Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given why Paddy (and a few others) want out in the first place (being injected with questionable substances threatening their career and possibly health) the suggestion of playing the moral high ground here is ridiculous.

Ryder is leaving for Money - Exactly the same as Beams - They use B/S stories about family members to get sympathy - It's a pity so many fall for the lies.

I suppose it would be a moot point to suggest that so far we haven't seen any players trying to get to Adelaide yet.. or Freo yet, or West Coast yet.. I mean we must be the only club that no one wants to go to right?

I mean what a shocker.. that most 'required' players have nominated clubs like Hawthorn, North and Port Adelaide to go to.. all top 4 sides this year..

I can't believe how upset some people are becoming because we haven't 'got' a player yet.. seriously.. calm down. As you would know.. I agree our club is far from perfect right now.. and it is a shitstorm..

But really.. are we going to flip out everytime some VFL/NAEFL level player decides to go elsewhere??

I suppose it would be a moot point to suggest that so far we haven't seen any players trying to get to Adelaide yet.. or Freo yet, or West Coast yet.. I mean we must be the only club that no one wants to go to right?

I mean what a shocker.. that most 'required' players have nominated clubs like Hawthorn, North and Port Adelaide to go to.. all top 4 sides this year..

I can't believe how upset some people are becoming because we haven't 'got' a player yet.. seriously.. calm down. As you would know.. I agree our club is far from perfect right now.. and it is a shitstorm..

But really.. are we going to flip out everytime some VFL/NAEFL level player decides to go elsewhere??

Essendon were never really serious in getting Garlet or Membrey if the club were serious they would of landed at the club regardless of what's going on it's been like that for years with Essendon during trade time.

Essendon were never really serious in getting Garlet or Membrey if the club were serious they would of landed at the club regardless of what's going on it's been like that for years with Essendon during trade time.
That is my personal feeling too.. club was probably 'happy' if either wanted to come to the club.. but I don't think we exactly threw the kitchen sink at either of them..

Garlett was a 50/50 call even on this board at the time.. and Membrey is a NAEFL player.. so meh.

Also Hird mentioned the 'age' thing on his video and hopefully the club is mindful of that.. I am OK with the fact we grabbed Goddard and Chappy to top up the list.. but we now have 4 guys on our list the 'wrong' side of the age ledger.. so getting some younger blokes in must be a priority.

It also sounds like we aren't concerned about our forward line at all.. Jim mentioned Ruck and Midfielders as priority.. not forwards (tall or small).. so obviously feels we can get back to 2013 levels of output and the forwardline will be ok.

I tend to agree... Joey D will be huge next year.. we have only seen a glimpse and it was good! Imagine him playing like he did in the finals.. but all the time. If JD comes good then our 'tall forward' issue is non-existent. As to the 'small forward' issue.. we still have a number of guys that could play that role, J Merrett, Z Merrett, Ashby, NOB, Browne, Chappy, Howlett, Zaka, Watson, Stanton and Goddard all come to mind who can 'rotate' through there with success. Also Kommer might make a re-appearance. Heppell also started going forward more late in the season.. with good results.

So I think the club might feel that the forwardline will sort itself out.. thus our priority is for Ruck stock and GREAT midfielders.. not more fringe players.

Personally I like the strategy.. why recruit a guy on the edge? I would prefer we only target guys that would DEFINITELY be in our best 22.. and would improve that best 22 significantly. Otherwise go to the draft and try to ensure we have a pipeline of talent.

Do we really want Butcher? We had enough trouble finding the goals this year without adding a guy that can't kick straight into the mix for next year. Don't know about Moore.

Good point - I shuddered every time we had a shot this year - even from the top of the square... (and with good reason)
Watching Butcher would take years off my life!

What are you basing that on?

Are you aware our club is in the worst shape it has been in since it's foundation?

Like anytime there is a 'major' trade on the table.. this year there is two with Ryder and Beams.. then everything really comes to a halt while those get worked out..

No different this year.. so stupid.. but so predictable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we dont take Jaksch with 19/20, dont think hes worth that pick.

Plus as said surely hed just walk to stkilda if the blues cant offer more than 26/27.

Who here is happy to trade pick 20 for Jaksxh when their is likely to be a Hugh Goddard or some good tall/medium floating around at that range.

Club has been very quiet on the trade front for several year and have publicly believed it is better to 'develop your own'.

However this could be the year to get really busy at the trade table if we can. Potentially I'd like to see four trades:
Trade 1
Ryder+ Dempsey to Brisbane for #5 (1st round) + #40 (3rd round)

Trade 2
Stanton + #54 pick (3rd round) to Melbourne for Jack Watts + #20 pick (2nd round)

Trade 3
Howlett + Pick #40 (from Trade 1) to WCE for pick #28 (2nd round)

Trade 4
Melksham +Hardingham to Carlton for #24 pick (2nd round)

So we lose:
Ryder, Dempsey, Stanton, Howlett, Melksham, Hardingham, #18 pick

We gain:
Watts, #5 pick, #20 pick, #24 pick and #28 pick

Gets us back into the draft and, like Brisbane showed last year, a heap of second round picks can turn into handy players.
Posted in September.. still looks pretty good to me..

Much better than Pick 17...

I hope we dont take Jaksch with 19/20, dont think hes worth that pick.

Plus as said surely hed just walk to stkilda if the blues cant offer more than 26/27.

Who here is happy to trade pick 20 for Jaksxh when their is likely to be a Hugh Goddard or some good tall/medium floating around at that range.

Id prefer Goddard honestly. But in saying that Jaksch has been in the league what, 2 or 3 years? Remember back in the day when big guys took tim. It's still kinda that way.

Its all a bit of fun mate.

It would be more worrying if the club actually did read these boards.. eek.

Just teasing, had a good chuckle at the Titus article last week and wanted an excuse to post it.

Just teasing, had a good chuckle at the Titus article last week and wanted an excuse to post it.
I heard that Watson was so upset that Hird is staying.. that he enquired about a trade to Geelong.. apparently when we had a quiet discussion with them about a straight swap for Taylor Hunt.. they said that because of Watson's age.. they would need our first round pick as well. Seems pretty fair to me. After all.. otherwise he will use "the claw"
toystory.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back