DT Forwards 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Played backline/midfield as a junior but was considered more a defensive type of player ie: could shut down players. Got given the job on Scully as an underage player in the state 18 carnival. I think its easily his best position, no room in the forward line with Milne, Schneider very capable small forwards than Saad and Miliera mature aged types that bring talent and everything you want from a small forward.

How much is cripps? the new coach will also do him wonders

$174K so a bit dearer than a rookie.
He only played a quarter of a game on any give match last year and averaged 6.5 disposals and nearly 2 goals a game ( 35dt points ). Saints supporters were calling him the supersub, because he came in and really made his presence felt ( so no shutdown role ).

Tom Ledger also averaged 33 after 2 games as sub ( his price only 113).

It all depends which of these guys looks like landing a permanant role.
The midfield rotation is very prone to being sub.

$174K so a bit dearer than a rookie.
He only played a quarter of a game on any give match last year and averaged 6.5 disposals and nearly 2 goals a game ( 35dt points ). Saints supporters were calling him the supersub, because he came in and really made his presence felt ( so no shutdown role ).

Tom Ledger also averaged 33 after 2 games as sub ( his price only 113).

It all depends which of these guys looks like landing a permanant role.
The midfield rotation is very prone to being sub.

Yeah im not a ledger fan. The saints havnt lost anyone really apart from Dawson. Sure Baker and Gardiner retired and another 2 hacks but they wernt exactly playing every week.

You guys picked up 2 mature agers and i think Watters like any new coach taking over a top team wants to try and win a flag purely on ego. Voss tried, Buckley will, Watters will, Scott did so he will play the old players if they are his best players.

Yeah im not a ledger fan. The saints havnt lost anyone really apart from Dawson. Sure Baker and Gardiner retired and another 2 hacks but they wernt exactly playing every week.

You guys picked up 2 mature agers and i think Watters like any new coach taking over a top team wants to try and win a flag purely on ego. Voss tried, Buckley will, Watters will, Scott did so he will play the old players if they are his best players.

Baker usually played when available, , while its true McQualter played only a handful in 2011. Lenny Hayes will be back in, probably at the expense of Polo.
Lyon often played a defender off the bench, where I sort of think Watters may play and extra midfielder, so there isn't huge scope for a Rookie at StKilda. It could mean that those who look promising are in and out of the team if they dont make a massive statement when they are in.
I still think Cripps has a reasonable chance of playing in the backline or midfield despite being a DT forward.

I've seen a lot of debate whether to pick Robinson or Martin as a sub-premium, but Lewis has not been considered much (he has the same bye as the other two). He is pretty much the same price as the other 2, was one of hawthorns best players in finals, and finished playing in the heart of their midfield in 2011. Would be good to create some discussion on him.

Sidebottom vs Robinson is one i also wouldnt mind discussing. For me basically i dont have Sidebottom in the team at the moment because im expecting a midprice option from the R12 bye to become a keeper/premium along with Zaharakis who is a lock for me. I also agree with someone else he was been playing a defensive half forward role on occasions last year, its hard to say what he will this year and what his role will be under Buckley. He may be a better fit for my side in regards to forward premiums having byes.

Hes the best runner/fittest at the club. An article said he had again put on alot more size so his body is ready for midfield time and that he was expecting alot more time in the midfield. Im not sure i am decreasing his potential because he is purely listed as a forward instead of a midfielder on DT which isnt going to affect his scoring. Last year alone i thought he could avg 100, he ended up with 86 and that was probably due to him playing a few negative roles.

Think i have just talked myself into picking him instead of Robinson.

I've seen a lot of debate whether to pick Robinson or Martin as a sub-premium, but Lewis has not been considered much (he has the same bye as the other two). He is pretty much the same price as the other 2, was one of hawthorns best players in finals, and finished playing in the heart of their midfield in 2011. Would be good to create some discussion on him.

He did look good in the finals, but there are so many forwards you'd most likely choose ahead of him that share his bye. I could see him scoring well in those two first big games.

