Ebert or Walker?

Remove this Banner Ad

TORRES_9

Rookie
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If runours are true we have an interest in both these players.

Brad Ebert is a big bodied midfielder, but has questionable disposal by foot. Watching him at West Coast he seems to have played most of his footy on a wing or an outside midfielder which doesnt seem to suit his strengths.

Could we turn him into an inside midfielder?

We cant possibly field a midfield of Cassisi, K.Cornes, Logan, Thomas and Ebert - I feel we need to reduce the number of one paced, poor kicking midfielders rather than increase them.

I like Walkers size, pace and flexibility, but there are questions over his durability.

I dont think trading away our first pick for either is a wise move, but 2 later picks would be ok.

Brad Ebert is a big bodied midfielder, but has questionable disposal by foot.

We cant possibly field a midfield of Cassisi, K.Cornes, Logan, Thomas and Ebert - I feel we need to reduce the number of one paced, poor kicking midfielders rather than increase them.

If his name was Jones would we even be talking about him? :rolleyes:

... that being said - Ebert I'd pick ... Walker has suspect shoulders - we have sal to manage - dont need another - alytho they could rehab together? :D

If runours are true we have an interest in both these players.

Brad Ebert is a big bodied midfielder, but has questionable disposal by foot. Watching him at West Coast he seems to have played most of his footy on a wing or an outside midfielder which doesnt seem to suit his strengths.

Could we turn him into an inside midfielder?

I like Walkers size, pace and flexibility, but there are questions over his durability.

I dont think trading away our first pick for either is a wise move, but 2 later picks would be ok.

Exactly right. To even think about having a midfield of so many same as types is insane.

If we went for one - pick 16 shouldn't be an option at all for either - then it must be Walker as he offers more of what we need. Ebert just gives us more of everything that's wrong with our midfield.

I would really want to move on a guy like Thomas if we got Ebert, or convert Cassisi into a full-time half forward.

No interest in Walker at all.

Strong interest in keeping our picks.

I would really want to move on a guy like Thomas if we got Ebert, or convert Cassisi into a full-time half forward.

No interest in Walker at all.

Strong interest in keeping our picks.

Move on Matt Thomas?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? Please tell me your joking

Ebert.

From what I can tell, both players are similar size wise, although Walker has a bit of a weight advantage which he should for a 24yr old.

Ebert has had a baptism of fire in West Coast's midfield. As I said in the trade thread, I believe his kicking would improve quite a bit in our midfield. He has so many positive attributes that I would happily part with a round 1 pick for him. As a 20 year old, he is the perfect age for our list. I have no concerns about his pace.

I'm not against drafting Walker. Ideally I'd like us to get both Ebert and Walker to boost our midfield. Walker is a more mature body than Ebert, but IIRC has a similar number of should recos as Sal. Would not give a first rounder, but I could live with giving a second and third rounder for him.

I'm obviously not fussed about trading our picks away. This is based on a firm belief that we have done the bulk of our drafting and now need to consolidate and develop. Players like Ebert and Walker fit that bill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Move on Matt Thomas?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? Please tell me your joking

Why not? Thomas isn't that good.

I would suspect alot of our players, if they don't put up this year eg Thomas, Logan, Rodan, Westhoff, Salter, Gray they could be moved on or in the poo.

seems to me alot of us are forgetting we missed the FINALS 3 years in a row.

Despite all the "if his name wasn't Ebert we wouldn't be interested" comments that always come up regarding Brad, the truth is we would be interested in him if his name was Brad Jones because:

a. He is a young South Australian taken with a first round pick and with undenialable talent ; and
b. He has established himself as a regular AFL player already.

Hell, any discussion about any young former SA player invokes immediate attention from this, and the Crows, board. If his name was Jones (or Butler, Hurn, Waters, Russell, Makie etc), not Ebert, then we'd still talk about him.

Who'd I prefer? TBH I think Brad would be a much safer bet - he has achieved more at AFL level than Walker already (despite Walker's strong potential he hasn't ever really delivered much due to injury) and Ebert is clearly a safer bet in terms of be less injury prone.

On balance, I'd take the safer bet. I would be more than happy to see a trade for Motlop and perhaps a later pick for Ebert.

Notwithstanding the relative picks used to draft the individuals (which is a terrible consideration in someone's trade value several years later), I see Walker as more of a suitable replacement/substitute for Krakouer. That is, as a relatively young player with high potential who hasn't yet been able to deliver to that promise due to injury and circumstance. Not a safe bet, but a bet worth taking... I'd be happy with trading him for the GC comp pick collected for Krakouer.

I quite like Cassisi, K. Cornes, Logan and Matt Thomas as players, but they cant all be in the same side.

We need to trim those 4 down to 2 in my opinion.

Why not? Thomas isn't that good.

I would suspect alot of our players, if they don't put up this year eg Thomas, Logan, Rodan, Westhoff, Salter, Gray they could be moved on or in the poo.

seems to me alot of us are forgetting we missed the FINALS 3 years in a row.

So you don't want an enforcer in the side? Based on that, Michael Wilson wouldn't get a game if you were in charge. He wasn't fast or highly skilled, it was his hard work and doing the 1 %ers that made him a great player.

Matt Thomas is the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ebert or Walker?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back