DT 2011 Rucks Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So Brad Moran no chance of being in your best team?

not if Jacobs is fit, and even then I don't think Moran gets in. Tippett can relief ruck in the forwards and so can Shaun McKernan (who annoyingly isn't listed as a ruck) so it would be Maric + Tippett before Moran.

I wouldn't bother with any Adelaide ruckman though.

He's above Browne that's for sure, and he's possibly over Vickery given he may play FF with Graham looking to cycle with Derickx. I'm not saying he'll play 22, but IMO Vickery wont either and he'll be chucked in a few times. He's mature aged in a very very green list too, and may just be added in for experience and a big body at either end. I think Hardwick sees Graham and Vickery as our long term prospects but he will use Derickx in the meantime. I mean why else did he draft him for?

Thanks for that response. I notice that quite a few Tigers supporters have put Derickx in their 22 for round one, but the same is not true for Lions supporters and McCauley. He'll be interesting if Leuenberger gets injured, though.

I thought I read a news article which said that McCauley had been elevated, but I must have hallucinated because now I can't find it anywhere.

I don't think there are any 4th ruckmen who are gonna get games regularly - but you don't really need them with Zac Smith apparently gonna get lots of game time. Just pick your other rucks so that two don't miss the same week and you're set.

Seems like everyone is putting alot of faith into young Z Smith. In 2011 your third ruckman will play a minimum of 4 games to cover byes. If Smith goes down combined with fourth ruck stocks being pretty thin, their could be donuts everywhere. Depth will be the key to winning dreamteam in 2011.

Keefe is a key position defender not a ruckman, despite his height. He will be given opportunities this year but at this stage I am not sure how many games he will get. An injury to Tarrant would see him playing most weeks.

Would I be spending too much money going in with these rucks?

1. Sandliands
2. Cox
3. Fraser
4. Smith

Seems a bit inefficient having a $220,000 player sitting on the bench most weeks, although I also wouldn't be surprised if it saves me donuts along the way.

1. Sandliands
2. Cox
3. Fraser
4. Smith

Seems a bit inefficient having a $220,000 player sitting on the bench most weeks, although I also wouldn't be surprised if it saves me donuts along the way.

Fraser should go up in value though, so if it becomes clear that you won't need him after round 16, you can burn a couple of the extra trades they've given us, trade for a rookie and upgrade a midfielder.

Keefe is a key position defender not a ruckman, despite his height. He will be given opportunities this year but at this stage I am not sure how many games he will get. An injury to Tarrant would see him playing most weeks.

An injury to Reid could also see him brought in. At 204cm, Keeffe moves surprisingly well.

With the reduced interchange bench, some ruckmen will be rested in the forwardline in 2011. Clubs might need to counter this threat with some extra backline tall timber.

1. Sandliands
2. Cox
3. Fraser
4. Smith

I'd have Z Smith and then another sub 100k ruck. You could free up close to 100K and upgrade a mid pricer to a super premium somewhere else.

who is St. Kilda's fourth ruckman?

Gardiner and Kosi are both going to be at least 4-6 games.

who is St. Kilda's fourth ruckman?

Gardiner and Kosi are both going to be at least 4-6 games.

Rhys Stanley has been (club imposed) suspended since the New Zealand trip.
He will probably play a VFL practise match on Saturday.

Last year Stanley played as a forward while Riewoldt was injured.
I would consider that he will take Kosi's spot in the forward line, with brief spells in the ruck to relieve McEvoy. Stanley is an OK player, but because he played a few games last year his price is probably above the bargain level.

The other option is to use Archer, who was promising in the NAB cup but probably not a real ruck option. ( On Rookie list now, but there is a long term injury ( Gardiner ) spot available ).

At the moment ive come down to 3 rucks Mcevoy, Cox and Jolly. Cox is basically a lock in. Whilst the Mcevoy vs Jolly depends on structure and other positions. I personally dont really like the role Ryder is playing at the moment, but he would be the only other ruck i consider.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the moment ive come down to 3 rucks Mcevoy, Cox and Jolly. Cox is basically a lock in. Whilst the Mcevoy vs Jolly depends on structure and other positions. I personally dont really like the role Ryder is playing at the moment, but he would be the only other ruck i consider.

If you are after a keeper, I would consider it a good chance that McEvoy will be rested on and off later in the year IF Gardiner becomes available.

If you are after a keeper, I would consider it a good chance that McEvoy will be rested on and off later in the year IF Gardiner becomes available.

Gardiner is still a long way away from what ive heard? 8-10 weeks??

Plus he hasnt done any preseason or anything has he?? So you would think it might even take a bit longer and we all know what big lumbering 200cm ruckmen that are 30+ have against them.

But its a good point you make, however i think Mcevoy will prove himself in the first 8 rounds and become the dominant number 1 ruck at the saints. No guarantee that Gardiner will make it back into the side. IMO Mcevoy is easily the better player and will become so when finals time in 2011 comes around if given the number 1 ruck spot for the entire year.

Gardiner is still a long way away from what ive heard? 8-10 weeks??

Plus he hasnt done any preseason or anything has he?? So you would think it might even take a bit longer and we all know what big lumbering 200cm ruckmen that are 30+ have against them.

But its a good point you make, however i think Mcevoy will prove himself in the first 8 rounds and become the dominant number 1 ruck at the saints. No guarantee that Gardiner will make it back into the side. IMO Mcevoy is easily the better player and will become so when finals time in 2011 comes around if given the number 1 ruck spot for the entire year.

