DT 2011 Forwards Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2011 Forwards Thread

x2. No chance of doing well if you don't pick him and he averages 80 odd. Hmm.

This styled statements are always so wrong.

I heard last year that you had to start with Chappy and Goddard to do well last year, maybe even Ablett. I had non of those 3 players at the start. Trading one of those in at round 7 and another one at round 10. Still managed to finish somewhere in the top 50, so no player is often a must have, especially only averaging 80.

Barlow last year would have been one of the few must haves.

Read an interview by Hardwick today that said he liked the idea of the interchange sub (course he has to say that or the afl would fine him) and he thought that more quality midfielders would "rest" in the forward line. Hopefully this is true AND champion data pull their finger out and we get some nice ctr/fwds in 2012 :)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106599/default.aspx

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick hopes key forward Jack Riewoldt can spend more time up the ground in 2011 after dropping three kilos in his recovery from finger surgery.
The 22-year-old played out last season and October's International Rules Series in Ireland with a damaged finger tendon in his left hand, and has done little more than run throughout the Tigers' summer program.
Riewoldt, whose breakout 2010 season won him the Coleman Medal as the competition's leading goalkicker and the Jack Dyer Medal as Richmond's best and fairest player, returned to full training just before Christmas.
"He's down to about 90 (kilos) now. He came in at 93 and probably got a little bit heavy towards the end of last year," Hardwick said.
"With the way the game's going to go this year - he played a lot of game time anyway - but we'd like to see him a bit more up the ground.
"His running today was outstanding. I think he finished in the top four or five in the 500m test, which was great."
Richmond kicked off its year at the Tan Track at Melbourne's Royal Botanical Gardens on Wednesday, with midfielder Matt White and former Bomber Bachar Houli the standout performers over distance.
Seven players posted personal-best times, with Hardwick impressed with the general condition of his group.
However, he expected it would be close to the end of the month before the five players on modified programs would rejoin their teammates.
Nathan Foley continues his recovery from the lower leg injuries that have hampered his last 18 months, while fellow midfielder Trent Cotchin will be eased back in after a strong pre-Christmas block.
"We're just going to take our time (with Foley)," Hardwick said.
"As we've said, we were never going to rush Nathan. When he's ready to go, he'll let us know.
"He's doing a lot of training and will come in fit and firing. We've just got to persevere and take some time with him."
Hardwick has been particularly pleased with the contribution of Houli, Shaun Grigg (Carlton) and Brad Miller (Melbourne), who all joined Richmond in the off-season.
He said the three players were quality characters who - in various roles - would complement the side as it built on its 15th-place finish of 2010.
"We've just got to improve in every facet of our game; not only our football, but the Richmond Football Club in general," Hardwick said.
"If we strive for that continuous improvement, we'll get to where we need to go. We still realise we've got a hell of a long journey in front of us, but we're making small steps, which is a positive.
"If we get incremental improvement into players, that's when we start to make progress. When we get that ... that's when we'll start making steps up the ladder."

This styled statements are always so wrong.

I heard last year that you had to start with Chappy and Goddard to do well last year, maybe even Ablett. I had non of those 3 players at the start. Trading one of those in at round 7 and another one at round 10. Still managed to finish somewhere in the top 50, so no player is often a must have, especially only averaging 80.

Barlow last year would have been one of the few must haves.

Yeah you're right. But imagine if he averages 90 odd and gets keeper status (7th forward who can also sub into the rucks). Surely it gets tough if you neglect to pick a keeper forward for less than 200k. Would you have finished higher if you had started with Ablett, whose price never came down? I wonder if anyone in the top 50 didn't start with Barlow?

On the other hand, if everyone else has Petrie and he fails, then you're advantaged over the competition.

Key forward Drew Petrie, whose 2010 season was wrecked by stress fractures in both feet, was not risked in the run on the hard surface, but he's ready for full training.

"I had some X-rays in December and the cracks in both feet are no longer there, there's new bone growth and some calcification which is covering the cracks. And that gives me more belief in being able to play again," Petrie said.

From the HUN. Didn't feel re-assured by it one little bit. A big risk imo.

I actually see this as a big positive and another reason why I am likely to pick Petrie next year.

In my own personal experience (haven't had stress fractures, but have had other fractures) once the new bone growth occurs the bone is actually stronger than ever and is fully recovered.

Just wondering, is anyone considering Sam Gilbert as a forward? The role change, as well as the fact Nick Riewoldt should be a lock and with the bye it'd be hard to fit more than one player into every line, is putting me off slightly.

Yeh only there keep gazza happy. Here is an interesting one.

Ryan Gamble (picked up by st kilda from geelong)

Averaged 60 in 2008 and 2009 over 21 games (was hard to get a game in that side). 2010 wasn't a great year, only played 2 games and averaged 47. given 2 games, would hopefully get 30% discount, which would price him around 133k (ish).

Pros
- 24, been in the afl system a fwe years (body should be afl ready).
- rookie priced, but mature body and can score well

thoughts

Yeh only there keep gazza happy. Here is an interesting one.

Ryan Gamble (picked up by st kilda from geelong)

Averaged 60 in 2008 and 2009 over 21 games (was hard to get a game in that side). 2010 wasn't a great year, only played 2 games and averaged 47. given 2 games, would hopefully get 30% discount, which would price him around 133k (ish).

