Dustin fletcher poll

Remove this Banner Ad

The only time I see Fletcher attacking from the backline is when he isn't playing at Full Back, or playing on the shittest Forward. Every week Scarlett takes the Full Forward, and every week Scarlett creates as much, if not more Rebound from defence than Fletcher.
Then you need to watch the game more. Fact is over their careers their stats are remarkably similar. They get the same amount of the ball and Fletcher is a better kick.(And before all the Geelong supporters jump on me -1/ I rate Scarlett the best Full Back I have seen and I go back to the start of the 70's; and 2/ I am not saying Scarlett is not a good kick but throughout his career Fletcher has always been in the top couple in the comp for disposal efficiency - and long kicks - and rebound 50's)

Do you even watch footy apart from your own team?

Scarlett has always gone to Franklin because he plays closer to goal. Taylor has always gone to Riewoldt because he plays up the ground.

Thanks for the question - and yes, watch a lot of footy - even from other teams.

Riewoldt also often goes deep - Taylor takes him then still - not Scarlett.

People were surprised in the 08 GF when Scarlett went to Buddy - however Buddy had been injured and was playing closer to goal at that point - as opposed to when he was fit and healthy where he pushes well up the ground and even into the mid field.

Watch a bit more footy and you'll see I'm right.

No one is doubting how good Scarlett is, but some of what you came up with is flat out wrong.

One word: Irreplaceable.

IMO, will be a harder player to cover than both Lloyd and Lucas.

Worth noting that Flatcher has not only done the job on most full forwards, but his ability to help other defenders constantly, or to get those late touches ontogoals and marks when looking beaten is second to none.

Will be sorely missed wen he eventually retires.

Is fletcher the only great full back to have bags of goals kicked on him on occasions.

Fletcher is not a great FB. Rocca did it multiple times on Fletcher, as well as other forwards. Tredrea is another who has exposed him multiple times.

The "Great" FB's always play on the opposition's best forward & don't leak goals. Fletcher does neither.

really?

most bomber supporters think they have the 2012 premiership already in the bag cause your players are going to be that good.

Yep, Bomber fans are the only supporter group in the competition that rate their youngsters, I mean, Bulldogs fans have never done this in the history of their existence have they?

Fletcher is a great defender. He is certainly up there with the best defenders of the last decade. Perhaps the fact that he is so versatile and plays on big, small and medium forwards means that he is not thought of as a key posi defender in the traditional sense.

At any rate in my opinion he is a great player and in his prime would have been in the best back 6 at any club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fletcher is not a great FB. Rocca did it multiple times on Fletcher, as well as other forwards. Tredrea is another who has exposed him multiple times.

The "Great" FB's always play on the opposition's best forward & don't leak goals. Fletcher does neither.

Ok. Please list your "great" full backs and if any of them have ever had a bag of goals kicked on them, let us know that too so we can strike them from the list you come up with. This should be interesting. :rolleyes:

Lloyd averaged six goals a game over about a 4 year period on Scarlett. That doesn't diminish Scarlett at all.

Lloyd averaged six goals a game over about a 4 year period on Scarlett. That doesn't diminish Scarlett at all.

That was when Scarlett first started. Rocca had the better of Fletcher from 93' to 99' (his 2nd last year at Collingwood). Even when Sav went to North, he would still toy with Fletcher.

Treadrea is another (as many other key forwards) who have kicked multiple bags of goals on Fletcher, which is quite different to Scarlett. I can remember a time from about 2000 to 2004 where Tarrant/Rocca would regulary put in their contender for Mark of the Year on Scarlett, that changed, with Fletcher, he has been leaking goals since day 1 (Sticks kicked 7 goals on him in a GF).

That was when Scarlett first started. Rocca had the better of Fletcher from 93' to 99' (his 2nd last year at Collingwood). Even when Sav went to North, he would still toy with Fletcher.

Treadrea is another (as many other key forwards) who have kicked multiple bags of goals on Fletcher, which is quite different to Scarlett. I can remember a time from about 2000 to 2004 where Tarrant/Rocca would regulary put in their contender for Mark of the Year on Scarlett, that changed, with Fletcher, he has been leaking goals since day 1 (Sticks kicked 7 goals on him in a GF).

Fair suck of the old full back

That was 93, Fletcher would have been about 17 playing on one of the best centre half forwards of the era. And we still lost by 7 goals.

The Inspector was a great fullback, definately up there in elite with SOS and Scarlett.

Tredrea is another who has exposed him multiple times.

Wrong again.

Fletch has only played against Port 11 times since 1997 (Port and Tredrea's first season). Tredrea missed 1 of those 11 games, meaning they can only have met a maximum of 10 times.

