EDFL "A" Grade - 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word from Taylors Lakes re recruiting.
If they were smart they would accept they are going straight down and save there money.

i agree colts, TL will struggle. Although its a Pretty shallow view that TL save there $$$ though. it wasnt that long ago teams like greenvale and marby came up from B grade who have turned into A grade powerhouse's. Let alone what OAK park achieved last year. I guess time will tell. Although from what I saw in last years GF i think they will at least mix it with bottom few teams. . Judging by your philosphy everyone bar top 5 teams should take the philosphy and save there $$$. Thats not the philosphy that has made the EDFL one of the stringest metro comps.

True and more to go yet, coach and committee still not have contacted players about their futures and have no idea some have signed with other clubs.
Very sad situation up there unless they have got a heap of recruits they are not telling anyone about. Seems they all want to make their mark on the club which will backfire!!!

Yeah there's something wrong with that club, there have been some really good local players come through there and play else where now.

Brent Gordon, David Saliba, Daniel Nolan, Shane Jacobs, Adam Turner, Jimmy Turner, Dale Piggott, Shaun Gordon, Heath Woodhouse, Paul Oneil, prob even more. Also some under 18s gone

Yeah there's something wrong with that club, there have been some really good local players come through there and play else where now.

Brent Gordon, David Saliba, Daniel Nolan, Shane Jacobs, Adam Turner, Jimmy Turner, Dale Piggott, Shaun Gordon, Heath Woodhouse, Paul Oneil, prob even more. Also some under 18s gone
Lots of rumours going around at present! The interesting thing about the rumours is the destination these players are reported to be heading in! If they are going and they are as good as we are made to believe why are they going to B Grade clubs and not getting snapped up by A grade clubs? Food for thought!

dropped into craigieburns training last night numbers very dissapointing,about 30 players there which included the under 18s.paul oneil has walked out and is playing somewhere in geelong,he will be missed,also heard a couple of high profile players will be following.no one wants to play under the current coach,the president is just sitting there and watching all this unfold.has a club ever in this league pulled the pin half way through a season,a big chance of it happening this season:(

dropped into craigieburns training last night numbers very dissapointing,about 30 players there which included the under 18s.paul oneil has walked out and is playing somewhere in geelong,he will be missed,also heard a couple of high profile players will be following.no one wants to play under the current coach,the president is just sitting there and watching all this unfold.has a club ever in this league pulled the pin half way through a season,a big chance of it happening this season:(

mate we get it you hate Barnard. Get off the clubs back. You've left so move on!! Something needed to change. The club is bigger that any "individuals"

mate we get it you hate Barnard. Get off the clubs back. You've left so move on!! Something needed to change. The club is bigger that any "individuals"

I'll be the first to admit I don't know the inner workings of CFC. Whilst I agree that the club is bigger than any individuals, wouldn't you say that Barnard the "individual" is the reason all these players are leaving. I understand about trying to build a good culture, but surely with all these players(I am told some are CFC through and through) leaving, the club must take a good hard look at itself and maybe go down a different direction for the coach. I can't think of another coach who has put half his team offside 2 months before the start of the season.

Anyway, thought it might be good to stir some debate about the ladder

Marby - Too strong once again
Keilor - Some handy recruits to go with a good list
GV - Dropped a few players but will still be thereabouts
OP - Good honest team who play for each other
Abers - A couple of high profile recruits mentioned on this site, hopefully they can have a good year and possibly crack the top 4.
Strathmore - Keeping there cards close to their chest. I think 4-5-6 could be in any order.
AH - Think they have picked up a few good players like Harding, they will surprise a few teams but i think the top 6 might be settled.
Douttas - Havent done much this off season but i think they will pick up enough points with Barham at the helm.
Taylors Lakes - Again, dont know much about them but i think they will pick up a few games with the De souza boys leading the way.
Craigieburn - Im sorry but I just cant see them winning enough games to stay up, they have lost a heap of good seasoned EDFL A grade players this year.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know the inner workings of CFC. Whilst I agree that the club is bigger than any individuals, wouldn't you say that Barnard the "individual" is the reason all these players are leaving. I understand about trying to build a good culture, but surely with all these players(I am told some are CFC through and through) leaving, the club must take a good hard look at itself and maybe go down a different direction for the coach. I can't think of another coach who has put half his team offside 2 months before the start of the season.

