Eagles speaking to Lake according to Aker

Remove this Banner Ad

The size of his contract are going to scare off a lot of clubs, as are the injury worries but I dont think we're just going to let him go for a packet of chips and mars bar, at his best he's the best full back in the league, the type of player who could turn a contender into the real deal, whether he can get back to that is another story...

If this is the case, I think its a pretty strong sign that Glass is going to call it quits at the end of this season. Get Lake for a season or two and then there would be enough games into Mackenzie/Schofield/Brown to become solid, consistent FB's/CHB's

Well, Glass is contracted for 2012 and his body seems fine at the moment.

I would suggest that we're just checking in. If a quality player becomes available I assume every club would enquire to see what the deal is. We'd probably near last in line to get Lake.

Just to put it out there with a bit of devil's advocate theory here. Mitch brown was one of the three players GWS were interested in during the discussions about the mini draft and o'maera. (along with scott selwood and chris masten)

Lake could provide us with a good couple of years down back (and even as an occasional swingman) while we start developing another young tall defender. In saying that though i wouldnt be willing to offer any more than our second rounder and steak knives for him or a player swap. We wouldn't be doing this if its going to be expensive mind and i dont think we'll get him but we shall see i guess.

Here is a thought....maybe Lake is being shopped around because he is on a hefty salary. The Doggies may need to free up a shit load of cap space to keep Ward from going to GWS.

Now I would not want us to pay Lake anywhere what he is on at the Doggies however there is nothihing stopping us from asking the Doggies to pay a share of his salary..

On the other hand Akrimonious does talk a lot of shyte.

B. Jones delisted, Glass possibly retiring and could we be considering trading one of our young KPD, or perhaps a positional change?

Interesting and who knows if its true or not. After seeing how easily our KPD stocks can be exposed with two injuries, the idea of an ageing Glass makes me think we need to draft one this year.

Maybe the club believes Lake is a better fit than any draftee we will be able to pick up?

we have glass, so even if he DID retire this year we have mackenzie, brown and schofield.

we flat out dont need an old KPD. weve already got one.

we could use a draftee though, to develop while the other guys play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, so most people on here agree that Glass' body will give up before his mind does? Brown hasn't shown a huge amount playing chb, he's done well when he can run off, but in terms of durability and runs on the board, he'd no certainty of 16+ good games next season as a key back. Emac has missed 7(?) weeks this year and our back up for these is a guy who we all agree is better at hbf than kpd.

Talk to Lake, do it!

Also, while Aka may shoot his mouth off, he knows what's happening at the dogs, was onto Cooneys knee months ago

I thought we were at least 1 elite midfielder (with pace?) off being a serious premiership threat? Lake would fit in better at a club that is challenging for the flag now, but needs some more class down back- like Hawthorn.

Imagine if Glass and Lake both retired at the same time? Would really leave us exposed. I think we should continue with the youth policy and get games into the guys we do have. Really like the look of Emac, Schoey and Brown...

Okay, so most people on here agree that Glass' body will give up before his mind does? Brown hasn't shown a huge amount playing chb, he's done well when he can run off, but in terms of durability and runs on the board, he'd no certainty of 16+ good games next season as a key back. Emac has missed 7(?) weeks this year and our back up for these is a guy who we all agree is better at hbf than kpd.

Talk to Lake, do it!

Also, while Aka may shoot his mouth off, he knows what's happening at the dogs, was onto Cooneys knee months ago

Ok.... before you continue posting anymore - who exactly would you drop from the current squad for this lazy, overpaid, unfit, mature footballer?

Would you have the captain dropped? Maybe young Smith? Of course Brown won't be coming into the squad...

I wouldn't be surprised if we traded for a quality back for post Glass. Our young key position players are our weakest link. A good back would be better than just adding another mid to the list

I agree, but not a key back that is nearly 30.

that's suprising, i didn't think we would go after an ageing defender either.

Maybe we would play him forward?

If Lynch doesn't agree to a new contract a forward line of Kennedy, Lake, Darling and Le Cras would be pretty classy.

IMO Lake looks like he is more interested in playing forward than back, age is an issue and getting would basically say we are topping up for a flag assault in the next 2>3 seasons.

I'd give this a 1 in 100 chance of happening.

Ok.... before you continue posting anymore - who exactly would you drop from the current squad for this lazy, overpaid, unfit, mature footballer?

Would you have the captain dropped? Maybe young Smith? Of course Brown won't be coming into the squad...

Well you wouldn't make the trade if you feel he'd be over paid would you? He's still under contract so a trade would only eventuate if the dogs wanted to get rid of him and if that was the case you would think they would still pay a portion of his contract. If he was capable of playing like last year I'm sure the coaching staff would enjoy the challenge of fitting him in the squad. But every week people post that Glass looks sore, I personally don't see it, but why not talk to him and see where he is at? Surely the club should would be foolish to dismiss the idea of any deals without contemplation while it's 3 months still to trade week.

I've asked a couple of times this year if those in the know about wafl form could name anyone playing kpd that is worthy of being picked up as there is a difference between being able to field a backline round 1 and having enough depth to cover us for the year.

Note that I said talk to Lake, not throw everything at getting him. Talking doesn't cost anything.

I admit my view of Brown is probably not as favorable as some on here, but right now he has shown potential and a tendency to get injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles speaking to Lake according to Aker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back