EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Lost their best player (possibly best in comp) for the year, H Farrelly done for the year with a knee. Also playing a heap of kids. Every team has injuries but losing a bloke who's good for 40 touches, 20 contested, 15 clearances a game and 30 Hitouts will hurt any team, just like losing Carlisle has hurt Craigieburn. Good effort today against a good oak Park side but just couldn't quite get it done. Parker's having a very impressive first season back up

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Still thought you’d be able to win the last 2 games
Relegation a concern?

Still thought you’d be able to win the last 2 games
Relegation a concern?
Don't think so. We've got a tough run of games to come but both the bottom 2 would need wins where they aren't fancied to stay up. KP have St. Albans (L), OP (L), WC (L), Moonee Valley (for arguments sake give them the win), Bye. That's one win I can see coming. They look relegated right now.

MV have Rupo (50/50 but let's say they win), craigieburn (w), hillside (l), kp (w), wc (l). Rupo, Craigieburn and kp games huge. If rupo win but they beat kp and cb , they are level on points with roxy by much worse %

We have wc (L), marby (l), Bye, St Albans and crazyburn to come. Cb game might be huge come he end of the season!

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Went and watched the Hillside Vs West Coburg . West Coburg mids dominated, Cleary, Baravi and number 13 had it on a string. Fitaax and number 17 for West Coburg provided great run and skills out of the back line. Taha looked dangerous, however his Hillside opponent did very well on him, Covelli despite kicking a bag was very well defended, I think West Coburg will struggle if they make it to premier div based on the fact that they have weak key position players. If they can find a key forward and a key back, as well as an established ruckman, it should hold them in good stead.

Went and watched the Hillside Vs West Coburg . West Coburg mids dominated, Cleary, Baravi and number 13 had it on a string. Fitaax and number 17 for West Coburg provided great run and skills out of the back line. Taha looked dangerous, however his Hillside opponent did very well on him, Covelli despite kicking a bag was very well defended, I think West Coburg will struggle if they make it to premier div based on the fact that they have weak key position players. If they can find a key forward and a key back, as well as an established ruckman, it should hold them in good stead.
Dane Lucas arguably the best key back in the comp didn’t play yesterday.

It’s Marby that are clear favourites I think but HS don’t fear WC at all. If Covelli stays injury free is the biggest weapon come finals.
HS dont fear WC. They beat them by 33 points on a big ground and without their two ruckman available plus missing 5 other regulars (including captain ) either injured or overseas. Also forced to play a veteran reserves ruckman who played 100% of game and he has not played seniors for years. Says it all really.

HS dont fear WC. They beat them by 33 points on a big ground and without their two ruckman available plus missing 5 other regulars (including captain ) either injured or overseas. Also forced to play a veteran reserves ruckman who played 100% of game and he has not played seniors for years. Says it all really.

Both teams had players missing
WC capitalised on their opportunities and their centre clearance work was elite.
Some Key moments and turnovers resulted directly in WC goals (pressure from WC had a role to play in those T/O)
WC were 14pts up at the 15 min mark of last qtr.
HS had the majority of the play in the first part of 4th.
I actually don’t think there is that much in it between the two teams.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
So did I (although left at 3/4time.. was bloody freezing)
Appeared WC were just too quick for HS.. and especially clearing from defence.
Marby are also quick, haven’t watched St.Albans yet so no idea on them? Dark horse maybe?

So did I (although left at 3/4time.. was bloody freezing)
Appeared WC were just too quick for HS.. and especially clearing from defence.
Marby are also quick, haven’t watched St.Albans yet so no idea on them? Dark horse maybe?
St Albans are yet to beat HS in 4 games since entering the edfl. WC v HS prelim to play Marby is my guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the Hillside v West Coburg game yesterday. West Coburg were definitely the better side, Hillside missed goals in the 1st qtr with the wind which was costly.
The WC mids were much bigger & stronger in the contest.
Baravi & Cleary both excellent games, M. Saad is a hard matchup plays mid/fwd & good around fwd stoppages. McCallum & Fitaax good games in defence.
Careless did a great lock down job on Taha, Pettigrove had a lot of intercept marks in defence, Faila & Prestia in midfield were solid.
Hillside biggest need for next year is a quality proven ruckman.

