Eddie goes bang

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain why we give them this charity?

Because it works in our best interests.

There are 11 home games and 11 away games a season.

If we can lock in one of those away games every season to be played at our home ground (IIRC Melbourne are the only team who play every home game at the MCG?) surely that's something that works in our favour? Particularly given that Melbourne have been generally rubbish for as long as anyone can remember? ... Can you name any other team over the last decade or two who you'd rather lock in an away fixture against? And we can claim benevolence ... Probably a bunch of favours coming our way behind the scenes? And it makes our veteran supporters happy - playing against the old foes on the Queens Birthday and we don't have to spend a home game to do it.

Not quite as advantageous as our Swans arrangement had been - given that we have to play five interstate games a season, let's lock in one game every year against an interstate team only 90 minutes flying bus ride away and play them at a ground that is more advantageous to us than to them? Master stroke of fixture engineering on Collingwood's part. Sadly that one that has now been shutdown.

Around five teams have to make two trips to Perth every H&A season. Can you ever remember Collingwood being one of them?

Last edited:

To help a financially struggling club increase their revenue through a guaranteed blockbuster every year off the back of a huge team supporter base, hence why Melbourne treat it as their GF. In return for this, the AFL gives Collingwood 1 less interstate game a year and that's the reason why we only play 5 interstate games instead of 6.

Has the AFL said we get 1 less interstate game because we give money to Melbourne or is it just assumed

Has the AFL said we get 1 less interstate game because we give money to Melbourne or is it just assumed

I've heard a club official say in an open forum that the Queens Birthday thing works in our favour. They wouldn't go into specifics - and even if they did, it was clear that the explanation wasn't something that should be in the public domain.

It is something that Ed mentioned many years ago and was at the annual general meeting from recollection, but I'm sure it has also been reported in the media too. There didn't seem to anything secretive or underhanded about the arrangement.

It is something that Ed mentioned many years ago and was at the annual general meeting from recollection, ...

Yes, that's where I had heard it too.

... but I'm sure it has also been reported in the media too. There didn't seem to anything secretive or underhanded about the arrangement.

My takeaway was that there was a secretive element to it , but that it wasn't at all underhanded.

Ahhhhh Gary Lyon 2008?

"The symbolism of today shouldn't be lost on anyone," Lyon said.

"I think you will enjoy the fact that whilst tonight is the rebirth of this great footy club, our greatest rival is in disarray.

"The Collingwood footy club is going down the plughole as the Melbourne footy club re-establishes itself as a power."

2 years later we were premiers. :)

Gaz must have been at the height of his issues in 08.

This fallacy of a failed succession plan needs to be put to bed, Ed is bang on when he says that decision produced a flag within 2 years.

Only Haw Geel Syd have won a flag in the last decade with us thankfully the lone exception to that dominance, and you can thank the succession plan for it!

Unless you hear these sort of things in context with tone you really shouldn't bother responding unless you are willing to get the audio off Triple M first and form an educated opinion.

It was amusing but the same time as it was being said I knew the article, this thread and the usual crap responses would follow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That 'failed' succession plan didn't just put a bomb under Malthouse who went out and got Jolly and Ball but it placed one Nathan Buckley as the forward coach in 2010, what a strange coincidence we won the flag with our forward press the year he was appointed.

Yeah big failure that succession plan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie goes bang

Remove this Banner Ad

Back