Pros
- 24, been in the afl system a fwe years (body should be afl ready).
- rookie priced, but mature body and can score well

thoughts

Very tempting - the potential upside is huge but not keen on having Voldt and another St.K forward. Also, I wonder whether St,kilda recruited him as a bit of a back up FWD to cover injuries if required. Then again, their forward line was pretty smelly during the finals so it could be worth a gamble *spew*

Although I already had him in my Fanplanner team, I just noticed that Callum Wilson is now MPP F/B.

At $180,000 there wouldn't be many other FF that are pretty much garaunteed of a best 22 for rd.1. He also averaged 74 for his 4 games at the end of last year.

Even better if Retzlaff or Talia get games as a B/F!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although I already had him in my Fanplanner team, I just noticed that Callum Wilson is now MPP F/B.

At $180,000 there wouldn't be many other FF that are pretty much garaunteed of a best 22 for rd.1. He also averaged 74 for his 4 games at the end of last year.

Even better if Retzlaff or Talia get games as a B/F!!

Im going use mid price - keeper types for the B/F DP.

Dont rate Wilson at all and not guaranteed of games at all, not even round 1 like you mentioned. Lynch seems to be on the outer but id still rather him than Wilson. Theres only 1 tall forward spot up for grabs. Also Darling can play fullforward and the experience he may get early may outway the lesser influence he will have than Wilson.

Im going use mid price - keeper types for the B/F DP.

Dont rate Wilson at all and not guaranteed of games at all, not even round 1 like you mentioned. Lynch seems to be on the outer but id still rather him than Wilson. Theres only 1 tall forward spot up for grabs. Also Darling can play fullforward and the experience he may get early may outway the lesser influence he will have than Wilson.

Hmmmm, may I suggest reading the WC boards for training reports??

Wilson is extremly fit, generally training very well and is the only WC player training as a FF only. Darling on the other hand has not started full training at all.

Yes I can see Darling eventually being the 1st choice FF at WC but that probably won't be in 2011.

Lynch is training well but will not be a starting FF, Woosha has shown this in the past. He is far more likely to be a sub at best.

Hmmmm, may I suggest reading the WC boards for training reports??

Wilson is extremly fit, generally training very well and is the only WC player training as a FF only. Darling on the other hand has not started full training at all.

Yes I can see Darling eventually being the 1st choice FF at WC but that probably won't be in 2011.

Lynch is training well but will not be a starting FF, Woosha has shown this in the past. He is far more likely to be a sub at best.

I do follow the eagles a fair bit living in perth and knowing a few of the players including darling.

Wilson has always been a very fit guy and a person that will train as hard as possible, so i dont read much into him "having a great preseason and being extremely fit".

Even if he is the fullforward he has 2 guys very capable of taking his spot after a poor game - i just dont rate Wilson. Its only my opinion.

Also Lynch played alot as the permanent FF last year. But a sub would be a good position/role for him. Althoguh if hes the best FF than he will play there.

Lamb or Isaac Smith for a forward?

Thats for you to decide. But ones a mature aged player and one is a lean, lightly built player, so i know which one id pick.

Although quite a few people have Lamb in there teams, unsure why this is, maybe having a ripping pre season - in which i have yet to do much research into.

Lamb or Isaac Smith for a forward?

Lamb: is a very talented player and whilst he has shown outstanding form in the U18 comp including kicking 48 goals he is lightly built. He can lead up well with a good set of hands and has the ability to kick freakish goals. Certainly has the X-factor. Just remember traditionally forwards take longer to get in to the swing of AFL and he is purely a forward. That being said I was an advocate of getting him to hawthorn however the luck of the draw was that Issac Smith fell to our pick.

Smith: Talented runner with astounding speed whilst in possession of the ball. Loves to run and carry so might be better suited to SC with disposing into the F50 and running bounces ect. A nice kick and showed exceptional skills in the big games. The VFL final I believe where he kicked 3 goals on the run completely blowing his opposition players away in the process. He's a thrilling prospect and has shown to be a late developer with the last 2 years really impressive. He's 21-22 but like Lamb is on the skinny side so I'm not sure what DWD was trying to say before. Has a level head and could certainly be used in a variety of positions so obviously he has a few more strings to his bow.

Out of the 2 it would be Smith however I would take careful notice of training reports and NAB form.

Hope this helps.

I was stating that Lamb was slightly framed. Although Smith is he is probably alot stronger and also well matured/developed even though he isnt big. Still a mature aged player will stand up better than a first year flairy type player.

What are people's thoughts on Chris Knights? He is relatively cheap and has a fairly big upside considering he has averaged as high as 87.8 (2007) and averaged 83.1 and 84.7 in 2008 and 2009. Do any crows supporters know how he is going in his preseason?

What are people's thoughts on Chris Knights? He is relatively cheap and has a fairly big upside considering he has averaged as high as 87.8 (2007) and averaged 83.1 and 84.7 in 2008 and 2009. Do any crows supporters know how he is going in his preseason?

I'll be going with him. If his average is good enough (85+) he may even just become a keeper.

hasnt been much talk about buddy

how will he go this seeing hawthorn are very likely to be near the top?

could he like didak be a good upgrade target???

Remove this Banner Ad

DT 2011 Forwards Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back