DT Defenders 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really struggling to find any backs who average 80-90 that i am confident in at the moment. Hodge, Mackie, Kelly, Carrazzo etc are enticing but not really durable and only Enright and possibly Doughty stand out to me. It would be nice to get Gram and/or Hargrave but i can't free up the cash to do it, this is becoming real frustrating.

There will be some players that show their worth in the preseason and may be able to take the next step aka Gilbert.

Preseason reports suggesting a switch to midfield or a switch in role can be signs to an improvement.

It is also important to have some form of opinion as to which teams will occupy positions 1-6 on the ladder, players from these teams are normally high scoring. Look for a team with the ability to increase their win/loss ratio from the previous season. This alone can account for a 5+ppg increase in a players average.

A very good point Tarqs, if you can get those teams right. Richmond have been on the up for so long, will next year be their year?

For anyone that doesn't have the freako pre season reports,

the 2008 one is here
the 2009 one is here

Gilbert didn't really jump off the page to me (62,43,88)

There looks to be a heap of trading going down this offseason. It is important to see what will happen to them at the new club, it may also free up another player to increase their scoring potential.

So many factors that cannot be considered until after the trade and draft period.

As for teams looking to increase their total scores. Looking at the second half of the year and maybe potential injury issues from 2009.

Adelaide - They improved a heap in the second half of the year. If the perform to that level for 22 rounds, you could easily see a 2-5ppg increase in DT points, just from winning more games.

Hawks - They had a multitude of injuries and a terrible preseason. It would be hard to imagine them playing as bad as they did in 2009, surely there is some increase in their potential scoring.

As for Gilbert not jumping off the page, my MAJOR concern for Gilbert and Geary for that fact was their position in the Saints best 22. Hence I made the bad choice of selecting Raines, because I assumed when fit he would be in their best 22. Hindsight has shown that I was incorrect.

I did actually select Geary in SC over Raines, purely because SC was their competition that allowed me to select players I did not have the guts to select in DT.

(I'm loooking at you Chapman and Geary)

My SC rankings was a heap better than my DT ranking, so maybe that says something?

My SC rankings was a heap better than my DT ranking, so maybe that says something?

yeah, back yourself :) History tells me that when a player is traded they generally have a good year (new team, possibly new role, kick up the ass etc). Looking forward to see who ends up where. I am not so sure about the hawks. Have teams worked out how to beat the zone? is their backline able to stand up?

A teams backline is often linked to the midfield and forward pressure these days. If you told me at the start of 2009 that Dawson would be the FB for the best defence in the league, I would have laughed in your face. While Dawson has improved massively, I think the Saints total field pressure was amazing.

This is the best part of DT, people have different thoughts on improving sides. I attempt to stay away from premiums in the bottom 4 sides.

2009 has also thrown the DT community another curve ball with regards to the "resting" of players from the top teams.

Looking forward to DT 2010, but not really worried about specfic players at the moment.

Anyone who had gilbert from the start must of had rocks in their head IMO.

I had him down, and watched him very closely throughout the preseason, but he kept being experimented with as a Key Position forward. He'd had a ripper of a preseason putting on 8-9 kilograms from memory and had thus REALLY bulked up, and after his preseason i presumed it was to play that role. So, I think raines>Gilbert would of been the trade to make, but starting with him was a bit risky IMO.

However, i still took the punt in SuperCoach (like tarquin), but i took some others that werent so pretty (reilly for example).

A teams backline is often linked to the midfield and forward pressure these days. If you told me at the start of 2009 that Dawson would be the FB for the best defence in the league, I would have laughed in your face. While Dawson has improved massively, I think the Saints total field pressure was amazing.

This is the best part of DT, people have different thoughts on improving sides. I attempt to stay away from premiums in the bottom 4 sides.

2009 has also thrown the DT community another curve ball with regards to the "resting" of players from the top teams.

Looking forward to DT 2010, but not really worried about specfic players at the moment.

Spot on Tarqs. Backline scoring will come from midfield pressure as it creates turnovers. Saints, Dogs and Cats showed that this year.

Player management will be a big factor going forward, especially for teams playing dead rubbers late in the year. Thomson touched on that in his post GF press conference. Given that it's worked for the Cats this year and there players are all a year older and more battered next year expect more of the same and others to follow suit. 22 games may be the exception rather than the rule.

And possibly the resting of players in the bottom 2 to 4 sides. Not trying to start a tanking debate, but look at the Dees this year - many of their best players went out late in the season, could actually be from injury...but I'm not going to take the risk, learnt that with Grimes this year!

