Unofficial Preview Elimination Final Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretty easy on a forum. We all flag things unlikely to happen just to look smart if it does occur

Ah Chee to be a revelation in the ruck this weekend after Oscar is injured at the first centre bounce
We will all come for you, if the Oscar going down part, actually happens.

You would think that we should win though thought that last game so a bit more reserved this time round. Cheer them on and see how we go. Wouldn't be surprised to see Will lift to another level.

All this docherty and injury stuff is just smoke and mirrors behind the windows.

80% of the injured guys they might select are irrelevant to our preparations, spuds. The 20% or so who are actually good players we know will come in and will plan for.

Playing docherty 6 months after an acl is a gamble I hope the blues make.

Dunks will get the Cripps match up, as he should as he has done well on him previously.

Doesnt change my opinion on wanting Berry to move back in there though, which I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. We looked our best this year when Berry was playing mainly on ball imo. Time to pull that trigger again now that games with meaning are here.

All this docherty and injury stuff is just smoke and mirrors behind the windows.

80% of the injured guys they might select are irrelevant to our preparations, spuds. The 20% or so who are actually good players we know will come in and will plan for.

Playing docherty 6 months after an acl is a gamble I hope the blues make.
100%.

The more players they have who come into this game after the types of injuries they've had the better imo.

They'll really struggle to run it out. Curnow and McKay must be big risks but seeing it's likely their last game it's one they'll take.

Dunks will get the Cripps match up, as he should as he has done well on him previously.

Doesnt change my opinion on wanting Berry to move back in there though, which I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. We looked our best this year when Berry was playing mainly on ball imo. Time to pull that trigger again now that games with meaning are here.
Playing Berry inside mid can create a few issues.
You don't want two defensive midfielders in Dunkley & Berry along with Neale together for extended periods.
What happened during this time being R7-16. Dunkleys time dropped and so did McCluggage.
You could argue we won 6 of those 8 games with 1 draw & 1 loss.
Ashcroft returned in round 16 and Berrys % dropped to 35% with Ashcroft getting just 23% on his return game.
With Ashcroft back Berry pretty much was sole wing from R17.
Lions won 6 and lost 2 during this time

I think we just leave it to the coaches, but it will not surprise me if Berry gets some inside mid time but not guaranteed.

1725268462348.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only my opinion but think the docherty thing is abit of a furphy. 6 months after ACL. Just get him moving around Ikon park looking like we are contemplating selecting him. Dont think so.

For all the flaws of Fev, I saw him religiously hold the ball throughout his career the way he's explaining. Right arm all the way down holding the bottom of the ball and left arm just sort of sitting at the top of the ball.
Don't believe everything you read. In golf and kicking for goal you have to look at how you hold the stick/ball and if your shoulders are horizontal. Look at putting in golf, there are players with reverse grip, players using broom sticks, conventional players and so on, there are 20 or 30 different styles but is all the shoulders are horizontal the green, the stick goes back twice as far as it goes forward and all the top putters have the same wrist position and finish in the same position. The general rule is it doesn't matter how you get there, it's the result that counts. Look at the great kicks for goal and their hands on the ball = parallel shoulders and hence balance. Like Fev some hold the right hand down, others the left and some both hands equal. Like golf you want a balance position with the shoulders following the lay of the land so when you start to move you're balanced and stay balanced. Golf is not a good analogy, put simply golf is a ball sport where the ball is not moving when you hit it. Footy, you're moving and the ball is moving, lots more variables.

The big thing is a balanced run, and balanced launch position and then compensation for right eye or left eye dominance. Sounds easy, but out there in the heat of battle, in the moment, players rush or forget their routine, loose their balance and off shoot - same as golfers. Just look at Scotty Schefler winning the seasons end by 30 under par - brilliant, then Youtube his bunker shot, total utter shank, misses the green and it rolls away, worse than any of our players in front of goal this year missing 20 meters out. The difference Schefler does it the once, shakes it off, steadies, and goes on to win.

Our players, currently, just don't have repeatable processes and allow one bad shot to generate another and another.

Don't believe everything you read. In golf and kicking for goal you have to look at how you hold the stick/ball and if your shoulders are horizontal. Look at putting in golf, there are players with reverse grip, players using broom sticks, conventional players and so on, there are 20 or 30 different styles but is all the shoulders are horizontal the green, the stick goes back twice as far as it goes forward and all the top putters have the same wrist position and finish in the same position. The general rule is it doesn't matter how you get there, it's the result that counts. Look at the great kicks for goal and their hands on the ball = parallel shoulders and hence balance. Like Fev some hold the right hand down, others the left and some both hands equal. Like golf you want a balance position with the shoulders following the lay of the land so when you start to move you're balanced and stay balanced. Golf is not a good analogy, put simply golf is a ball sport where the ball is not moving when you hit it. Footy, you're moving and the ball is moving, lots more variables.

The big thing is a balanced run, and balanced launch position and then compensation for right eye or left eye dominance. Sounds easy, but out there in the heat of battle, in the moment, players rush or forget their routine, loose their balance and off shoot - same as golfers. Just look at Scotty Schefler winning the seasons end by 30 under par - brilliant, then Youtube his bunker shot, total utter shank, misses the green and it rolls away, worse than any of our players in front of goal this year missing 20 meters out. The difference Schefler does it the once, shakes it off, steadies, and goes on to win.

Our players, currently, just don't have repeatable processes and allow one bad shot to generate another and another.
The footy isn't moving when you take a set shot except for the ball drop . So your positioning and timing when you drop the ball is critical. I like Fev's style because his hand positioning has more control over the ball and the angle it drops at.

It's sort of like putting in a way. The strike of the golf ball is like the kick of the footy even though the only part of the golfer that moves are the shoulders (and the arms follow). You have to deal with slopes ,speed of the green , funny angles and even dead straight. As you infer some guys just have an eye for it and others never will. But the reason top golfers move on from a poor shot or putt is that they have a set routine that they've practiced incessantly and have confidence in. It's the same in all ball sports ,basketball , gridiron , tennis every one of them. I just don't see that in some of our guys. Charlie in particular has no idea himself what he's going to do when he takes a shot. We need to do more work on that. It's just a skill that needs honing and constant practice. They're pro's ,they've got all day to work on it.

Fwiiw I think we'll bury Carlton. Their form's been abysmal and they've got injury concerns over several players.

We've got a full complement bar our ACL'S and have high motivation. We've kicked like drunks the last 3 weeks and have been subject to snooze time but we've also had passages of play at an extreme high level , far better than anything I've ever seen Carlton produce since the first quarter of the Prelim last year.

We just need to weather them coming out all guns blazing like they'll be revved up to do but I just can't see them keeping it up.

100%.

The more players they have who come into this game after the types of injuries they've had the better imo.

They'll really struggle to run it out. Curnow and McKay must be big risks but seeing it's likely their last game it's one they'll take.
100% Agree…..but the big but is reputation …take a mark or two,Kick a goal or two, get a free or two and ignore a free
Or two against them a fifty here or there to them and we have seen their worth in a short period of time ….IMO . we need to be 2 goals better to take THE 4 VARIABLES out of the equation …..come on lions 🦁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back