Dukes Of Hurley's 2011 Phantom

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey guys, this is my first mock draft, so feel free to comment. I have made it up to pick 60, but am just about to go to work, will add more when i get home. as i am not sure on who goes where after that. Ill only provide a little info on each player, as im doing this in a rush, but just ask me if you'd like more info on any player

1. GWS- Johnathan Patton- KPF- 197cm- VIC- no suprises

2. GWS- Stephen Coniglio- Mid- 183cm- WA- once again, no suprises here

3. GWS- Dom Tyson- Mid- 186cm- VIC- Tough midfielder who is one of my favourites in the draft. Really only tossed up between him, wingard and WHE here

4. GWS- Chad Wingard- Mid/HFF- 181cm- SA- Super classy inside mid who can also kick goals. I see him playing the same role as cousins did early on in his career.

5. GWS- Billy Longer- Ruck- 202cm- VIC- A lot of people predict that GWS will take a punt on Longer, because they don't think that Port will pick him at 6, but GWS will be cautious as port have said they'll pick best available. They'll have a plethora of good mids anyway

6. Port- Will Hoskin- Elliot- Mid- 182cm- VIC- a super quick and classy midfielder with a lot of hurt factor. Looks to be a real star of the future.

7. GWS- Matthew Buntine- HBF/Mid- 188cm-VIC- Great user of the ball who can read the play excellently. I think he'll be used more as a half back, setting up the play.

8. Lions- Adam Tomlinson- KPD/KPF-192 cm- VIC- Second best KPP in the draft for me. Can play anywhere on the ground really, even in the midfield. Good contested grab

9. GWS- Taylor Adams- Mid/HFF- 181 cm-VIC- classy mid who can go forward when needed. picks 9,10 and 11 really aren't in any order.

10. GWS- Liam Sumner- Mid- 182cm- VIC- Really impressive midfielder who should go anywhere between 9-13. Nice skill set

11. GWS- Toby Greene- Mid- 180cm- VIC- Oakleigh's midfield this year was superb! Tyson, Viney, Woofindin and Greene just jelled and were almost unstoppable. Greene is a clearance machine, should play early on in the year.

12. Lions- Fraser McInnes- KPF/KPD-194cm-WA- Lions need talls, and i was tossing up between Elton (who can help Luey in the ruck) or McInnes. Decided Elton has more flaws than Fraser. McInnes and Lisle should prove have similar versatility to the Carlisle and Hurley combo.

13. GWS- Devon Smith- Mid/FP- 175cm- VIC- Seriously under rated because of his size. Everyone believes he will slip, but i think that GWS will make sure they grab him early on. This years Dion Prestia! Gets plenty of the ball and can kick a bag!

14- GWS- Hayden Crozier- HFF- 184 cm- VIC- Most noted for his amazing grab. Croziers highlight package is one to be impressed by. Can do all the special things, but is critisised for his lack of consistency. Good endurance, and great leap. I feel he will come along in leaps and bounds, and become a great player

15-Richmond- Elliot Kavanagh- Mid- 187 cm- VIC- Classy midfielder who can do it all! Injury riddled, which hurt his draft placing. I have a feeling he will either go one of two ways. Always injured, or create a dream team with cotch, martin and lids. Cant see the tiges letting him slip

16- Freo- Shane Kersten- KPF- 191cm- WA- undersized, but highly rated. Fantastic dukes. Was really unsure on what freo needed most early on. Rucks are great, Mids are pretty good, and defence is rock solid. With no Mitch Clarke, and Pav becoming a mid, Kesten seems a good fit up forward. 2011's Jack Darling perhaps? 3rd tall that should provide help early on.

17- WB- Todd Elton- KPF/Ruck- 197cm- VIC- Hard to place elton. Has versatility and is a good size, but im not sure if i really rate him highly. Is ideal for the dogs, as their ruck stocks are thinning, and they are in desperate need for a Key forward. Good Dukes.

18. Roos- Brandon Ellis- HBF- 181cm- VIC- Seriously classy half back. He is a similar player to Buntine, but ellis is a level below. Best available imo.

19. Dons- Mitch Grigg- Mid- 183cm- SA- huge question marks over his speed, which has made some people rate him in the mid 40's :eek: i am a huge fan of his kicking and his ball winning ability. Maybe a little biased, but shouldn't be too far off this pick.