Sidebottom vs Robinson is one i also wouldnt mind discussing. For me basically i dont have Sidebottom in the team at the moment because im expecting a midprice option from the R12 bye to become a keeper/premium along with Zaharakis who is a lock for me. I also agree with someone else he was been playing a defensive half forward role on occasions last year, its hard to say what he will this year and what his role will be under Buckley. He may be a better fit for my side in regards to forward premiums having byes.

Hes the best runner/fittest at the club. An article said he had again put on alot more size so his body is ready for midfield time and that he was expecting alot more time in the midfield. Im not sure i am decreasing his potential because he is purely listed as a forward instead of a midfielder on DT which isnt going to affect his scoring. Last year alone i thought he could avg 100, he ended up with 86 and that was probably due to him playing a few negative roles.

Think i have just talked myself into picking him instead of Robinson.

Picking the right options out of Robinson, Sidebottom and Zaharakis could give you a big leg up this year. It's very possible that any of the three could up their scoring much in the way Redden and Rockliff did for the Lions last year. All come with question marks though.

Robinson - probably the best scorer atm of the three and most settled in a scoring role. His style makes him a significant suspension and injury risk though. If he could tone back his kamikaze style it would be much better for DT coaches.

Sidebottom - only so much room in that Collingwood midfield. Competing with Beams and Didak for time and all three have good claims. New coach also and already indications he is playing with the game style. Some talk of him being used as a link man coming out of defense which is a great scoring role but things can change quickly.

Zaharakis - scoring could potentially suffer because he is a pretty servicable forward and they could keep him on the field but run others through the midfield. There is talk of Heppell getting more midfield time, Prismall, Winderlich and Dempsey are returning from injury and will play at least some time through the midfield, Kavanagh is being talked up and should get games through the midfield at some stage and Melksham has been one of the standouts of the preseason.

It's a bit of a coin toss which way you jump at the moment. The NAB might well clarify things slightly but I am going to be nervous whichever way I go.

Sidebottom - only so much room in that Collingwood midfield. Competing with Beams and Didak for time and all three have good claims. New coach also and already indications he is playing with the game style. Some talk of him being used as a link man coming out of defense which is a great scoring role but things can change quickly.

Not sure how much you credit this source but - Buckley said in an interview with Warnie on DT Talk, that Beams will play more forward as he is quote- "more of a sharp shooter" and sidebottom quote- "will get a bit more around the ground". Sounds good for sidey, and coming from the coach is a good scoop.

Also Quigley, Can you add your comments on Lewis? Same price, same bye and is DPP as well.

A month for Didak still makes him available for round 1. It probably solidifies early midfield time for Beams and Sidey but you would buy both as keepers so it still leaves the side balance up in the air a bit.

Lewis - round 13 bye helps him a bit but he is still competing with the likes of Martin, Robinson, Franklin for 2 spots max in the starting line-up. Personally I think he has found his level and what he showed last year is probably what you can expect this year. He has been pretty consistent in his scoring the last few years. With that said he did average 110 per game in the last 6 and a lot of people will be buying him hoping he can do something similar over the course of a full season. I think he lacks a little class and the Hawks would wanting Cyril in the clinches more this year if he is fit. Shiels I also like in the middle more than Lewis along with Mitchell and a fully fit Hodge. Fast guys like Smith on the outside. Lewis lacks hurt factor. With all that negativity he is rock solid in the 22 and I reckon there is limited downside with him scoring wise. He is pretty durable which helps. If I am taking risks elsewhere in my forward line I don't have any trouble puting him in as a set and forget type of building block provided however he is not getting tagging roles which is something to keep an eye out for in the preseason.

Not sure how much you credit this source but - Buckley said in an interview with Warnie on DT Talk, that Beams will play more forward as he is quote- "more of a sharp shooter" and sidebottom quote- "will get a bit more around the ground". Sounds good for sidey, and coming from the coach is a good scoop.

And now with Didak missing the nab cup and going into the season after missing a chunk of the pre-sesason things are looking even better for Sidebottom.

