Unofficial Preview Elimination Final Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get X Lions legend Brendan Fevola in to help our set shot yips, this actually makes a lot of sense. >

For all the flaws of Fev, I saw him religiously hold the ball throughout his career the way he's explaining. Right arm all the way down holding the bottom of the ball and left arm just sort of sitting at the top of the ball.

Pretty easy on a forum. We all flag things unlikely to happen just to look smart if it does occur

Ah Chee to be a revelation in the ruck this weekend after Oscar is injured at the first centre bounce
Oh no. I'm not trying to look smart , I was just guessing . De Goey and Bobby were the 2 most likely to cut us up if we didn't mark them heavily. We had Lester making him on occasions and I just thought that was not ideal.

The club probably thought there were more dangerous players than him and based on their prior performance that was the sensible way to go. And we probably also thought at half time he won't keep it up.

Anyway that's over. Fages shouldn't go over it either. We did enough right to lead with 3 minutes to go so we had our chance. Who are we naming as the danger guy(s) to put extra time into against Carlton ?

That's all true. Except we did flag on here that he was the danger guy on the MCG in that particular game several times if we didn't get the right matchup.

Sure ,he probably fluked it. Maybe there was nothing we could do and it was just one of those things.

Maybe if we put more time into him someone else might've got off the chain.
I mean who knows, if the sun had not got in starce's eyes maybe bobby kicks one and we are rolling on to back to back flags. it really seemed to go his way after that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no. I'm not trying to look smart , I was just guessing . De Goey and Bobby were the 2 most likely to cut us up if we didn't mark them heavily. We had Lester making him on occasions and I just thought that was not ideal.

The club probably thought there were more dangerous players than him and based on their prior performance that was the sensible way to go. And we probably also thought at half time he won't keep it up.

Anyway that's over. Fages shouldn't go over it either. We did enough right to lead with 3 minutes to go so we had our chance. Who are we naming as the danger guy(s) to put extra time into against Carlton ?
Definitely looked like they were worried about Elliot as Starce played on him most of the day even when Hill was dominating. Waited a bit too long to pull the trigger on the switch IMO

"Carlton being in a semi final is good for the competition" - Gary Lyon

He's never been the same since Demons were beaten by us in 2022 semifinal. That was their back to back and I'm sure hairy Garry will never get over it.

He'll be good for 10 minutes. Its actually good for us if he plays IMO even though they'll get a short term sugar hit out of it
Sam Docherty kicking goals always seems to give them a massive boost.
So hopefully we can stop that from happening.

Hopefully Bruce’s objective in the VFL was to just get through a full game and pull up OK. Wouldn’t be anywhere near selection based on kicks, marks and handballs.

Thought Payne was pretty fair. Would like him to have another run in the twos, but as Booker T and the MGs once told us (instrumentally), time is tight.

Re selection:

Answerth vs Mckenna - i lean towards Answerth as i think he is a more honest player.. But hoping he is better than last game, seemed reluctant to go at the ball carrier. Might depend on the small threats Carlton have. No Owies. Williams and Martin question marks. Motlop the only other threat. McKenna takes the game on more and i think we have been missing that at times the last few weeks. real coin toss for me.

Sub - Bruce is easliy the most logical but was very quiet on the weekend. Sharp doesn't really suit given his weapon is endurance. It comes down to this really - if we are losing by 4 goals at half time our midfield will be losing. So if Dev were knocking on the door i'd pick him, but doesn't seem to be. Given our usual use of sub, unless there is an injury it just won't make much difference will it? And the issue there is Bruce has played one game in what 5 weeks, so if all he gets is a quarter as sub, he will be no real chance of playing a full game in the semi if we get through, given our vfl final is before our afl one this week. So if Bruce is NOT sub this might be why. I wonder if Fletcher might be sub? Seems to be down in recent weeks.

Match-ups - personally i don't think Harris can go on Curnow, too mobile. We need to put our two best on their two best though. So Harris to McKay, Payne to Curnow.
Cripps has been their best player by the length of the straight. I know Dunkley has done very well on him but in last year's final Cripps was clearly injured. I think it's time to crack open the JARROD BERRY MIDFIELD TAG. If it disrupts us too much in there the plan B can be Dunkley. But if we minimise the influence of Cripps they don't have anyone else going that well in there, and they seem very reliant on Cripps for emotional energy.
I would also like to see Ah Chee put some time in to Saad. He delivers a lot of their drive from hb

Re selection:

Answerth vs Mckenna - i lean towards Answerth as i think he is a more honest player.. But hoping he is better than last game, seemed reluctant to go at the ball carrier. Might depend on the small threats Carlton have. No Owies. Williams and Martin question marks. Motlop the only other threat. McKenna takes the game on more and i think we have been missing that at times the last few weeks. real coin toss for me.

Sub - Bruce is easliy the most logical but was very quiet on the weekend. Sharp doesn't really suit given his weapon is endurance. It comes down to this really - if we are losing by 4 goals at half time our midfield will be losing. So if Dev were knocking on the door i'd pick him, but doesn't seem to be. Given our usual use of sub, unless there is an injury it just won't make much difference will it? And the issue there is Bruce has played one game in what 5 weeks, so if all he gets is a quarter as sub, he will be no real chance of playing a full game in the semi if we get through, given our vfl final is before our afl one this week. So if Bruce is NOT sub this might be why. I wonder if Fletcher might be sub? Seems to be down in recent weeks.

Match-ups - personally i don't think Harris can go on Curnow, too mobile. We need to put our two best on their two best though. So Harris to McKay, Payne to Curnow.
Cripps has been their best player by the length of the straight. I know Dunkley has done very well on him but in last year's final Cripps was clearly injured. I think it's time to crack open the JARROD BERRY MIDFIELD TAG. If it disrupts us too much in there the plan B can be Dunkley. But if we minimise the influence of Cripps they don't have anyone else going that well in there, and they seem very reliant on Cripps for emotional energy.
I would also like to see Ah Chee put some time in to Saad. He delivers a lot of their drive from hb

Dunkley also dominated him in the other game last year and did a good job earlier in the season

Dunkley also dominated him in the other game last year and did a good job earlier in the season
I missed large chunks of the OR match tbh, i remember my 3yo was having a meltdown and i heard 5 goals being kicked from the commentary drifting upstairs, stuff of nightmares

Maybe he gets first crack then

what i liked about Berry's job v Bont is he seemed to completely demoralise him. Dunkley does a great job getting the ball and limiting players. Berry is a bit more defensive i guess? Having had the week off he would be cherry ripe, wind him up and let him at Cripps. Love how Berry seems to do it in a measured way too - no free kicks or going over the top and provoking teammates of the opposition to get involved.

Re selection:

Dunkley will get the job to start.
So it doesn’t upset the structure.
Berry at stoppages around the ground may roll with Walsh to try and curb his influence on the game.

I missed large chunks of the OR match tbh, i remember my 3yo was having a meltdown and i heard 5 goals being kicked from the commentary drifting upstairs, stuff of nightmares

Maybe he gets first crack then

what i liked about Berry's job v Bont is he seemed to completely demoralise him. Dunkley does a great job getting the ball and limiting players. Berry is a bit more defensive i guess? Having had the week off he would be cherry ripe, wind him up and let him at Cripps. Love how Berry seems to do it in a measured way too - no free kicks or going over the top and provoking teammates of the opposition to get involved.

Dunkley doesn't tag. He's just accountable around clearances. So he's suited to players like Cripps who do their damage around the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back