20- Freo- Nic Haynes- HFF/Mid- 191cm- Vic- Over ager, who is seriously skinny. Has plenty of talent and could prove to be boom or bust. Posses a good all round ability, just a question of his weight. 70 odd kgs roughly

21- Syd- Tom Mitchell (F/S)- Mid- 181cm- WA- would easily be top 10, if not for F/S. Sydney have struck gold in this inside midfielder! Could see him tear GWS a new one in round 1

22. Carlton- Jackson Paine- KPF/Mid- 194 cm- Vic- Over rated, but i feel he is worthy for Carlton. Plays a bit like Matt Pavlich, but not as silky skills. Would prefer the blues to get a pure FF, but Paine will be a good choice as CHF.

23. WCE- Brad McKenzie- Wing/HBF- 188cm- SA- Fantastic long left foot kick! Could go anywhere between 15-35 for me, but i feel he, hurn and sheppard will prove to be fantastic at setting up the play for many years to come. Think Heppell/ Suckling

24. GC- Michael Talia- KPD- 192cm- VIC- Great key back, who make take a little while to develop, but should be able to take on the gorrilla forwards in a few years time. Good in a contest.

25- STK- Sam Docherty- HBF- 183cm- VIC- A good running half back, who has a very long kick. Has tunnell vision though, and does not look for the shorter option too often. Was not initially part of the Champs series this year, but did play 2 games, where he was nearly best afield. Best available essentially

26- Richmond- Daniel Markworth- HFF/Mid- 189cm- Tall mid/ HFF who posseses decent skills. Haven't seen enough to really judge him, but should be a good fit for the tiges

27- Crows- Alex Forster- HBF- 189cm- SA- talented half back, who is in that inbetween height. can take a third tall, and make him accountable, and will be able to set the play up. Have seen him range from 10-40 in a few mocks :confused:

28- WCE- Shane Nelson- mid-179cm- WA- Fantastic DC, which showed him to have an accurate short kick. Accumulates the ball, which is always good. A bit short, so could slide.

29- Freo- Sam Frost- KPD-194 cm- VIC- Quick Key back who has pretty good skills. Really wasn't sure on what Freo needed tbh, so i tried to cover all bases. A good pick up

30- Lions- Myles Bolger- Ruck- 201cm- WA- Quality ruckman, who the lions need desperatly. Should take over as second ruck after Hudson retires

31- Ess- Sebastian Ross- mid- 187cm- Vic- Accumulates a lot of the ball, and has a decent kick on him. could go between 18-35 for me. I feel he will slide to 31. A lot of support for ross

32. Cats- Andrew Bosely- KPD- 194cm- VIC- Solid KPD who has been training with the cats. will either go here, or at 34 if they feel they need someone else at 32.

33- Hawks- Tom Sheridan- Mid-185cm- VIC- Decent midfielder who could go between 25-35, depending on who slides. Hawks dont really have any needs, besides a ruck, so Tom Downie could go here

34- Cats- Murray Newman- FP- 179cm- WA- has a bandwagon almost as big as mansons! Quick and exciting. dont see him going top 30. Kicks a fair few goals

35- STK- Josh Waldhunter- Mid- 184cm- SA- havent seen a lot of him, but as the saints mids are aging, i figured they could take a stab on a player who could go anywhere between 20-40

You have GWS taking 7 midfielders and 2 talls. They already have a pretty good midfield and poor key position stocks, so I think you've got the balance wrong. Apart from that though, good job.

Yeah, dukes of hurleys or windas magics phantom???

That is so awkward. i spent ages on this, and i didnt even realise it was auto signed in as windas magic.

It's definitely MY phantom, not his.

Also, i agree with the imbalance of early picks for GWS. I would have them taking both Tomlinson and Mcinnes if Lions didnt take them. They may take a punt on Mcinnes and let devon smith go.

They also picked up Mohr from casey scorpions. He will play down back with Davis initially

ill type up the rest of the picks in a moment

Just got up to pick 55 and my computer screwed up, and i was too silly to save my work! Bigger mistake than picking tambling over buddy!