ALewis - round 13 bye helps him a bit but he is still competing with the likes of Martin, Robinson, Franklin for 2 spots max in the starting line-up. Personally I think he has found his level and what he showed last year is probably what you can expect this year. He has been pretty consistent in his scoring the last few years. With that said he did average 110 per game in the last 6 and a lot of people will be buying him hoping he can do something similar over the course of a full season. I think he lacks a little class and the Hawks would wanting Cyril in the clinches more this year if he is fit. Shiels I also like in the middle more than Lewis along with Mitchell and a fully fit Hodge. Fast guys like Smith on the outside. Lewis lacks hurt factor. With all that negativity he is rock solid in the 22 and I reckon there is limited downside with him scoring wise. He is pretty durable which helps. If I am taking risks elsewhere in my forward line I don't have any trouble puting him in as a set and forget type of building block provided however he is not getting tagging roles which is something to keep an eye out for in the preseason.

Lewis is tempting but he's just too much of a DT yo-yo. Scores of 51, 37, 47 and 42 hurt and I don't believe he was injured in any of those games - just playing a role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fasolo and Wellingham are still two guys who could steal a lot of time through the middle that we might like to see go to the guys we pick. Fasolo has been having a pretty big offseason.

Boy do those Collingwood fans rate Fasolo, trying not to get sucked in to the propaganda, hard to ignore.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128681/default.aspx

Interesting.....looks like Pav is in good condition and it mentions he will spend more time in the forward line this year, which is where he scores his best DT wise. Could be a good choice this year given Freo are improving as a side, especially their midfield, so Pav should expect great service. Big question is can a 30 year old keep his body fit and firing the whole season?

Could be worth the gamble IMO.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128681/default.aspx

Interesting.....looks like Pav is in good condition and it mentions he will spend more time in the forward line this year, which is where he scores his best DT wise. Could be a good choice this year given Freo are improving as a side, especially their midfield, so Pav should expect great service. Big question is can a 30 year old keep his body fit and firing the whole season?

Could be worth the gamble IMO.

Yeah, he'll be a good pick up, but i think my only 30+ bloke will be Goodes, he's far more durable and with his good fixture early and much talked about finishes to season's i can't fault him.

Yeah, he'll be a good pick up, but i think my only 30+ bloke will be Goodes, he's far more durable and with his good fixture early and much talked about finishes to season's i can't fault him.

Yeah would be risky to have both Goodes and Pavlich in the same side. However IMO, i see Pav being the better pick. I mean, he is obviously very fit and having spent a year in the midfield, should be more mobile/have more indurance down in the forward line. Plus we all know Pav's ability to score when he is down there. I recon Pav is a good choice, but then again, can his body stay injury free and healthy for the whole year?

So for me i dont think Pav will go that great if he is earmarked for a permanent forward role. However i also find it very difficult to understand he will only play forward as has been said. In career best shape/fitness and undersized for a key forward, you going to lock him down as a forward? i dont think so and with Morabito, Fyfe, Mundy all major parts of the fremantle midfield having missed major parts of preseason, early i still think Pav will be required in the guts whether fremantle like it or not. He may play a Buddy role? He may play a CHF/HFF switching onball role with someone like Fyfe.

EDIT: Just lost a shitload of my post, due to going into auto lockout, needs to be changed.

Basically reassured my thoughts on him even more, that being "Dont touch". Knee and Groin problems now? with all those hammy problems. Hes 30, had minor/major surgery on both on the off season. Would have got a delayed start and missed a fair chunk especially considering Geelong would have started PS later.

Hes almost guaranteed to break down and you cant afford that, especially through rounds 11-13. Interesting that Geelong played him in so many games last year than, considering they lead the way in regards to sport science and resting players.

Why did he play against GC in round 10? why did he play against them at metricon in R20? When Geelong lead the way for resting players? Brisbane R17? Richmond R18? Did Scott and the medcos not know? i find that hard to believe

Agree it shows he's vulnerable, but wow - to avg 100 and have another great season with those problems.

He doesn't seem the bloke to talk up injuries etc.

Maybe it was just one of those things that a rest here and there or for a couple of weeks wasn't going to help him so they just played him full of drugs/injections.

That's true, but Pav's professional approach (wanting to set an example) on and off the field seems to have held him in good stead.

I'm picking him with confidence, although I have Goodes too!

Hopefully he plays in the intra-club match on Friday, give a good indication of how he'll play and how he's going.

Remove this Banner Ad

DT Forwards 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back