Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jack Package 's boy (Christian Petracca) go number 1. His upward spiral in the last 18 months has been phenomenal.

completely missed this and yeah unfortunately for us, started the year as a slightly pudgey undersized key forward and has ended it like a boss, and is IMO the best clearance mid in the draft.

The hardingham sud decision (and just the general finish to tonights game) has really confirmed that we lack leg speed. Port had blokes like Young, Polec, Pittard, White and Wingard who are all genuinely quick, and have acceleration to go a long with that.

We've got guys who run long, and blokes who can cover the ground really well when they wind up, but someone with the acceleration of Polec or White to compliment our great but a bit one paced midfield would be fantastic.

Having been driving the Keitel at 19 bandwagon I'm starting to take that back slightly... I'm thinking Laverde would be fantastic.

Brett Eddy bagged 7 & a BOG performance to extend his lead in the SANFL goal kicking taking his yearly tally to 50 yesterday, would love us to pick up a mature proven goal kicker.

Alistair Kefford kicked 4 yesterday taking his yearly tally to 22 and might fall into the same category.

Yesterday was the third time I've seen Box Hill play in the last two seasons and the number of tall, athletic key position and ruck prospects they have playing makes me jealous. It also highlight's the lack of projects we have on our list.

With Pears and Steinberg being two of our KPP "projects" the time is right to really focus on talls in this draft.

In the last few weeks we've seen Zach Merrett find space in traffic and break away from stoppages. We've got Colyer playing best 22 footy. Gleeson showed genuine dash in and ability to work through traffic while Aylett and Kav are up and running on the inside. Browne will also get what is likely to be his final chance. Dalgleish and Edwards are genuine wild cards that can provide pace from wing/half back. In fact, Rayner is also looming as a wild card for next year.

It all means that we have plenty of options to improve on our midfield which are already on our list.

Our first round will always be a trade off where you have to look at the respective characteristics of the players available and what is the best fit for the list. We should certainly be looking tall in the rest of the draft.

Last edited:
Brett Eddy bagged 7 & a BOG performance to extend his lead in the SANFL goal kicking taking his yearly tally to 50 yesterday, would love us to pick up a mature proven goal kicker.

Alistair Kefford kicked 4 yesterday taking his yearly tally to 22 and might fall into the same category.

Would love Brett Eddy on our list. Still only 24 (dob: 26.8.89).

Watch De Goey rise up people's wish list
Don't know much about him
Kid called Reece McKenzie kicked 10 yesterday in the tac. Big unit and a really good contested mark
He's not really the type of KPF we need, is he?
is our next pick after #19 a 3rd rounder? If not who do we trade to get into the draft?
Yes. It depends, maybe Pears.
Would love Brett Eddy on our list. Still only 24 (dob: 26.8.89).
Yep, he's looking like a solid option right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddy sounds alright whats his height weight? Still liking butcher though his on 28.19 from 11 games in the sanfl
194/90 iirc

This is our man at number 19; Fellow bombers supporters, I introduce to you (Chris25 's write up of) Jordan De Goey

Jordan De Goey
Height: 187cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: Midfielder​

In my latest draft update, I had Jordan De Goey going to Fremantle in the first round and I became interested in what other people thought about him. But then, I realised that there wasn't a single decent write up on him anywhere. I saw one that said he is unlike anyone in the AFL. Well, that's just lazy. If he was truly so unique, then he would be a once in a generation player and the #1 draft pick. And, while I do like him, that's just not true. So, if you can't find something you like, best to just do it yourself...

Perhaps one reason there isn't much written about him, is because he hasn't always been playing on the biggest stages. Back in 2012, injury cost him a chance to play in the U16 Championships. And again, injury meant he missed the start of the TAC Cup season this year. I should add that both injuries were breaks, not soft tissue or anything like that. And when De Goey is fit, he's also been playing for his school St Kevins. So in the last 18 months, he has only played 7 TAC Cup games - which I guess means it's a little harder to form an opinion. Although his form at the U18 Championships is quickly changing that.

As for where he plays, he is primarily a midfielder but a versatile one at that. De Goey has a natural ability to read the play across half back, but has also developed his attacking game over the past couple of years to become a dangerous half forward too. But, the midfield is where he plays his best football. And it's when there is a hard ball to be won, that he really shines. Without looking through all the stats, he'd be one of the leading contested ball winners in the draft. He throws himself into every contest, and more often than not he comes out the other end. But where that other profile was right, is that De Goey is in fact quite unique - because not only does he win the hard ball, but he can get around traffic with ease and has very clean skills to boot. Just one of those players who can create space out of nothing.

