Recommitted Dylan Shiel [OOC 2024; reports he may move? Dodoro says he is a 'required player']

Remove this Banner Ad

Really good early this year for the first 6-8, rounds then injury
we miss him and Setterfield.
That was our peak midfield.
a big body blocker and a power runner.

if i were him, i'd explore a chance at a flag. I'd be happy to pay the salary too if the buying club upped the pick.

But why? We lack experience on our list as it is, and we have the opposite of a cap crunch.
Because Shiel hurts our midfield balance. Having him and Parish both in the team means that our defensive side is much worse. Both are too similar. I agree if Parish left there would be no point in trading Shiel, but actually trading Shiel now makes an awful lot of sense. The reasons for it are:
  • It frees up a list spot.
  • His value now with us paying (almost) all of his salary in 2024 would be significantly higher than if we pushed him next year. I doubt out of contract with a club picking up any new salary that we'd get much at all. Also a year older. And by "significantly higher" I'm saying pick 30 odd versus a late third rounder.
  • It opens opportunities for players who better balance our midfield to get senior games in the midfield.
  • Because we may not need to take all 3 picks to the draft, we'd be perfectly happy with future draft compensation.

Stoked we got two first rounders off Dodoro for him.
You didn't. Dodoro got removed from the room and replaced because he was refusing to pay that much. Which in hindsight, he was 100% correct on given the strength of the 2018 & 2019 drafts and our list position. I do actually think Shiel was worth around that level of compensation (or one of the firsts and the second going the other way).

Because Shiel hurts our midfield balance. Having him and Parish both in the team means that our defensive side is much worse. Both are too similar. I agree if Parish left there would be no point in trading Shiel, but actually trading Shiel now makes an awful lot of sense. The reasons for it are:
  • It frees up a list spot.
  • His value now with us paying (almost) all of his salary in 2024 would be significantly higher than if we pushed him next year. I doubt out of contract with a club picking up any new salary that we'd get much at all. Also a year older. And by "significantly higher" I'm saying pick 30 odd versus a late third rounder.
  • It opens opportunities for players who better balance our midfield to get senior games in the midfield.
  • Because we may not need to take all 3 picks to the draft, we'd be perfectly happy with future draft compensation.

You didn't. Dodoro got removed from the room and replaced because he was refusing to pay that much. Which in hindsight, he was 100% correct on given the strength of the 2018 & 2019 drafts and our list position. I do actually think Shiel was worth around that level of compensation (or one of the firsts and the second going the other way).
Bombers pay up to get Shiel at the death

As Shiel continues to send texts and the clock approaches 8pm, the Giants and Bombers meet again.

While Dodoro had been seen as the face of the Shiel acquisition, he's left pacing the corridors as Richardson, less than one year into his job at the club, sits down with the Giants.

Dodoro had been involved in the initial pitch and spoke to Shiel regularly through the whole process. He was the man Shiel called to confirm he wanted to be a Bomber. Now, he was watching on with less than half an hour remaining.
Richardson was sacked two years later after the team finished 13th.

Okay, can someone explain how overpaying Gresham and trading Shiel benefits us? Or them?

If we overpay, it nets them pick 13. Helps with the Henry trade. Makes sense. How does that benefit us? The alternative is we get 13 as part of the Shiel deal (and we trade 27), what benefit is that to them? The whole thing makes no sense at all.

Okay, can someone explain how overpaying Gresham and trading Shiel benefits us? Or them?

If we overpay, it nets them pick 13. Helps with the Henry trade. Makes sense. How does that benefit us? The alternative is we get 13 as part of the Shiel deal (and we trade 27), what benefit is that to them? The whole thing makes no sense at all.
You aren't getting 13 for Shiel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that you satisfy the compensatory demands of the team that is losing him, as the alternative may be that you risk losing him if we match. The trade off may be worth it in Essendons view.
Hardly. 750k for mckay is bad enough
The risk of losing him is outweighed by preserving the cap space

So that you satisfy the compensatory demands of the team that is losing him, as the alternative may be that you risk losing him if we match. The trade off may be worth it in Essendons view.

“Demands”

I don’t think St Kildas “demands” over a RFA are actually going to influence Essendons cap management much, if at all.

They will offer him what they want and St Kilda will be very unlikely to match.

“Demands”

I don’t think St Kildas “demands” over a RFA are actually going to influence Essendons cap management much, if at all.

They will offer him what they want and St Kilda will be very unlikely to match.
Maybe. All I know is we are playing this a lot better than Adelaide did with Brad Crouch. Lyon and other club figures have publicly stated multiple times that we would love to keep Gresh, but we are being very respectful of the RFA process and seeing where that leads us. To the point that we haven't offered a contract at the request of Jade's management to allow the market to set his price.

I'd say we have definitely left the door ajar to match and keep him at the club if (again, I'll say it) our demands (re. appropriate compensation as we see it) are not met.

Gresham is on his way out. It all depends on whether St Kilda want a mid/late 2nd rounder as compensation OR do they want Dylan Shiel. The latter would do Gresham a favour by allowing him to accept a godfather offer and Essendon a favour by gifting them a first round pick (that wouldn’t exist without this higher offer occurring) and give Saints a player who could slot straight into their midfield. Essendon can go either way, money isn’t a problem and Gresham is gone regardless.

It's been reporter the first round compo would be going back to essendon.. Gresham is worth a second pick and no more than 500k. In what situation do you think essendon are giving you Dylan shiel for free when they already have plenty of cap space

Gresham is on his way out. It all depends on whether St Kilda want a mid/late 2nd rounder as compensation OR do they want Dylan Shiel. The latter would do Gresham a favour by allowing him to accept a godfather offer and Essendon a favour by gifting them a first round pick (that wouldn’t exist without this higher offer occurring) and give Saints a player who could slot straight into their midfield. Essendon can go either way, money isn’t a problem and Gresham is gone regardless.

Good god I hope Shiel comes nowhere us.

Over paid spud of the highest order who will be out the door in 12 months.

Prefer just to keep Gresham.

I would too if I was in Saints shoes but if he’s out the door I’m taking Shiel over a mid/late 2nd rounder especially when you are in the window.
I don't think that's value at all for us. Shiel is 30 and will be an unrestricted free agent in a year so if we really want him we could wait until then. You are absolutely dreaming if you think you're getting a mid/late second for Shiel let alone a first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Dylan Shiel [OOC 2024; reports he may move? Dodoro says he is a 'required player']

Remove this Banner Ad

Back