EDFL Div 2 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will there be a Div 2 next season? Surely the league looking at merging Div 1 and Div 2.

Cant have the potential to have a 6 team league

I think the thought of teams like Craigieburn & Tullamarine playing the likes of Keilor Park and Jacana (if they get back on the park) is more worrying thought than a 6-team competition. There would be some of the biggest scoreline blowouts in suburban football.

Agree Auk, I spoke to a long time Rupo bloke yesterday who reckons Rupo would still beat the current SK side by 10 goals plus, the RDFL top 6 would hold their own in the EDFL Div 1 he reckons. Surely SK are unbackable from here?
This would mean the margin (Rupo v Kangaroos) has increased.

Attachments

• 9B44A392-12BB-4301-B017-A37CF619D33E.png
    9B44A392-12BB-4301-B017-A37CF619D33E.png
    412.3 KB · Views: 251

Even if both KP and Jacana fail to get up next season and no new clubs join the EDFL there will still be 26 clubs and you would think the EDFL would revert to the 10-9-7 structure that was in place in 2018. Not ideal but better than returning to two divisions.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not the worst suggestion but I can't see it happening. Like posts earlier, will be no good having these lower Div 3 teams getting pumped every week

EDFL seem more likely to allow Jacana and KP enter a senior team only than not take their registration at all. More clubs, more $$ in their pockets in rego fees ect - Main priority of the comp

Not sure of Rupo’s constitution but doubt the clubs netball faction/branch would be interested in leaving the RDFL.
There’s a bit more to it mate. AFL Victoria have the wheels in motion to change the structure of regional competitions in 2 years to avoid so many sides going under. So someone like Rupo will find themselves travelling to Avoca to play. The main reason Sunbury Kangaroos crossed over this season. The furtherest they have to travel now would be Coburg Districts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great suggestion. or 12 sides in A grade, 14 in B grade. Three tiered competition not necessary.

EDFL are looking to make themselves bigger rather then reduce. Are we in the business of killing clubs? You go to 2 tiers that would happen, would just allow the EDFLs favourite clubs Keilor, Strathmore, Aberfeldie to get stronger.

They’re banking on teams like Ascot Vale to end up having seniors and no doubt they’ve got their claws in the growth corridor to the north which will add numbers back into div 2.

Thought the comment in the podcast last night was interesting about it not being mandated for teams to go straight into Div 2. Seemed to shut down a lot of the so called experts on this forum. The comp have stuffed up this decision (SK in div 2) massively to detriment to those existing div 2 clubs.

Well said

12 teams in A grade is manageable from next year, even if no new clubs enter the comp. Simply promote the two finalists and no relegation in 2019

EDFL are looking to make themselves bigger rather then reduce. Are we in the business of killing clubs? You go to 2 tiers that would happen, would just allow the EDFLs favourite clubs Keilor, Strathmore, Aberfeldie to get stronger.

They’re banking on teams like Ascot Vale to end up having seniors and no doubt they’ve got their claws in the growth corridor to the north which will add numbers back into div 2.

Thought the comment in the podcast last night was interesting about it not being mandated for teams to go straight into Div 2. Seemed to shut down a lot of the so called experts on this forum. The comp have stuffed up this decision (SK in div 2) massively to detriment to those existing div 2 clubs.

Yes in hindsight Sk could have played div 1 but that’s only because they recruited very well!! The side they had last year would not have dominated this division! Well done to them for recruiting but if they didn’t and played div 1 everyone would be saying the opposite as they would not be competitive!

Well said

12 teams in A grade is manageable from next year, even if no new clubs enter the comp. Simply promote the two finalists and no relegation in 2019
Agree. I think having two divisions rather than three would be more financially stable for some of the clubs in B grade. There would no longer be the threat of relegation for some clubs so they wouldnt at times have to spend money for the sake of it which in turn may even reduce the amount of $ some players currently are overpaid.

Yes in hindsight Sk could have played div 1 but that’s only because they recruited very well!! The side they had last year would not have dominated this division! Well done to them for recruiting but if they didn’t and played div 1 everyone would be saying the opposite as they would not be competitive!

