• Yes

Votes: 186 78.2%
  • No

Votes: 44 18.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Going back to the footy show sums Eddie up. He has no new ideas, none re his career and none re the Pies. I don't care about his career that is his business and he has been a huge success over all. But when it comes to the Pies, it matters, he has done nothing to benefit the club for years. As Kennett said if you can't do what needs to be done in 6 years, you are not good enough anyway.

In a way this could be a good thing ...

... if he succeeds on TFS, if he's still got the magic, then that validates that he's still in touch (Being in touch with a TV viewing audience isn't too dissimilar to being in touch with a footy club membership base?)

But if TFS flops, then that would surely speed up his demise at Collingwood?

None of us really know whether Ed continues to be up to it at Collingwood or not. He wouldn't even know himself. But what we're after is some kind of resolution, and TFS might help that a little?

In a way this could be a good thing ...

... if he succeeds on TFS, if he's still got the magic, then that validates that he's still in touch (Being in touch with a TV viewing audience isn't too dissimilar to being in touch with a footy club membership base?)

But if TFS flops, then that would surely speed up his demise at Collingwood?

None of us really know whether Ed continues to be up to it at Collingwood or not. He wouldn't even know himself. But what we're after is some kind of resolution, and TFS might help that a little?

His stint as 9 CEO tells you enough.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tv--r...1156817099211.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

I wouldn't hang him for that. That was over 10 years ago, and involved him in a role (CEO of a media organisation) that isn't so connected to his position as President of a footy club.

There's an incident involving Jessica Rowe that hints Ed might not always operate in a way that modern leaders should.

Back in the late 90s Ed was a breath of fresh air for the club. He took over a stale leadership that had not moved with the times.

Fast forward to today, and Ed is no longer "fresh"; an argument could be formed that he is stale.

That's ok, freshness is not a mandatory prerequisite if we were confident that Ed's board could steer us out of the hole we are in. I'm not confident that is the case.

I wouldn't hang him for that. That was over 10 years ago, and involved him in a role (CEO of a media organisation) that isn't so connected to his position as President of a footy club.

What was interesting in that article was the jobs for the boys, autocratic style, binary thinking of your with or against us, rewarding allies in roles they're not experienced in whilst banishing those not seen as loyal, backing his judgement and not listening to others. It's the same criticisms we're hearing about 10 years on.

There's an incident involving Jessica Rowe that hints Ed might not always operate in a way that modern leaders should.

The pattern of behaviour (Rowe + Caro) is more concerning than the isolated incident.

I hear you brother, but when people like Donald Trump get elected I do wonder whether it's us who are out of touch with modern leadership?

If that's the way things are then I'd rather stay out of touch. (Suspect you and me both)

That's ok, freshness is not a mandatory prerequisite if we were confident that Ed's board could steer us out of the hole we are in. I'm not confident that is the case.

The world changes so much. People need to change and re-invent themselves to remain relevant ...

... or otherwise they're condemned to a life of being up on stage and singing "acky breaky heart" to an ever aging audience.

Last edited:
What was interesting in that article was the jobs for the boys, autocratic style, binary thinking of your with or against us, rewarding allies in roles they're not experienced in whilst banishing those not seen as loyal, backing his judgement and not listening to others. It's the same criticisms we're hearing about 10 years on.

Probably the most poignant was this bit ...

Perhaps cognisant of this, McGuire doesn't want any part of the endless examination. "The Prime Minister doesn't have this sort of scrutiny; I'm just about doing my job and answering to John Alexander and James Packer," he told The Age.

Going back to the footy show sums Eddie up. He has no new ideas, none re his career and none re the Pies. I don't care about his career that is his business and he has been a huge success over all. But when it comes to the Pies, it matters, he has done nothing to benefit the club for years. As Kennett said if you can't do what needs to be done in 6 years, you are not good enough anyway.

I agree, but for different reasons.

McGuire media is producing TFS so there's a clear conflict of interest there. That he would willingly involve himself in that manner indicates just how out of touch he is with the corporate world in 2018.

Will it succeed? I honestly don't care because I haven't watched the show in a decade (it frustrates me that you just can't escape it), but is it in the best interests of our club? Definitely not. It's yet another distraction for a man that has slipped in his role as the president of our club!

FWIW you know those comments on him working on something, this is it. Ed will view this as an opportunity to get back to the glory days of his presidency and spruik the club as he once did at every turn on the Collingwood show. It's frustrating to say the least.

The great irony is if we start winning games it will be assumed people like Ed are doing their roles better.

Wins and Losses is the ultimate marker

McGuire is re-creating the Cwood version of Circus Maximus. The Empire's decay is visible to everyone except the Emperor who is going around in circles at a faster and faster rate. Supporters of other clubs must think this is the greatest entertainment in town. All appointments to the inner circle are from a slightly wider circle of fervent, uncritical admirers. When was the last time Collingwood appointed a senior executive or head coach following an exhaustive selection process?

McGuire media is producing TFS ...

Is that true? Well that might explain things. Channel 9 probably threatened to axe it and Ed has then stepped back in to save his bacon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that true? Well that might explain things. Channel 9 probably threatened to axe it and Ed has then stepped back in to save his bacon.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...8/news-story/83b4b3ca5f946f1109c78eef30a06dc1

It will return on August 10. McGuire Media will assist in the show’s production.

Hutchy and Pickers hinted at McGuire media being more involved than assisting with the production moving forward this morning on Off The Bench. Although that could just be a disgruntled former host and his mate talking about it.

How much does it cost to be a voting member at Collingwood Football Club?

To my knowledge the lowest form of membership with voting rights is a social club membership. Not sure on the price though. I'm having similar thoughts to your own.

1983, John Cahill?

And even that was a sham. McAlister tried to get Kennedy across, but the board stiffed him, so they advertised the job in the papers, even though the board had already decided on John Cahill. But Cahill didn't even bother applying, so they sent Len Thompson to SA with a chequebook to make him change his mind...

And even that was a sham. McAlister tried to get Kennedy across, but the board stiffed him, so they advertised the job in the papers, even though the board had already decided on John Cahill. But Cahill didn't even bother applying, so they sent Len Thompson to SA with a chequebook to make him change his mind...
Yes they had Kennedy he agreed, board stuffed it.
Then Kennedy was to hand over to Matthews * that was the plan.

(Matthews or don Scott at the time)

This was during the time we lost 8-15 mill odd dollars (depends on what articles or financials you look at) for the pubs fiasco.

He admitted he took his eye off the ball & then threw Arocca under the bus.

So now he's trying to "rebuild" the club by taking on another role (TFS)?

Seems to me he thinks going back to 1995, when things worked, will work again.

I sported a rat tail in 1985, I don't have one now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumped Eddie adamant he will lead club through a rebuild

Back