DT Forwards 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on Danny Stanley as a forward? Too expensive? Better options?

or Winderlich? Have never considered him, but at $240k and a DPP is he worth picking as a forward to potentially make cash and then trading for a better mid?

I was under the impression that winderlich's role with Hird was as a defensive fwd.

Won't hunt the ball too much - i'd avoid.

I reckon around the price of Stanley that Gray is a much better choice.

Anyone keen on Banfield? Certain best 22, had to play a small fwd pocket role all last year so price is discounted and with Zorko in, Todd will play in the middle all year. Good foot skills, has pace and keen goal sense.
Should also avoid the green vest and no probs during preseason so far?

Surely ticks plenty of boxes and better pick than a Porps or Winders? (who Im not keen on)

Anyone keen on Banfield? Certain best 22, had to play a small fwd pocket role all last year so price is discounted and with Zorko in, Todd will play in the middle all year. Good foot skills, has pace and keen goal sense.
Should also avoid the green vest and no probs during preseason so far?

Surely ticks plenty of boxes and better pick than a Porps or Winders? (who Im not keen on)

Price range and inconsistency just doesn't sit well for me.

If someone like Waite was a little cheaper as well I may have thought about him, but he's high 300's, been promising for a while.

Out of all the positions i think i have the least confidence in my forward line options. The way I see them atm is:

Fairly safe choices:
Franklin, Stevie J, Goodes

Premiums from previous years that i have doubts on this year:
Chapman, Pavlich, Okeefe, Sylvia, NRoo

Potential premiums:
Beams, Zaharakis, Martin, Sidebottom, Lewis, Kennedy, Robinson, Gray

Injury prone with potential to score:
Rioli, Lecras, Roughead, Higgins

add into that Fyfe (injury concerns being the only reason for him not being a safe bet) and Cloke (for some reason i don't have confidence picking him until later on in the season) and there should be a heap of difference variations in peoples forward line this year. It's good but man it makes settling on a forward combination tough. Be very interesting to see how many of those potential premiums come through this year.

I'm with you Butler

SJ and Franklin are just locked away from me, i don't care what anyone says they are in.

I want to have Goodes as he has an easy start to the year, so that should help with his usual slow starts, then he normally gets going in 2nd half of season and can't be stopped. He is 32 this year BUT, it is Goodes.

N Roo from what i heard started training well ahead of all others, i like his price and i think Saints have still got enough talent to deliver him good service, he's certainly up there.

Those mid/fwd in Robinson, Martin, Lewis, Beams, Sidebottom - just not sure. At the moment i've only got Robinson as he produced some good numbers and Carlton will continue to improve. From all reports, training very well.

Gray i'm thinking will be my gamble, i liked his move to the mids, got him some good points, he's been showing signs for a while now and i think this year 90-100ppg beckons.

I'm probably going to avoid all those injury prone guys you mentioned, Le Cras might come into consideration if he's outstanding in NAB.

But i agree with what you say, it's hard to be confident wherever you look, certainly be a good mix up forward.

SJ and Franklin are just locked away from me, i don't care what anyone says they are in.

Out of interest, how do you expect Franklin to score through the first 5 rounds?

Excl Hawks, the hardest teams to score against last year were:

Cats, Blues, Freo, Kangas, WC, Pies, Sydney

Hawks start the year with:

Pies, Cats, Crows, WC, Sydney (then Freo Rd 8 and Nth Rd 10)

What are peoples thoughts on Tory Dickson from the bulldogs and whether he is likely to be given a decent amount of games this season? He certainly on my NAB Cup watch list.

After reading an article on Porplyzia's super preseason and Adelaide's new training regime to reduce the number of Shoulder injuries, I'm starting to get very tempted to bring the Porpoise in my team.

I'm thinking of downgrading one of Sidebottom or Martin. I think Martin is the better player and more likely to have higher scores, but Richmond's start to the season says to me Martin is the perfect upgrade after the bye.

Thoughts?

What are peoples thoughts on Tory Dickson from the bulldogs and whether he is likely to be given a decent amount of games this season? He certainly on my NAB Cup watch list.

I've got Tory in my team at the moment. Mature agers are very tempting these days. We'll just have to see What the Bulldogs coaching staff want to do with him. Should score well, but job security is not known.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. Based on his averages against these teams last last year Buddy would start with

Pies: 56
Cats: 85
Crows: 72

Molly on the coaches box also talked possibly leaving Franklin out due to Hawthorn's start to the season.

Could be a winning move, or it could make you look really stupid. I'm thinking about it.

I'm torn on Buddy. Those numbers say he will start slow, but not having him could be DT suicide.

Whose to say he doesn't repeat his PF heroics in Rd 1?

Fair enough. Based on his averages against these teams last last year Buddy would start with

Pies: 56
Cats: 85
Crows: 72

I also picked him because he is simply the best option for the whole year but those stats make me consider him as an early upgrade. The problem is, how early will he fire?

If i was looking to go with the idea of Franklin being an early upgrade then i am probably forced to go with Stevie J. Goodes has a good draw but he is a slow starter so can usually be picked up cheaper later on in the season.

Also considering downgrading one of my potential premiums to Porps. Just seems safer to go the cash cow over a possible premium. Will also free up a fair bit of cash to throw around so i will put this one out there:

Riewoldt or Martin to Stevie J (Assuming I keep Franklin)

or

Keep Martin and Riewoldt and the extra $$.