36- Dees- Jordan Lockyer- KPF/KPB- 191xm-WA- Undersized KPP with a ferocious attack on the ball. Better suited to kpb, and will provide some depth and versatility for the dees. Better option than warnock was, offensively. Lacks the height to take the large forwards though

37-STK- Julian Dobsz- KPF-193cm-Tas- Over age full forward who will suit the saints. Good mark, great set shot at goal. Should make an impact earlier than others like Paine and Nic Murphy

38-Hawks- Brody Mihocek- 3rd tall back/Utility- 191cm- Tas- frustrating height, as he has the credentials to play as a kpb. Should play like a david myers type. Hawks don't really need a whole lot, so they can afford to take Mihocek 5-10 picks higher than what he really is worth. Can see him pushing tom murphy out of the side in a few years

39-Dogs- Josh Tyban-HB-185cm- Vic- Good kick and can read the play well. Will suit the dogs game style, but is clearly a class below buntine, ellis, docherty and co.

40- Nth- Nic Murphy-KPF- 194cm- Vic- Great hands and good set shot on goal. Beneficiary of a fantastic oakleigh midfield. Not many rate him this highly, but is a good size, and will enjoy playing for north

41- Adelaide- Clay Smith- Mid-180 cm- vic- Tough as nails inside mid who racks up the pill. Lacks polish but goes as hard as a selwood at the ball. Will be a solid player at best

42- STK- Tom Downie- Ruck-205cm-Vic- Big ruckman who i havent seen a lot of to be honest. Will take a while to develop, but has big wraps on him around these boards

43- Swans- Sam Kerridge-mid-188cm- vic- Tall powerful mid who can get plenty of the ball. Not the best user, but will help kennedy and bolton shovel out the ball to okeefe, goodes and rohan. Im a big fan of the way kerridge plays

44- Carlton-Henry Schade- KPD- 194-Tas- reliable full back, who isnt really all that impressive. However, has a good leap and a decent pair of mits, which is why i think ratten may try him as a forward as he develops at the bullants. A few better midfield options, but the blues have a plethora of them

45- Port- Jackson merret-mid-187cm- Vic- Tall mid who will take time to develop. will need to put 10-12 kgs on to become an afl player. Great outside, but gets pushed aside too easily on the inside. Perhaps will start as a wing/ HFF option

46-Crows- Haiden Schloithe- FP-179cm-WA- I have him a bit higher than others, but thats because i think he could be anything! Quick, decent skills and knows where the goals are. Will become a boom or bust prospect

47- Brisbane- Cameron Ellis- Yolman- Mid- 191cm- SA- Big, ready to go inside mid who racks up the possies. Wins plenty of clearances due to his size. I expect to see him get a gig within the first ten rounds of 2012

48- Geel- Cameron Valentine- fwd-191cm- Vic- Russell robertson type. Third tall with a huge leap and good hands. I think he may be groomed into a kyle hardingham/ nick maxwell type defender who comes over with a big fist over the top if he goes to the cats, as they already have menzal and SJ as marking 3rd tall types

49- Wb- Michael Bussey- KPF/KPB-196cm- vic- Good size, and very athletic. good mark, but had a dissapointing 2011. Will need to put on 8-10 kgs before he becomes a dominant force. Floats in and out of games, and is lazy. Could have been a highly rated player if he had a better work ethic

50- Pies- Alex Woodward- Mid-179cm-vic- Best available, as their only need is a ruck. Witts is their answer there. Small, but has great skills. May turn into a Blair type, as a small forward. will not get many games next year, and perhaps is a bit high, at 50. Webster is more likely here

51-Port- Jimmy Webster- mid/fwd- 186 cm- tas- Quick and great long left foot kick. Problem is his lack of weight. Decent height for a mid, which will work in his favour. Dont expect a lot of him, but could become clinton young type off the wing

52.Dees- Brad Hill- Mid-180cm- WA- A lot suggest he will go rookie draft, due to the fact he is a long way off AFL size at 60 kgs :( I feel the dees would take a punt on him, as he is an endurance runner, who would relish the g. Plays a lot like his brother, but isnt as quick and not as many tricks

53- Hawks- Bruest(rookie elevation)

54-dees- Jye Bolton- mid-183cm- vic- Ex collingwood player, who many thought should have been given an elevation, rather than a delisting. Great work rate, good skills. Will enjoy playing at the dees

55- Richmond- Mitch Woofindin- mid/fwd-178cm- vic- Small quick player, who based on skill alone could have been a top 50 pick. However, i have rated him a lot higher than others, and might even go as a rookie. Good kick, and will fit richmonds game plan well

56- GWS- Tom Curran- KPF/KPD- 195cm- Vic- Could have been picked up by the hawks as a F/S selection. Just hasnt progressed as well as i hoped, but will be a good pick up for GWS. i can see him getting a birth early on for them, as a forward, due to the fact he is fairly strong, and will contest well