R02 1997 - 0 goals
R15 1998 - 4 goals
R01 2000 - 1 goal (Fletch also kicked 1 and had 16 disposals)
R16 2000 - 0 goals (Fletch 18 disposals)
R02 2001 - 3 goals (Fletch kicked 2 himself)
R18 2004 - 3 goals
R09 2005 - 5 goals (Fletch 15 disposals)
R09 2006 - 4 goals (Fletch 17 disposals)
R12 2007 - 4 goals (Fletch 18 disposals)
R01 2009 - 0 goals

I doubt they played against each other all of these times. I remember Solomon standing him a couple of times and and Hurley kept him goalless in 2009. Overall, the 2005 game was Tredrea's best against a Fletcher led defence. Consider this, Essendon have a pathetic record against Port (6 wins, 13 loses)...Fletcher's record against them is 6 wins, 5 losses. Says a bit about the quality of Fletch :)

I doubt they played against each other all of these times. I

So who does Fletcher play on really? If he is a great FB he would have played on the best forwards.

You can't have it either way. He's kicked 4 or more goals on Fletcher five times.

He's also exposed him in finals.

So who does Fletcher play on really? If he is a great FB he would have played on the best forwards.+

Yep, Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall, Modra, Longmire, Richo, Gehrig, Rocca, Sticks, Franklin, Neitz, Tredrea, Lynch, Brown, Fevola....the list goes on. What's your point?

Didn't play on Carey that often, but spanked him in the 2000 qualifying final. Fletch would usually get Longmire during the 90s...North's full forward.

You can't have it either way. He's kicked 4 or more goals on Fletcher five times.

He's also exposed him in finals.

Read my post again princess. Fletch was suspended in the first week of finals in 2002 and 2003, so has never played a final against Port. Tredrea has kicked 4 or more 4 times, not 5, you've been exposed as a liar more than once now. 3 or 4 goals is a good game for a team's main forward target, not a domination. You lose. Suck it up.

Thanks for the question - and yes, watch a lot of footy - even from other teams.

Riewoldt also often goes deep - Taylor takes him then still - not Scarlett.

People were surprised in the 08 GF when Scarlett went to Buddy - however Buddy had been injured and was playing closer to goal at that point - as opposed to when he was fit and healthy where he pushes well up the ground and even into the mid field.

Watch a bit more footy and you'll see I'm right.

No one is doubting how good Scarlett is, but some of what you came up with is flat out wrong.
Do you know what a FB's job is? It's to play on the Full Forward isn't it.

And considering we have a more than handy CHB, It's little wonder he played on Riewoldt who spends most of his time up the ground.

Franklin plays more as a Full Forward than CHF, as he tends to stick closer to goal. Hence why Scarlett goes to him.

You're great fun, good on you for keeping coming back to entertain us. :D

Lloyd kicked 47 goals over 13 games against Geelong with Scarlo in the side. 46 over 11 if you ignore '08/'09 since he played on a HFF and Scarlo always plays at FB. :)

Roccas kicked 50 over 15 games against Fletch.

Take a look at that video again you half wit. Roccas kicks 1,2,3 against Fletch. Kicks 4,5,6 vs #20 who was? you guessed it Tim Darcy. Kicks 7,8 Against O'Connor before kicking 9 against Fletch who gets moved onto him late in the game.

Of course if Fletch played on Rocca all game how did he go get 2 goals 2 himself?

Now I also love how you dismiss Lloyd against Scarlett because "thats when Scarlett was starting out" when did Fletch start out again? Coz of course by 1995 he was a seasoned veteran. Not some kid.

Oh and of course lets not forget how Rocca still toyed with Fletch at NM. 16 goals in 7 games against the Bombers at NM. Jeez he ripped him to shreds.:)

Keep the laughs coming princess.

Neither poll option fits. Fletcher is one of the greats of the modern era, and while he is nowhere near that level anymore, he is still a very good footballer. It's also more important for Essendon that young guys like Hurley and Pears take the number 1 key forward from the opposition. I think he is still overrated a tad, but that's not to say he is a washed up hack who is hidden from the power forwards of the game.

How is this even a poll? If someones asking the question is Fletcher over rated? They should start by "hey i just moved to the country" even so i still would wonder who they have been speaking to.

Fletch has played on the best forwards small and tall throughout his career as well as offering good rebound simple. In his aging years he rarely played on key forward whether that be to:

A) his strength or not being as good at locking down compared to his younger days or,

B) He provides brilliant set up out of the back line with his run, composure and long accurate kick whilst acts as the best 3rd man up in the comp (arguably). He also has the ability to play on smalls which bombers dont have many small/medium lock down defenders in recent years and by contrast a good depth in Key position backs which need developing.

As a bombers supporter I have extreem love for Fletch so am bias, however there is a reason for that bias as he proves weekly for a long time. This thread is a joke people who think otherwise i have no time for.

End Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dustin fletcher poll

Remove this Banner Ad

Back