DT Defenders 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
gopower / Chad (or anyone else),

What's your thoughts on how the Power backline will be setup next year. Obviously Krak designated kicker but who is the backup if he is sat on, particularly if Sal goes back in the middle.

Carlile at full back, Chappy and Chad the other tall defenders, Surjan sitting on the oppositions best small forward and Krakouer as the 'quarterback' are all pretty much 100%, but the last spot is up for grabs. If we trade for Ladson as Hutchy suggested he'll get it. If not, then I'd probably back Paul Stewart to take the last spot, but unless he shows something major in the pre-season he's not DT relevant (and I'm almost sure that Salopek will go back into the middle. And we're keeping him. **** off Richmond, unless you want to give up your first rounder which you won't.)

Keepers in the backline are normally the cheapest as a potential "keeper" average for a defender is someone that plays 20+ games and averages 80+ ppg.

completely agree, well spotted. Because the premiums score so low (87-93 last year).

Although the thing that worries me with the backline is that it can be hard to have 7 playing every week. The lack of rookies as cover makes it hard, and even durable players can miss games (bock,birchall,newman for me this year).

Harbrow
Hurley
Buckley - if realy cheap
Myers - same as Buckley

My 2 i like alot are injury prone players but i reckon would be keepers if they play 19 or more games

Grimes and X man

Harbrow is one im giving some serious thought too. Showed a fair bit after being moved down back. Played 20 games, and from memory was dropped for the other two (rather than being injured). Still priced at a decent average (75).

Anyone else think he improvement still left in him?

Harbrow is one im giving some serious thought too. Showed a fair bit after being moved down back. Played 20 games, and from memory was dropped for the other two (rather than being injured). Still priced at a decent average (75).

Anyone else think he improvement still left in him?

Didn't completely break into the side until Rd 4 this year and was trialled down back after being used last year as a small forward.

In short, he has been absolutely outstanding as a player all year, his position in the team is locked. His best scores come when the Dogs play very well, there's still potentially 5-10 points of upside if you see the Dogs continuing their form next year and similar to Port being a true premiership threat ;):D.

How is he as an actual defender though? Is he purely a rebounder or can he shut down a man? In other words, is he any chance of being sat on with a forward tag?

Also, is anyone considering Polak next year? If he gets a full PS in, he could be a decent option. Average of 34 from his two games this year, averaged a career high of 73.4 in 07 and 67 in 08 before his accident. Would he be in line for a discount?

How is he as an actual defender though? Is he purely a rebounder or can he shut down a man? In other words, is he any chance of being sat on with a forward tag?

Both.

His job first and foremost is to shut down the opposition's best small forward. Harbrow's inclusion to the Dogs backline has also freed up Hargrave (who used to get roles either tall or small) to be the second rebounder when Gilbee is sat on. So unless the Dogs opponents plan to tag everyone Harbrow's role next year will be similar to this year, his scoring improvement would come from confidence and development as a player as well as playing in a strong top 3 side.

With Kennelly possible returning to the swans, he should come across pretty cheap - given his last season was pretty average due to injury - plus another year off should see him have a healthy discount.

Hopefully - the year off contact sports gave his shoulders time to recover.

WIll be risky going into the year though with Kennelly and say a waters.

I remember I penciled Myers to be a gun after those 8 games he played if he gets a preseason and spot in the side he may well make it into my side as well...

I personally don't think Kenelly will be DT fantasy relevant even if he does get a discount (which he probably won't) it will probably be only 10% like B.Cousins received this year.

In the past he has pretty much stagnated at around the 63-65 average and I reckon a rookie would provide more value.

Kenelly is also pretty injury prone and whilst he has been playing Galic football (close enough to footy) he probably won't return to his AFL averages after being out of the game for a year.

They know we're coming :)

Just watch his role pre-season. It is probably my port bias, but i will egerly watch Broadbent over the summer. If he maintains back eligibility, hopefully he can get a bit of midfield time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. The word on Myers is that he's being groomed at Bendigo as an inside mid to help Watson out in the middle.

Had an outstanding close to the season as well.

So if he's in the squad come round 1, he's pretty close to a lock for me I reckon!

groundhog_day.jpg

Walesy's (more) right this time around though.

Word from some of the more knowledgeable posters who watch Bendigo is that Myers is a good shot to be in our best 22 next year.

Definitely worth serious consideration.

Just thought i'd add in my mid-priced defneders short list for 2010 to try and generate some player-specific discussion. I don't value 'structure' so i won't comment on that, i'll just throw in some players that i think could present value.

