DT Preseason Form Guide 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's hot.

Chris Tarrant: hasn't put a foot out of place since being back. Completed extra sessions.

Brad Dick: 3rd in the time trial, has put in a huge effort in the preseason. He will play 22 games injury only worry.

Steele Sidebottom: Has continued where he left off in 2010, winning the time trial easily.

Rofl. Taking the mickey surely?
haha sorry fellas poorly structured sentence. I meant a breakout in terms of DT. He's a superstar but not at all a DT one. Interested in seeing what happens with him this season, I reckon he's got a good chance to crack it and become a 105+ type player. Dogs will be around the 4 again I suspect, 25 year old rule (yes I made it up but looking at many stats it is relevant in many players) and I believe he had a poor preseason last year?:confused:

Richmond assistant coaches Brendon Lade and Danny Daly provide a candid critique of the Tigers' playing list.

JACK RIEWOLDT

Jack had a pretty good season last year with our best and fairest, the Coleman and a trip to Ireland. Is in rehab right now after his finger injury, and is driving everyone nuts about getting back to the main group. Next year Jack is going to be really focused on by the opposition, so he's got to become a little more team-oriented and has to work on his defensive side as well. But if we get anything like last year, we'll all be pretty happy.

TRENT COTCHIN

It's the first pre-season he's done in his life — he's flying on the track and we've had to hold him back a little. This is his fourth year now, and it's the year for him to step up and become an elite AFL player. Tremendous leader around the club.

BRETT DELEDIO

He's put on a bit of size and he's absolutely flying on the track. He and Cotch are probably the two standouts. He had a breakout year across half-back, and is looking to play there again, with bursts in the midfield. We're expecting big things in 2011.

SHANE EDWARDS

"Titch" had an outstanding year, and came sixth in the best and fairest. He had a shoulder reconstruction over the pre-season so he hasn't been doing any competitive stuff. Will play more inside this year. Has the potential to be an A-grader.

MITCHELL FARMER

Mitch has been in the rehab group after a knee operation. Looking at moving him forward this year after a good year at half-back last year. He could be another Jake King for us.

ANGUS GRAHAM

Big Goose had a cleanout in his ankle after the season, but he's back running really well now. He's lost about five kilograms.

SHAUN GRIGG

Can play both outside and inside. He has great endurance and is a good kick. He broke his leg late last season so has been in the rehab group, but joined the main group this week and has been training the house down.

BACHAR HOULI

He was one of our off-season targets. Very good kick of the footy, and will play high-forward/outside-mid for us. Hard trainer, and showed some good leadership skills on the NZ trip.

DANIEL JACKSON

Has been injured for the whole pre-season. His leadership in the midfield is great. Simply can't afford to get suspended next year like he did this year.

JAKE KING

Jake had a terrific second half of the year and finished ninth in the best and fairest. He kicked 12 goals in the last five of six games, and gave away a handful as well. He was a real key towards the end. Had a few operations — groins, hands, fingers, nose. We see him playing a big part as a pressure forward next year.

DUSTIN MARTIN

He came back a little bit behind, because it was his first time, but he caught that up in about two weeks. You put him into some contested training, and he's as good as anyone I've ever seen — not bad for a 19-year-old. We're really working on his defensive skills now.

LUKE McGUANE

Has put on five or six kilograms. He's loving it, walking around the gym and showing off the lats.

MITCH MORTON

Towards the end of the season he played some really good footy for us as an outside mid. We're looking for that again, as well as him going forward.

ROBIN NAHAS

Has come back in good nick, and has been one of the best on the track offensively so far. Needs to get his defensive game together.

BEN NASON

Has had a few medical interruptions to his pre-season, including a groin injury, but he should be back after Christmas. He had a terrific season, playing 19 games after being picked at 71, so the big test is backing up from that, working on winning his own ball and his body work.

TROY TAYLOR

Last year was pretty unsettled off-field, but his brother and sister are moving to Melbourne so we're hoping that will be a good thing for him. He's got some raw talent.

