Unsolved Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Police have arrested a man in Italy over the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in their Easey Street home. He fled Australia in 2017 after he became aware he was a suspect.

The man fled to Greece and couldn’t be arrested because local laws meant charges must be laid within seven years of the offence.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.

EaseyStGregory.png

Police have waited those 15 years for him to leave Greece so he could be arrested. They will now seek to extradite him to Melbourne to face the charges.

A police spokesperson confirmed a 65-year-old dual citizen of Australia and Greece was arrested at an airport in Rome in the early hours on Friday.

For you russian bots , long unsolved double murder in Melbourne

Last edited by a moderator:
Our old place was different . If we didnt have a key - most times - the window next to the front door was left unlocked and we lifted it up and opened the door from there - late 70s/80s

And occasionally falling through said window

So are we now ruling this person out of the earlier disappearance of Garciacelay but including possibles NG and Kiporolou - both later?
i think they can definately proceed with the garciacelay one knowing there are no connections to easey street,it was only connected in the first place through john grant

im not familiar with the other 2

i think they can definately proceed with the garciacelay one knowing there are no connections to easey street,it was only connected in the first place through john grant

im not familiar with the other 2
Mentioned on page 1

Still, the window guy’s story never added up.

1727048676607.png

He claimed in went in through Susan’s window (the rearmost bedroom), into the hallway, checked the phone, then left by retracing the same route.

That’s all ok, apart from the fact that he saw (and even smelled) nothing. He was in hallway, facing both ways as he came and went.

Anyway, apparently the police thought it believable and, with this arrest now made (not this guy), they were very possibly right.

They lost the evidence for a few years though, this was discussed in the recent Easey Street podcast. Highly recommend BTW.

If they can locate lost evidence years later, there's still hope someone will stumble over Mr. Cruel's lost box of evidence.

Still, the window guy’s story never added up.

View attachment 2118969

He claimed in went in through Susan’s window (the rearmost bedroom), into the hallway, checked the phone, then left by retracing the same route.

That’s all ok, apart from the fact that he saw (and even smelled) nothing. He was in hallway, facing both ways as he came and went.

Anyway, apparently the police thought it believable and, with this arrest now made (not this guy), they were very possibly right.

The hallways are really dark, there's no window on the shared wall so the only light that might get through is from the bedrooms if the doors are open, even then not much. The bathroom at the end of the hallway doesn't even look like it has a window in it and the panel above the skinny front door wouldn't offer much light at all.

The offender was composed enough to clean up and wander through the house like he owned it, it would be interesting to know if he closed all the bedroom doors.

He went in through Bartlett's bedroom window, to the loungeroom to check the phone number and out again through the window.

Bartlett's bedroom window shared with a laneway.

I used to live in a single fronted terrace in Prahran with a similar floorplan and my bedroom window overlooked a laneway. The window was used a bit coming and going, sometimes I'd push my boyfriend out of it the next morning.

Friends would sometimes knock on it, if they needed something and it was real late.

No big deal I think.

Here's the laneway, easy as. The picket gates weren't there back in 1977.

View attachment 2118949

I understand a window was a common way of entry back then.

I just find it weird that this guy wasn’t a friend, but a salesperson who had no right to enter the premises so was basically conducting a home invasion, and during that when he would definitely have had vision of the end of hallway at some point, didn’t notice a body nor blood smeared all over the walls.

Not to mention a kid in the next room (though he seemed to be asleep most of the time).

Totally bizarre to fathom.

I understand a window was a common way of entry back then.

I just find it weird that this guy wasn’t a friend, but a salesperson who had no right to enter the premises so was basically conducting a home invasion, and during that when he would definitely have had vision of the end of hallway at some point, didn’t notice a body nor blood smeared all over the walls.

Not to mention a kid in the next room (though he seemed to be asleep most of the time).

Totally bizarre to fathom.

Oh, that's just his job. He was seeing Bartlett I think but it was a fairly recent connection, his name far as I can tell wasn't known for some time so he was called the Tobacco Salesman.

His name was mentioned in the Easey Street podcast which was the first time I'd heard it but I've forgotten what it was.