Anyway, thought it might be good to stir some debate about the ladder

Marby - Too strong once again
Keilor - Some handy recruits to go with a good list
GV - Dropped a few players but will still be thereabouts
OP - Good honest team who play for each other
Abers - A couple of high profile recruits mentioned on this site, hopefully they can have a good year and possibly crack the top 4.
Strathmore - Keeping there cards close to their chest. I think 4-5-6 could be in any order.
AH - Think they have picked up a few good players like Harding, they will surprise a few teams but i think the top 6 might be settled.
Douttas - Havent done much this off season but i think they will pick up enough points with Barham at the helm.
Taylors Lakes - Again, dont know much about them but i think they will pick up a few games with the De souza boys leading the way.
Craigieburn - Im sorry but I just cant see them winning enough games to stay up, they have lost a heap of good seasoned EDFL A grade players this year.

Good effort trying to stir up some debate, but maybe just sit the next couple of plays out because your ramblings are nearly as bad as the dribble you speak every Saturday night :p.

i am not a barnard hater,maybe you can shed some light on why all these players are leaving your club ,what is it, is the water bad up there.or does the truth really hurt

Many clubs need a culture change - in saying this it is how you go about it that will make the club stronger. Is the CB Executive strong surely the club is not driven by the coach or president on their own, if so a train wreck will happen. Have a look at DS & where they are now. They let Barnes run his race & now are paying the price. Surely all clubs need to look at their executives & make sure they are strong and in control of where the club is going. Supporters often forget the importance of their executives and the work they do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If all of these players are so good then why have they all left to play a lower level of football ? Not one of them are still playing A grade. You would think at the average age of mid 20's they would just about be in there prime ? Thoughts ?

My thoughts don't necessarily reflect on Craigieburn as a club as I have no knowledge of how good, bad or indifferent they might be.

Unfortunately the only answer that I can come up with is that $ rules these days. Players are compromising the quality of football, getting the best out of themselves, good coaching, good environments etc. for the sake of a few extra bucks.

For example I can't believe some of the quality players that should probably still be playing at VFL level yet are playing with crappy B Grade clubs on terrible grounds.

Perhaps my beef is with the system rather than the players. How can very good players get paid $300 playing at Willy and then get $600 at Pacco?

My thoughts don't necessarily reflect on Craigieburn as a club as I have no knowledge of how good, bad or indifferent they might be.

Unfortunately the only answer that I can come up with is that $ rules these days. Players are compromising the quality of football, getting the best out of themselves, good coaching, good environments etc. for the sake of a few extra bucks.

For example I can't believe some of the quality players that should probably still be playing at VFL level yet are playing with crappy B Grade clubs on terrible grounds.

Perhaps my beef is with the system rather than the players. How can very good players get paid $300 playing at Willy and then get $600 at Pacco?

I agree with your comments. But in my humble opinion all of this stems all the way back to the ridiculous money that got thrown around a few years back when Marby started there run. Proud clubs such as Keilor and Grennvale(and more recntly aberfeldie) reliase this is what has to be done to have a crack at the title. And sadly it has filtered its way down to B grade as they are so desperate to get up to A grade. It can be argued that EDFL A grade is argueable one of the strongest if not that stongest metro comp but really is it sustainable. I know this topic has been discussed over and over but something has to give. I agree though - its more the system than the players as clubs are throwing so much at these guys its hard for them to say no.

I agree with your comments. But in my humble opinion all of this stems all the way back to the ridiculous money that got thrown around a few years back when Marby started there run. Proud clubs such as Keilor and Grennvale(and more recntly aberfeldie) reliase this is what has to be done to have a crack at the title. And sadly it has filtered its way down to B grade as they are so desperate to get up to A grade. It can be argued that EDFL A grade is argueable one of the strongest if not that stongest metro comp but really is it sustainable. I know this topic has been discussed over and over but something has to give. I agree though - its more the system than the players as clubs are throwing so much at these guys its hard for them to say no.

You've still got to be a good club and find a balance else you're absolutely right it won't be sustainable. And you can have all the $$$ in the world but does not guarantee success.

To be fair, the spending started before Marby, I mean Strathmore, Keilor and Greenvale and even Douttas, Avondale and Abers in the early 2000's were spending big. One thing about Marby is that they know exactly where to spend it.

The harsh reality is that you either adapt or face the consequences. It's the system we are stuck with and the EDFL will hopefully bring in a points system that requires a certain amount of home-growns to play but until then the madness will continue.

Were you living under a rock prior to 2007 mate ? Other clubs were spending money long before Marby, they were just smarter with there recruiting and it's paid off.

Were you living under a rock prior to 2007 mate ? Other clubs were spending money long before Marby, they were just smarter with there recruiting and it's paid off.
You're right clubs have been buying players services for a while but not until Marby has anyone really gone out and bought a whole side, which to their credit has certainly paid off for them (3 flags in 4 years) but at the same time it does make a mockery of the term local footy.