So would that mean investing in teams 4-10, or in trying to put together 8 solid backs, 7 solid mids and 8 solid forwards for rotational purposes?

Both options are fraught with danger!

Tough call Walesy. Improving sides who will have to fight to the death may be the way to go. Carlton this year as an example. Judd, Gibbs and Murphy all the way through whilst the Cats are giving players with niggles a couple of weeks off. Then again, who knows whether any teams next year will be 3 games clear of the pack next year. Maybe Bomber or Lyon won't have the luxury.

Tough call Walesy. Improving sides who will have to fight to the death may be the way to go. Carlton this year as an example. Judd, Gibbs and Murphy all the way through whilst the Cats are giving players with niggles a couple of weeks off. Then again, who knows whether any teams next year will be 3 games clear of the pack next year. Maybe Bomber or Lyon won't have the luxury.

But does that mean that the players that play every week are carrying niggles. Having a week or two off to get over niggles may mean that they score better when they come back? (assuming you have cover, isn't this better?)

Anyone who had gilbert from the start must of had rocks in their head IMO.

I had him down, and watched him very closely throughout the preseason, but he kept being experimented with as a Key Position forward. He'd had a ripper of a preseason putting on 8-9 kilograms from memory and had thus REALLY bulked up, and after his preseason i presumed it was to play that role. So, I think raines>Gilbert would of been the trade to make, but starting with him was a bit risky IMO.

Yeah, i was a little interested in Gilbert this preseason but that key forward role put me off. He showed glimpses as being a capable lead-up 3rd tall forward, something i think would really complete the Saints forward line, and i presumed he would play there from round one. I also predicted that geary would be in the team and in the back six so that would have made his move forward more likely.

In the end, i was very content with my back 7 to start the year but Gilbert really would have been the finishing touch. My starting back 7 was.......... Goddard, Hargrave, Cornes, Bock, Houlihan, Duffield, Geary so it would have been really nice to have Gilbert in there for Bock, but it was not to be. To be perfectly honest, like others have said, i wouldn't have had the guts to pick him but i congratulate anyone who did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, i was a little interested in Gilbert this preseason but that key forward role put me off. He showed glimpses as being a capable lead-up 3rd tall forward, something i think would really complete the Saints forward line, and i presumed he would play there from round one. I also predicted that geary would be in the team and in the back six so that would have made his move forward more likely.

In the end, i was very content with my back 7 to start the year but Gilbert really would have been the finishing touch. My starting back 7 was.......... Goddard, Hargrave, Cornes, Bock, Houlihan, Duffield, Geary so it would have been really nice to have Gilbert in there for Bock, but it was not to be. To be perfectly honest, like others have said, i wouldn't have had the guts to pick him but i congratulate anyone who did.

That would have been very nice, maybe if u had Gilbert and swapped Cornes for Lockyer that may have been the perfect back line. Just interested why u picked up Duffman, didn't show much in preseason to warrant getting a spot and in addition wasn't guaranteed a starting spot at the start.

But does that mean that the players that play every week are carrying niggles. Having a week or two off to get over niggles may mean that they score better when they come back? (assuming you have cover, isn't this better?)

You mean like all the niggles the Saints players had scoring ton after ton, or Chappy kicking 6 against Adelaide with a torn hammy then the NS with another hammy. Or Cooney averaging a ton for the back half of the year without missing then going out for a knee op. Or Cross racking up a ton in the PF with a busted ankle, Goddard 114 in the GF with a broken collarbone.

Players are always carrying niggles and can score well with or without them. Given the choice I'd rather my premiums on the paddock for 22 with niggles rather than 19 fully fit and hoping I can get a sub on the park to rack up 50 or cop a donut.

But each to their own.

That would have been very nice, maybe if u had Gilbert and swapped Cornes for Lockyer that may have been the perfect back line. Just interested why u picked up Duffman, didn't show much in preseason to warrant getting a spot and in addition wasn't guaranteed a starting spot at the start.

Duffield, i picked up mainly because of his end to 2008, he average something like 95 over the last 4 games and about 85 over the last six. I thought he might also be getting a run in the midfield with Fremantle losing Black, Carr, Carr, Bell, McManus from the year before (granted they were gaining quite a few Midfielders too). I was pretty sure that Duffield had been playing in the middle in the WAFL in 2008 so i was quite confident he'd at least spend some time in the middle. I also realised that the Dockers were in need of a rebounding defender so i thought if Duffield wasn't to get midfield time he would be relied upon quite heavily to create drive out of the back 50. A risky pick but one that paid off big time.

