Club Mgmt. EFC Membership 2014- ALL TIME RECORD - 60K TARGET REACHED!)

Remove this Banner Ad

We were at 26,862 after the Advantage Payment Member numbers went through at the same stage last year.
I'm not as glowing of the membership numbers as some. 12 years ago we had the biggest membership of the Vic clubs. In 2014 we are only targeting 60,000 whilst Hawthorn, Richmond and Vollingwood will probably be north of 70,000.

This shows Essendon have lost it's way in growing membership and turning it's supporter base into members. Perhaps much of this I'd due to the Ethihad issue (Carlton also trade below par in membership), but I do get a bit peeved with the overall sense of celebration and glory about our figures when in all reality we are not performing well in membership when compared to our like piers and given Essendon is on a par with Collingwood as the biggest club in the land. It's not as though Richmond are about to win the flag but they will go past 70,000 in 2014.

What is the club doing to attract the hundreds of thousands if fans around the country as non match day member? Everytime I read these forums we have countless Bomber fans being turned away from membership because some ceiling has been reached! Collingwoid say they will reach 150,000 by attracting non match going members. We are being left behind.

Anything short of 70,000 for Essendon atm is under performing in my book.

I'm not as glowing of the membership numbers as some. 12 years ago we had the biggest membership of the Vic clubs. In 2014 we are only targeting 60,000 whilst Hawthorn, Richmond and Vollingwood will probably be north of 70,000.

This shows Essendon have lost it's way in growing membership and turning it's supporter base into members. Perhaps much of this I'd due to the Ethihad issue (Carlton also trade below par in membership), but I do get a bit peeved with the overall sense of celebration and glory about our figures when in all reality we are not performing well in membership when compared to our like piers and given Essendon is on a par with Collingwood as the biggest club in the land. It's not as though Richmond are about to win the flag but they will go past 70,000 in 2014.

What is the club doing to attract the hundreds of thousands if fans around the country as non match day member? Everytime I read these forums we have countless Bomber fans being turned away from membership because some ceiling has been reached! Collingwoid say they will reach 150,000 by attracting non match going members. We are being left behind.

Anything short of 70,000 for Essendon atm is under performing in my book.

If you expect Essendon to get 70,000 members after what happened last year then you're kidding yourself.

If Essendon had the MCG for a home ground, opposed to Etihad, we'd have more seats to issue, could drop the price, and wouldn't have numbers as low as the others. As soon as the AFL buys out Etihad, then Essendon membership numbers will skyrocket.

We are limited with the total number of members being at Etihad, but what that does give the club is more revenue per member. This is because you have to get a reserved seat as well as entry at Essendon home games at Etihad. But I agree that it is frustrating that a number of clubs have passed us in the total member numbers. If we can manage some success in the next couple of years hopefully 60,000 becomes the norm.

Collingwood use dodgy practises to gain members -

Something something governance something..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-...fined-by-accc-over-misleading-guernse/4899798
The Collingwood Football Club has been fined for misleading fans in an advertisement.
The ad was emailed to 90,000 people and printed in a Melbourne newspaper in May.
It said supporters would receive tickets to three games and a Magpies guernsey for $20.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) says the advertisement failed to disclose that figure was for the first instalment of a six-month payment plan that totalled $120.
It issued the AFL club with two infringement notices, equalling $20,400, which the club has paid.
The ACCC chairman, Rod Sims, says advertisements that state part of the price of goods or services must also prominently show the total price.
"We got a complaint from someone who received the mail out and the essential concern, and really the reason the law is as it is, is that people get drawn into buying something that had they seen the full price they wouldn't have," he said.
"Consumers should know the real price of goods and services so that they are able to make informed purchasing decisions."

They also fudge their numbers.
What memberships get counted?
Because the Pies offer pet memberships and other stupid things.
I know every club offers 3 game memberships but the pies had a 1 game membership last year, dont think they have it this year.

Lisa needs braces.

But wow, 57k in their roll over is uuuuge

Absolutely. Financially, I'd love to be in the position that Collingwood is in, because they're clearly the number one team in the league.

If their on-field performance drops in the next few years, as expected, then it will be interesting to see how the membership numbers look.

I suggest to the essendon "barrackers" who wont sign up whilst we are at etihad, dont complain when they are spending $2200 per seat for our next grand final.

If you dont want to attend games at the dome, the club offers seat buy back anyway.

Dont knock the membership department, it grows each year. Knock the fickle supporters, sorry "barrackers".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suggest to the essendon "barrackers" who wont sign up whilst we are at etihad, dont complain when they are spending $2200 per seat for our next grand final.

If you dont want to attend games at the dome, the club offers seat buy back anyway.

Dont knock the membership department, it grows each year. Knock the fickle supporters, sorry "barrackers".

why you wouldn't get a membership on Advantage ($13 a month) that is auto debited is beyond me..

No doubt Etihad limits our 'members' but we get a higher 'yield per membership' than other clubs.. so the $$ comes out about equal with the top clubs in the land.

Similar to West Coast and Adelaide, not just the 'figure' but actually how much each member is worth.

I sincerely hope that the club moves back to the MCG as soon as practical and we should be able to get to 70K easily. I would hope that we can create a 'home ground atmosphere' like the big soccer clubs in europe where there are 90% members and 10% allocated to opposition/others... Would be amazing to see the MCG covered in red and black!!

It restricts our ability to offer reduced game memberships like Collingwood and Hawthorn do.

Our membership revenue is very competitive with those clubs from memory, because we sell a greater proportion of 11 or 17 game memberships.

This I believe is the essence if our problem and the clubs challenge: You get the feeling that Essendon 'forces' it's fans to take up a package that represents a less than ideal offer. As a result supporters are reluctant to become a member. Seats that supporters are 'forced' to buy because The stadium is short of capacity, great difficulty and lack of flexibility in going to matches with friends who aren't members, booking fees. Interstate supporters required to buy national memberships at a cost of $140 with no game access etc.

Rather it feels that other clubs packages are structured in a way that the club welcomes it's fans with open arms and greater flexibility. Whilst the yield argument is valid, it doesn't validate the existing undercurrent if supporter disenchantment with the clubs arrangement at Ethihad and the apparent lack of flexibility and value in the membership offer for many supporters.

I wish the club would actually preach it's supposed ambition and 'listen' to it's fans because it's membership of only 56,000 and the countless fans speaking out on forums like this indicates it has a way to go.
This is a serious issue to address because clubs are overtaking us quickly and membership is pivotal in the overall health of the club. Even after taking away fines / legal fees, the club only generated a profit of $750k on the back of record spinsirshi, merchandising and membership income. We need to accelerate membership growth so the business can grow and Essendon to re establish itself as a leader of the competition in more ways than one.

The club cant cater for everyone individually.

To me, your in or your out.

If your in, you put up or shut up.

Most people who claim they dont sign up for specific reasons will just find another excuse not to sign up.

Im in

Huge jump! Very well placed considering what happened in 2013.

Have to wonder if the news coming out now will see a push in numbers. I'd imagine so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. EFC Membership 2014- ALL TIME RECORD - 60K TARGET REACHED!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back