EDFL Premier Division 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

U18 Greenvale
2nds Abers
1sts Abers
Here's confidence....saw John Larkins coming out of lets say a "Multi Cultural" shop over Barkly Street Footscray, had a massive box in his hands with some timber sticks protruding out the top...by the smile on his face he was either happy with his purchase or had just received some relief....by the way John, your fly is at the front of your pants..not the back.

Riveting match, could have gone either way in the end. Mores held sway for most of the day, but Abers fought it out right to the end. Congratulations to Strathmore for a superb win. Commiserations to Abers. Had a great year and could easily have pinched it.

Strathmore have now played in 3 GF's in the past 4 years. All have been 2 point margins one way or the other. Won 2 lost 1. Not good for the heart.

I was doing a bit of forward scouting for our final next week but from the txts and limited grasps of radio i heard it sounded like an absolute cracker of a game.
I'm looking forward to being able to download it later in the week.
Finally, while the loss will obviously hurt for some time, credit to Aberfeldie, getting 3 sides to Grand Final day is a freaking awesome effort.

Here's confidence....saw John Larkins coming out of lets say a "Multi Cultural" shop over Barkly Street Footscray, had a massive box in his hands with some timber sticks protruding out the top...by the smile on his face he was either happy with his purchase or had just received some relief....by the way John, your fly is at the front of your pants..not the back.

Save em till New Years Eve John!!!!

Cracking game, such high quality football and played under huge pressure, comfortably the highest standard of football I have seen in an EDFL grand final. All played I front of the biggest crowd I have seen for a gf at Windy Hill. Abers had there chances and have no one else to blame, Reimers very quiet, Courtney Johns had chances to kick goals on numerous times yet chose to pass it off and eventually turned the footy over.

Adam Winter must go down as the best big game player ever in the EDFL, always produces when it matters. Feel sorry for all involved at Abers will be hard to take but happy for Clinkers and the Strathmore boys who were the best team all year and deserved the win.

Courtney Johns had chances to kick goals on numerous times yet chose to pass it off and eventually turned the footy over.

From a Strathmore point of view, was worried everytime he got it within 60 metres with his booming kick but as you said, aside from the one long goal early, he tried to give off only for an intercept the next few times. Odd.

Great game. Heart stopper stuff. Thrilled for Clinker and the boys. 7 premierships in all at Strathmore this year and a further improvement to the junior programme in particular next year. Good club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting day and a great game of footy. Interesting the Mal was up in the stands with Peverill on a 2 way to the bench with Clinnick and Scar on the bench and didn't they fly the flag with Hislop during the 2nd qtr. Maybe the coaching battle was the difference and Clinnick's CV is looking pretty good and every player knew there role. Strathmore rotation of one behind the ball totally effective where Abers got lost at times. Wonder if Abers will chase a coach that can actually coach?

aberfeldie 8 pm last night - what fireworks !
IMG_3526.jpg

That's fair enough mate, I was just assuming as both sides have a reasonable number of "big ticket" players.
Don't think so BlueJet. Not a crack at you. But Abers had a raft of players who have each played more AFL games than Adam Iaccabucci's modest 4 AFL games. Blake 99, Reimers 60, johns and Hislop in the 20's, and Toy 13. They also had heaps of VFL experience, topped up with champion local footballers in Lynch and Lance Oswald, and also very good players from their superb junior programme.

Mores have a core group of players who have played in 4 senior flags, going back to 2005: Little, Winter, Mazzeo, May and Campbell. They also have other young guys who have been around for a few years: Staudt, Knights, Stapleton, Foulds, Rae. Purcell is another local product.

O.k. They have topped up with good VFL, SANFL, WAFL players over the past few years, like most EDFL Premier league clubs. No doubt they are on a reasonable earn.

But these players are no-where near as renowned, or dare I say it, as highly paid as some of the other imports in the EDFL. Blokes like Lyons, Arrowsmith, iaccabucci, Horne ( ex junior ), Jones have all had 3 seasons at the club. Todd Grima is in his 2nd season. These blokes have all produced on and off the field for the Mores. If these guys were highly paid mercenaries they would move on fairly quickly to better paid positions at other clubs. They are not fly by nighters. They stay at Strathmore because it is a great, professionally run club, with very good people at the helm, plus no doubt they are paid a fair and reasonable amount for their efforts.

There has been heaps of inaccurate and ill informed scuttlebutt, some deliberately spread around by the malicious and jealous narks, who love nothing better than to rain on and sneer at someone else's hard earned and well deserved triumph.

Strathmores player budget is no doubt in the upper echelon of clubs in the Premier division, but certainly not at the same level as some clubs pay.

This should not be interpreted as a sledge at Aberfeldie, they are also a great club, with dedicated and superb people at the helm. I know their coaching staff, committee, support groups. and payers have strived as equally as hard as Strathmore to achieve the ultimate prize. They could have very easily come out on top on Saturday. They must be devastated to go so close 2 years running. Hopefully they can win one shortly, but hopefully not at Strathmores expense.

I thought Mal Michaels speech as the losing coach at the premiership presentation after the match was extremely gracious and generous. It would have been incredibly difficult to front up like he did.