I havnt really thought about the backs too much, but im thinking about Chris Johnson from the blues, had a poor year and i see a potentially good dream teamer behind him. He struggled with injury a bit, unsure if sometimes he just wasnt considered best 22.

In the backs their is always a player around that 230k mark that gets under the guard of most and ive always tried to find them over the past 2 years. This year it was Gilbert and Duffield, the year before it was Pratt i think and someone else did well.

Its important to look closely at this spot as their is always a player that becomes a keeper around that price. Its usually your 5th or 6th back determined by your structure. I remember picking Goldsack 2 years ago. He did very poorly but he did have an okay first season and looked like a potential HBF dtmer. marks, tackles and can find the pill 15 -20 times. Unfortunatly it didnt work at but their will be a keeper in 09 that is priced around that 230-250k mark.

Gibson at Hawks - improve or decline?

Who at the Hawks struggles or improves with the addition of Gibson?

Question's that will need to be answered before round one.

Personally, I think Gibson can do similar to Hodge's 2008 role, loose in defence. It might allow Hodge to move back to a full time mid. Only problem is the health of the other Hawks defenders might force Gibson to be a KPD.

I think, and this is just from memory, that the reason gibson had a nice finish to the year (in terms of DT scoring - averaged 81 over last 10, with just two scores under 70 in that time) was that he was being given roles/jobs that allowed him to push up into the midfield at times.

EDIT:

Going through fanfooty now it says over the last 10 rounds he had jobs on:

- Goddard
- Embley
- Gibbs (and judd)
- Jonathan Brown (plays up the ground a bit)
- Deledio

That is over the last 7 rounds.

Interesting yes, but i dont think he will be playing this role at hawthorn - the hawks have had a back 6 that has been very unsettled over the last 12 months, and I think Gibson is the man to provide some stability.

Good prospect, but its all about role.

I think, and this is just from memory, that the reason gibson had a nice finish to the year (in terms of DT scoring - averaged 81 over last 10, with just two scores under 70 in that time) was that he was being given roles/jobs that allowed him to push up into the midfield at times.

You are just copying me :) I said that earlier.

EDIT:

Going through fanfooty now it says over the last 10 rounds he had jobs on:

- Goddard
- Embley
- Gibbs (and judd)
- Jonathan Brown (plays up the ground a bit)
- Deledio

That is over the last 7 rounds.

Interesting yes, but i dont think he will be playing this role at hawthorn - the hawks have had a back 6 that has been very unsettled over the last 12 months, and I think Gibson is the man to provide some stability.

Good prospect, but its all about role.

Chris Pelchen was inteviewed on SEN this morning, and said Gibson was recruited to play in the back six, either as a KPD or as a rebounding defender, depending on match-ups.

Guys what are your thoughts on Carazzo? can he get back to his 08 average. Also what about Buckley from Melbourne, why did he only play one game this year, would he be a good pick up if he could get back in the side?

Also, if Marcus Drum finds his way to Geelong he could be one to look at. He should get a 20% discount and fanplanner has him priced at 221,000.

Carazzo no longer has much midfield time with, Murphy, Judd, Mclean, Gibbs, Simpson, Stevens, Hadley ect all ahead of him. Hes on of those players that can be used anywhere in need where the other players listed are more genuine midfielders.

Drum, would be an awful choise. He is simply depth for Geelong and backup for a backmen. He sits well behind anyone at geelong. (Egan, Scarlett, Taylor, Milburn) all capable of playing as tall backs not to mention Harley who im unsure if he has retired yet, with Mackie very capable of playing tall.

Mooney and Hawkins are their 2 key forwards.

Im unsure why Geelong would try and pick up players when they have salary cap issues. They would need to delist a few players and have Harley retire. They will be looking for draft picks or keeping their same list.

Carazzo no longer has much midfield time with, Murphy, Judd, Mclean, Gibbs, Simpson, Stevens, Hadley ect all ahead of him. Hes on of those players that can be used anywhere in need where the other players listed are more genuine midfielders.

Drum, would be an awful choise. He is simply depth for Geelong and backup for a backmen. He sits well behind anyone at geelong. (Egan, Scarlett, Taylor, Milburn) all capable of playing as tall backs not to mention Harley who im unsure if he has retired yet, with Mackie very capable of playing tall.

Mooney and Hawkins are their 2 key forwards.

Im unsure why Geelong would try and pick up players when they have salary cap issues. They would need to delist a few players and have Harley retire. They will be looking for draft picks or keeping their same list.

Egan will be officially de-listed at the end of the month to make room for the Cats to draft another player, but will continue his rehabilitation from a foot injury and hopes to be re-drafted for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back