WILL THURSFIELD

Asked for a trade, which didn't eventuate. The slate is clean, and Will knows what he has to do. He needs to put on some upper-body weight and work on the offensive side of his game. He's a good kick and decision-maker, but he needs to get into positions to win the ball rather than just negating all the time. Impressive so far.

TYRONE VICKERY

It's his third year coming up, but he's a lot bigger than last year. Another who is affected by the new interchange rules, so he'll play more forward with little spurts in the ruck.

'MITCH MORTON

Towards the end of the season he played some really good footy for us as an outside mid. We're looking for that again,'

p48-9-jackpot.jpg

TRENT COTCHIN

It's the first pre-season he's done in his life — he's flying on the track and we've had to hold him back a little. This is his fourth year now, and it's the year for him to step up and become an elite AFL player. Tremendous leader around the club.

This really excites me. Cotchin could easily explode this year. 4th year in the system. Finally some continuity in his training. You have seen what he can do under duress, just imagine what he can do with a full preseason, experience in a rising Richmond team.

Cotchin really strikes me as an Adam Cooney type. Will be a stellar player, and do some fantastic things in his career to become a real A-Grade IMO, but I am not sure if that will eventuate into good DT scores. 2-3 years ago he would have been a prime candidate (particularly for someone like SkankDanker) to be a breakout player up into the 90s, but the issue is that these days 90-95 isnt competitive in your midfield.

Cotchin really strikes me as an Adam Cooney type. Will be a stellar player, and do some fantastic things in his career to become a real A-Grade IMO, but I am not sure if that will eventuate into good DT scores. 2-3 years ago he would have been a prime candidate (particularly for someone like SkankDanker) to be a breakout player up into the 90s, but the issue is that these days 90-95 isnt competitive in your midfield.

It is a fair point, but even then if he does break out to average 90, then that is still a 25 ppg increase and will generate decent cash to upgrade to a premium later in the season.

I think cotchin has all the tools and Richmond players will give him the ball at every opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a fair point, but even then if he does break out to average 90, then that is still a 25 ppg increase and will generate decent cash to upgrade to a premium later in the season.

I think cotchin has all the tools and Richmond players will give him the ball at every opportunity.

Is there sort of an unwritten rule where if you think a player is going to improve by 15 points than pick them. If you get 22 players improving by 15 than youll almost win like that.

Is there sort of an unwritten rule where if you think a player is going to improve by 15 points than pick them. If you get 22 players improving by 15 than youll almost win like that.

Problem with that is a finite number of trades. If every player improves by 15 ppg but you still have nobody averaging over 90 you need to upgrade almost the whole team.

Hence the need to pick some proven premiums who won't increase that much but will give you the points you need without using a trade.

Info from Geelong re pre season:
(shall focus on rookies because everyone knows who our premiums to buy are, Selwood, Bartel, Chapman Enright Kelly etc)

Stephen Motlop is tearing it up on the track. Has put on the kgs and built up his shoulders which he needed to after his second shoulder reco in 2 years. Keep in mind the kid broke into the seniors in round 2 on form, so he's got some super talent, and is very highly rated, and provides the thing we lack-pace. Expect him to push Stokes out of the side, but durability is a concern. High risk, high upside.

Josh Cowan-Chris Scott was quoted as saying he's been impressed by the second year midfielder (along with Motlop and Christensen) and after a good end to his VFL season, is coming along nicely. I still reckon he's raw in terms of the body and won't play many senior games this year though.

Allen Christensen has been another to impress, got his skinfolds down (was the highest skinfolds at DC last year which is why he was drafted so low) and is in really good shape. Another who could press for selection in that high HF/mid role.

Taylor Hunt's really bulked up and is in super shape, and played some great senior games in 2010. Expect him to be a regular in the side but will probably be priced too highly for my liking.

Dan Menzel is tearing it up, which is good news when you keep in mind he had no pre season due to OP last year, and still broke in for 3 impressive games at the end of the season, so on the back of a good 3 months, expect him to dominate. If price is reasonable, he will be very tempting for me. The only downside is he's the only player we have, other than Mackie, who can play across all three lines, so he may see a lot of sub duty.

