Speculation Elijah Tsatas [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sphynx

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Rival clubs could target Essendon midfielder Elijah Tsatas this off-season, reports AFL Media’s Cal Twomey.

Tsatas, 19, is contracted until the end of the 2026 season but has only played seven games in 2024 with the likes of Zach Merrett, Jye Caldwell, Sam Durham, Darcy Parish (once he returns) and even Dylan Shiel ahead of him on the midfield pecking order at the moment.

While the former No.5 pick is tied to the Dons for the next two seasons, Twomey expects clubs to consider him an option as an inside midfielder.

He thinks that clubs would be assessing him if they felt he could start in their midfield given he’s currently playing VFL for Essendon. But ultimately, any move would be in the hands of the Dons given his contract status.

“I’d expect clubs to take a look at Elijah Tsatas,” Twomey said on AFL.com.au’s Gettable.

“Would they try to prise him out of the Bombers if he can’t break into their midfield?

“Tsatas is an inside midfielder by trade, he’s a clearance player but he has some senior players ahead of him.

“Clearly he’s a top-five pick from a couple of years ago and is signed for two years beyond (2024).

“Ultimately, it would be up to the Bombers if anything eventuated there.

“But I’d expect he’d be a player that clubs are assessing going, ‘If he can’t get a game in their midfield, can he get a game in ours?’.”

Tsatas had 31 disposals in Essendon’s most recent VFL game against Port Melbourne.

He’s averaging 28.7 touches a game at the state league level in 2024 and 10.1 disposals across seven AFL games this season.

Since when was he an inside mid?

I could be completely wrong here but I recall him being a wing/HF high possession type who couldn't kick, when in his draft year.

If he's getting those numbers in the VFL as an inside mid then that's great. Way too small to impact in the same position at AFL level but that's something that'll develop as he gets bigger.

Since when was he an inside mid?

I could be completely wrong here but I recall him being a wing/HF high possession type who couldn't kick, when in his draft year.

If he's getting those numbers in the VFL as an inside mid then that's great. Way too small to impact in the same position at AFL level but that's something that'll develop as he gets bigger.

This part is correct.

Literally a pure inside mid is his only position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dons wont get anything like what they paid and he's contracted.

Unless they have written him off and have list spot stress why would they think about it?

Move him on while opposition clubs are targeting him. If Tsatas kicking is as terminally bad as it looks like it could be this off season could be the peak of his trade value.

any idea which clubs? very paddy dow pick with very paddy dow like issues imo.

will be too good for VFL but unless you can build a team around him to minimise his flaws he has no value.

Not a clue obviously the Dow comparisons are fairly apt although maybe even more extreme with Tsatas having an excellent ability to find the ball on the inside and out but with even worse disposal than Dow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Elijah Tsatas [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back