I have looked into this a fair bit but will be interesting to see other peoples opinions on it.

Yes I understand all the Buddy talk, but if you're basing not picking him purely on his fixture, I think you're only looking at half the story.

Hawthorn will be 1/2 this year, they have super skills so delivery will be great. Roughead back in the team can only help him, even early on just to take a defender. if things aren't going well Buddy often pushes right up to fetch his own ball.

I would love to see others not take him, I predict it'll give me a nice early advantage :)

Yes I understand all the Buddy talk, but if you're basing not picking him purely on his fixture, I think you're only looking at half the story.

Hawthorn will be 1/2 this year, they have super skills so delivery will be great. Roughead back in the team can only help him, even early on just to take a defender. if things aren't going well Buddy often pushes right up to fetch his own ball.

I would love to see others not take him, I predict it'll give me a nice early advantage :)

No question he'll be top 7 by years end, just a matter of whether he can be picked up 80K cheaper 7 rounds in.

It really depends whether the coin saved improves your scoring enough elsewhere. If it turns ST into Pendles etc.

Not saying Buddy's a bad option, just saying he may not be the lock most people think to start the year

No question he'll be top 7 by years end, just a matter of whether he can be picked up 80K cheaper 7 rounds in.

It really depends whether the coin saved improves your scoring enough elsewhere. If it turns ST into Pendles etc.

Not saying Buddy's a bad option, just saying he may not be the lock most people think to start the year

The forwards are interesting this year. Lots to consider with very few standout premiums but plenty of sub premiums and a few mid-pricers that have piqued our interest.

The early games for the Hawks are tougher and Buddy will inevitably drop in value given the surge of funds into the GWS underlings.

If you go the two premium rucks setup and are struggling with moolah then foregoing a couple of standout premiums in your forward starting lineup might be required.

With Martin, Sidebottom, LeCras, et al. showing signs of some decent upside and verging on keeper territory, bringing in Buddy at a later stage seems a perfectly valid strategy.

I've got Tory in my team at the moment. Mature agers are very tempting these days. We'll just have to see What the Bulldogs coaching staff want to do with him. Should score well, but job security is not known.
j/s wont be his issue thats for sure the only thing keeping him out will be his fitness but now that he is a fulltime footballer that shouldnt be a problem only downside i see in him is he is a good sub option not 100% sure on the bulldogs other sub option so maybe it wont be a problem

Im not even considering Buddy. Last year suggest he struggles against top teams and he has a few in the first 5 rounds. They only way it can hurt by not starting him is if he avgs 115 over the first 5 rounds, which i cannot see happening.

Im not sure how Roughead is going and whether he will be right for round 1. Im doubtful and think they will ease him in, but i havnt followed their pre season. Roughead out of the side last year caused Buddy to have his best DT year so that suggest that Roughead in makes him score worse, hes not the one and only target.

Even if Buddy scores 5x 105 over the first 5 rounds he decreases in price. To many other good midfield options who carry DP. The only problem for me is im not starting Goodes, Fyfe, SJ, Chappy or Buddy but picking 4 definite premiums maybe 6 if my midpricers come good. Will i need to upgrade to the very top end? something im worried about because i will be looking to bring Buddy and one other top end in, i hope i have enough scoring power come end of season.

j/s wont be his issue thats for sure the only thing keeping him out will be his fitness but now that he is a fulltime footballer that shouldnt be a problem only downside i see in him is he is a good sub option not 100% sure on the bulldogs other sub option so maybe it wont be a problem

I havnt seen Tory in many best 21 WBD teams. For me hes a replacement for Higgins when he is injured which is quite often. I still think Grant is a good player even though he has a poor 2011. Also the loss of Hill forward meant they needed more depth. Dickson mainly played FF for bendigo bombers, he wont be able to do that at AFL level at 184 but ive heard his likely position at AFL level is a half forward flank type.

Second-year player Jamie Cripps impressed many in last year's pre-season and played a handful of games before injury brought a premature end to his year. But he has once again been sizzling on the track and looks set to make a bigger impact this season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128382/default.aspx

Does anyone know if he is going to be a valid option for the fwds?

Second-year player Jamie Cripps impressed many in last year's pre-season and played a handful of games before injury brought a premature end to his year. But he has once again been sizzling on the track and looks set to make a bigger impact this season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128382/default.aspx

Does anyone know if he is going to be a valid option for the fwds?

Ironically he may well find himself a spot in the back line, which would be dream team gold IMO.
With Stephen Baker retired, and James Gwilt injured, StKilda's backline will have:
Fisher and Gilbert, then a selection of :
Peake, Simpkin, Wilkes, Gram, Gilbert, Clarke, Geary, Cripps, and maybe Ross.
It depends on what kind of player Watters wants, and how they go in the NAB, but its not an impossible ask for him to get games ahead of some of those guys. If he ends up in the midfield rotation, he may be more likely to be a sub on occasion.

Played backline/midfield as a junior but was considered more a defensive type of player ie: could shut down players. Got given the job on Scully as an underage player in the state 18 carnival. I think its easily his best position, no room in the forward line with Milne, Schneider very capable small forwards than Saad and Miliera mature aged types that bring talent and everything you want from a small forward.

How much is cripps? the new coach will also do him wonders

Remove this Banner Ad

DT Forwards 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back