Toast Eat One Buckley Haters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well clearly we've gone from a Grand Final in 2011 to out in an elimination final in 2013...so we have gone downhill.

What I am saying however is that we have had a lot of individual improvement and have brought up a whole new list of players. What we need to do now is work on our skills and fitness and obviously keep the cattle on the park.

I think we are as well placed now as we were at the end of 2009. So much depth and good young players coming through.

I am keeping my fingers crossed we have another bumper trade and draft period because I think one or two players can make all the difference as they did in 09 when we got Jolly and Ball.

This year it could be Dal Santo and White for example. Or even trading aggressively for pick 1.

I like...

We aren't as far off as many are saying.

Need a better run with injuries, need to work on our fitness and need to sharpen our foot skills. With a bit more time off, we should be cherry ripe for the 2014 pre-season.

Kind of reminds me of 2009 when we were moving on the likes of O'Bree, Fraser, Lockyer, Licuria and Medhurst with a lot of young players replacing them.

Probably just need a boom recruit now and a good off-season and we will be right back in the hunt. Apart from hawthorn, we were competitive with all the best sides this year.
Tony Shaw reckons we are 2-3 years away. Why would he say that?

Nothing wrong with bucks. We beat a lot of good teams and sooner or later the young guys will be more consistent. We were barely off the top 4 even with some bad injuries.
Which good teams?
The only good teams we beat were Geelong and Sydney.
Although having said that most of the teams in the league are pretty average anyway, but still.

A vocal minority mean absolutely nothing when it comes to renewing his contract. Bucks is in for the long haul, and is making very good decisions for the long-term. Short-term success has no bearing on whether he will get re-appointed, because he will.

I'm going to love all the egg on everybody's face when we win our first flag under Bucks.:thumbsu:

Flattering to say the least.

We are miles off the top 4.

We don't look anywhere near it.

God I love big football knee jerk reactions. We lose to Gold Coast and its fire bucks... We beat essendon and Sydney and we are a chance to win the flag. On our good days we look very good. But when you play so many young kids you will inconsistent.

Which good teams?
The only good teams we beat were Geelong and Sydney.
Although having said that most of the teams in the league are pretty average anyway, but still.
Well we were 3rd out of teams against top 8 sides.

We beat... Richmond, Sydney, essendon*, Geelong, Carlton, port

A vocal minority mean absolutely nothing when it comes to renewing his contract. Bucks is in for long haul, and is making very good decisions for the long-term. Short-term success has no bearing on whether he will get re-appointed, because he will.

I'm going to love all the egg on everybody's face when we win our first flag under Bucks.:thumbsu:
I'd love to share your optimism, but Buckley is one of several variables in the equation. For example, what do we do about the skill weaknesses that have been glaringly obvious all year?

God I love big football knee jerk reactions. We lose to Gold Coast and its fire bucks... We beat essendon and Sydney and we are a chance to win the flag. On our good days we look very good. But when you play so many young kids you will inconsistent.

Well we were 3rd out of teams against top 8 sides.

We beat... Richmond, Sydney, essendon*, Geelong, Carlton, port
Okay Richmond and Carlton are pretty average and Essendon, well yeah.. we know the story there.
And I only recall Port beating us twice this year...
Unless I'm missing something, which I may be.

100% disagree, Buckley needs to get the team playing good consistent football, this year has been a mess, if he can't improve the team he won't be getting a new contract, Eddie's a big fan of Bucks but he's no idiot.

How was it a mess?

If winning 14 games is mess, than what is a good season? 18+?

How was it a mess?

If winning 14 games is mess, than what is a good season? 18+?

Even our wins were messy IMO, nothing like the football i think we're capable of, teams kicked some bloody big scores against us this year, and i don't recall us belting anyone like good teams do, we certainly didn't belt anyone of note anyway.

I'd love to share your optimism, but Buckley is one of several variables in the equation. For example, what do we do about the skill weaknesses that have been glaringly obvious all year?

We draft kids that have a booming leg, therefore utilising the great recruiting team that we have at the club.

We can also trade or sign free agents that have these skills.

Its not all doom and gloom, particularly when you're the biggest club in the land in which the landscape of the game has been completely changed because of free agency.

I said it when it was brought in, and i will say it again. Free agency will give us the ability to further remain relevant and to quickly rebuild.

A powerhouse like Collingwood doesn't miss on free agents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A vocal minority mean absolutely nothing when it comes to renewing his contract. Bucks is in for long haul, and is making very good decisions for the long-term. Short-term success has no bearing on whether he will get re-appointed, because he will.