Mitch Duncan-fantastic year last year, interrupted start to pre season due to minor hip surgery but now back in full training. Has such a big body for one so young, and definitely likely to play a lot this year. If he keeps DP I will strongly consider.

Simon Hogan has overcome the back injury that wrecked his last pre season, and as a result has put on a lot of muscle this time around, and more importantly is the bloke to benefit most from Ablett's departure. The downside is that with Ling on the slide, and Hogan being one of our best endurance runners, expect him to take over as chief tagger (as Ling goes forward) so I'll be staying away, but he's worth considering.

Trent West-probably one everybody thinks 'what the heck' but is going really well in his 6th pre season, and will benefit massively from the sub rule. Other than Vardy, who's only a 2nd year, we don't have anyone who can play that forward/ruck role, and he can really mark them forward (see round 14 this year) so expect him to vault ahead of Blake and play a lot of senior games.

Marcus Drum-the former Fremantle defender only played 3 games due to a series of injuries including detached retina, achilles and ankle, but we don't trade players in for VFL, so expect him to play if fit, and will come at rookie price due to his 2010. Is going to play the Milburn type role, so will score well. I can't take the risk due to his durability but it may be worth it for those who do.

Feel free to use/merge/whatever.

Problem with that is a finite number of trades. If every player improves by 15 ppg but you still have nobody averaging over 90 you need to upgrade almost the whole team.

Hence the need to pick some proven premiums who won't increase that much but will give you the points you need without using a trade.

If you have your whole team averaging 90 then you are looking at 2070 per week.

This assumes you select all mid pricers who improve their average from 75 to 90. Whilst this is nigh on impossible, hypothetically, it would be a very rewarding strategy if you got lucky.

You would select mostly mid pricers and a set number of premiums and rookies (rookies ave shortage will be offset by premium ave surplus over 90)

This should leave you a decent amount of cash in the bank. Some of these midpricers could effectively become keepers, thus conserving trades. Rookies can be cashed in to upgrade to select premiums.

Unless you have a crystal ball, this strategy is hard to perfect. It is like Lakey91's thread on winning the comp using no trades. You need a lot of luck selecting the midpricers that explode and to have all of them in your team is unlikely.

It is like your thread on winning the comp using no trades 54dogs. You need a lot of luck selecting the midpricers that explode and to have all of them in your team is unlikely.

P-LEASE! 54Dogs isnt up to this! It was the other Nowra civillian (who he idolises, despite having many more years under his belt) that put this together!

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627387

Ill put together the 2010 version over the next couple of days.

Let the old fogies (Ollies, 54dogs, etc) go Arch. They forgot to take their little red pills this morning - they are delirious!

Actually its very likely that Lakey put you up to that Arch as a teaser for his soon to be released 2010 version. Trying to build some interest. Nothing like a bit of advance publicity. He's incorrigible that boy. Got no shame.:D

Actually its very likely that Lakey put you up to that Arch as a teaser for his soon to be released 2010 version. Trying to build some interest. Nothing like a bit of advance publicity. He's incorrigible that boy. Got no shame.:D

Wouldn't be surprised, attention whore of the highest order. Still stunned he didn't find a way to build Joey into the conversation, living on that selection from 2 years ago.

BTW Lakey, those 2.5KG weights you asked for at the gym have arrived.

Back on topic and it looks like Buddy's having his best PS for a while, could be scary this year if he stops thumping people

Hahaha....Dogs putting out the bait.....lets see if Lakey bites....

I am very interested in Buddy dogs. I think with the hawks having picked up Bruce and Burger in the past 2 years. Along with a midfield that has Mitchell, Hodge (depending on where he's playing), Young, Sewell, Rioli (at times), Ellis and birchall streaming through the guts he should get platter style service. The only question mark I have around him is that has he put that 'sbuddy'ness behind him that we have seen in the past. He has those games (like heater) where he scores 40 or 60 and has a big drop and can then be jumped all over....I think he is fully priced personally, but I can't help but think he will have a stinker at somestage throughout the year and then will be the time to go buddy-nuts!!

Remove this Banner Ad

DT Preseason Form Guide 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back