Dream Time game in Darwin a nightmare for locals

Remove this Banner Ad

So what if the Australian government demanded royalties for commercial use of the national flag? Would that be ok? Sorry.. you put the flag up in your pub..You show it in a TV commercial.. pay us!!

We're all one country and I'm someone who very much believes in the benefits of capitalism.. but the aboriginal flag is a very important symbol for that community. For an non-indigenous company to say when it can and can't be shown based on how much people will pay them flat out stinks.

I have no issue with the original creator receiving a financial benefits but practically it can't be in the form of ongoing payments like royalties and when he "sold the rights" it should have been just to the government.

The AFL tries to support virtually every social issue and most of the time I roll my eyes.. on this one though I am 100% with them.

Well if they own the flag they have the right to say what is done with it. They own it. The law is clear. The owner can demand whatever royalties they wish, it is up to COMMERCIAL BUSINESSES like the AFL whether they want to pay those royalties.

Well if they own the flag they have the right to say what is done with it. They own it. The law is clear. The owner can demand whatever royalties they wish, it is up to COMMERCIAL BUSINESSES like the AFL whether they want to pay those royalties.

Yes.. but the point is the private enterprise shouldn't own it.

Yes.. but the point is the private enterprise shouldn't own it.

They own the rights, like the AFL owns the rights to the AFL logo, the jumpers, the club names.

As I said I understand there is no issue with people using the flag but if it is being used for business purposes you have to pay royalties. What exactly is your issue with that? They should give their property to the AFL, just because?

I'm really disappointed by Harold Thomas. No-one forced him to sell the rights to his flag to make a buck. Let's hope the government doesn't pay millions to acquire the rights to this flag. Let Harold Thomas do the honourable thing and allow anyone to use it.

I'm really disappointed by Harold Thomas. No-one forced him to sell the rights to his flag to make a buck. Let's hope the government doesn't pay millions to acquire the rights to this flag. Let Harold Thomas do the honourable thing and allow anyone to use it.

Why doesn’t someone just come up with another flag and sign the rights away to an indigenous group in perpetuity ?.

Not like this flag has been around for any length of time and its current usage for generating commercial income has strayed far from the original purpose.

Why doesn’t someone just come up with another flag and sign the rights away to an indigenous group in perpetuity ?.

Not like this flag has been around for any length of time and its current usage for generating commercial income has strayed far from the original purpose.

That's what we should do. Don't give a cent to Harold Thomas.

They own the rights, like the AFL owns the rights to the AFL logo, the jumpers, the club names.

As I said I understand there is no issue with people using the flag but if it is being used for business purposes you have to pay royalties. What exactly is your issue with that? They should give their property to the AFL, just because?

Because its a flag. That's why it's different. Its not the AFL logo, or the Vegemite brand, or even the Olympic rings. It has infinitely more symbolic meaning to a whole group of people. If a Chinese entity bought the rights to the Australian flag, would you be ok with that?

I don't mind people owning commercial rights to all sorts of things. In fact, i suspect you and I would agree on a whole lot in that regard. But commercial rights shouldn't be privately held over our indigenous peoples' flag.. especially when it was never the people as a collective that sold it.

Because its a flag. That's why it's different. Its not the AFL logo, or the Vegemite brand, or even the Olympic rings. It has infinitely more symbolic meaning to a whole group of people. If a Chinese entity bought the rights to the Australian flag, would you be ok with that?

I don't mind people owning commercial rights to all sorts of things. In fact, i suspect you and I would agree on a whole lot in that regard. But commercial rights shouldn't be privately held over our indigenous peoples' flag.. especially when it was never the people as a collective that sold it.

I agree with you in principle but I also believe that a billion dollar organisation that wants to use someone's property for their business should pay for it, instead of spending money running a PR campaign to try to get out of paying.

The flag should be acquired by the Government and kept for the people, but even if that happens the AFL still should be paying if it uses someone else's work for commercial purposes.

I agree with you in principle but I also believe that a billion dollar organisation that wants to use someone's property for their business should pay for it, instead of spending money running a PR campaign to try to get out of paying.

The flag should be acquired by the Government and kept for the people, but even if that happens the AFL still should be paying if it uses someone else's work for commercial purposes.

For other things I agree with AFL should pay. This one is different though.

I think the AFL is doing this out of principle. They could pay but wanted to alert people to this situation. Seems like most of the indigenous community didn't know what the story with their own flag was.

Like I said.. most times when the AFL goes SJW, it annoys me, but I'm with them on this.

