EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

And how do you know this information?
Fab has always been unreliable and known to change clubs every year. Cavka is a gun and should be playing premier. Not sure they have any other losses and announced a few that will be senior players. Their side last year was reasonable so think they should be ok. A few other clubs appear to be in a worse position.
Plus need to be careful with your spending as it’s a dead year really. Deer Park won’t lose a game and no one will get within 40 points of them. Dominate ruckman and some absolute star mids that would be comparable to premier midfielders in all honesty.
Castello not playing??

Amen. Don’t forget they permitted a known thief on their coaching staff for a number of years.
With clubs struggling to get volunteers and the financial pressures of running a club I believe that we need to have more information about this known thief to ensure that his antics aren’t being used at any other clubs.
Name and shame I say

With clubs struggling to get volunteers and the financial pressures of running a club I believe that we need to have more information about this known thief to ensure that his antics aren’t being used at any other clubs.
Name and shame I say
There was a fb page about him.
Funniest thing was the fb page creators’ son actually played for Tullamarine a few years after calling him out.

Season 2023 in this division seems like an absolute mess…

Deer Park taking the Pi$$.

WM seem to be on their knees.
Glenroy seem to be on their knees no recruits and heavily lost players.
KP have only lost players coming up to this division.
Moonee Valley - where are they?

Could be a season where the top half the Division 2 clubs could beat the bottom half of Division 1.

Also RE Westmeadows debt- if players haven’t been paid for 2 years what happened after year 1 when they weren’t paid? Something doesn’t add up. A 5k release fee per player is also nonsense.
What Should deer park do win a flag and then be under prepared in 24..they are too smart for that

What Should deer park do win a flag and then be under prepared in 24..they are too smart for that

Obviously Deer Park have announced a lot of recruits and should be streets ahead of Div 1

Some will continue to play VFL?
Will the recruits fit in cap (especially coming from premier league to non premier league)?

A St Albans vs Deer Park Grand Final would be funny. EDFL clubs would be absolutely fuming.

As for Div 1 itself, it's not looking good. There will be 200+ thrashings most weeks as the difference between top clubs and bottom clubs. Hoping Glenroy, MV, KP and WM can turn things around as it is looking dire.

Season 2023 in this division seems like an absolute mess…

Deer Park taking the Pi$$.

WM seem to be on their knees.
Glenroy seem to be on their knees no recruits and heavily lost players.
KP have only lost players coming up to this division.
Moonee Valley - where are they?

Could be a season where the top half the Division 2 clubs could beat the bottom half of Division 1.

Also RE Westmeadows debt- if players haven’t been paid for 2 years what happened after year 1 when they weren’t paid? Something doesn’t add up. A 5k release fee per player is also nonsense.
Bit of a stretch here. KP walked through division 2. To say the top half of Div 2 is going to be better than the bottom half of Div 1… I think you underestimate the gap in divisions.

Moonee valley have done a terrific job to consolidate. It is tough for all clubs coming up from Div 2, but moonee valley proved it can be done after losing Padmore and a long list of other players.

It will be an interesting season. If I remember correctly, every team plays 4 teams once and the rest twice. I haven’t gone through everyone’s draw, but I assume Glenroy may be playing the good teams twice coming down from Prem, and the team coming up from Div 2 might play Deer Park, St Albans etc once. That will make a massive difference in how the season unfolds.

A St Albans vs Deer Park Grand Final would be funny. EDFL clubs would be absolutely fuming.

As for Div 1 itself, it's not looking good. There will be 200+ thrashings most weeks as the difference between top clubs and bottom clubs. Hoping Glenroy, MV, KP and WM can turn things around as it is looking dire.

I honestly don’t rate St Albans, WC will rinse them after their recruits.

DP and WC final

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bit of a stretch here. KP walked through division 2. To say the top half of Div 2 is going to be better than the bottom half of Div 1… I think you underestimate the gap in divisions.

Moonee valley have done a terrific job to consolidate. It is tough for all clubs coming up from Div 2, but moonee valley proved it can be done after losing Padmore and a long list of other players.

It will be an interesting season. If I remember correctly, every team plays 4 teams once and the rest twice. I haven’t gone through everyone’s draw, but I assume Glenroy may be playing the good teams twice coming down from Prem, and the team coming up from Div 2 might play Deer Park, St Albans etc once. That will make a massive difference in how the season unfolds.
I hope I’m wrong haboobz…
Westmeadows lost their entire senior list haven’t they?
KP lost their three best players that we know of… who else has gone? Who have they recruited? Who’s staying?

