EDFL Premier Division 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like to raise a discussion
Who would you rate as the premier foward in the comp

Keilor - Galea
AH - Rose
Pascoe - Warren
Abers - Reimers

Even though Galea is leading the competition would someone like Rose kick 100 if he was in a team like Keilor with many scoring oppurtunities ? Reimers best goal average ?

Some of the best forwards in local/country footy. Probably 4 of the best but I haven't seen every forward on obviously.
I think at local level Patty Rose is the best around. Did kick 100 a few years back from memory. I personally rate him above Galea. Riemers is a bit hot & cold but does kick big bags when his switched on. Warren should be the best but not sure some of the ground conditions suit his style but he did kick the most goals last season. I also rate Gourdis when he played at FF. Can really turn a game on its head and if left solely at FF could kick plenty.. What talent...

Would like to raise a discussion
Who would you rate as the premier foward in the comp

Keilor - Galea
AH - Rose
Pascoe - Warren
Abers - Reimers

Even though Galea is leading the competition would someone like Rose kick 100 if he was in a team like Keilor with many scoring oppurtunities ? Reimers best goal average ?

Galea for me.

However I think Cleve Hughes has to at the very least be involved in the discussion. Has been very good this season.

Galea for me.

However I think Cleve Hughes has to at the very least be involved in the discussion. Has been very good this season.

I guess we will all have different opinions.
I seen Hughes against Pacco and he was very quite. Didn't seem to appreciate a player playing him very close and didn't seem switched on. But it was only 1 game and he does appear to be a quality player no doubt.

I think Galea is a gun (as we all know) but can be covered by a similar size defender who plays him close. He can get agitated by close checking and does play for to many free kicks and known to argue with umpires if things don't go his way, whereas Patty seems to thrive on a bit of physicality and it gets him going. Patty is stronger in 1 on 1 contests however Galea does have strong hands on a lead.

Warren has a lot of tricks and is a great kick for goal, but does cover more ground than all other full forwards.

Good discussion boys..

So Turbo is Dusty playing for Douttas or Aberfeldie next year.

Hey mate, I would honestly be surprised if Fletch plays local footy. He might play a 1 off game for someone but doubt he will play local footy each week. If I was to pick a club it could be St Bernard's in the VAFA. Only my opinion!

Real danger game for Pacco today. They have a few outs and Avondale could be a chance to upset Pacco. Pacco cannot afford a loss at this point as it could define there season.

Real danger game for Pacco today. They have a few outs and Avondale could be a chance to upset Pacco. Pacco cannot afford a loss at this point as it could define there season.

Close but your boys got there Turbs. I witnessed an interesting game at Doutta stars. Only kicked 7 points to 1/2 time - no goals but completely controlled game in 2nd half. It seems more likely round 17 clash with Pascoe Vale will determine 4th spot. I think Doutta got a couple more injuries today so depth will be tested.

It would seem "17 points" we're the norm at Lebenon reserve. Amazing Strathmore could only kick 2 goals with their forward power but that is what windy conditions do.

Close but your boys got there Turbs. I witnessed an interesting game at Doutta stars. Only kicked 7 points to 1/2 time - no goals but completely controlled game in 2nd half. It seems more likely round 17 clash with Pascoe Vale will determine 4th spot. I think Doutta got a couple more injuries today so depth will be tested.

It would seem "17 points" we're the norm at Lebenon reserve. Amazing Strathmore could only kick 2 goals with their forward power but that is what windy conditions do.

Hey Footy, cheers mate for your reply. As I've stated mate I'm not going to any premier league games till big Deano is back. I'm still angry about that one as ive seen a lot of footy and that incident didn't deserve 4 weeks.
Anyway it's good Pacco got over the line and there season is still on track.
Huge win for Marby. Could Greenvale miss finals??

I was at Buckley park today for Douttas v West Coburg
EDS controlled the stoppages all day just in the first half couldn't hit a forward target inside 50. Soon as they kicked the first of the second half they kicked 5 in about 8-9 minutes and never looked back. Super important win considering results today and fixtures to come. Unfortunately a couple of players went down with injuries which adds to an already large injury list that just keeps testing the depth.
To be 3rd after 15 weeks is a positive but massive three weeks to come id love for the boys to play a final this season.
Three teams. two spots. Game on. Good luck to all!!