Agree. They recruited purposefully. This team would hold their own in Div 1. Good recruiting on what they needed. I think they’d be happy with where they are, and the rest of Div 2 will be jockeying for an honourable 2nd.
But let’s hope one, two or three clubs make it a challenge at the back end of season, otherwise these clubs should start planning 2020 now.

Agree. I think having two divisions rather than three would be more financially stable for some of the clubs in B grade. There would no longer be the threat of relegation for some clubs so they wouldnt at times have to spend money for the sake of it which in turn may even reduce the amount of $ some players currently are overpaid.

I have to disagree on this one. I played in both the old 14 team b grade comp and the current div 1. As a top team in the 14 team comp it wasn't that enjoyable winning every 3rd game by 200+ points so I'd hate to imagine what it was like for the bottom 4 or 5 sides getting belted most weeks.
The three tier system provides so many more competitive games across div 1 and div 2. If it stayed as 2 div's I'm certain more clubs would have folded as having no chance of success is not sustainable. 3 divisions has allowed East Keilor, Hillside, Jacana, Hadfield & Roxburgh Park to win premierships with MV and East Sunbury coming close, this would not have happened with only 2 divisions.
Small divisions also result in less dead rubbers, you're often either chasing a finals spot or fighting relegation.

I cant think of any clubs that have panicked and spent big money in div 1 purely to avoid relegation, some have probably even welcomed relegation as a chance to rebuild and have some success in div 2.

I would also think its easier for div 2 clubs to recruit and retain players when they a chance of finals in div 2 rather than languishing at the bottom of a 14 team b grade.

Having 6 or 7 teams in the bottom division is not ideal but i think going back to 2 grades would be a step backwards and the EDFL would be trying to avoid that at all costs.

I have to disagree on this one. I played in both the old 14 team b grade comp and the current div 1. As a top team in the 14 team comp it wasn't that enjoyable winning every 3rd game by 200+ points so I'd hate to imagine what it was like for the bottom 4 or 5 sides getting belted most weeks.
The three tier system provides so many more competitive games across div 1 and div 2. If it stayed as 2 div's I'm certain more clubs would have folded as having no chance of success is not sustainable. 3 divisions has allowed East Keilor, Hillside, Jacana, Hadfield & Roxburgh Park to win premierships with MV and East Sunbury coming close, this would not have happened with only 2 divisions.
Small divisions also result in less dead rubbers, you're often either chasing a finals spot or fighting relegation.

I cant think of any clubs that have panicked and spent big money in div 1 purely to avoid relegation, some have probably even welcomed relegation as a chance to rebuild and have some success in div 2.

I would also think its easier for div 2 clubs to recruit and retain players when they a chance of finals in div 2 rather than languishing at the bottom of a 14 team b grade.

Having 6 or 7 teams in the bottom division is not ideal but i think going back to 2 grades would be a step backwards and the EDFL would be trying to avoid that at all costs.

What a terrific informed post by someone with actual experience of the scenarios. Thanks for that

Best post I’ve read for a while on BF. 👏👏👏

great post Personally I worry about the huge gap the in standard between each division in talent and Dollars is just to much for the lower clubs in div 2 at the moment ,Can you imagine the score line of Tulla or Craigie V KP ,poor old KP are getting the Shite kicked of them each week now little own paying the better teams in div 1

great post Personally I worry about the huge gap the in standard between each division in talent and Dollars is just to much for the lower clubs in div 2 at the moment ,Can you imagine the score line of Tulla or Craigie V KP ,poor old KP are getting the ****e kicked of them each week now little own paying the better teams in div 1

Spot on mate with the dollars spent. Can tell you KP have a budget of $60k including coaching payment, MV’s expenses are around 80k and S/Kangaroos are around $120k. Now I know people will jump on here and give there own versions but I’m giving my input on the basis of knowing valid people on each of the committees.

Spot on mate with the dollars spent. Can tell you KP have a budget of $60k including coaching payment, MV’s expenses are around 80k and S/Kangaroos are around $120k. Now I know people will jump on here and give there own versions but I’m giving my input on the basis of knowing valid people on each of the committees.
Good insight. I reckon you are about spot on. Interesting knowing what Coburg, northern and burnside are paying, just interested that’s all. Looks like 120k is where you need to be to win in div 2. Or lower, thoughts?

I’m not convinced Kangaroos budget is that high. Most likely closer to 100 which is a fairly high amount for Div 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back