Glenroy lost most of their list. Coach only appointed just before Xmas.

Not too sure on MV but seem very quiet.

Reminds me of the old division 2 days when there were real gaps between top and bottom

Tullamarine lost McKernan, Prestia, Libba, Gobbo, a lot through retirements and others. Have picked up some quality such as Bartrop (Kyneton) and McCullum from Montmorency. So should still be their abouts and it seems a wasted year TBH to recruit big.

KP lost their three best players that we know of… who else has gone? Who have they recruited? Who’s staying?

Reminds me of the old division 2 days when there were real gaps between top and bottom

Tullamarine lost McKernan, Prestia, Libba, Gobbo, a lot through retirements and others. Have picked up some quality such as Bartrop (Kyneton) and McCullum from Montmorency. So should still be their abouts and it seems a wasted year TBH to recruit big.
Who’s the KP top 3 they lost?? They lost their best in Cavka but who else from the premiership side?

Who’s the KP top 3 they lost?? They lost their best in Cavka but who else from the premiership Who’s the KP top 3 they lost?? They lost their best in Cavka but who else from the premiership side?
Castello and Cavka. Would Brancatisano would be in their top 3? Who have they recruited?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think west meadows have lost their entire senior list but there is a bucket load of west players transferring out and nil in at the moment

Castello and Cavka. Would Brancatisano would be in their top 3? Who have they recruited?
They have only lost Cavka.

Castello resigned, and although Fab left, he wasn’t there last year. So essentially you exclude him from this conversation. Based on their list that won a flag, they lost one player so far. Granted that was their best player, but like I said with Moonee Valley, they lost Padmore, O’Brien and many others… they proved it can be done.

Unlike other years, the draw will be a massive advantage for the teams that play easier teams twice. Glenroy/Westmeadows might not have that benefit.

It is going to be a very interesting year. Division 1 is set to be an amazing year. Can anyone stop Deer Park and which 2 teams will get relegated?

I’m looking forward to local footy coming back :)

Castello resigned, and although Fab left, he wasn’t there last year. So essentially you exclude him from this conversation. Based on their list that won a flag, they lost one player so far. Granted that was their best player, but like I said with Moonee Valley, they lost Padmore, O’Brien and many others… they proved it can be done.

Unlike other years, the draw will be a massive advantage for the teams that play easier teams twice. Glenroy/Westmeadows might not have that benefit.

It is going to be a very interesting year. Division 1 is set to be an amazing year. Can anyone stop Deer Park and which 2 teams will get relegated?

The same list minus Cavka has them firmly in the relegation picture! Had heard a fwd from the bush has left too, the one that kicked 6 in the GF and averaged 5 a game.
Biggest difference with Moonee Valley is they have a great coach with a proven record, same can’t be said about KP.
Culture changes quick when your not winning every week!

Div 1 is set to be an amazing year??? You are seriously off your chops champ... Deer Park will absolutely dominate this B Grade comp, then St Albans and WC will smash the bottom teams by 200plus.. It will be the worst year B Grade has seen in a long time
KP will finish bottom 2.. They won C Grade last year with a bunch of weak players who can play a bit but didn't want to play a higher level because they don't like the hard stuff(exception Costello and Cavka is just a Nuffy)..

It is going to be a very interesting year. Division 1 is set to be
Div 1 is set to be an amazing year??? You are seriously off your chops champ... Deer Park will absolutely dominate this B Grade comp, then St Albans and WC will smash the bottom teams by 200plus.. It will be the worst year B Grade has seen in a long time
KP will finish bottom 2.. They won C Grade last year with a bunch of weak players who can play a bit but didn't want to play a higher level because they don't like the hard stuff(exception Costello and Cavka is just a Nuffy)..
Could not agree more Survey. This will be the biggest fizzer of a year in B grade that we can remember. No team is coming close to Deer park, they would be top 6 in Premier. Such a shame for the ‘best division in local footy’. I think with 2 teams going down we will see that come the second half of the season the bigger interest will be in the games that are shaping relegation. Would have to say at this stage there are at least 5-6 sides hoping to avoid the drop in KP, Glenroy, CB, MV and Westy. Roxy could easily fall in that category with a couple injuries. Those games against eachother will be crucial

Last edited:
People have short memories.
This division was ultra competitive last season. Valley took it up to every side last year except for AW and arguably should have beaten WC and Tulla. Roxy showed they could beat anyone on their day and look to have gotten stronger. Hillside are always competitive at this level, especially on their home deck. Rupo should be even better this year as should Crazy.
IMO, Keilor Park is a stronger team coming in than the team they replaced in Sunbury Kangaroos.