Mgrath - Ended the year very well averaginng something like 85 over his last 8-10 games when Adcock was out. With Rischitelli being played more on a HFF towards this year i think Adcock might recieve slightly more midfield time next year which would release Mgrath. Also, Voss seemed to play Drummond further up the ground (on a wing) towards the end of the season so if that continues Mgrath would most likely take over that running defender role that he thrived in.

Birchall - Our transition game should improve next year with a much more stable back 6, which should help Birchall's scoring. I would think a lot of people would buy him because he is in that range where he could be a 'cheap premium'. I don't really submit to that, and am currently wondering whether he is the right option since i don't think he has too much upside (80-85 is his limit IMO). Nevertheless, he looms as a dependable and quite durable option.

Harbrow - He really improved as a player this year but how much can he improve next year? If he continues his current rebounding role, which he should, he looms as a promising prospect in a quality team.

Hill - I'm surprised by how many people believe in the 'second year blues'. I don't believe that Hill will have a breakout year next year, i think a steady improvement is on the cards. His first few games where absolutely terrible so his average will be slgihtly deflated by that and he also had a couple shocking DT games where he was used as an additional tagger. Mark Harvey continually talked about resting young players this year but never got the chance thanks to injuries, i don't have his stats in front of me but i think Hill faded slightly towards the end of the year, something which should be less likely to happen in his second year. It is possible that he only has midfielder eligibility next year though...

Ladson & Beau Waters - Both coming of injuries but both have the ability to make plenty of money if they are fit. So far i have resisted the temptation to take one of these players in my plan team but their prices are very alluring.

Myers - Been mentioned a bit, if he is in the team he is another one who can make significant money.

Everitt - Don't know much about him but has shown a little bit in his games with the Dogs. He's a high draft pick and if traded to a club that gives him plenty of opportunity he could really thrive. I've got him right now and think he could be a good roughy.

Daniel Bell - With Whelan and Wheatley gone, Bell is a possibility to take over as a rebounding defender for the Dees. He has some competition in Bennell/Buckley however and Morton and Bruce also spent some time in defence this season. If he's in the team round 1 he could be a real surprise packet.

Lachie Hansen - From what i saw of him, he looked slightly lost at times this season and copped some criticism from the commentators too. I'm not sure if he has found his niche yet but i think he has potential to be a great talent. The Roos are a fickle side (Could finish anywhere from 5th-16th next year i reckon) in my opinion, so i think its hard to select many of their players but Hansen has shown glimpses.

Raines - Alot of people will bypass him but i think he could be worth a look if he is indeed traded to Brisbane. I don't rate him (didn't pick him this year thank goodness) but he could still be OK. If he deos go to Brisbane and looks like getting games, i'd certainly feel less confident in Mgrath.

Malceski - Dirt cheap, but it remains to be seen whether he can successfully return from his knee injury. I don't like his chances to be honest but i reckon preseason will tell a big story.

Thoughts on the above players would be appreciated...

Just thought i'd add in my mid-priced defneders short list for 2010 to try and generate some player-specific discussion. I don't value 'structure' so i won't comment on that, i'll just throw in some players that i think could present value.

Mgrath - Ended the year very well averaginng something like 85 over his last 8-10 games when Adcock was out. With Rischitelli being played more on a HFF towards this year i think Adcock might recieve slightly more midfield time next year which would release Mgrath. Also, Voss seemed to play Drummond further up the ground (on a wing) towards the end of the season so if that continues Mgrath would most likely take over that running defender role that he thrived in.

Birchall - Our transition game should improve next year with a much more stable back 6, which should help Birchall's scoring. I would think a lot of people would buy him because he is in that range where he could be a 'cheap premium'. I don't really submit to that, and am currently wondering whether he is the right option since i don't think he has too much upside (80-85 is his limit IMO). Nevertheless, he looms as a dependable and quite durable option.

Harbrow - He really improved as a player this year but how much can he improve next year? If he continues his current rebounding role, which he should, he looms as a promising prospect in a quality team.

Hill - I'm surprised by how many people believe in the 'second year blues'. I don't believe that Hill will have a breakout year next year, i think a steady improvement is on the cards. His first few games where absolutely terrible so his average will be slgihtly deflated by that and he also had a couple shocking DT games where he was used as an additional tagger. Mark Harvey continually talked about resting young players this year but never got the chance thanks to injuries, i don't have his stats in front of me but i think Hill faded slightly towards the end of the year, something which should be less likely to happen in his second year. It is possible that he only has midfielder eligibility next year though...

Ladson & Beau Waters - Both coming of injuries but both have the ability to make plenty of money if they are fit. So far i have resisted the temptation to take one of these players in my plan team but their prices are very alluring.

Myers - Been mentioned a bit, if he is in the team he is another one who can make significant money.

