Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want a serious response it's more of an I don't know for me.

In the Wright era drafts, I think we definitely prioritised attributes over footy smarts. Outside of Nick, the kids we've taken are: Harrison, Draper, Murley, Allan, Ryan, HDM and Jiath

The type we've taken are going to take a while and can frustrate as they can look like headless chooks, but if they click - look out. Or in other words too early to say what we've got with Harrison, Allan, Ryan, HDM and Jiath.
Hine has drafted on attributes rather than footy smarts for a very long time, it’s not specifically a Wright thing.

Hine has drafted on attributes rather than footy smarts for a very long time, it’s not specifically a Wright thing.
Attributes and Wright were probably the wrong terms.

Hines been pretty open about his process over the years. He scores them against criteria or attributes and ranks them based on that.

If you do the same thing but change the weightings of the attributes, you'll rank your draftees differently and end up with a different skillset prioritised.

I think it's more than a coincidence that we've gone from regularly drafting kids like Bianco, Finn, Crocker, Phillips, Ruscoe who could play but we're a bit athletically challenged to the dashers of the last 3 years.

I think it's probably a Fly Leppa thing as we're drafting more like Richmond did and getting kids who can seriously run.

The downside is if you're not picking at the pointy end of the draft, the top end runners available are going to have a fair way to go, which is what we've seen.

Last edited:
Just saw he was credited with no goal assists, watching his highlights he hits at least 3 people inside 50 (Elliott twice and WHE) Did they all miss? Thats unlucky
The WHE doesn't count as it was a contested mark. You've got to give them an uncontested possession for it to register as a goal assist.

Irrelevant- we retained possession that’s all that matters. So your earlier claim no possession went to a team mate was incorrect.

No it's not irrelevant, it's actually super important to use the ball well in modern footy. That's bloody obvious.

Are you talking about my earlier claim when I said he only had about 1 clean disposal? Because I never said no possession went to a teammate, did you just make that up to make your argument seem better?

The king of spin, No Spin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The WHE doesn't count as it was a contested mark. You've got to give them an uncontested possession for it to register as a goal assist.
The Elliott one was contested too iirc

Irrelevant- we retained possession that’s all that matters. So your earlier claim no possession went to a team mate was incorrect.
I have to disagree. If a player is running by and the ball is delivered to him properly, he has that extra time to quickly find his target.
If he needs to bend down low to get the ball, he then needs to re-balance himself before finding a target.

I think it has a significant impact and it seems this season we were just that little bit off on a number of occasions when we were streaming forward.

Both of those were terrific kicks to exactly the right position.
The big thing for me was not only what you said, but they were quick decisions which allowed him to keep the ball moving forward without having Melbourne set their defence. That kind of movement is critical to the way we play.

No it's not irrelevant, it's actually super important to use the ball well in modern footy. That's bloody obvious.

Are you talking about my earlier claim when I said he only had about 1 clean disposal? Because I never said no possession went to a teammate, did you just make that up to make your argument seem better?

The king of spin, No Spin.
You said:
“Don't think Macrae had 1 clean possession that went to a teammates advantage”

He had zero turnovers so by definition the above is inaccurate.
Not turning the ball over and keeping possession is MOST critical in the modern game and Finn did that.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back