Hey Footy, cheers mate for your reply. As I've stated mate I'm not going to any premier league games till big Deano is back. I'm still angry about that one as ive seen a lot of footy and that incident didn't deserve 4 weeks.
Anyway it's good Pacco got over the line and there season is still on track.
Huge win for Marby. Could Greenvale miss finals??
A very real possibility from the looks of things, EDS, Gvale and Paco all equal at present and have Marby one game behind so it should be an interesting final few weeks.

Robbie Castello coach of the year I reckon. This should be acknowledged at the end of the season in the team of the year.

I agree Robbie has been great for Marby and he is still playing really well. Tough job to play and coach. IMO coach of the year is the premiership coach. I hear what your saying. Anyone else have a view on this topic?

Robbie Castello coach of the year I reckon. This should be acknowledged at the end of the season in the team of the year.

I agree with Outback. Premiership coach is coach of the year. Gives it a definitive and takes out any possible negative opinions. Then again isn't B/F all about opinions?
Interested to know the reasons for Robbie as your choice Turbo.
On face value he's done a great job with not only some victories against higher sides, but also with helping educate younger players.
Is your nomination based on you don't think Robbie has the cattle on paper to warrant those victories?

THis is my top 10 based purely on how hard they are to stop.

Lynch - Abers
F. Caruso - G/vale
Little - Strathmore
Bathie - Keilor
Galea - Keilor
Rose - AH
B. Ross - Pacco
Reimers - Abers
Toy - Abers
Cartelli - Keilor

Apologies to Allen, Blackwell, Mclean, McVeigh brothers, Cravino, Campisano, Lower, Brewer, De Luca, Gourdis, Browne, McGuane, Hollow, Vearing, Warren, Harris, Urquhart, Lewis, McIntosh, Iacobucci, Arrowsmith, Baravi, Bzenic, Yelland

Douttas are sitting 3rd on the ladder and you can't find one Douttas player in the top 35. I guess what they say about a champion team is true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with Outback. Premiership coach is coach of the year. Gives it a definitive and takes out any possible negative opinions. Then again isn't B/F all about opinions?
Interested to know the reasons for Robbie as your choice Turbo.
On face value he's done a great job with not only some victories against higher sides, but also with helping educate younger players.
Is your nomination based on you don't think Robbie has the cattle on paper to warrant those victories?

I think to have Marby where they are and to beat a few teams above them is a great effort. There list isn't as strong as others and there budget would be way less than a Abers or Keilor for example. Great effort I reckon. I usually say the premiership coach but think this year is an exception.

I think to have Marby where they are and to beat a few teams above them is a great effort. There list isn't as strong as others and there budget would be way less than a Abers or Keilor for example. Great effort I reckon. I usually say the premiership coach but think this year is an exception.

Coach of the year has to be premiership coach. Other coaches may have done a great job with there list/ budget but I think definitely the best way to do it is prem coach.

Another week and another result that puts us further away from knowing the make up of the final four

Marby's win has kept them in finals calculations and put GV in a spot of trouble

Marby would need to win all 3 to be a chance - with games against Keilor and Douttas (2nd & 3rd) they'd certainly deserve their spot if they were to get there

Paco/Douttas and GV have the advantage over Marby though and 2 wins from their remaining games would most likely be enough for 2 of those 3 to make it. The Paco v Douttas game in Round 17 is huge. Would suggest the winner claims a finals spot.

Cracking season and i think it shows that no one can tip any results with a great deal of confidence. Whilst Abers & Keilor are the 2 stand outs at this stage im not quite sold on them definitely playing off

Way to early to call i think! They have to make finals for him to be considered in my opinion. There 1 game + % out of the 4 atm so even if they win there next 3 they still might miss on % and if they lose to Keilor and douttas they will finish 6-7th which is not much of an improvement on last year.
Big last 3 rounds coming up to decide 3-4th spots, every game potentially being an elimation finals type contest. if one of them sides can come from 3-4 and win the flag from here would a huge effort

Keilor - fair last qtr!!! Got to give it to APW, takes a lot of courage to not give up till 3qtr time!!!! Bang.............

Just on something unrelated - At this time of the year where clubs look to resign players for next year(as pathetic as that is due to no loyalty from players), what is everyone's thoughts on how clubs should deal with players holding out and not committing? Surely in majority(if not all) of these cases the players are not committing as they want to get a better deal from somewhere else, therefore showing no loyalty or commitment to their current club so why would a club continue to pay these mercenaries where that club cannot make finals but not get relegated(Strathmore,West Coburg, Avondale in Premier , T.Lakes, Roys, Haddy in Div 1)....