Last edited:
Don't think so BlueJet. Not a crack at you. But Abers had a raft of players who have each played more AFL games than Adam Iaccabucci's modest 4 AFL games. Blake 99, Reimers 60, johns and Hislop in the 20's, and Toy 13. They also had heaps of VFL experience, topped up with champion local footballers in Lynch and Lance Oswald, and also very good players from their superb junior programme.

Mores have a core group of players who have played in 4 senior flags, going back to 2005: Little, Winter, Mazzeo, May and Campbell. They also have other young guys who have been around for a few years: Staudt, Knights, Stapleton, Foulds, Rae. Purcell is another local product.

O.k. They have topped up with good VFL, SANFL, WAFL players over the past few years, like most EDFL Premier league clubs. No doubt they are on a reasonable earn.

But these players are no-where near as renowned, or dare I say it, as highly paid as some of the other imports in the EDFL. Blokes like Lyons, Arrowsmith, iaccabucci, Horne ( ex junior ), Jones have all had 3 seasons at the club. Todd Grima is in his 2nd season. These blokes have all produced on and off the field for the Mores. If these guys were highly paid mercenaries they would move on fairly quickly to better paid positions at other clubs. They are not fly by nighters. They stay at Strathmore because it is a great, professionally run club, with very good people at the helm, plus no doubt they are paid a fair and reasonable amount for their efforts.

There has been heaps of inaccurate and ill informed scuttlebutt, some deliberately spread around by the malicious and jealous narks, who love nothing better than to rain on and sneer at someone else's hard earned and well deserved triumph.

Strathmores player budget is no doubt in the upper echelon of clubs in the Premier division, but certainly not at the same level as some clubs pay.

This should not be interpreted as a sledge at Aberfeldie, they are also a great club, with dedicated and superb people at the helm. I know their coaching staff, committee, support groups. and payers have strived as equally as hard as Strathmore to achieve the ultimate prize. They could have very easily come out on top on Saturday. They must be devastated to go so close 2 years running. Hopefully they can win one shortly, but hopefully not at Strathmores expense.

I thought Mal Michaels speech as the losing coach at the premiership presentation after the match was extremely gracious and generous. It would have been incredibly difficult to front up like he did.
I admit to having nfi idea as to what the respective sides get paid. I just think that the idea that Aberfeldie would be buying a flag whilst anyone else would be doing something else is ridiculous.
Does anyone actually think that Grima x2 grew up in Tassie wishing for the ultimate success at Strathmore? Heppell in Gippsland? Douglas in Broadford? Of course not. (we're talking of a club that also spent a decent chunk of change buying out the contract of a rival clubs vice captain during the season for gods sake)
You mention various blokes recruited to Strathmore being there for a year or two as if it is any different to blokes like Johns, Hislop etc being at Aberfeldie for a comparable amount of time.
Ultimately whether a side has been "bought" or have been at the club since u12s, Premierships are incredibly difficult to win. Congratulations again to the 'Mores and all involved both on and off field.

I admit to having nfi idea as to what the respective sides get paid. I just think that the idea that Aberfeldie would be buying a flag whilst anyone else would be doing something else is ridiculous.
Does anyone actually think that Grima x2 grew up in Tassie wishing for the ultimate success at Strathmore? Heppell in Gippsland? Douglas in Broadford? Of course not. (we're talking of a club that also spent a decent chunk of change buying out the contract of a rival clubs vice captain during the season for gods sake)
You mention various blokes recruited to Strathmore being there for a year or two as if it is any different to blokes like Johns, Hislop etc being at Aberfeldie for a comparable amount of time.
Ultimately whether a side has been "bought" or have been at the club since u12s, Premierships are incredibly difficult to win. Congratulations again to the 'Mores and all involved both on and off field.
About time you went to bed isn't it? As I said at the outset, my post was not a crack at you, so please do not take it as such. I merely used your post as an opportunity to rebut some of the crap that has been previously posted here by ignoramuses re Strathmores supposed spending on players.

I re-iterate that a fairly high percentage of the starting 22 yesterday have been around for a long time, as distinct from some other clubs. They aren't receiving much ( if anything )at all. Whilst we are it I doubt if the Strathmore coaching staff are on anything approaching some of their more high profile counterparts at other clubs. That conveniently gets overlooked when talking about clubs football budgets.

Last edited:
About time you went to bed isn't it? As I said at the outset, my post was not a crack at you, so please do not take it as such. I merely used your post as an opportunity to rebut some of the crap that has been previously posted here by ignoramuses re Strathmores supposed spending on players.

I re-iterate that a fairly high percentage of the starting 22 yesterday have been around for a long time, as distinct from some other clubs. They aren't receiving much ( if anything )at all. Whilst we are it I doubt if the Strathmore coaching staff are on anything approaching some of their more high profile counterparts at other clubs. That conveniently gets overlooked when talking about clubs football budgets.

11 of the 22 that took the field were junior players I believe, then you have Richard Little and Adam Winter who have been there for 10 years.

I have no issue with you or anyone else correcting me. As i said I have next to no idea what some of those boys are on.
I was just operating under the assumption that whoever wins is generally spending a pretty reasonable amount to field their side.
In any event, my comment certainly wasn't intended as knocking Strathmore so if it was taken as a slight, i apologise.
As for whether I should've been in bed (??) I actually was up due to having to pick someone up from the hospital. Im certainly feeling a little worse for wear now though. Lol

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Premier Division 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back