As a ruckman I think I prefer Gardiner ( fit ) in the side.
Gets more hit outs and kicks more goals. Can go up against opponents like Cox and hold his own. Thats why I think he's a chance to come back in if he gets fit.

As a dreamteamer McEvoy probably has more uspide though. Has a big tank and as a sole ruck he has potential to get more disposals ( averaged 10 last year ). He also tackles more than Gardiner.

FWIW I've got him, but not without some trepidation.

As a ruckman I think I prefer Gardiner ( fit ) in the side.
Gets more hit outs and kicks more goals. Can go up against opponents like Cox and hold his own. Thats why I think he's a chance to come back in if he gets fit.

As a dreamteamer McEvoy probably has more uspide though. Has a big tank and as a sole ruck he has potential to get more disposals ( averaged 10 last year ). He also tackles more than Gardiner.

FWIW I've got him, but not without some trepidation.

Yeah its interesting Stkilda probably suit the new sub rule the best aswell.

All of there 4 main rucks can play ruck or deep forward very well and have an impact in both areas.

IMO only 2 can make it into the side, so it is very risky picking Mcevoy as you said. If Gardiner comes back than i think him and Kozi will be the go. For me Kozi's position may come under scrutiny several times throughout the season.

Hey DWD I'd really find it easier to read your posts if you could possibly try to use "then" when appropriate.

Its not too hard.

Just remember. if...something, THEN....something .

So in this context you would say if Gardiner gets injured then McEvoy would get more opportunities (or whatever).

With "than" its usually linked with "rather" as in I'd rather choose McEvoy rather than Gardiner.

I've been reading your posts for years now and if you could just use "then" rather than "than" then it would make it some much easier than having to read "than" and thinking that should be "then".

Hey DWD I'd really find it easier to read your posts if you could possibly try to use "then" when appropriate.

Its not too hard.

Just remember. if...something, THEN....something .

So in this context you would say if Gardiner gets injured then McEvoy would get more opportunities (or whatever).

With "than" its usually linked with "rather" as in I'd rather choose McEvoy rather than Gardiner.

I've been reading your posts for years now and if you could just use "then" rather than "than" then it would make it some much easier than having to read "than" and thinking that should be "then".

Ollies, I was just taking a break from marking 60 year 9 prac reports and saw this post! Would you like to be a guest presenter in my next Science class and explain how to write a hypothesis, aka an "If......then....." statement. You scared me and I thought BF was morphing into my marking for a little bit there.

To add some relevancy to this post - I think it is very premature people jumping off Jolly after seeing a poor score last week. Premiums and NAB cup are not made for each other - if you have the faith, keep the faith. Also, interesting to see alot of people still being interested in Ryder. Sure he has fantastic scoring potential but are you willing to have one of your 2 premium rucks sitting out in grand final week of the league competition. Before you say, "Oh but I am not going for the league win." Trust me, come round 8 when you are no chance of winning the cruiser and your mates in various leagues are keening up for dream team you will turn more attention to the league win and therefore will be left in an interesting conundrum with Paddy as one of your premo rucks.

Yeah its interesting Stkilda probably suit the new sub rule the best aswell.

All of there 4 main rucks can play ruck or deep forward very well and have an impact in both areas.

IMO only 2 can make it into the side, so it is very risky picking Mcevoy as you said. If Gardiner comes back than i think him and Kozi will be the go. For me Kozi's position may come under scrutiny several times throughout the season.

Yeah with the sub rule we are looking at,
Mc Evoy , Kosi
Mc Evoy , Stanley
Gardiner , Kosi
Gardiner , Stanley

It wouldn't surprise me to see Lyon try McEvoy in the forward line, but I dont think it will work,

Yeah with the sub rule we are looking at,
Mc Evoy , Kosi
Mc Evoy , Stanley
Gardiner , Kosi
Gardiner , Stanley

It wouldn't surprise me to see Lyon try McEvoy in the forward line, but I dont think it will work,

I certainly don't think it would work either. Please Ross don't try. McEvoy is too slow as a leading forward and doesn't have the nous yet to outmanouver the key backs.

It i was coach of the saints id play Mcevoy every week without thinking, starting in the ruck. I would than probably play Kozi at full forward, he has never lived up to his potential apart from those 5 games where he put on an absolute display of brilliance. I think Kozi has to get games because he can comfortably hold down full forward whilst also play very good footy in the ruck, he can also probably win you a game or two each year.

Gardnier i don't really like as a forward and his time is up. Stkilda need to play Mcevoy, Lynch, A.Smith, J.Cripps and blood the youngsters to find improvement. They cant ask alot more of Goddard, NDS, Montagna, Riewoldt, Hayes. They have played to the very top of there game for some time now and cant take the side to a flag. (Admittedly almost did with a draw).

*Ollies i will try my best, im not a spelling, grammar genius. But will certainly try write then instead of than from now on.

Edit: I agree with whoever said people are jumping off Jolly, please do. Its amazing how people rely on NAB cup scores when picking there team, sure they can be a small indication. But everyone (wasnt picking Pendlebury before his big score), now he puts at a big score (everyone is picking him). I can tell you right now if he scores only 40-60 everyone wont be picking him again. Its amazing how people use this logic when picking players, it really only matters what they score in the R4 of the NAB than for alot of people on this board.

Remove this Banner Ad

DT 2011 Rucks Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back