And don't give me this crap about unsure on coach ect. ect/ ect... Players PLAY for the CLUB

Exceptions given to players who are open and honest about them wanting to leave due to out-side factors such as moving suburbs, higher standard, not committed to hold up standards of the club...Other than that , I wouldn't play(PAY) the bast*rds!!!! BANG BANG...............

Keilor - fair last qtr!!! Got to give it to APW, takes a lot of courage to not give up till 3qtr time!!!! Bang.............

Just on something unrelated - At this time of the year where clubs look to resign players for next year(as pathetic as that is due to no loyalty from players), what is everyone's thoughts on how clubs should deal with players holding out and not committing? Surely in majority(if not all) of these cases the players are not committing as they want to get a better deal from somewhere else, therefore showing no loyalty or commitment to their current club so why would a club continue to pay these mercenaries where that club cannot make finals but not get relegated(Strathmore,West Coburg, Avondale in Premier , T.Lakes, Roys, Haddy in Div 1)....

And don't give me this crap about unsure on coach ect. ect/ ect... Players PLAY for the CLUB

Exceptions given to players who are open and honest about them wanting to leave due to out-side factors such as moving suburbs, higher standard, not committed to hold up standards of the club...Other than that , I wouldn't play(PAY) the bast*rds!!!! BANG BANG...............

You would like to think the points system and proposed salary cap for 2017 reduce the player club hopping. If players move on, especially to a club in the same division, then the points go with them and they get an extra point for good measure. Clubs at the high end of the points cap like Pascoe Vale and Doutta Stars need to retain the majority of their lists for 2017 so the higher pointed players drop down.

With MaGuine, re-signed, is there any other coaches officially committed to 2017?

You would like to think the points system and proposed salary cap for 2017 reduce the player club hopping. If players move on, especially to a club in the same division, then the points go with them and they get an extra point for good measure. Clubs at the high end of the points cap like Pascoe Vale and Doutta Stars need to retain the majority of their lists for 2017 so the higher pointed players drop down.

With MaGuine, re-signed, is there any other coaches officially committed to 2017?
Yes , but my question is - How should clubs deal with mercenaries not committing NOW for next season?

3mtr Potter and 2 ton Mick committed for 2017

Way to early to call i think! They have to make finals for him to be considered in my opinion. There 1 game + % out of the 4 atm so even if they win there next 3 they still might miss on % and if they lose to Keilor and douttas they will finish 6-7th which is not much of an improvement on last year.
Big last 3 rounds coming up to decide 3-4th spots, every game potentially being an elimation finals type contest. if one of them sides can come from 3-4 and win the flag from here would a huge effort

Agree Robbie probably not coach of the year just yet however their improvement has been significant on last year.

Their season is certainly alive, more wins than last year already, they've had no 100 plus point losses (last year three), they've beaten Greenvale both times (last year lost both by 100 plus) and they've improved their defence by 5 goals a game.

They're in much better shape than last year.

It might be a bit early to sign to many players to contacts. If the salary cap does come in then you don't want to have spent too much before you know how much you have to spend. Otherwise your top end will be good but you'll fall away quickly if you playing kids not ready or up to it just to stay under the cap.

Pascoe Vale V Ess Doutta Stars V Greenvale

Pascoe Vale
Highlights
Round 12 - 32 point win against Keilor at Keilor. Kicked the first 5 goals of the game and were never headed.

Round 10 - 44 point win against Greenvale at Greenvale after losing by 83 points in round 1 huge effort a 9 goal to 2 second quarter the difference.

Low light
Round 13 - 67 point loss at home to Marby Park. Considering they been Marby by 67 points early in the season and coming off the back off a huge win at Keilor.

Round 17 clash with EDS looms as the one for pacco to make the 4 as they should win the other 2 games.

Pascoe Vale V Ess Doutta Stars V Greenvale

Ess Doutta Stars
Highlights
Round 1 - 84 point win against Strathmore (Away) to announce themselves back in A grade. Great to see the new faces play well. Allan hartwig marklew

Round 11 - 19 point victory over Aberfeldie. Abers had Allen and reimers out but you play against what you have too. The 'best' players played very well.

Low light
Round 13 - 4 point loss to Avondale heights. By the end probably should have won with 3 misses in the last 90seconds. But when you let a team get 42 points up you don't win many of them. Poor first half.

Probably have the toughest task of the three with Keilor pacco and Marby. 9-6 anything less than a positive w/L ratio will not do justice to the season they have had.

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Premier Division 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back