You're right clubs have been buying players services for a while but not until Marby has anyone really gone out and bought a whole side, which to their credit has certainly paid off for them (3 flags in 4 years) but at the same time it does make a mockery of the term local footy.

Not enough credit has been given to Marby , and a lot of people think that money can just buy a premership.
Sure having the right backers help but getting the RIGHT mix of players is tge secret which Marby have been the best at doing.
plenty of other teams over the years have spent big bucks but could not win premerships.
it just does not happen .
There have been quite a few smart personal behind the success.
Go Marby will give it another shake again this year with some good recruiting and mix of players.

Not enough credit has been given to Marby , and a lot of people think that money can just buy a premership.
Sure having the right backers help but getting the RIGHT mix of players is tge secret which Marby have been the best at doing.
plenty of other teams over the years have spent big bucks but could not win premerships.
it just does not happen .
There have been quite a few smart personal behind the success.
Go Marby will give it another shake again this year with some good recruiting and mix of players.
No doubt about it mate, Marby have done really well for themselves and will more then likely continue to do so. Obviously it's not just a matter of handing out cash and winning but a lot of hardwork by people associated with the club.
My gripe isn't with Marby but with the way local footy is going in general with sides running around with very few/no former juniors.

It is poorly run clubs that take the monetary situation and whinge.
A football club has a duty to spend what it raises in the community and to put in place its plans for the the next ten years.
If they raise the cash they can spend the cash. And they should.
It is clubs, and this rings true for all competitions, that committees spend more than they earn, thus earning terrible reputations that spread and the cycle starts that they have to spend more to obtain players because players what to play in successful teams not terrible teams with terrible committees.
Having said that different natures in humans mean that some players are loyal to the death and others are money hungry to the death. This is what makes up the world.
So don't get jacked off at the club that pays the most, because they raise the most.
Don't get jacked off at the player that gets $3300.00 a game. It takes two to agree to a deal.And he will hit you lace out every time.
Don't get jacked off that your side gets beaten by 10-25 goals every time they play a powerhouse, enlist on your committee and do something about getting even and better.
Love the player that has been with your club since under 12's because he is a true superstar, even if he plays 8 games for the year and starts on the bench in the magoos. Passion.
For he puts in the cash over the bar through the raffles, attends all the functions and pays his membership to help his club raise the money so that he can train and maybe play with an ex AFL Player, and be involved in a flag.
All power to the clubs that are successful and all power to the ones that are trying to beat them because that is what makes up competition.
Good luck to you all and just worry about what you can do for your club not what other people are doing for theirs.

A football club has a duty to spend what it raises in the community and to put in place its plans for the the next ten years.
It is clubs, and this rings true for all competitions, that committees spend more than they earn, thus earning terrible reputations that spread and the cycle starts that they have to spend more to obtain players because players what to play in successful teams not terrible teams with terrible committees.
Having said that different natures in humans mean that some players are loyal to the death and others are money hungry to the death. This is what makes up the world.
So don't get jacked off at the club that pays the most, because they raise the most.
Don't get jacked off at the player that gets $3300.00 a game. It takes two to agree to a deal.And he will hit you lace out every time.
Don't get jacked off that your side gets beaten by 10-25 goals every time they play a powerhouse, enlist on your committee and do something about getting even and better.
Love the player that has been with your club since under 12's because he is a true superstar, even if he plays 8 games for the year and starts on the bench in the magoos. Passion.
For he puts in the cash over the bar through the raffles, attends all the functions and pays his membership to help his club raise the money so that he can train and maybe play with an ex AFL Player, and be involved in a flag.
All power to the clubs that are successful and all power to the ones that are trying to beat them because that is what makes up competition.
Good luck to you all and just worry about what you can do for your club not what other people are doing for theirs.

Mate that was so well spoken , I had tears in my eyes.

Got no problem with clubs spending money from there sponsors and from behind the bar, but what gets me is all clubs charging there juniors around 400 bucks a year just to play footy, how much of that money goes into the seniors pockets???

Got no problem with clubs spending money from there sponsors and from behind the bar, but what gets me is all clubs charging there juniors around 400 bucks a year just to play footy, how much of that money goes into the seniors pockets???

Must admit that seems to be the common theme amongst the blokes I know down your way who have kids playing juniors at EDFL clubs. $400 times say 25 kids in one team is $10k, multiply that by the big numbers of junior teams some clubs have and I cant believe it cost's upward of $70-80k a year to run the junior arm of any club :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back