in the 80's and Marrara was basically a walk in option . I would imagine, as you stated, fence jumpers (and climber unders) could just about outnumber paying people. :D It is indeed a shame that they have not allowed walk in options.

See, I think he was trying to make a pretty valid point.
But I get that Alan Jone, Andrew Bolt and you aren't quite there yet.

That's what you get when you try to be a smartarse but are too thick to be any good at it.

Which of my response to which poster were you referring to?

The only one that seems to have any information in this thread that's worth reading is NT.Thunder

Last edited:
Then there's clear undertones of racism throughout this thread and accompanied by pure utter condescending bait like 'thats racist of you to assume indigenous people are poor'.
That’s far from condescending bait. It’s simply questing the blanket stereotype mindset. Nobody’s saying a serious amount of inequality in NT doesn’t exist, however there’s some who are flat out implying that no indigenous person can afford a membership. That’s just dumb.

I was at the game last night and the Indigenous representation was probably over-respresented in terms of a true reflection of the population. And I know for a fact that there were ticket allocations for remote communities with limited access to the internet or computers. So, for you to be making such strong claims on the racial undertones in this thread, you have shown to be quite ignorant and don’t have much idea of what you are talking about.

I don't have a problem with the creator getting financial benefit but having ongoing royalties seems problematic for a flag.

Something stinks about this arrangement.

It's a cracking flag.. so pity to see it at the centre of a dispute..

Yes, the AFL want to use somebody else's legal property for commercial purposes without paying for it.

As far as I understand the demand for royalties is if the flag is used for commercial purposes.

Yes, the AFL want to use somebody else's legal property for commercial purposes without paying for it.

As far as I understand the demand for royalties is if the flag is used for commercial purposes.

So what if the Australian government demanded royalties for commercial use of the national flag? Would that be ok? Sorry.. you put the flag up in your pub..You show it in a TV commercial.. pay us!!

We're all one country and I'm someone who very much believes in the benefits of capitalism.. but the aboriginal flag is a very important symbol for that community. For an non-indigenous company to say when it can and can't be shown based on how much people will pay them flat out stinks.

I have no issue with the original creator receiving a financial benefits but practically it can't be in the form of ongoing payments like royalties and when he "sold the rights" it should have been just to the government.

The AFL tries to support virtually every social issue and most of the time I roll my eyes.. on this one though I am 100% with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dream Time game in Darwin a nightmare for locals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back