Updated Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Police have arrested a man in Italy over the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong and Susan Bartlett in their Easey Street home. He fled Australia in 2017 after he became aware he was a suspect.

The man fled to Greece and couldn’t be arrested because local laws meant charges must be laid within seven years of the offence.

The Easey Street murders are still unsolved.

EaseyStGregory.png

Police have waited those 15 years for him to leave Greece so he could be arrested. They will now seek to extradite him to Melbourne to face the charges.

A police spokesperson confirmed a 65-year-old dual citizen of Australia and Greece was arrested at an airport in Rome in the early hours on Friday.

For you russian bots , long unsolved double murder in Melbourne

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think "extraordinarily hard" is correct. It's more that most of the outgoing alerts are insignificant, apart from Family Law. It depends on what the originator of the alert wants done. The various FTRA, Wildlife, Vicpol etc. legislation allows for it to happen - it just rarely does.

If someone was suspected of exporting wildlife, then their bags would absolutely be dragged off the plane and searched. If Vicpol had an alert in relation to a murder case which said 'contact detective Bloggs', then Bloggs would consider the circumstances as to whether to allow travel.
Should have been clearer. Hard to hold and prevent from getting on a plane unless they grounds. As you rightly pointed out, wildlife is one case, but without the MXU running pre departure, or holding up the actual departure, it's difficult.

Vic Pol would need something stronger, but I do agree that at least having them as contact on alert to make that decision.

Outwards 219? :laughv1:

Should have been clearer. Hard to hold and prevent from getting on a plane unless they grounds. As you rightly pointed out, wildlife is one case, but without the MXU running pre departure, or holding up the actual departure, it's difficult.

Vic Pol would need something stronger, but I do agree that at least having them as contact on alert to make that decision.

Outwards 219? :laughv1:

Interesting discussion. You think Vicpol would need something stronger than suspected murder?

What if for example, police do have DNA from the Sharon Wills offender. They decide to test all the Sierra 7 and the next 20-odd suspects in the Mr. Cruel case.

24 of them agree to the test. 3 refuse the test, or say they will come back for a later appointment. A couple are known to regularly travel overseas. Would it be reasonable for the detectives to want to intercept one of those 3 at the airport, if they suddenly decided to head off overseas?

Someone said earlier, that in this case they were only testing to eliminate, rather than target. That is flawed and would lead to an attitude of "it won't be this one, it will be one of the other 119". To me, they were all suspected targets, until they were eliminated. I'm not saying they should have had PK on alert, but they certainly could have. They had the ability to do it quite easily, and the legal framework existed to support them doing it.

As I quoted in one of earlier posts; " “The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there,”

The offence was committed 47 years ago. Was the investigation conducted in line with best practices and procedure utilising the forefront of modern technology available at the time?

What legislation then applicable that guided that investigation? What was the political environment, the societal environment at the time that may have impacted the investigation?

It went into the cold case cupboard but obviously revisited at regular intervals given the odd piece of reporting (10 years later type)

I'd consider it plausable that the police would review the previous investigations with contemporaneous eyes taking into account changes to investigative current best practice in Policing standards nationally and internationally and current Victorian Statutes

So, on the 30th the anniversary of the deaths, the State Government announces a Reward, which indicates that VicPol have successfully lobbied the Minister to release extra funds. Obviously part of that went to an investment to DNA comparison testing.

2007; what was the legilsation, policy and procedures with were accepted by VicPol and the prececents set by the Courts relating to DNA testing?

There is no doubt that errors were made during during the investigation(s) but choosing to base a judgment on 2024 legislation, current investigative and technological best practice on the events of both 47 years ago and 17 years ago is a bit ingenuous

Critisize the cops for the errors they made in the context of time period they were made, rather than with 20/20 hindsight use current legislation, policies, and best practice to attack a complex investigation with a cast as big as Ben Hur

As I quoted in one of earlier posts; " “The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there,”

The offence was committed 47 years ago. Was the investigation conducted in line with best practices and procedure utilising the forefront of modern technology available at the time?

What legislation then applicable that guided that investigation? What was the political environment, the societal environment at the time that may have impacted the investigation?

It went into the cold case cupboard but obviously revisited at regular intervals given the odd piece of reporting (10 years later type)

I'd consider it plausable that the police would review the previous investigations with contemporaneous eyes taking into account changes to investigative current best practice in Policing standards nationally and internationally and current Victorian Statutes

So, on the 30th the anniversary of the deaths, the State Government announces a Reward, which indicates that VicPol have successfully lobbied the Minister to release extra funds. Obviously part of that went to an investment to DNA comparison testing.

2007; what was the legilsation, policy and procedures with were accepted by VicPol and the prececents set by the Courts relating to DNA testing?

There is no doubt that errors were made during during the investigation(s) but choosing to base a judgment on 2024 legislation, current investigative and technological best practice on the events of both 47 years ago and 17 years ago is a bit ingenuous

Critisize the cops for the errors they made in the context of time period they were made, rather than with 20/20 hindsight use current legislation, policies, and best practice to attack a complex investigation with a cast as big as Ben Hur

I think just about everyone would agree things were different in 1977. If Iddles hadn't done what he did, they probably never have his name on file to even consider DNA testing him.

The recent discussion has been around something that happened in 2017, hardly the dim, dark ages. The only relevant change since then, would be a "senior police officer" rather than a Magistrate, would have to approve him being held at the airport pending the DNA test.

Facebook does that to me all the time now. I'll click on someone's profile who's made a nuffy comment on some public page that I'm a member of and then there's a good chance they'll pop up as a person I may know, even though we have zero mutual friends. Kind of freaks me out a bit. I hope I'm not coming up on their lists...

Facebook does that to me all the time now. I'll click on someone's profile who's made a nuffy comment on some public page that I'm a member of and then there's a good chance they'll pop up as a person I may know, even though we have zero mutual friends. Kind of freaks me out a bit. I hope I'm not coming up on their lists...
Can't even stalk Facebook in peace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Updated Easey St Murders Collingwood * ARREST MADE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back