57- WB- dalhaus rookie upgrade

58- Freo- Zyrus manson-KPF- 195cm- WA- to those saying he will go top 20, you are joking. It's really up to either freo or WCE to pick him up as he has the real go home factor. I feel a victorian team who has the luxury to take a gamble may pick up manson earlier. Freakish talent who kicked 28 goals in 3 games in the NT. Will either become a star, or an over hyped dud. I dont see freo or wce taking him with one of their earlier picks, as both are pretty right for talls

59- Essendon- Crameri rookie elevation

60- STK- Jake Hammond- KPF/ 3rd tall- 191cm-Vic- Massive fan of Hammo's. Kicked 27 goals in 11 games for the chargers, in a team with a multiple big forward targets. Fantastic shot at goal, great mark and fairly quick on the lead. Injury interrupted season really the only reason why people have either left him out of their mocks, or have placed him lowly. That awkward 191cm has come up again, but i know Jake will be able to find a niche as a third tall. Dobsz, waldhunter, docherty, downie and Hammo- saints fans lick your lips!

Paine is not overrated.

To be honest, i believe Paine will be one of the better kpp's in this draft. I'd personally prefer to have him in the long term over kersten, but others dispute that

People have rated paine as high as 12-14. In real terms though, he is between 15-25. Id take him before kersten, elton and perhaps even mcinnes, as he has that ability to play in the middle too

Time will tell

ha geez your easy to throw stones hurley. what about gumby for selwood/rievoldt/frawley. theres your mistake idiot.
Why would we take a key defender or a midfielder when we wanted a key forward- the highest rated key forward in the draft as well. Also it's spelt RIEWOLDT

50- Pies- Alex Woodward- Mid-179cm-vic- Best available, as their only need is a ruck. Witts is their answer there. Small, but has great skills. May turn into a Blair type, as a small forward. will not get many games next year, and perhaps is a bit high, at 50. Webster is more likely here

With the Pies Trading for Elliot and Yagmoor I doubt we go for another Youngster who is Similar Size to them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have crows taking Forster who is 189 cm. You state he is not in between height. I suggest this would be? He is not the height of a key back. Anyways i am hoping we pick a mid/forward with pick 27.

You have crows taking Forster who is 189 cm. You state he is not in between height. I suggest this would be? He is not the height of a key back. Anyways i am hoping we pick a mid/forward with pick 27.

I think you have misread, i have said he is 'inbetween height'. No he isnt, but there are multiple key position players who are at 191cm in this draft, some of whom are rated highly. I said he can take a third tall, not a key position player. Will defend similarly to harry obrien, as he can take a tall or small

I thought about murray newman at pick 27, but even then, i think is a bit early to take him. With you also pipped to take clay smith at 41, i would say that inside mids are not really needed.

For me, the crows half back line is lacking depth and skill. Otten will need to pick up his game again next year, and Symes is not the long term option. Forster will be a good player

Also, how about fiora over pavlich ;)

With the Pies Trading for Elliot and Yagmoor I doubt we go for another Youngster who is Similar Size to them

I forgot about Elliot, and havent seen anything of Yagmoor to be honest with you

The pies have the luxury of taking anyone with this pick. I would suggest a rebounding half back, or a key position player. I considered them taking manson at 50. They are one of the only clubs who are lucky enough to take a risk in the draft. I dont know if manson would enjoy being in the spotlight, however, and thats why i decided against him

Why would we take a key defender or a midfielder when we wanted a key forward- the highest rated key forward in the draft as well. Also it's spelt RIEWOLDT

firstly i know it was spelt wrong but i couldnt be bothered to check but you got the gist so sue me pal.
secondly your excuse is exactly why the tigers went for tambling ie we had no mids so thats why we chose him yet that doesnt stop the bagging so why are you guys any different? how would the dons go with jack up fwd with hurley down back. or with selwood in the guts. my beef is that everyone keeps harping on our draft mistakes but never admit to their own.

I think you have misread, i have said he is 'inbetween height'. No he isnt, but there are multiple key position players who are at 191cm in this draft, some of whom are rated highly. I said he can take a third tall, not a key position player. Will defend similarly to harry obrien, as he can take a tall or small

I thought about murray newman at pick 27, but even then, i think is a bit early to take him. With you also pipped to take clay smith at 41, i would say that inside mids are not really needed.