What did the suspect write in Greek 3 years ago?
Perry Kouroumblis
Hi Manolis, my phone number is xxxxxxxxxx, I'm not good at writing or sending yours to talk

my last post got removed,must be due to posting the phone number,but geez that name is very similar to gregorys fathers name,but i guess in greece there are plenty of manolis & the other name

Gregory's Dad's name is Manilos Margueritas (not sure of the spelling)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Manolis Kouroumlis

checked Tony and my old schoolmate diamonds friends list,no similar name,but Perry has this friend,has some reels out on a fishing boat,did i see somewhere that armstrongs greek man was a fisherman?

clutching i know

Yep, a fisherman from Naxos.

I have a lot of Greek friends from school but out of the western suburbs and none of these names are familiar.

Perry Kouroumblis
Hi Manolis, my phone number is xxxxxxxxxx, I'm not good at writing or sending yours to talk

my last post got removed,must be due to posting the phone number,but geez that name is very similar to gregorys fathers name,but i guess in greece there are plenty of manolis & the other name

Gregory's Dad's name is Manilos Margueritas (not sure of the spelling)

The surname is probably going to be Margaritis.

The hallways are really dark, there's no window on the shared wall so the only light that might get through is from the bedrooms if the doors are open, even then not much. The bathroom at the end of the hallway doesn't even look like it has a window in it and the panel above the skinny front door wouldn't offer much light at all.

The offender was composed enough to clean up and wander through the house like he owned it, it would be interesting to know if he closed all the bedroom doors.

Yep… still

I’d like to stand in that hallway even with the doors closed and see what it’s like.

I understand he was checking the number written on the phone, so must’ve been some level of light to see that (no mobile phones to light things up).

Walking (even if just a few steps) down that hallway and not seeing the blood and a body at the end of it still seems incomprehensible.

Yep… still

I’d like to stand in that hallway even with the doors closed and see what it’s like.

I understand he was checking the number written on the phone, so must’ve been some level of light to see that (no mobile phones to light things up).

Walking (even if just a few steps) down that hallway and not seeing the blood and a body at the end of it still seems incomprehensible.

Almost too ridiculous to be true.

Wouldn't surprise me if he did see the body but chickened out of reporting it to police initially as he'd just "broken in" to the house and would be the prime suspect. Then Police caught up with him, he initially gave the story he didn't see the body, which is the story that got released to the public. Police later scrutinised, he fessed up to seeing it but the police were able to rule him out of being the offender.

It'll be interesting to see what comes out about this guy from people who knew him in the 40-odd years from, say 1970-2010ish. There'll surely be a few stories, presumably there will be some hints as to whether he was regularly coming into contact with police post the Easey Street killings. I've read that he was a metal worker and ran a business from Bulleen and then Dandenong for 20+ years.

People will probably mock his brother's protestations of innocence, but it must be difficult to comprehend if someone that close to you hasn't been in any sort of trouble for nearly 50 years and is now arrested for such a horrific crime. I think it's hard to understand what that must be like and you'd naturally clutch on to the slightest shred of hope "He wouldn't have stayed in Australia, he wouldn't have kept the knife..." as 'proof' that he couldn't have done it. As I assume almost everyone is in some way or another, he appears to be a contrast: enough sense of self-preservation and cunning enough to get out of Dodge to a safe home country where he'll be protected, but in other ways reckless enough to consider a trip to Italy to be an acceptable risk and even maintaining a public Facebook profile. Interesting that the guy on his Facebook profile who's chastised him to update his profile photo in 2021 "It looks like you're still in Australia" also has a public Facebook (and is a word class cooker) and has posted a 7 news report about the breakthrough and of Tony Karoumblis being interviewed.

I've also read on another site an excerpt from a 1996 book that Perry Karoumblis (it mentions a youth nicknamed "Perry") who was known to police was questioned 'extensively' after the discovery of the knife, but that police considered that his unimpeachable alibis, the question of 'why would the murderer leave the murder weapon in the boot of his car when cruising around the neighbourhood of Easey Street several days after the murders?' and his horror when he understood why the police were so interested in the knife in his car meant his version was suitably convincing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsolved Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back