Couldn't agree more with the bolded, bar the Lynch recruitment. I think Bucks would need to fail badly next year to not get re-appointed. The future is completely uncertain though, we are a long way off the pace and I can't see us easily bridging the gap or improving at the rate some of our competitors will.

We draft kids that have a booming leg, therefore utilising the great recruiting team that we have at the club.

We can also trade or sign free agents that have these skills.

Its not all doom and gloom, particularly when you're the biggest club in the land in which the landscape of the game has been completely changed because of free agency.

I said it when it was brought in, and i will say it again. Free agency will give us the ability to further remain relevant and to quickly rebuild.

A powerhouse like Collingwood doesn't miss on free agents.

We missed this year.

Even our wins were messy IMO, nothing like the football i think we're capable of, teams kicked some bloody big scores against us this year, and i don't recall us belting anyone like good teams do, we certainly didn't belt anyone of note anyway.

Have you considered the possibility that our current list are not as good as you think they are?

Have you considered the possibility that our current list are not as good as you think they are?

The core of the group is there, we have 3 superstar mids who are backed up by quality, we have a superstar KF, we have a very good swinging KF-KB, we have a solid back 6, i'll say for certain the quality of cattle we had on the park Saturday night far outweighed Ports.

We missed this year.

Did we?

We went after Lynch. We got him

We went after Young. We got him.

We went after Cloke. We resigned him.

Perhaps you're mistaking us for Carlton, but we got who we wanted. We discuss the merits of Lynch and the disappointing injuries that have come with Young, but we got our man.

Add to it that we got 2 1sts for Dawes and Wellingham, we had a great off season at the time.

That, will continue going forward.

Did we?

We went after Lynch. We got him

We went after Young. We got him.

We went after Cloke. We resigned him.

Perhaps you're mistaking us for Carlton, but we got who we wanted. We discuss the merits of Lynch and the disappointing injuries that have come with Young, but we got our man.

Add to it that we got 2 1sts for Dawes and Wellingham, we had a great off season at the time.

That, will continue going forward.

I meant we missed as in them having an impact, Youngs injury issues are hardly new.

Buyer beware.

I meant we missed as in them having an impact, Youngs injury issues are hardly new.

Buyer beware.

Lynch has been crap, but wasn't any worse than Dawes so the net effect is at worst break even and better when you consider we got a 1st for him.

Young was disappointing because of injuries, but we added a player of need who has a skill we desperately need - a big driving kick. Hopefully we see more of him next season.

Those 2 didn't deliver to date, but going forward, just like we were able to pry these guys away from other clubs as well as their incumbent, that will be the case going forward.

The perks of being the biggest club in the land.

The core of the group is there, we have 3 superstar mids who are backed up by quality, we have a superstar KF, we have a very good swinging KF-KB, we have a solid back 6, i'll say for certain the quality of cattle we had on the park Saturday night far outweighed Ports.

I am not disputing that we have the core of a good side or that we should have beaten Port. I am just saying that you need to consider that the performance of the coach is not the only reason for where the team finished.

Okay Richmond and Carlton are pretty average and Essendon, well yeah.. we know the story there.
And I only recall Port beating us twice this year...
Unless I'm missing something, which I may be.
We beat port at the start of the year..

We beat 6 of the top 8 and lost to hawks and freo who are both in preliminary finals. People need to get a grip we will be back up there next year.

Lynch has been crap, but wasn't any worse than Dawes so the net effect is at worst break even and better when you consider we got a 1st for him.

Young was disappointing because of injuries, but we added a player of need who has a skill we desperately need - a big driving kick. Hopefully we see more of him next season.

Those 2 didn't deliver to date, but going forward, just like we were able to pry these guys away from other clubs as well as their incumbent, that will be the case going forward.

The perks of being the biggest club in the land.

I'm hopefull Young can get his body right, i've written off Lynch and Russel though.

Regarding Lynch-Dawes, the forward-ruck experiment has failed, it's obviously much harder than most thought, the only ones who seem capable of it are Roughy (superstar) or ruckmen who go forward, not Forwards who ruck.

I am not disputing that we have the core of a good side or that we should have beaten Port. I am just saying that you need to consider that the performance of the coach is not the only reason for where the team finished.

It's one of the reasons though, i love Bucks like most of us do, but he needs to make his mark in 2014, most successful coaches show themselves within 3 years.

We beat port at the start of the year..

We beat 6 of the top 8 and lost to hawks and freo who are both in preliminary finals. People need to get a grip we will be back up there next year.
Which round and what was the score?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back