I think the AFL is doing this out of principle. They could pay but wanted to alert people to this situation. Seems like most of the indigenous community didn't know what the story with their own flag was.

Like I said.. most times when the AFL goes SJW, it annoys me, but I'm with them on this.

I don't agree with you sorry. They want to use the flag for their own commercial purposes so they can make money from merchandise with the flag on it.

They are alerting people for their own commercial aims, whether that is purely financial or to increase their reputation with a certain segment of the market.

The AFL picking & chosing when & where it tramples outside footy, that is unacceptable to me.
Respect for players is a footy issue, a squabble over the flag is the AFL muscling up & totally inappropriate.

There is the money in Aboriginal land Councils to buy it:
Australia's most-troubled Aboriginal community, Aurukun on western Cape York in Queensland, has locals living in abject poverty, yet a trust set up to help pay for health, education and other essential infrastructure has more than $120 million in cash and assets that remain untouched. Jul 13, 2020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't look like the KKK convention the OP was describing

I think he was just upset that he didn’t get a ticket to the big game.

The AFL picking & chosing when & where it tramples outside footy, that is unacceptable to me.
Respect for players is a footy issue, a squabble over the flag is the AFL muscling up & totally inappropriate.

There is the money in Aboriginal land Councils to buy it:
Australia's most-troubled Aboriginal community, Aurukun on western Cape York in Queensland, has locals living in abject poverty, yet a trust set up to help pay for health, education and other essential infrastructure has more than $120 million in cash and assets that remain untouched. Jul 13, 2020

Agree on the last point, I lived in Darwin for a number of years and did trips out to Kakadu and other places and when you visited the mining sites they all stated that they were only allowed to mine as the Aboriginal Land Councils gave them permission as they (land council) raked in tens of millions of $$$ each year from the leasing out the land yet kept the money to themselves and not to the people they were suppose to represent. They only have themselves to blame.

Agree on the last point, I lived in Darwin for a number of years and did trips out to Kakadu and other places and when you visited the mining sites they all stated that they were only allowed to mine as the Aboriginal Land Councils gave them permission as they (land council) raked in tens of millions of $$$ each year from the leasing out the land yet kept the money to themselves and not to the people they were suppose to represent. They only have themselves to blame.

A bit harsh but true. Minister Wyatt & Sen Pat Dodson should have a list of short term fixes & cleaning this up should be near the top.

Do thousands of indigenous fans drive hundreds of km every time an AFL game is held in Darwin? Yes.
And you're basing that on what? The same
My son has a mate
Well I heard from my brothers friends bosses dog that Darwin has 150,000 people that's 10% indigenous, I thought these locals were desperate to get their hands on tickets, why would 'thousands' of people hundreds of km away be able to get tickets?
For the indigenous locals its probably the 1 game for their life.
And what is it about them that makes them incapable of attending any of the other matches held there this round yet alone any match in the last 12 years or any game in the future?

Richmond and Essendon should arrange a gate share (if they haven't already) and alternate the game b/w the 'G and TIO.

There is zero incentive for the clubs to play in Darwin though. They get a guaranteed 80k at the g every time, dont have to travel and both teams will definately struggle next round after a tough game in the heat.

It's was a great atmosphere and would be even better with a full house at tio but unless the league forces them to play there dreamtime in darwin will be a once off.

There is zero incentive for the clubs to play in Darwin though. They get a guaranteed 80k at the g every time, dont have to travel and both teams will definately struggle next round after a tough game in the heat.

It's was a great atmosphere and would be even better with a full house at tio but unless the league forces them to play there dreamtime in darwin will be a once off.
Exactly and as a member who shells out thousands a year to the club I would be filthy if we lost a home game unless I was 100% guaranteed of a ticket in Darwin

Am at the game and can confirm there are literally 1000’s of people jumping the fence as I type this.

Ignore the vacant seats on TV, those people are all just having a smoke outside.
How was it there last night? Looked an exciting night with everyone in a happy mood getting their footy fix. The crowd sounded like it went off when Mozzie kicked his running goal! It’s been too long since Essendon in particular have been back in Darwin. I’m sure the fans there last night would’ve lapped up the occasion... And some great highlights from their local boys made it more special.

Personally I liked the atmosphere last night better than the G. Monster crowds at the G aren’t overly unique, we get them multiple times each year (except 2020). Last night was unique and I thought it really added to the event. It felt pretty special.

But outside of that I agree, the financial and football benefits lie in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dream Time game in Darwin a nightmare for locals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back