The only issue with his U18 Championships so far, is that he just hasn't gotten a chance to show off everything he can do. He has played a bit off half back, but primarily in the middle. And as a midfielder, about 70% of his possessions are contested. What's impressive is that his disposal efficiency has remained high (something not a lot of player with his contested percentage can boast) but it would be nice to see him freed up and get a chance to attack against top line opposition. In the TAC Cup, he has played a really high marking game and has pushed forward too. You can only beat who you're up against of course, but I'd like to see him play that same game against the South Australians - to see if he has the same level of success. He does have everything you'd look for in a top 10 pick, he just isn't quite as sexy as say a Jackson Macrae or Marcus Bontempelli. While De Goey might be better at what he does, he doesn't have the same speed or game changing ability.

So I suppose I should put my money where my mouth is, and talk about some player comparisons. Best case scenario for me, would be something akin to David Mundy from Fremantle. He has the size, the ability in close and the skills. The versatility to play at both ends helps the comparison even more. The hardest thing though for new draftees to hang onto at the top level tends to be the ability to create time and space. But generally speaking, the contested ability hangs around. So even if De Goey doesn't quite develop to that Mundy level, I could see him being a strong inside midfielder like Ben Cunnington from North Melbourne. What I like though, is that I consider Jordan De Goey to be a relatively safe prospect. Some players can be very hit or miss when drafted. A bit like Nick Vlastuin, maybe he doesn't become a top level player or an All Australian, but he should have a long career regardless.

the other boy I would like, a lot

Paul Ahern
Height: 181cm
Weight: 77kg
Position: Midfielder​

Continuing the theme of somewhat lesser known players, it's time to look interstate to small Vic Metro midfielder Paul Ahern. There are upwards of 15 players in the Metro squad who are fancied to go higher than Ahern on draft day, but if we're basing things simply on the opening month of the U18 Championships than Ahern may well be a better player than the majority of those. He's also been producing to a similar standard in the TAC Cup, a competition in which I've seen more of this season than in past years.

In terms of performances, Ahern really has been one of the best for Metro so far in the tournament - despite constantly getting overshadowed by those with bigger profiles. But, it's arguably his work which makes them look good. Because without his speed and ball use, the midfield as a whole would be quite one paced and the forwads may find themselves struggling. He's been averaging close to 18 touches for Metro, which isn't quite up to his usual standards for Calder in the TAC Cup where he consistently finishes with 20+ disposals. And impressively, he has recorded three clearances in each of the Championship games - an important point that I will cover later. And not only is he a ball winner, but over the past two years, he has been good for a goal a game too.

His value as a player is pretty obvious just from watching him play, and it's in the fact that he can do pretty much anything you need - he's fast and able to link up on the outside, he reads the ball off the packs up forward and is developing his game in the middle. You probably wouldn't play him down back, but I'm sure he could do that too if asked. But it's high half forward and running through the wings in which he plays his best football. I'm not sure he'll test lightning quick, but he plays fast and runs hard to be the receiver on the outside. And by foot, he uses the ball well - perhaps not elite, but he sums up the situtation well and finds his target more often than not. At the Championships so far, he is going at a tick over 70% efficiency.

But again, why is someone who sounds that good not considered a first round pick? Well, anyone who is 181cm immediately gets marked a little harder - unless you are elite at something. And Ahern probably isn't elite at anything, just good at lots of things. That may be what hurts his draft stock the most of anything. His contested game could still use some work, having typically been more an outside player in his career - but he has shown improvement this year, and is doing well for Metro so far over the past month. And oddly enough, for a player with good foot skills and what appears to be a natural ability in the forward fifty, he isn't exactly a sharp shooter on goals.

So where does all of that leave us? Well, for me Paul Ahern is projecting anywhere from the second to late third round, even though his performances would suggest he goes higher. But all that does is make the comparison to Luke Dahlhaus even more fitting. Like the young Bulldog, Ahern is good but not great at a lot of things and just has that knack for popping up just when his team needs him most. And overall, is just a very good little player.

I've been driving the De Goey train for a while as he'd slot in really well, but I fear he could go top 10, and it wouldn't at all surprise me if he goes top 15.

We'll still get a good player, it's just a matter of what kind. 6-7 sides could look to go tall (BL, WB, Rich, Carl, STK, Freo, possibly North and Port), which could push a handy mid down the order, which would be great. Alternatively we could also use a tall, so if sides view smalls like De Goey, Laverde or Weller as superior then maybe one of the marquee falls of this draft could slip through to us. And then you always get your bolters who shoot up the order out of nowhere (darcy lang last year) while guys who were locked into the first round all year slip out and become bargains (Crouch, Taylor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back