For me, the crows half back line is lacking depth and skill. Otten will need to pick up his game again next year, and Symes is not the long term option. Forster will be a good player

Also, how about fiora over pavlich ;)

ha you still havent answered my question?

Gumby was not a mistake. It isn't like he came to the club with injury worries. Gumby has just had horrible luck. Who knows it might sort itself out and he can play on for a number of years. Of course if he does play on he wont be the player that the club hoped for having missed out on all those years of development but at 197cm and with elite endurance (as a kid) I'm sure the club could find a role for him if fit!!!

22. Carlton- Jackson Paine- KPF/Mid- 194 cm- Vic- Over rated, but i feel he is worthy for Carlton. Plays a bit like Matt Pavlich, but not as silky skills. Would prefer the blues to get a pure FF, but Paine will be a good choice as CHF.

23. WCE- Brad McKenzie- Wing/HBF- 188cm- SA- Fantastic long left foot kick! Could go anywhere between 15-35 for me, but i feel he, hurn and sheppard will prove to be fantastic at setting up the play for many years to come. Think Heppell/ Suckling

25- STK- Sam Docherty- HBF- 183cm- VIC- A good running half back, who has a very long kick. Has tunnell vision though, and does not look for the shorter option too often. Was not initially part of the Champs series this year, but did play 2 games, where he was nearly best afield. Best available essentially
Unless they're gone, I hope we go for these two ahead of Paine if all three are available. They sound too good to pass up.
44- Carlton-Henry Schade- KPD- 194-Tas- reliable full back, who isnt really all that impressive. However, has a good leap and a decent pair of mits, which is why i think ratten may try him as a forward as he develops at the bullants. A few better midfield options, but the blues have a plethora of them

50- Pies- Alex Woodward- Mid-179cm-vic- Best available, as their only need is a ruck. Witts is their answer there. Small, but has great skills. May turn into a Blair type, as a small forward. will not get many games next year, and perhaps is a bit high, at 50. Webster is more likely here.
I doubt that we will take two KPP after Carlton went super tall in the 2010 draft. We need to take one inside mid to add some more muscle and backbone to our midfield. Not a lot of grunt in there besides Judd and Robinson. Need an in and under or even a Jordan Lewis or Heath Hocking with Curnow and Mclean pretty injury prone.

Unless they're gone, I hope we go for these two ahead of Paine if all three are available. They sound too good to pass up.

I doubt that we will take two KPP after Carlton went super tall in the 2010 draft. We need to take one inside mid to add some more muscle and backbone to our midfield. Not a lot of grunt in there besides Judd and Robinson. Need an in and under or even a Jordan Lewis or Heath Hocking with Curnow and Mclean pretty injury prone.

You're right, carlton most likely will not take two kpp's with their first picks. I assumed dylan buckley was an inside mid though? havent seen him play.
Mckenzie is one of my favourites from the draft, he reminds me of cross between clinton young and brad shepard. There are plenty of people who compare him to heppell and trent mckenzie. His kicking is definitely his feature, but may need to become an even better reader of the play to become a half back who sets up the play.

Paine is a good player, dont worry about that. He will give you the flexibility to play waite, kruezer and himself in the forward line, as he is mobile enough to be a floating half forward before he establishes himself as a key forward.

You could possibly pick up clay smith or sam kerridge with your second pick, who are in my opinion, far better options than schade. Clay smith goes super hard. Ellis-Yolman could also be a chance at 44, if the blues are willing to pick him up a little early

Thanks Dukes. Rendell stated we will pick best available. Also mentioned that they were worried about our key back depth. However, it would be nice to add to the midfield where i think we lack genuine quality. Rutten, L thompson and Talia are capable. Great work though. Top job.

firstly i know it was spelt wrong but i couldnt be bothered to check but you got the gist so sue me pal.
secondly your excuse is exactly why the tigers went for tambling ie we had no mids so thats why we chose him yet that doesnt stop the bagging so why are you guys any different? how would the dons go with jack up fwd with hurley down back. or with selwood in the guts. my beef is that everyone keeps harping on our draft mistakes but never admit to their own.

Well no one knew that Gumby would need back surgery and then continue to suffer back related hammy problems :rolleyes:

It has more than likely turned out a wasted pick but more to do with bad luck than plain miss reading the talent. If someone suffers a serious injury that can not be foreseen then the recruiters are not at fault !!

If the bloody AFL had not changed the rules mid season we would have had Gumby and Selwood as we would have had pick 2 & 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dukes Of Hurley's 2011 Phantom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back