Watched the Hillside v West Coburg game yesterday. West Coburg were definitely the better side, Hillside missed goals in the 1st qtr with the wind which was costly.
The WC mids were much bigger & stronger in the contest.
Baravi & Cleary both excellent games, M. Saad is a hard matchup plays mid/fwd & good around fwd stoppages. McCallum & Fitaax good games in defence.
Careless did a great lock down job on Taha, Pettigrove had a lot of intercept marks in defence, Faila & Prestia in midfield were solid.
Hillside biggest need for next year is a quality proven ruckman.
West Coburg and Marby going strong right now, Hillside a touch off the pace. Comes down to these 3 teams, form and attrition come finals might be the key. Think they can all beat each other on the day.

St.Albans a rung back, tight contest with most likely 5th team Tulla. Oak Park and Tulla looms as key game if no major upsets before then.

Thought Hillside were dominant in ruck the week before, albeit St.Albans had Akintola injured early and Srour limping in 2nd half. Think Gobbo is honest and competitive enough in the ruck, and to get a real quality one in they tend to cost a fortune. Most overpaid players in local footy most of them. Tulla’s ruck got beat by Kretiuk on the weekend, probably the first time Kretiuk’s has ever rucked and Sikora is taking home a packet every week! Kretiuk also flogged Covelli last week, player to watch!

West Coburg and Marby going strong right now, Hillside a touch off the pace. Comes down to these 3 teams, form and attrition come finals might be the key. Think they can all beat each other on the day.

St.Albans a rung back, tight contest with most likely 5th team Tulla. Oak Park and Tulla looms as key game if no major upsets before then.

Thought Hillside were dominant in ruck the week before, albeit St.Albans had Akintola injured early and Srour limping in 2nd half. Think Gobbo is honest and competitive enough in the ruck, and to get a real quality one in they tend to cost a fortune. Most overpaid players in local footy most of them. Tulla’s ruck got beat by Kretiuk on the weekend, probably the first time Kretiuk’s has ever rucked and Sikora is taking home a packet every week! Kretiuk also flogged Covelli last week, player to watch!
gobbo on a lot of money too I’ve heard

Some great points Gremlin, enjoy your contribution to the Edfl postings.

That’s a great move from the St.Albans coach.

Some great points Gremlin, enjoy your contribution to the Edfl postings.

That’s a great move from the St.Albans coach.

1st qtr was telling and accuracy on the day was telling.
1.4 vs 3.0 WC and then after half time
7.8 to 7.5 HS including 2.7 in the last.

Yep bad kicking……

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Anyone has spare time on there hands humour me with your thoughts on what a free kick was paid for in the RP vs OP game on Saturday night. Watch the 1st qtr from 21:50 on let’s see what people think it was paid against 17 of RP for.
Looks like a new rule was just made up on the spot… there was no signal of any free kick within the rule book. 🤣

Anyone has spare time on there hands humour me with your thoughts on what a free kick was paid for in the RP vs OP game on Saturday night. Watch the 1st qtr from 21:50 on let’s see what people think it was paid against 17 of RP for.
Ball on the ground, he picks it up see’s opponent coming so deliberately stays crouched & drives his head towards opponent.
Opponent does a reasonable job of not getting him high. Does have his arm wrapped around his shoulder though.

Could easily be called play on but I don’t have an issue with free against no.17 for deliberately driving head at opponent.

I’m sure someone else will see it differently to me.

Ball on the ground, he picks it up see’s opponent coming so deliberately stays crouched & drives his head towards opponent.
Opponent does a reasonable job of not getting him high. Does have his arm wrapped around his shoulder though.

Could easily be called play on but I don’t have an issue with free against no.17 for deliberately driving head at opponent.

I’m sure someone else will see it differently to me.
No issue with you seeing it that way but can you post the rule where that is a free kick for doing that ?

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back