Everitt - Don't know much about him but has shown a little bit in his games with the Dogs. He's a high draft pick and if traded to a club that gives him plenty of opportunity he could really thrive. I've got him right now and think he could be a good roughy.

Daniel Bell - With Whelan and Wheatley gone, Bell is a possibility to take over as a rebounding defender for the Dees. He has some competition in Bennell/Buckley however and Morton and Bruce also spent some time in defence this season. If he's in the team round 1 he could be a real surprise packet.

Lachie Hansen - From what i saw of him, he looked slightly lost at times this season and copped some criticism from the commentators too. I'm not sure if he has found his niche yet but i think he has potential to be a great talent. The Roos are a fickle side (Could finish anywhere from 5th-16th next year i reckon) in my opinion, so i think its hard to select many of their players but Hansen has shown glimpses.

Raines - Alot of people will bypass him but i think he could be worth a look if he is indeed traded to Brisbane. I don't rate him (didn't pick him this year thank goodness) but he could still be OK. If he deos go to Brisbane and looks like getting games, i'd certainly feel less confident in Mgrath.

Malceski - Dirt cheap, but it remains to be seen whether he can successfully return from his knee injury. I don't like his chances to be honest but i reckon preseason will tell a big story.

Thoughts on the above players would be appreciated...

I can see your reasoning on the above. McGrath I will pass on even though it appeared he had a role change latter part of last year. I'm wary of that lasting given he has been in the system for quite a few years.

Birchall I agree is worth serious consideration as Hawks get players back allowing the Birch to play the rebounding role more freely and frequently.

Harbrow is in my planner team at the moment but I'm not sold yet. I'll be watching his pre season with interest.

Hill is in my team too and I agree that the old notion of second year blues seems to be outdated. I think the young fellas come in far better prepared than previously and they are often good prospects in their second year. I also have Suban who I think will improve.

Don't like Waters at this stage -- too much risk. Ladson maybe OK lots of love for him on the Hawks board and little more than a rookie. There are traditionally few rookie backs to consider so hew looks OK as a mid pricer to upgrade.

Myer I like. He was in my startig side last year until the last minute. Pre-season ultra important for me.

Everitt--depends where he ends up.

Bell, Hansen,Raines,Malceski no thanks.

Birchall could possibly step up and had been durable in the past. I wonder how many hawk defenders you can have. Hodge certainly has upset, Birchall could improve 10ppg, Ladson if fit and preseason is too cheap to pass on. Thats 3 hawk defenders is that too many from 1 team?

Depends how the hawks go. If you had 3 st kilda defenders this year you were golden (any 3 of goddard,fisher,gilbert,gram,geary) presented great value. Will the hawks be a top 4 team next year? Hodge and franklin with a pre season would help, shaun burgoyne in hawk colours would help.

Im going to find it seriously hard not to load up on Hawks players next year. Hodge, Ladson, Birchall, Young and Buddy all represent decent value - not too mention players possibly in line for a breakout season like Dowler and Renouf.

I guess it's because we all think Hawthorn will get back to the 08 form they had so hopefully those players can get back the form they had during that season(Mainly Hodge and Buddy).

I can see your reasoning on the above. McGrath I will pass on even though it appeared he had a role change latter part of last year. I'm wary of that lasting given he has been in the system for quite a few years.

Birchall I agree is worth serious consideration as Hawks get players back allowing the Birch to play the rebounding role more freely and frequently.

Harbrow is in my planner team at the moment but I'm not sold yet. I'll be watching his pre season with interest.

Hill is in my team too and I agree that the old notion of second year blues seems to be outdated. I think the young fellas come in far better prepared than previously and they are often good prospects in their second year. I also have Suban who I think will improve.

Don't like Waters at this stage -- too much risk. Ladson maybe OK lots of love for him on the Hawks board and little more than a rookie. There are traditionally few rookie backs to consider so hew looks OK as a mid pricer to upgrade.

Myer I like. He was in my startig side last year until the last minute. Pre-season ultra important for me.

Everitt--depends where he ends up.

Bell, Hansen,Raines,Malceski no thanks.

Thanks for adding your thoughts and I agree with everything you have said. In Bell, Raines, Hansen, Mgrath, Hill, Everitt i was just trying to add some unique players that i think are worth some consideration. All of them, apart from Raines (Iffy on Bell too...), I think have some potential as AFL players so just thought i'd throw them out there.

As for Malceski, i have big doubts about him returning to anything like his former self. I think he could almost be the Raines type player of this year to be honest, just a gut feel. He'll probably suck a few in with his price tag but his return from his dreadful knee injury has been atrocious and it doesn't give me any confidence whatsoever. He will need to have an absolute stellar pre-season to come into calculations for me and even then i reckon i'd pass in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back