Glenroy and Westy could struggle but are they going to drop off that much in one season?

I don't believe DP are unbeatable. Its extremely rare for a team to go through a season undefeated or not go through a flat patch. The points system is a great leveller as well. EDFL footy is a bit different to WRFL footy as well.
St Albans are an unknown. Think they may take time to get up to speed.

Tulla have made finals in this division since 2013 - They always find a way to finish top 4 - Their win/loss record prior to finals is outstanding for the past 10 years. Maybe their preference is always to stay in this division. They have watched teams like Craigieburn, West Coburg, Northern Saints, Airport West etc. up & down like yoyo's with massive turnover of players and pressure on finances. I think they will be there abouts come Finals time ! Remember EK had the unbeatable senior & reserves team a couple of years ago until they hit Windy Hill.....

Tulla have made finals in this division since 2013 - They always find a way to finish top 4 - Their win/loss record prior to finals is outstanding for the past 10 years. Maybe their preference is always to stay in this division. They have watched teams like Craigieburn, West Coburg, Northern Saints, Airport West etc. up & down like yoyo's with massive turnover of players and pressure on finances. I think they will be there abouts come Finals time ! Remember EK had the unbeatable senior & reserves team a couple of years ago until they hit Windy Hill.....BC , there is no comparison between the EK team that Crazyburn wiped

BC , hard to compare the EK team that Crazyburn wiped on GF Day and what DP will put on the Park.
For starters, EK that day had at least 3 fatty's and a coach who had no idea and the players had no faith in.. DP have a playing group that would test most Premier teams , the club is used to playing higher grade footy and have a good coach.

Tulla have made finals in this division since 2013 - They always find a way to finish top 4 - Their win/loss record prior to finals is outstanding for the past 10 years. Maybe their preference is always to stay in this division. They have watched teams like Craigieburn, West Coburg, Northern Saints, Airport West etc. up & down like yoyo's with massive turnover of players and pressure on finances. I think they will be there abouts come Finals time ! Remember EK had the unbeatable senior & reserves team a couple of years ago until they hit Windy Hill.....
Nothing better than this day 🤣

That being said - DP even without the recruits coming in and out as per their availability, will still run rings around everyone

I don't think any president would force someone to stay, maybe used as more of a deterrent but I just can not see players being forced to stay if they want to leave. If thats truly the case, elect to transfer into an alie wrfl club and then transfer back into the edfl?? Would that add a player point? Im sure theres ways around it, after all $$ is all clubs want to clear a player these days

Who’s the KP top 3 they lost?? They lost their best in Cavka but who else from the Tulla have made finals in this division since 2013 - They always find a way to finish top 4 - Their win/loss record prior to finals is outstanding for the past 10 years. Maybe their preference is always to stay in this division. They have watched teams like Craigieburn, West Coburg, Northern Saints, Airport West etc. up & down like yoyo's with massive turnover of players and pressure on finances. I think they will be their abouts come Finals time ! Remember EK had the unbeatable senior & reserves team a couple of years ago until they hit Windy Hill.....
I can assure you the players preference is not to lose 5 grand finals beginning in 2007 just to stay in this division. You play to win but yes the club has had a level of consistency being in the same division for so long.

Though I’d expect the club (if it did win one of those 5) would not have been in a financial position to compete in the top division and would have yoyod back to Div 1 straight away. This happened in 03/04.

The same list minus Cavka has them firmly in the relegation picture! Had heard a fwd from the bush has left too, the one that kicked 6 in the GF and averaged 5 a game.
Biggest difference with Moonee Valley is they have a great coach with a proven record, same can’t be said about KP.
Culture changes quick when your not winning every week!
MV have a great coach with a proven record… didn’t they get promoted, then sacked their senior coach and replaced him with a club stalwart?

I love what moonee valley did last year, but going into the beginning of the season they lost a lot of their best players, sacked their coach, and we’re in shambles. Credit to them they clawed their way back.

Keilor Park are in a much better position than moonee valley were this time last year.

They will likely be in the relegation battle like any team coming up from a lower division would be, but they only play Deer Park, Tullamarine and St Albans once. Most teams will play them twice. That will make a big difference this year, people underestimate this.

If they beat Westmeadows, Glenroy, Moonee Valley twice… they survive. They can lose every other game.

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back