Dylan Roberton

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm quite staggered no one wanted him. I figured he'd been told to quit and go in the draft and he'd be guaranteed to be picked up by someone. Proven he can play at the level.
Hope he does stay, shown he can do a job.

One of the few on our list that could actually fill in for MJ/McPhee. Though obviously not as good at rotating onto KP talls at this stage. Unless the succession plan is Ibbotson (contract pending), Forster (0 games) and...

Much like Lower (who I just commented on similarly in another thread) he's in our top 25-30 players which puts him in contention week-in, week-out. He played 10 games last season.
Im with you Prattsa, Roberton is very handy depth and was not dissapointed at all this year when he was named in the 22 on Thursday night.

Unlike 2011 when the likes of Schammer, Hinkley, Bollenhagen, JVB, Bucovaz were all getting games. Its amazing how much crap we have cut from the list and how talented our depth is.

Can't wait to find out if we are keeping Roberton and if he does go it will hopefully give Faulks or Forster a chance to shine next year.

We do have Forster who is a very similar player to come in though. I have a feeling Alex will become a favourite of Lyon's.

If McPhee retires... the loss of Roberton is going to hurt more than people think IMO, especially in the top 4 expectations of the here and now of season 2013

Roberton on the permission to train list of St kilda.

May get a gig after all...
I'm really happy for him. This is essentially the best thing that could've happened, both family and football wise.

I have a mate from Seaford and he knew Robbo as a kid, so I'd say most of his family are Franga-based. Considering that St Kilda train down there, it's going to be perfect for him. In terms of footy, St Kilda are on the decline and he'll be able to bridge a gap: Experienced, fairly proven (at a club where, during his time, was challenging/playing finals) and young. Good on him. Hope he gets a gig.

I'm really happy for him. This is essentially the best thing that could've happened, both family and football wise.

I have a mate from Seaford and he knew Robbo as a kid, so I'd say most of his family are Franga-based. Considering that St Kilda train down there, it's going to be perfect for him. In terms of footy, St Kilda are on the decline and he'll be able to bridge a gap: Experienced, fairly proven (at a club where, during his time, was challenging/playing finals) and young. Good on him. Hope he gets a gig.
Ironically, the reason we appear to have lost him is because not enough of Dylan was Franga-based.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think he will go to the saints, he would of signed with Freo if he didn't have interest from another club. Maybe Freo offering him another year increased interest and helped the saints make the decision. I know they were trying to do the best by him.

I really thought they would pick him up in trade week for a really late pick. They need someone to help their backline after loosing Dawson, Gram, Fisher getting on in age...

I'll bet StKilda offered exactly that. But we rejected the offer because we had no interest in a late pick as we never planned to use more than three picks.

Best of luck to Robbo. I always liked him as a player. Particularly in his first year he always showed a lot of courage for a bloke with a very thin frame. Personally, I reckon he'll become a very useful footballer, particularly as he continues to add bulk to his frame, he could even become a KPD.

Had a good read of this thread, I like the look of him and he fits into an age group that we still lack in.

At his age, still a lot of development left in him.

May be depth to replace Raph Clarke.

I'll bet StKilda offered exactly that. But we rejected the offer because we had no interest in a late pick as we never planned to use more than three picks.

The only issue now is that a late pick in the ND would be very handy if McPhee does decide to leave. Now we have to wait until late in the Pre-Season draft and pick whoever is left.

The only issue now is that a late pick in the ND would be very handy if McPhee does decide to leave. Now we have to wait until late in the Pre-Season draft and pick whoever is left.

Correct. If we end up using pick 80, Bondy will look a little bit stupid won't he.

EDIT - just realised we missed list lodgement so I assume we can't use pick 80 anyway.

There were no offers for Roberton AFAIK so how could he have knocked them back?
Saints just take in the PSD if they want him, like we did with McPhee, Dawson.
The Bond bashing around here is getting intense!

I don't mean to bash Bondy. I'm not generally a Bond-hater. I just think throwing in pick 60 along with Broughton was uneccessary. Surely pick 37 was miserly enough.

In regards to offers for Roberton. I'll bet there's hundreds of offers made during trade week that don't make it into public knowledge. If StKilda are keen enough to have him train, it seems feasible that they'd have offered a low pick, but a pick lower than 60 wouldn't have improved our position so Bondy probably didn't see the point. I'm not saying we should have accepted a late pick, just trying to explain why we wouldn't have accepted a late pick.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ns-st-kilda-20121129-2ahs7.html#ixzz2DZrv6KU0

ST KILDA has made former Fremantle defender Dylan Roberton the AFL's latest delisted free agent signing, Robertson having boarded a plane to join the Saints at their altitude camp in Colorado.
I'm disappointed St Kilda are able to do that. There is no need for a PSD to move players if they can refuse a contract and wait, knowing they will be signed by their new club of choice.

Good for Dylan though, I can't begrudge him for following what I assume he believes is the best course for his family.

Strictly speaking, if clubs want to play hard ball, they still can force a player to the draft if the player refuses to sign. But yeah, there's usually no reason for a club to do so. FA was meant to shift the balance of power more in favour of the players and I guess it's doing that.
I reckon we'll see Clarke doing exactly the same thing in 12 months.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ns-st-kilda-20121129-2ahs7.html#ixzz2DZrv6KU0

I'm disappointed St Kilda are able to do that. There is no need for a PSD to move players if they can refuse a contract and wait, knowing they will be signed by their new club of choice.

Good for Dylan though, I can't begrudge him for following what I assume he believes is the best course for his family.

I'm disappointed that journalists still can't spell his name.

But, good luck to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan Roberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back